Music

#JusticeforAluu4: M.I Abaga Writes Touching Piece for Murdered UNIPORT Students – The Hope Is The Worst Part Of It

Ever since news of the gruesome murder of four undergraduate students of University of Port Harcourt went viral, some Nigerian celebrities have taken to Twitter and other social media platforms to condemn the act. One of whom is Chocolate City artiste, M.I, who has been praised severally for his great writing skills.

But this time around, M.I is not writing lyrics or poems. His heart-touching piece on the murder of the students – The Hope Is The Worst Part Of It calls on every Nigerian to be part of a change to ensure that this sort of thing never happens again.

Here is his story as published on MIAbaga.com

The hope is the worst part of it.

The way they lay there, beaten and broken, battered and bruised. Knowing their end had come for certain. Knowing that the crowd meant to see this through to the end. And yet, in the midst of all this certainty, in some small corner of their hearts, hoping. That something would happen, some miracle perhaps.

I am speaking of course, of the #Aluu4, students of University of Port Harcourt who were beaten and set ablaze last week.

I’d heard the news sometime last week and devoted all of 10 seconds of thought to it. I wondered briefly who the students were, and what could possibly have driven them to steal. I briefly wondered if they were really guilty but my mind quickly shied away from where that road could lead. I remembered all the stories I grew up hearing about thieves and the instant justice meted out to them, and mentally shook my head.

That would have been all, I suppose, but for the video. It is probably the most gruesome thing I have ever seen, and the worst I ever hope to see.

Hope.

There, I’ve said it again. Somehow it seems there is no escaping it.

Because when things like this happen, it seems our default reaction is to hope it will never happen to us or any one we know or love. Then we hope that our religion and hard work and luck will exempt us from senseless suffering. Sometimes we hope that right thing will be done, the wrong doers brought to book, and the victims receive some sort of justice.

Every day we hope the country we live in will be a better place for us and for our children.

And that is the problem with hope.

That we have allowed it to cripple us and render us inactive.

You , me, all of us who sit by hoping and doing nothing to change.

The question is not whether or not the 4 boys stole anything. That is quite besides the point.

Let us ask instead: What do I need to ensure my children do not grow up hearing stories like these?

What would it cost to make this country and are we willing to pay the price?

Because if I were there that day, would I have spoken up and done my best to put a stop to it? Or silently stood by, condemning the actions in my heart, but doing nothing? Would I have been seized by the bloodlust and fear and anger myself, and spurred them on with my shouts, and cries for blood, maybe tossed in a rock or two for good measure.

The society is a mirror of each of us. It is sad and sickening that this was allowed to happen. It shows us all what we are capable of, what w will each do given the right set of circumstances.

These 4 murdered men, their deaths should not be in vain. If anything good could come out of a mess so sordid, let it be that every Nigerian begins to think about the problem and what to do to solve it. Let it be that we understand the problem is ourselves and our failure to take a stand against injustice and lawlessness over the years. Let it be that we promise ourselves never to let this happen again. Not on our land. Not as long as we’re alive.

I hope this time we get it right.

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Laila Ikeji

October 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Soooo touching. #wipes a tear. May their souls rest in peace.

2. Ebiare

October 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

The most hurtful part is that people stood by as if in a theater, watching a play, if they were afraid the people would ambush them for speaking up, they could av atleast quickly gone for help. Even the people taking pics and video, why didnt they go for help. It’s sad. I have seen injustice first hand in the past but this im really surprised by. May God help us all.,

• Mana

October 9, 2012 at 8:11 am

Yes this was my first thought too! the bystanders looked like their were watching theater or they were in a Zoo! Very sad!

3. i no send

October 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm

thank you mr abaga ..there are few artists like you in this country..who speak up against horrific injustice like this instead of showing us the latest ride you acquired..bless you again

4. simdamsel

October 8, 2012 at 8:33 pm

The picture was all i could have nerve to view i couldn’t watch d video , d fact dat dey lived in a school enviroment alone is sometin and i wonder for like hours they were been beaten and batered so there is no one dat could call d police to come to their aid even d student around ??? Those murderer should be brought to book. Dis murderer too act similar to boko haram cus it takes courage and mind to take life ,it is a wicked act. Its so painful. No matter they ve done don’t deserve to die like dat. My heart bleeds.*****crying************

5. dipo

October 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

i think HOPE died in 93′,its sad but our problem is greed “we are too greedy to care about the next person”. may their souls R.I.P

6. faithowas

October 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm

wel said MI

7. timi

October 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Its a moving piece.The problem with Nigeria is not our leaders but Nigerians. Our leaders are products of our society. We need to learn to speak up whenever we are confronted with injustice,corruption and lawlessness.

8. Miss K.

October 8, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I concur with M.I. We need to become the change we seek. The alarm bells are ringing, it’s time to stand up and take a stand to bring our country back from the precipice. My gut churns within me at the horrible way this was handled, everyone deserves a right to due process whether guilty or not. Everyone deserves a right to safety unlike what happened to the Mubi students, unlike what has been happening in Jos, or Maiduguri, or….it goes on and on. It is no longer “their problem” or “a northern problem” or “a Jos problem”. It is OUR problem because this is OUR country and WE need to stand up and UNITE to CHANGE it or sadly, things will only get worse 🙁

9. HRS_Cindy

October 8, 2012 at 9:18 pm

My heart bleeds, ‘HOPE’ you say? I’ve lost that a long time ago…indeed, my heart bleeds

10. jennietobbie

October 8, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I still haven’t cried or seen the pix or video. I’m just Numb. Angry. Cold. Afraid…. aluu4 rip

11. Dammy baby

October 8, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Initially words failed me…….. To think a lot of people still believe it’s only the mad people we see in tattered clothes in the market that are psychotic. How do you explain this gruesome act? No human being deserves to die like that and only a pychotic person could have carried out such act. Couldn’t even watch the video. I am going through so much trauma just imagining what those boys went through. This piece brought tears to my eyes and I sincerely fear for the Nigeria our children would grow up to see/ hear about. God bless you M.I and may the souls of those boys RIP.

12. Princess

October 8, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Jungle justice, its something I have seen a couple of times; burning of a thief who cuts someone’s handbag, a kidnapper, a ritualist etc. The people lack faith in the police, when u hand over a robber and the next day you see the guy in a drinking palour and u would be scared for your life. The people standing by, maybe have be scarred by robber before; last year I lost a friend who was raped and mudered by robbers. Just imagine someone told me the criminal who pepetrated the deed who been burnt to death! Guess what I would not lose sleep!. The country is in trouble!

13. Karina

October 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm

All I can do is cry…..my heart bleeds oh Lord how I cry for their mothers all the suffering put to vain. Sure their parents would keep cryin seein the terribly n unhumane way their kids lives were forcefully ended oh Lord have mercy n give their loved ones d fortitude to bear this…..(no word to discribe it) lost *weeping….heart bleeding*

14. Sbaby

October 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Trust nigerians in showbiz to jump on every sensitive matter to divert part of the attention to themselves , these boys are not the first brutal casualties in Nigeria in just under two months

• Numommy

October 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I beg to differ…i actually believe our celebrities with proper heads on their shoulders may be the ones to bring about the change we all HOPE for. It is their voice everyone hears and not your tiny little voice in a comment section on Bellanaija .

The same celebrities have been donating to individual citizens who require one surgery or another, hence saving lives.

I do not believe M.I is averting any attention to himself what-so-ever…he is speaking for the masses…he is speaking for me and you without the mic.

These boys may not be the first, but we HOPE they will be the last…or atleast b4 jungle justice commences , someone in the crowd will be wise enough to call the right authorities b4 its too late.

May the souls of these young men rest in eternal peace.

• Sbaby

October 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

And My dear dbanj has just put his own stunt out, with all that story you wrote, you are prolly one of the people i’ am talking about,we are all entitled to opinions so leave me to write how i see it , each to its own

15. peye

October 8, 2012 at 9:38 pm

About the videos circulating, I condemn jungle justice but my main reason for this post is the fact that people circulate that those videos the way we see it. I personally decided I will not watch it while it was going round. beyond all the violence that is actually happening in our society now, we have to be careful about the more sinister effect of the circulation of some of these videos and pictures. During the Dana saga, people posted pictures of roasted bodies, we see pictures of exploded body parts during bomb blasts and we think seeing and circulation is just harmless. One of the things we have to understand is that a society becomes what it sees. you may even be criticizing what you are showing but the more that becomes the subject matter in you environment, the more it looks normal to you.
    It is not decent for a people to share as rapidly as possible naked people being brutally killed or exploded bodies just for other people’s consumpti
    on. would it not be enough for us to know people were blown up do we have to see all these gory sites all around. does getting pictorial representation make us respond better. I actually thinks it makes us adapt to seeing these violence and it becomes more normal. It increases our agitation and it makes us more comfortable with seeing these things around us. Think about the way you felt the first time you saw those terrible videos, then think the second time you see it and then the tenth time. you will gradually become numb to such things. Now you heard there was a bombing and you see people’s body scattered in the front page of a newspaper and it doesn’t move you as much.
    In sane communities the movie the passion of Christ was heavily criticized because it was considered too gross for general population consumption despite the fact that we all know it is a movie but an understanding of the effect of constantly pumping violent pictures into the atmosphere people live in is understood hence the need to control it. sharing just multiplies it, simple. I saw my colleagues shouting and almost crying when watching the videos but that didn’t contribute anything to them but to make them feel more unsafe. we have to know what is going on in our society by its not decent sharing some details.
    my whole point, when these things get to you let it stop don’t pass it across then we can preserve our sanity as a people.

• Molade

October 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I get you, seriously. Such images, after a while get you desensitised, and thats the 1st step in the erosion of your humanity. The next time, and next time, and next time you see such, you would no longer become shocked. Business as usual. I remember watching CNN as a pre teen, even with viewer discretion mentioned, the images were not as graphic. Fast forward to 2012, and the kinds of things you see on TV, made your comment really hit home. You will just know that worse is being displayed, and people just go by their everyday lives. In a few days/weeks, this would be forgotten. What used to shock people, doesn’t anymore. It is seen as normal. My teenage cousin came to me and said aunty, my friend forwarded this to me on BB. As innocent as she was, she asked me if it was okay to open it, I told her no. I mean she’s just 15. I said the world is evil, we all know that. We that love you can’t protect you from it, no matter how we try, but please extend your innocence for a little longer. Imagine seeing such an image at 15, and I’m sure younger children would also have seen it. Your childhood ends that second. In my presence, she deleted it, and promised not to open it if it was ever re-sent. I have also been campaigning to my friends not to watch such, I put it on my broadcast on bb and Facebook. DO NOT FORWARD PICTURES OR VIDEO LINKS TO ME. It doesn’t make you feel for those boys any less.

• molarah

October 8, 2012 at 11:17 pm

True talk oh. Only a few days ago FOX mistakenly aired images of a person committing suicide and they had to apologize profusely to the public for it. This stuff really desensitizes people, I tell ya. People can do things in such an irresponsible manner at times – what’s to gain from forwarding these images and videos to a child? Lemme just end my comments here

• jennietobbie

October 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm

• Idak

October 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I would not have typed the sermon i just typed if i had seen your well detailed post. God bless you. Please take a bow!!

16. azam

October 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm

is quite touchin dat those 4hommies had to die lik animals,my heart bleeds so heavily..just cant eat..may dia souls rest in peace

17. Princess

October 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Tell me what is the outcome of the Abia rape case!. The people need to trust the system, the people need to know when they call 119, 911, 191 there would be a quick response and the criminal would be persecuted.

18. janeth

October 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Tanx mr M.I i do apreciate ur words n concern. I knw mi follow studnt do apreciate . Tnx

19. Princess

October 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Let tell you a story. In the south there was this vicious group terrorizing the city, if they robbed u they must kill u, very vicious gang. And their was this radio program discussing the fear in the city, a caller who was unwillingly to identify himself actually said he knows one of the boys, and he was asked why he did not report the boys, he said if he goes to the police station that the same police would tell the boys someone came in to report them and the boys would kill him, that someone in their neighborhood tried it but ended up dead. If u are in his situation would you call the police to report any criminal

20. sam Kriis

October 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I sncerely want to say that the rate at which blood is shed is high my hope is that it.will not haunt us.beyond our capacity God! Help us

21. yeezi

October 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm

May their souls R.I.P.

22. Princess

October 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Jungle justice has resulted in senseless murders, how can someone burn someone alive for snatching a handbag that might just contain 20 naira, or kill someone just because a disgruntled neighbor just starts shouting thief thief. May God help Nigeria. What those Aluu people would say in their stupid defense is ” we though they were the robbers terrorizing the community and if we called police we might not have seen justice”

23. Dee-USA

October 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm

This is why I love M.I. He has a genuine ability to put into words, the thoughts of many; something the majority of Nigerian artistes are incapable of doing. I am haunted by the bloodied eyes of one of the victims. Unable to move any other part of his body as he sensed his end was near, all he could manage was blink his eyes slowly, one or twice, as if pleading for mercy with them. I can never forget that.

I can never forget the way the last of the victims remained slightly upright; somewhat defiantly, as he propped himself up with his elbow, refusing to succumb to the barbaric acts. And then one of the perpetrators, the one who joyfully pounded away as others watched without flinching, set the boys ablaze. That last boy who refused to go down, got up one more time and rolled away to get away from the fire. He refused to give up. I can’t forget this video. It’s worse than the videos of men in the middle east, stoning women to death for their alleged promiscuity. I cringed and flinched when I saw those women dropping down. I thought the worst about those men. I never thought I’d see my own countrymen commit worst atrocities. I weep for Nigeria.

We may never know if these guys were truly armed robbers, or cultists who raped a man’s wife or daughter and killed the man, or petty thieves, or students confronting another over money owed to one of them, or innocent boys walking at the wrong time of the night. It doesn’t matter now, because few members of a community already decided that no matter what, they were no longer fit to walk this earth.

• Molade

October 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm

did you have to transcribe the whole video. Geez, some people ehn. I tire for you o

24. simi

October 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Av neva seen anytin lyk dis b4 in my lyf. I said to myself,wot if it were my broda. I prayed for em wit tears lyk d thief on d cross for d lord to have mercy on their souls. Evrybody na thief some how oooooo!!! Jst say dey nva catch b d tin. Adieu!!!

25. Princess

October 8, 2012 at 10:00 pm

We need a drastic leadership change oh! Investment in education, research and development, as a country we have student studying biochemistry and chemistry, molecular biology, engineering but nowhere to research to explore growth for Nigeria. We should look at China and brazil. We will continue to occupy Nigeria, justice for Abia rape case, justice for Aluu 4 , but the real change needs a more drastic approach and no youth is ready for that revolution because it we love our lives too much me included

26. Sylvia

October 8, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Sad much, I only “hope” they at least get justice but then just remembered the Abia rape case and all I can do is hope

27. MamAi

October 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Tank you M.I , quite touching, none of these boys are thife. the two cousin ugona an llod are Rapstars, who has won a triffy in silver bird, ugona just came back wit his silblin. From dubai, they are all to do. Wat is laptop they claimed, they stole compared to ugonna,s Ipad? Ths is man inhimanity to man.ALuu commity an their generation will eat their blood, drink the innocent blood,die disgracefull forever. I bleed in my heart az I watch de video

28. Inori

October 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Only justice4aluu what about the rest of us ? where is my justice . I don’t condone what happened but i understand it .Who here has been robbed ? do you remember the overwhelming fear the hope that they don’t go crazy and if you are a woman the fear is 100 times more because they can decide to rape u for fun .Do you remember the abia state university girl who was raped and filmed where is her justice?who is fighting for her ? The fact they were in school does not make them less guilty or innocent ,if they actually stole then they ….. i don’t want to say deserve it.How do we tell a “good thief ” from a ” bad thief ” the sad part is that if these boys were on the other side they would do the same thing.

• meg

October 9, 2012 at 10:57 am

Pls can u just shut up. Do u know those boys. They are not theives. They are youths full of life and enjoy life just like every other child, going to cinmeas, hanging out with friends and they were killed like animals by demons. Pls those boys were good people cos they are friends of people I know in uniport. Tomorrow it mite happen to ur future sons so pls shut up. Those boys were not thevies. *tears*

• buchi

October 9, 2012 at 11:15 am

U still dont get it!!! Their innocence /guilt is not the subject here. The barbaric torture n death is what we r on about. Even Saddam Hussein/Osama were not treated like animals. These students were supposed thieves n u r a murderer. So what makes U fit to live. U say, U don’t condone what happened but u understand it?? Is that statement valid? God forgive us all

• Africhic

October 9, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ignorance at its height, if they stole do they deserve that? Your politicians are bleeding you dry and you say nothing.

29. Justice For Aluu 4

October 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I have always prayed that when the time comes to contribute to society’s growth, I would be willing and able. Now I feel compelled to stand up and condemn what is evil and make a difference. But I can not do it alone. I need your help. If you have seen the video or pictures of the murder of the four (4) UniPort students for ALLEGED stealing and you genuinely feel disgusted, please share this message.
    “I personally, as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, hold Gov. Amaechi accountable. He must ensure that every person whose face is captured in the video or pictures is arrested. Every one who participated in the beating must be tried for muder. The people who are shown encouraging them and who drew attention to the fact that one of the boys was not yet dead, are accessories to muder. The so called chief that decided their fate too should be tried for murder. If we get this one case right, people will be forced to stop and think before they participate in such acts of madness.
    I also hold the Nigeria Bar Association accountable. This people will claim that they did it because they do not believe in the judiciary. Take that as a challenge to show that you are not a toothless dog. Show us that you are an effective and capable body. I am personally insisting on justice for these boys.
    National Association of Nigerian Student, I hold you accountable, too. You claim you look out for student’s welfare. Do your job. Protect their interest by getting involved in the process to ensure that justice done.
    I also expect the Press to take the matter up and give it all the publicity it needs to cause action to be taken. The press needs to sensitize people to the fact it is murder to kill some one for alleged stealing. They must put pressure on the police to force them to protect people from this kind of jungle ‘justice’.”
    On Friday we will enter mosque to pray. On Sunday we will go to church to lift up Holy Hands. Let me assure you that our hands will be soiled if we let this go. We can make enough noise about it to get something done. That way, the chances of justice for these young men will be better. You have the power in your hand and you can decide to use it. Please share this, not only to get them justice but also to end this barbaric tradition of beating people to death and burning them. You never know whose life you may be saving.

30. Rukky

October 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Well said Mr Abaga, someone had to speak up and I commend MI for taking it upon himself to be the voice of the people–his words are full of knowledge and strike the heart of the matter at hand. I can’t say more than has already been said, a bit weakened by the entire situation, I can’t say much. But what I do know is that hope is believing in things unseen–I hope that Nigeria will be a safe law-abiding nation one day. I hope one day we will have little cause to lament and that peace will reign over the land so that when Nigeria calls, we are all glad and enthusiastic to obey.
    But for now, we stare at the grim face of our reality–a reality in which the majority is deprived of the BASIC fundamental rights to clean water, food and electricity. Like do you understand that if something is basic, the majority ought to have it and only a minority of the population should complain about a lack of electricity, for example. There are a number of issues that need to be addressed–both political and social.
    The society is a mirror of each of us–we voted for those leaders, we littered the streets, we robbed our fellow brothers…A patriot is not defined by someone with the loudest voice. A true patriot, whether individually or collectively, would send letters to the government expressing their disgust with this jungle justice or take more proactive steps by parading outside government buildings until justice is served. A true patriot would not ignore a call for help and only come to check the premises of a robbery victim hours after the perpetrators have fled the scene of the crime. A true patriot does not collect bribes. A true patriot fixes roads and provides adequate housing.
    Such jungle justice as is the issue at present, occurs when people, whether consciously/subconsciously, lack a pride and confidence in their Nation and leadership. I pray for the repose of the souls of the deceased students. I pray that this is the wakeup call Nigerians have been seeking for—we live in a highly unsafe society, a society that is a mirror of each of us.

31. faith

October 8, 2012 at 11:28 pm

The person that documented it with his phone is insane.I can’t understand humans anymore.its only in nigeria you see horiffic and barbaric acts and people are so comfortable bringing out their phones to capture it…four young men werew killed like flies and humans in their right frame of mind circulate it from one link to another,and from one phone to another.it goes to show that satan who is the ruler of the world is really @work…hearing of such news is disturbing not to talk about watching it.Well similar things happen daily in nigeria without justice and life goes on.I am beginning to think that animals co exist with each other better than humans

32. Concerned Native

October 9, 2012 at 12:11 am

i think nigerian government needs to wake up and use this lesson learned from this gruesome act to forge forward. We need to if we have to build a monument that dedicates to change with the face of these young men immortalized. They were our hopes 4 the future. But we need to stop looking and hoping like m.i has stated and start doing something.We can wait on the federal government forever, but if you truly want change, start with yourself, in your villages, help teach, clean and keep it in order, for only through those small acts can we start to believe in a better naija.

33. dafe otite

October 9, 2012 at 12:46 am

34. besty

October 9, 2012 at 1:00 am

Sbaby pls shut Ūя̲̅ trap if u dnt hv any reasonable contribution 2 make,even if D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣ are not the first brutal casualties,,but it must not continue we need to put ǎ̜̣̍ stop 2 it.

35. Amina

October 9, 2012 at 1:08 am

Unfortunately this is a daily occurrence in Maiduguri where hundred are tortured but only reported in the tens. Nigeria is in mad deep sh*t it’s scary. Our country has turned into what I saw in the news when I was younger and never even thought more of it beyond a half-hearted sigh. It’s such a shame, every single person in Maiduguri has someone close them perish in the ghastly way we have grown accustomed too. About time some high profile celebrities start making noise, maybe someone that matters will notice and try to help Nigeria. My heart bleeds for this our our country. We truly are screwed!!!

36. Nigeria!

October 9, 2012 at 1:27 am

Nigerians have succeeded in driving investors away, Nigerians have succeeded in driving their own people away, soonest they will succeeded in allowing God to turn His back on them. Nigerians are the ones that allowed the current president rule, Nigerians are the ones that subjected themselves to boko haram, Nigerians are the ones that have offered themselves to kidnappers, hoodlums, ritualists and so many social vices. When US witness such violence in some other foreign countries, they offer help and solutions while Nigeria within the last decade, within the last two years have experienced a great deal of bloodshed all we get from the advanced country is air time on their news channels, can we blame them? NO! Nigerians are unruly, Nigerians are ungrateful, Nigerians are selfish, wicked and greedy.
    This has been become the perception of Nigerians: cunny, selfish, evil and problematic, it has been generalized because that is the only news that people hear abroad. One problem after another, one violence after another. When i was growing up I didn’t know much but I was a bit proud to be a Nigerian, say the national anthem with pride but little did I know I was in my own little world. Dana aircrash, sosoliso aircrash, students dying in Maiduguri, Youth corp members dying in Bauchi, people’s family members being kidnapped and raped, and now people children that started off as young babies, trained, nurtured beaten like animals…….shame on you Nigeria…shame. What has Nigeria achieved this year, let the people of Nigeria sit down and reflect what positive thing have we contributed to this world of ours. Nigeria has succeeded in making families break down in tears and confusion, they have succeeded in making foreigners look down on them as barbarians…..What a nation?
    The murderers of those young men I don’t want to believe they have children or best yet family members, if not they would have thought twice. We go down on our knees every morning begging God to avert violent deaths from our lives….with Nigeria you really don’t know what you will get. Most people pray now to be able to afford to move their loved ones from Nigeria because most people have had more than enough of these disgusting acts. Nigeria can develop itself well on its own.

37. uchay

October 9, 2012 at 2:19 am

r.i.p

38. Eno Uwaja

October 9, 2012 at 4:02 am

So MI, beyond these moving words, what are the next action steps?

39. eggyposh

October 9, 2012 at 9:18 am

Many people are screaming and getting emotional but they will not hesitate to administer their own jungle justice on others if given the opportunity. Who knows the truth of what actually happened but that is not necessary anymore. The boys are gone and the pain they felt is over and no screaming or crying will bring them back. It is now up to us the living to change things and do the necessary. When your bag is snatched or a kidnapper caught, do you become vengeful and join those in the administration of jungle justice or do you report them to the relevant authorities so the law takes its course? Yes, people have lost faith in the law but have you also lost hope in humanity and the right to life? What happened to those boys is a reflection of our society and how babaric it has become. I was so angry when people were just shouting and getting emotional on all social mediums and most of these people have one time or the other administered jungle justice or hailed it. Can you recall in your university days, when you and others beat up a girl for stealing or is that not jungle justice? What of the time you and your fellow policemen beat up an okada man for hitting your car to the point of almost killing him? Or have you forgotten that kidnapper who was caught and stoned to death in the full glare of the public? The Aluu4 act reflects our society and what it has become. Our leaders are the champions of jungle justice. We hear of this case because they are handsome young men from well to do families. What of the jungle justice administered on the agbero looking boy from a poverty stricken family that no one got to hear about? So what am I trying to say? Let us change our attitudes individually and only them will we have the right to judge because none of us have the right to judge the killers because many of us given the chance will do the same thing without thinking twice. When you see jungle justice being administered stand up against it and if you are afraid of reprisals, get the relevant authorities or organise people to stop it. When you are wronged unjustly whether through stealing, etc do not get vengeful, let the law take its full course. The police and relevant authorities might have failed us and might keep failing us over and over again but then does it warrant that we take laws into our hands and then loose our humanity in the process? I think I have written enough so I rest my case and may God be with us!

40. zeebaby

October 9, 2012 at 9:40 am

Please, what of the evil boy that screamed ‘thief, thief’ ? couldnt he send for help when he saw the whole thing was getting out of hand? The heart of man is desperately wicked. People are getting away with all kinds of evil deeds these days. I shudder to think of the future.

41. kiks

October 9, 2012 at 10:17 am

What pain could be greater than this?……why would anyone take laws into his own hands? why is the heart of men so wicked? I was talking to a friend, asking why those videoing and recording the scene could not do anything to stop the beating and pains inflicted on those beautiful boys, i rained causes on them, but my friend made me realize that if those people had not recorded the scene, we wouldnt have known the extent to which those boys were beaten, battered and injured, we would have just heard that “oh! four young university boys were killed”. I do not support this though, only gave it a thought. May the souls of this beautiful boys haunt down their killers. THIS BREAKS MY HEART #sobbing#

42. ada

October 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

men are not hanged for stealing horses, but that horses may not be stolen.

43. Anonymousone

October 9, 2012 at 10:56 am

…..We all need to change. Its not enough to suggest that the perpertrators be ‘brought to book’, what next after that???.
    Everyone needs to get up and start influencing change. Start from the ‘Man in the Mirror’ -You/Me. The social media is a strong tool and should be harnessed positively. Let us fill our minds with only positive things, read positive articles, everything we take in should be positive. These are what form us as human beings.
    Nigeria is U, not GEJ or our leaders.
    I pray for change, I want change and I will see change.
    Nice piece MI.
    Nigeria Stand Up!!!!

44. Tayo

October 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

Shame on that community and everybody who watched the killing. Shame on those who felt killing them without trial was the best thing to do. Shame on the people of Aluu, Shame on the Uniport Student’s Union, from Friday uptil today, no Aluta flag has been raised. Shame on everybody who stood by and watched. Shame on the Governor of the state who said nothing the same day. Forget twitter, forget celebrities, forget Bellanaija and lindaikeji driven debates and internet protests, forget about internet age, forget about living in a globalized world. NIGERIA IS STILL BACKWARD, 95% OF NIGERIANS STILL THINK LIKE BARBARIANS, INFACT SHAME ON ALL NIGERIANS WHO SAID KILLING THIS BOYS IS JUSTIFIED. UNNA BE POLICE? UNNA BE JUSTICE SYSTEM?…..SHAME ON ALL OF US.

45. Hadassah

October 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

For those of us that grew up in Lagos, we used to hear about jungle justice, some even witnessed it first hand but this was the late 80’s and 90’s, I cannot believe that people still carry out this barbaric act till now! Where are we really heading to? Illiteracy and poverty of the mind is killing this country.
    Our country is passing through a great deal this very year. We’ve lost a lot of souls through voilence. Our legal system has failed us, the police and military have also failed, the educaional system has failed and of course the political system is a failure.
    Not like all these our lamentations would move the government but we would sha talk. And we thank God for artistes like M.I. that would speak up for every form of injustice.
    If people could stand and make videos and they didnot bother to get help, I wonder what kind of human beings we have these; some people are really unrefined.

46. idaz

October 9, 2012 at 11:49 am

The same way we all spoke plenty grammar for the ABSU rape case.
    that one died a slow death. This one too will.
    We as a a people died a long time ago. The kind of atrocity we condone is mind boggling.

47. Naija Sports Gists

October 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm

People that had time to record and spread this gruesome murder, do they think they were making a movie? I cant gather myself to watch to video clips. RIP guys! God willing, the killers will be found and dealt with.

• Idak

October 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I actually think the watching of the video tells a lot about us as a society than even the perpetrators of the act itself. I still cannot understand how we have sunk so low as humans to become consumers of rape and murder videos. It seem to have become a norm in our society. We only seem to express disgust as a means of justifying our ability to watch such. Anyone who watches any of the ‘popular’ rape videos that have circulated on social media in recent months and the video of this act being discussed at present, needs a thorough psychological and psychiatric evaluation. i just don’t get it. Are you watching to confirm the deed are real and not acted? Or you are watching to test your shock levels? Which exactly? In my book, both the perpetrators of the act and all those who have watched and are still watching these videos are to be pitied and deserve help.

48. jennietobbie

October 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Peye….thank you. glad someone knows this! i didn’t watch absu rape and I wont watch aluu4. And your comment is my EXACT reason. People think these videos wont afftect them…they better think again!! It becomes the new normal after a while…no. I don’t want a new normal, I want to stick to WHAT’S NORMAL. thanks

49. Ndumadi

October 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I’m so ashamed that i was born a Nigerian right now. My heart bled and still does. This barbaric and gruesome video went viral in Holland yesterday and i guess it did all over the world. A single hair on those boys heads is worth more than laptop and phone. SHAME ON THIS BACKWARD, GOOD FOR NOTHING NATION OF OURS CALLED NIGERIA. Worse things are happenning daily without being noticed or recorded. Tufiakwa!! SHAME! SHAME!! SHAME on all of us!!! Our land is overflowing with EVIL right under our noses.

50. voice of reason

October 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm

NIGERIANS OOOOOO> I am sounding out one voice of reason. Let us be outraged, cry, scream, be mad. In the same vein, let us be mindful of our words, our thoughts and actions. Such events dont happen overnight, they stem from a lot of rot in our society, and the pwoer that we give to the word of our tongues. There is power in our tongues, even the bible says so. I have been reading on some blogs, and a common thing I am noticing, people are screaming, that the same should be done to those men that killed those boys. Ehn, cna you imagine, with the same mouth you condemn, you are asking for their head to be cut offf, for them to be hanged, for them to go through the same thing, for them to be burnt, I cant even begin to type out all i’ve read, and how people cannot see the harm and the hypocrisy in their words, I dont know. How are you better than the Aluu people that did this, if you are asking for the same punishment? The boys should have been handed over to the police, people are saying, and with the next breath they are calling out for blood. Ah Ah. Ah ah. We all condemned these men, if they were caught today and all of you were there to watch, please tell me what you will do, please be honest. If you wont lynch them too. You see where the vicious cycle continues? Cos for a people to be uttering the kind of statements i’ve seen and heard, are we surprised that jungle justice still prevails in nigeria? We say these things with our mouth, with emotion, with anger and passion and we wonder when they happen. It is from people like us, that these Aluu people came from. It is from hearing and speaking such, when something like this happened in the past, such that when it was their turn, they meted out, what they had being saying they would do too, when they catch any alleged or true thief/rapists/cultist. Remember what people said too, should be done to the Abia rape case……. I dont remember many people shouting, they should have handed them over to the police. most of the commetns were asking for blood. Anyone following my train of thought? No one that metes out jungle justice, wouldn’t have thought about it, or said soemthing about it, or cursed about it, when they saw/heard it happen before. Ehn, how can another human being do this, in fact, such people dont deserve to live too, this this and that. So when Opportunity and Circumstance combine, GBAM, we have a scenario like this. So please, lets be mindful of what we say and how we react to this situation, cos it is the people of today cursing and raising hell with their thoughts and tongue, that will burn another “thief” when caught tomorrow. Nothing exists in isolation. These Aluu people didnt just become these overnight

51. Kizito

October 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm

It’s very sad nothing works in Nigeria. Those who pretend to do something have political and greedy motives behind their actions and only pay lip service.committes are being set up to investigate almost every serious crime in naija but what do they ever resolve.?they are only interested in drawing up budgets on how the money disbursed can be spent.these unrest are far from ending because Nigerians are benefiting from the funds being disbursed to tackle the problems.an average Nigerian is an opportunist who doesn’t care who he tramples upon to achieve their wicked aim.We can only turn to God as the religious houses have failed us.these unscrupulous elements are even celebrated. God sent forth your spirit and renew the face of naija. amen

52. mide

October 9, 2012 at 3:33 pm

No one deserves to die like this, let our no one, be no one o. Even the aluu people that did this. All this anger, should not be channelled, when these people walk in public o, cos thats how jungle justice starts all over again. I’m even scared sef, of all the anger and emotion we have whipped up, such will just ruminate inside of us, and keep fermenting, until its bursts out one day after provocation. Lord help us

53. precious

October 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm

My heart is heavy, my eyes are hurting ,am cold.what can i say may their souls rest in peace and may God the almighty one,give their families the fortitude to bear such painful loss. O! MY HEART BLEEDS FOR MY DEAR COUNTRY NIGERIA!OH GOD HELP US.

54. som-t

October 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Cant stop crying for this young boys beaten to death….May their gentle soul rest in peace…..

55. cathy

October 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

start doing right people, no matter how small

56. universe careers

October 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Justice must prevail in Nigeria!

57. NNENNE

October 10, 2012 at 3:24 am

“Let it be we understand the problem is ourselves and our failure to take a stand against injustice and lawlessness over the years.”
    RIP boys.

58. Concerned Nigerian

October 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

Below is what actually happened according to an insider….

An indigene of Aluu owed Ugo some money and had vowed not to pay back. Ugo who was popularly known as Tipsy had gone to meet with a fearless University guy (name withheld) to help them track the debtor who had been on the run.

‘Mr Fearless guy’ (a cultist) who was feared by many in τ̲̅ђƺ school ad accepted to accompany his friends to get the
    debtor tracked down in exchange for a percentage of the
    debt.

They were joined by their room-mate, Chidiaka. On their way to the place, they met one of their friend, Tekena, who knew nothing about the plan, and he joined, just for the hype as is normal with young boys of juvenile age.

That made 5 boys – Ugo, Lloyd, Chidiaka, Tekena and ‘Mr
    Fearless Guy’ that got to the debtor’s compound. Unknown to the other four, ‘Mr Fearless Guy’ who was contracted to intimidate the debtor just to get the money paid, went with a gun.

When they got to the debtor’s house around 12am, a fight ensued, as the debtor confronted them. A next door
    neighbour, a woman started shouting on top of her voice, that they were thieves, attracting other bad boys around τ̲̅ђƺ area, whom were mainly “vikings”, the rival cult group of τ̲̅ђƺ one on contract.

They swung into action by tipping the vigilante group who confronted the boys, referring to them as thieves. In τ̲̅ђƺ process of beating the boys, while they were trying to prove their innocence, the fifth boy, ‘Mr Fearless Guy’, who is a cultist, brought out his gun to scare the people, and he escaped, leaving the rest four at the mercy of the villagers.

The explanation they tried to give fell on the community’s deaf ears as the people insisted they must be killed….and unfortunately they were lynched!

Note:- this story is an eyewitness account from the 5th boy who escaped. He narrated this to Ugo and Lloyd’s friend who has pleaded that his identity be kept secret.

• Princess

October 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

This story sounds really true.

59. Incredible Grace

October 10, 2012 at 10:19 am

MI has said it well. It is not about if what they did was right or wrong but what would we who are neutral citizens without any position have done if we were there. I have been qustioning myself on it 2 but i have not answered it. Does it mean all who witnessed as well as spread d videaos supported the action of d murdrers? NO. but i dont think anyone had d guts or courage to stop it but rather hope that the police will come n rescue d situation or that their family or friends will not be involved. My point is, as Nigerians, we should not keep blaming d law and using one wrong to right another wrong. Some people had blogged on d 1st instance that people where tired of a crippled law that was not giving criminals the judgement they deserved and someone even justified it by saying we or our loved ones have valuables being stollen from dem n that if we had d opportunity wouldn’t we land dem one slap? Can u imagine? and i ask would u rather b a murderer than let d one u call a criminal b put in prison? We need to question ourselves before condemning d system which we already knw is crippled. @ sbaby, dn’t think Mi’s bringing attention 2 himself n even if its not d 1st time such is happening, dnt u think dat it is high time 2 speak publicly about it or has anyone in show biz has spoken against or about it? I guess even if he really is, we should b happy its towards d right course.

60. Folajimi

October 10, 2012 at 10:38 am

Injustice through Inaction has always been inbred in us, Hoping as you said.
    We MUST start to CHOOSE right.

61. Folajimi

October 10, 2012 at 10:39 am

What price would you pay to see the Justice being done in NIgeria

62. Faith

October 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Since i heard the news about the murdered uniport students i have not been myself. I saw the video 2 nights ago my heart has been aching. I could not sleep all through last night. I wonder what the family members are going through. Please let us not let this horrible crime go unpunished; let us raise our voices and be heard for once. May God have mercy on our country NIGERIA.

63. Peace101

October 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I think i am still dreaming may be i should wake up. I cant believe this whole thing is happening in Nigeria. I am so so scared. I am even so scared of going out because you never know who is out there waiting to kill you. God i don’t think those killers have heart. I cant stop crying. I pray their parents don’t rest until that community goes down. Revenge Revenge Revenge that is all i can feel right now. What is phone and laptop Rubbish. I hate the way i feel right now. God please help Nigeria.

64. Ed

October 11, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Very well said and pertinent questions asked.
    We all should ask ourselves once more what we will do in this situation and similar ones with religious undertone, everyone should go figure out and may be just may be peace will return to our dear country Nigeria. Amen.

65. Godswill David

October 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm

well said mr incredible led guy