News

Happy Independence Day – Nigeria at 52

Today, October 1st 2012, Nigeria celebrates its 52nd Independence Anniversary. Quoting the words of the first Independence Day speech by Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Nigeria’s Prime Minister in 1960, “This is a wonderful day, and it is all the more wonderful because we have awaited it with increasing impatience, compelled to watch one country after another overtaking us on the road when we had so nearly reached our goal. But now we have acquired our rightful status, and I feel sure that history will show that the building of our nation proceeded at the wisest pace: it has been thorough, and Nigeria now stands well-built upon firm foundations.”

52 years on, Nigeria has been through its ups and downs. As many people would say, we are not yet where we are supposed to be but we are relentless, and we are still forging ahead.

Yesterday, at an interdenominational church service to mark the 52nd independence anniversary of the nation at the National Christian Centre, Abuja, President Goodluck Jonathan stated that he could not solve Nigeria’s problems alone and only the collective efforts of all would take the country forward.

Punch quoted the President saying, “Leadership at all levels of government is a collective thing. One person cannot change a nation. The President, governors, lawmakers, members of the judiciary alone cannot do it.

“The leader matters but he cannot change things alone. All Nigerians, men and women, will change things in the country.

“If God can use Nehemiah to rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, in all arms of governments, I believe we have many Nehemiahs. There are many of them among teachers, artisans, and clergy.

“God will use these various Nehemiahs to rebuild this country. I can say again that Nigeria will succeed; with our cooperation we shall succeed!”

As we reflect today, let us take a cue from the President’s words and contribute our own little quota to the growth of our Nation. Everyone of us has a role to play, and together, we can make a positive change in our nation.

Happy Independence Day, Nigeria!

What are your thoughts and hopes for Nigeria at 52?

Photo Credit: Nuru Jay Agbaje

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. shokoya Adedayo

October 1, 2012 at 7:20 am

GOD BLESS NIGERIA WITH A BRIGHTER FUTURE.HAPPY INDEPENDENCE MY BELOVED COUNTRY.

2. fokasibe

October 1, 2012 at 7:22 am

May God help us. I am seriously discouraged but I will keep doing positive things in the hope that it will get better someday. Father Lord, have Your way. Amen.

• Tosin

October 2, 2012 at 6:34 pm

touched. so honest.

3. purplepearl

October 1, 2012 at 7:31 am

Very true, this change lies in each and every one of us

4. omonigho

October 1, 2012 at 7:46 am

Happy independence to nigeria though I still feel like a slave bur I guess things would get better.

5. simi

October 1, 2012 at 8:15 am

God Bless Nigeria!!!!!!!! Even with all the bad news I know that one day Nigeria would shine!!!!!!! <3

• Wiseman of the wood

October 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm

When!

6. k.jay

October 1, 2012 at 9:41 am

Happy Independence Day

We shall provide you constant electricity
    We shall pump water, to every district and city
    So vote for me.

Are we still on that
    When are going to be we be past that

Leaders plunder our treasury
    Money kept away, in foreign bank
    Same promises made to we
    Since the 70’s
    People sleeping hungry
    Dreams dying while they’re living
    Youth’s way out is crime
    Others rapping and singing
    Maybe one day they’ll shine
    The very bold amongst them
    Go make cash at the shrine
    Those that can afford the plane fare
    Are feeling away as fast as they can
    Our school are nothing to write home about
    So many graduate, not enough job to go round
    Then they start with ka-booming my peoples,
    Up there in the north
    My condolence to them families
    Who lost loved ones
    What more can I say
    Too many hitches, to drive one insane
    But still I’ll bend my knees
    Still I will pray
    And in my little way, I will birth a change
    I refuse to complain
    After it is said and done
    This is my place
    In my heart, anywhere else
    Gets the honour of second place.

I love Nigeria
    I believe in Nigeria
    She shall raise again!!

7. Iloduba maureen

October 1, 2012 at 10:07 am

Our country is in chaos.God send us an angel to quench dis fire, 4 it is by ur divine interventnshal man prevail.

8. @ajiriavae

October 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

I pray that the Lord touches the heart of each and every one of us, to make us less of a nation of complainers and more of doers. I honestly believe that the major problem with this country is that we all know the problems and how to (in theory, anyway) change things but only a negligible number of us ACTUALLY do anything. I know the government has failed us, but even worse, we have failed ourselves. We are as much to blame as the corrupt politicians that we are always so quick to judge. Because the truth is that if more of us contributed, notwithstanding the ineptitude of those in government, we would be farther than we are now in development.

9. chike

October 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

Happy Independence Day Nigeria, it shall be well with you IJN. Amen

10. jason kelechi obeh

October 1, 2012 at 10:54 am

happi independence day celebration Nigerians,,,i take a cue from what the president said…building Nigeria is a collective effort

11. Chattyzee

October 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

That day is coming when Nigeria will be the envy of all Nations. I pray we will all live to see that day in Jesus name. But until then, no matter what happens, lets keep praying and keep the hope alive. God Bless Nigeria.

12. danti

October 1, 2012 at 11:48 am

Happy independence to all Nigerian, it shall be well to all peacefull Nigerian.

13. Jay

October 1, 2012 at 12:03 pm

God bless Nigeria!
    http:www.edifyempower.com

14. Jay

October 1, 2012 at 12:03 pm

God bless Nigeria!

15. ItsModella

October 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm

God bless Nigeria. Aluta Continua, Victoria Acerta (the strugle continues, victory is certain)

16. marille

October 1, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Happy independence day to my great country NIGERIA. i believe we can reach our goal if only we are supportive and love the country dearly. love u my beautiful nation with beautiful people.

17. timma

October 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Am proud to be a Nigerian,God bless our country and help us make it better In Jesus name,Amen..Happy Independence day

18. Bayo

October 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Happy Independence Day to you all! Let’s continue to pray and hope that Nigeria will eventually grow up and behave like a real, responsible “adult” among nations. After all, it’s now 52 years today it gained independence from GB and free to determine her own destiny! The so-called leaders have to be told in stark terms that it is now enough of: the corruption; bad governance; poor or non-existing infrastructure; the extreme poverty among the teeming population (in a country that ranks 7th among world oil exporters); completely collapsed educational system; moribund health service and hospitals…., and the list goes on, and on. Despite all this, I still love the place and I’m sure that one day our good God will perform His miracle on that nation (Amen). Once more, happy Independence Day.

19. NNENNE

October 2, 2012 at 1:48 am

Happy independence day Nigeria and remain blessed.
    Rome was not built in a day. We will surely get there in IJN.

20. Charles

October 2, 2012 at 8:13 am

Leadership is a collective responsibly and all hands must be on deck to move the country to a greater height We shall overcome all odds and get to our promise land our country is greater than any individual So there must be unity in diversity Happy independence Nigeria is marching forward

21. Tosin

October 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Chude likes to say just pick up a (farming implement of choice 🙂 and start digging. Basically, start doing your own bit. Not criticize. Not analyze. Not suggest. DO. Grab your own piece of responsibility and get down to it. Peace.

22. muazu idris

October 3, 2012 at 9:37 am

happy independence day god bless 9ja and give us good leaders ameen

23. muazu idris fafale

October 3, 2012 at 10:42 am

I love Nigeria
    I believe in Nigeria
    She shall raise again!!
    happy independence day Nigeria and remain blessed.