News

Parents of Murdered UNIPORT Students Seek for Justice through BBC Radio Interview & Petition to the Senate

The pain of losing a child must be one of the worst things any parent could ever face. It is hard to imagine the emotional pains the parents of the slain students of University of Port Harcourt must be facing at this time. We extend our condolences to the families and pray that God grants them the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.

The barbaric way the boys were murdered, though painful, is one that must be protested and some of the parents of the slain victims have made their voices heard, calling for justice.

In a telephone interview with the BBC  in London, the fathers of two of the victims, Lloyd Michael and Chiadika Biringa spoke about their sons, how they heard about their death and how they feel towards the people who murdered their sons.

When Lloyd”s father was asked if he ever thought something like this could happen, his response was: “Never in my life. I never ever thought this sort of thing could happen in my country in the 21st century. Never. This is barbaric.”

When asked if he spoke to any of the people in the crowd who helped to kill his son, he said “Yes I did, I spoke to one or two persons… but nobody was able to give me a clue”

Despite all that has happened, he said “I still believe that what has happened to my son and his friends will never ever happen again if the right steps are taken.”

Chiadika Biringa’s father spoke about the anger he felt about the murder of his 20 year-old son “I’ve never seen such level of callousness been meted on an innocent soul, a child. It brings about anger and that anger is now with me until justice is done on this matter.”

He added that he would like the murderers to be caught and for justice to prevail.

Click here to listen to the interview.

Similarly, Chinwe Biringa, mother of the murdered Chiadika Biringa, who was a 200Level student of Theatre Arts at UNIPORT wrote a heart touching petition to the Senate President. The petition dated 9 October, 2012 with the title – Petition: Gruesome murder of my son at Aluu, University of Port Harcourt host community – was signed “Heartbroken mother”

The petition

Part of the letter which was addressed to the senate president reads: “my name is Mrs. Chinwe Biringa. I am the mother of Mr. Chiadika Biringa, a second year student of Theatre Arts at the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT). My husband is a very senior staff officer at the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC.

“My son turned 20 years old this week and we gave him pocket money to celebrate it with his friends. On Friday morning, we were called by my second son, also a UNIPORT student that all was not well and he was hearing bad rumours that villagers at ALUU, the host community of UNIPORT had murdered four students. I immediately rushed to the scene only to see my son’s dead body being taken away naked to a mortuary in UNIPORT Teaching Hospital. I could not believe my eyes and collapsed.

“What did my son do? What did the other three young men who died with him do? First, we heard that the four students were alleged to have stolen a Blackberry phone and a laptop computer. This could not be further from the truth. My son has had a Blackberry phone and in fact a laptop computer since he was in primary school. No way could my son steal such a common thing as a cell phone which every village woman now owns.

“We have been subjected to several gory videos and pictures on the internet. This shows that someone filmed the whole barbarism from beginning to end. My son and his friends were savagely beaten and burnt to death while villagers at ALUU watched. All this has been caught on film!

“The video shows that all this was filmed in broad day light which suggests that they were killed after 7.30 am. Further investigation has revealed that they left their friend’s house at ALUU at about 7 am to go and prepare for lectures.

“To waylay them and beat them with planks until they died like chicken is the most savage thing one can witness in Nigeria of 2012. First they were stripped naked, marched around like frogs and then beaten to death. What savagery and bestiality.

“My husband and I want only two things, namely: (a) To clear the name of Chiadika, (b) justice

“Your Excellency, every responsible parent knows what I, my husband, and the entire family are passing through over this beastly murder.

“Again, and for emphasis, the film shows everything in clear view and all the perpetrators must answer for their crimes.

“We want Justice. Those who murdered my son must face the wrath of the law.

“Heartbroken mother.’’

The parents are calling for justice and it would be a shame on the Nigerian Government and security agencies if they are denied this justice. We join them in calling on all relevant agencies. Yes, we want Justice for Aluu 4.

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Bunmi

October 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm

we want justice.

2. NNEKA

October 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

YES. WE WANT JUSTICE.

3. Traditionalbay

October 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm

let JUSTICE prevail!

4. joy

October 10, 2012 at 12:46 pm

YES. justice must be done!!!

5. timma

October 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Justice will definitely prevail In Jesus name.So sad!!!What a terrible way to die.May God Rest them in peace,Amen

6. Anonymous

October 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Justice must be done! these must not be swept under d carpet Nigerians! whatever makes pple feel lyk dey can take pple'”s lives @ will, shd be dealt with thoroughly. its got to stop. He who lives by the sword dies by the sword, all dos killers caught red-handed on camera shd be killed exactly dsame way dey dealt dos INNOCENT kids and even more if possible. RUBBISH and NONSENSE!

7. Ginika

October 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm

we want justice.

8. Faith

October 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm

We want justice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my heart bleeds for their families.

9. versence

October 10, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Justice MUST prevail!

10. sasha

October 10, 2012 at 1:15 pm

WE WANT JUSTICE.

11. Maxi woman

October 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm

We must get this justice.

12. Eunice

October 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm

pls. govt. should find out d video man/woman. that will go a long way. i need justice, let there be no chicken alive in aluu community.

13. kem

October 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm

A Strange Land Aluu.Tell me what the name aluu means? I hear the sky whisper ‘abomination’ A strange Land- ‘aluu’. A land I know not. The ground that never swallowed my placenta. A strange land I was sojourned. The same sand I walked on. In the quest for knowledge. In the pursuit for mental liberation, I met my end. The desired end I dreamt of was shattered by a people within. I prayed for a fruitful day at dawn Instead I was offered a bitter tale. I struggled to but couldn’t tell. The same people within. Oh! How my blood turns cold in my helpless watch. My blood cried for hope as each stick hits my scalp Oh! Their scream for death suppresses my heart beat. My nakedness was made public with shame as my cover. My nakedness meant nothing to me; all I cared was to be heard. All ears was deaf but the whispers of death. No hope is all I hear; helpless is all I see in the weakening lid of my friends. Our soul paths in same way Mama, I cried for the love I felt. I outgrown again Papa, I yearned for your spank than these barbarians on me. Did God watch too or was heartbroken again for his own creation? Did mama feel her heart melt as I painfully transformed into a ghost? Would my sin be matched with my own kind of death? This is my Golgotha. The machete to my head, the tyres around my neck, The scream from my soul, my joy and pain, my faith, My curse, my destiny, my forgiveness, my spit, my urine, my tears, my blood. A land I know not, ALUU took it all Mama please do something Papa! Papa!! Papa!!! A strange Land took it all.
    THIS IS DEDICATED TO ALL THE FAMILIES WHO LOST THEIR CHILDREN IN ALUU COMMUNITY IN PORT-HARCOURT. We want Justice!!!!!!

14. cathy

October 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm

we want justice

15. loi loi E

October 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm

We want Justice for Aluu 4…….,still cryingggggggggg for the life of these young students that was cut short in that manner.We need a total change all over(in our judiciary system,policing and so on) in dis country ,am definitely sure that the police in that area knew when this was happening and didn’t do anything.I’m just bringing myself to make a comment since Friday i heard dis story,it’s so heart breaking .RIP boys and my condolences to their families.

16. 'Alex'andyRaH!

October 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

WE WANT JUSTICE OOOOO

17. EMMANUEL

October 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm

JUSTICE!!JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT JUSTICE

18. onyi

October 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm

WE WANT JUSTICE!! WE NEED TO BE UNITED TO GET NATIONAL ATTENTION!

19. akhabue whitney

October 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm

i want justice dat act was just too barbaric

20. Peace

October 10, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I can’t stop crying. Any minute i think of this Aluu saga, i feel like am dreaming and its like am struggling to wake up to see that this thing didn’t happen. This boys saw hell and all hopes that someone would really come to their rescue was shattered when they took their last breath. The nigeria police keeps failing, we do not value lives in nigeria. I NEED URGENT JUSTICE.

21. nana akua

October 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm

justice must indeed prevail,am a ghanaian n have followed this story since its break-out.a very dis-heartening act n must be stopped.may their souls rest in perfect peace

22. Nayor Slimfit

October 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Let Justice just Prevail! can’t believe in a 21st century this jungle MADNESS still exist

23. purplepearl

October 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Justice for ALuu 4

24. damajor

October 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm

is bad dat dis can things hapen in aur country 9ja

25. Concerned

October 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Please Nigerians help give these families justice

26. Jordan

October 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm

It will be a very big shame to Nigerian govt. Esp the Police and other security agencies if this matter dies off like that.
    I therefore, plead for URGENT JUSTICE. JUSTICE MUST PREVAIL.

27. gideon

October 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm

fairness and justice

28. Ogechi

October 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm

It’s most heart breaking to read,imagine it’s reality and perhaps watch the video(which i came across but couldn’t bring myself to watching it). Even if the boys were guilty of any form of mis-behaviour, who made the 20century backward community members the judge! The least thing the Nigeria society can do as a means of respect to the family of the VICTIMS is to see that JUSTICE is carried out and all involved not with-standing the measure of their contribution in the IN-HUMANE treatments meted out to these youths(REST THEIR SOULS) are PROPERLY DEALT WITH.

29. valentine

October 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

justice must be done

30. oma

October 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm

we want JUSTICE

31. Shola

October 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm

My eye’s is full of tears,it’s so painful.wot a death……let justice prevail we nid justise

32. Embiemu Opuene

October 10, 2012 at 6:41 pm

no matter what they will never go free. those evil people have placed a curse upon their children infact their decendant. The law of kama must take its place. what a calamity they have caused upon that village.

33. Osaigbovo Reuben

October 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I don’t like dis Country again

34. EUNICE O

October 10, 2012 at 7:55 pm

JUSTICE MUST BE DONE

35. EUNICE O

October 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm

JUSTICE MUST BE DONE TO PUT AN END TO DIS TERRIBLE ACT.

36. maka y

October 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm

D parents of d victim,pls tk hrt.they r also our brothers nd our sons.justice must surely be prevail.we all r insuport of u.pls tk hrt.I even refuse to watch d film cos d story itself is so sad.

37. Patrick

October 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm

We, in the United States, want justice to prevail as well and the murderers who can easily be identified in the video to be punished to the fullest extent. The murder of these four boys is horrific and savage, regardless of whether they had commited and offense (which I understand they had not). Those who did this are animals.

38. Usherug

October 10, 2012 at 9:12 pm

As am writen dis am droping tears i ve nt seen d video jst only d pics,my dr if nah me omehn i wl tel govrnmnt 2 do dem wht dey do 1 balylsa vilage 2 teach odas lesson,dis is gtng out of hand nw dey r doin d rite thng wit wrng moves,beat dem(dats nt enuf 4 dem d vilagers)naked dem(stil nt enuf)drag dem around d vilage(dats stil nt enuf)burnt dem alive(sobbs),anybody dat put hand in dis act wil die d mst painful death dat past dis one dey do,as 4 d chiefs,vilage heads,youth leader,police pple dat hear nd c wht is goin on nd refusd 2 do sumthng none of dem wil escape dis punish dat is on d way cumin,nd 2 my nigerian govrmnt is ashame 2 u politicians dat dnt care abt d poor masses.No security ntng is hppning at all 4 dis naija nd u pple r hppy celebrtng 52yrs of coruptns,bribe,insecurity,darknes,bad road etc.Let me tel u senates nd co,if ntng is done abt dis particular case lets jst 4gt d northern crisis 4 now nd face dis 1 if ntng hppnd i mean ntng hppng u 2 wl nva go unpunish be u who.Thx

39. udoka

October 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Cheiii!!! Ihe nwoke mere ibe ya!!! Its nt fair oooo!wait,is it dat 4 of dem stole a phone nd laptop or each?dis is cock nd bull story.we no go gree until justice is done.heyyyyy!! ARU KWO NWA!!!

40. Ibironke

October 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm

What they did was still unjustifiable. We all experience Nigeria every day. It shouldn’t make us turn ourselves into animals. The savagery of what they did is deeply disturbing. Did they catch them killing or maiming They killed these young men without a second thought. It makes you wonder…… The worst part is many of them are probably extremely religious. Another Nigerian paradox

41. James Butler

October 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm

justice must prevail, its a do or die affair now. am putting up 5,000,000 for anyone who provides me with the people caring out the barbaric crimes on those innocent boys. i want them Dead or Alive….08033161990

42. Em

October 11, 2012 at 12:05 am

The problem is there is very little police action in these communities so when allegations are made the community tends to exact its own often brutal ‘justice’. As horrific as the deaths of these young men are there will be many more because it is a failed state. In these settlements brutality such as this is entertainment to the populace much like in ye olde England’s hangings only more…er…interactive. Interestingly no one can seem to agree on why the men were murdered. The stories range from allegations of theft to some sort of harassment of the villagers, stand over men or something like that. But I dare say none of the stories are true. It’s more likely an argument was started with some spiteful guy & mob mentality took over.

43. nwaGod PP

October 11, 2012 at 9:32 am

Government pls don’t disgrace us further, this guys were disgraced, beaten n killed 4 doing what they ( the killers ) can not explain. They need justice, their families needs justice n we nigerians need justice. At least we need be assured that it will not happen again. I don’t know why we have police n law if this kind of people should go free.

44. Jamb 2013/2014 registration form

October 11, 2012 at 9:33 am

This is barbaric!, i can’t even imagine myself watching that video in a hundred years.

45. Rose

October 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

I am a mother with just one son (a child) since monday I watched the inhuman treatment melted on these 4 boys I have not been my normal self. except those boys commited murder if not there is no any moral justification for them to be subjected to that barbaric act and eventually killed? Please let the authirty look into this case and proscute those involved. I hope this is not another APO SIX killing repeating itself. the families should reject any monetary compesation and seek for justice. The Apo six kilers are alive and rumor have it that, the work free in the city of Abuja.

• Ugo

October 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm

46. sarah ghana

October 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

may the perpetrators of this crime suffer worser fates than the ones meted out out to these innocent boys.may they eat their own feaces in prison.they should definitely be hanged.my heart bleeds for the dead boys.may they rest in perfect peace while their killers suffer in hell.

47. jacinta chukwujekwu

October 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm

justice must prevail! if only the fedral government will build more hostel and admit students that they can accommodate in their hostel probably this wouldn’t have happened, it is the student that feeds this so call villagers without them they would not have the guts to do this barbaric act.

• Ugo

October 11, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Well said my sis—– I’m still traumatized by the video of these murdered young men…South-South/East men who are such an endangered species! As a mother, sister, wife and cousin, all I could think of was “this could happen to my relatives.” The University students don’t have to rampage or rather should stop! Aluu is already cursed and the land defiled. At the mention of that name potential suitors, friends, business partners will disappear. People will refuse to say they are from Aluu and the town may gradually become desolate – that was the tradition of our forefathers before Christianity was introduced to Southern Nigeria. I strongly believe Nigeria is a failed state at all levels, the kidnappings, robberies, fraud, lack of good roads, poor medical services, police intimidations and extortions, assassinations, unemployment, lack of constant electricity supply, corruption at all levels has made Nigeria one of the worst countries to live in as of 2012. It needs a 360 degree overhaul and divine intervention to bounce right back and it may take another 100 years….so help us God!

48. stanley

October 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Am a nigeria living in SA justice must indeed prevail its unbelievable

49. Izuchukwu ambrose favour

October 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm

WE wnt justice plz my president do smtin

50. Emmanuel

October 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm

The murderers should be killed the same way the 4 boys were murdered. That’s the only way justice can be done

51. ola

October 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

We d mothers of dis country commiserate wth our fellow mothers over d loss of Ugonna, Tekena, Lloyd and Chidiaka. No doubt they were to excel, but d evil community in d name of Aluu in Portharcourt Rivers State cut dem short. Nevertheless, dey will never die cos dey will forever live in our Hearts. And in dis our Country Nigeria, never again will such happen cos whn d nemesis dat has befallen Aluu will start to boomerang, even their graves will be too hot for dem. We therefore decree and say with one voice dat d Aluu student who is d borrower, their chief and the killers be made to die d same way – naked, beaten into pulp and marched to d same execution ground where their heads and faces will be smitten with woods, planks and stones, thereafter set ablaze. This will not bring back our beloved sons,we knw, but it will serve as a deterrent to people. On dat day, our ever sleeping police will go to sleep as usual and will ignore evry call made to dis effect. As for d so called mothers of dis community who went to sleep so dat dia husbands and sons can carry out dis dastardly act, Ʊ will nvr evr know peace again. Ur sons shall before ur eyes be cut down in d same manner for no just cause. And for Aluu – Ʊ hv just danced d dance of d spirits. Not until u produce d borrower, d chief and d killers, ur community will never have any male child dat will live past d age of 24. Dos children u slaughtered were between 20 to 24. On their 24th birthday, each male child of your comminity will die a gruesome death and his carcass fed to d vultures and flies. On dat day your hearts will bleed just like the hearts of d real mothers of dis Country Nig, are bleeding now and u will find no one to console u cos ALUU is a condemned community. Ugonna, Tekena, Lloyd and Chidiaka, rest in d bossom of d Almighty. U can never ever be forgotten. Adieu beautiful Sons. For dos who are saddists and not real mothers, ignore dis. Pls pass to all mothers in d country. We have decreed.

52. ola

October 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Justice justice we need justice

53. lola

October 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Today i can say that i am not pround to be nigerian. to think i was planning to move back home. il stay here in canada and build my life. nigeria is a fucking country. the image of the killing is stuck in my head and i just regret watching it. this is so sad and i pray their souls rest in peace. i cannot imagine how their parents must feel.

54. short of words

October 11, 2012 at 9:11 pm

this is dishearting,the joy of every parents is to c dia child graduate and tke kia of dem in future.aluu community shall know no peace bcos of dz innocent boys dey killed.we d entire uniport student commiserate wif d families.rip great unique uniport,we love u all.

55. Bertha umesi

October 12, 2012 at 10:49 am

He who killed by sorwed most die by sorwed, the killing of the drem future of 200 level students of uniport is unrealistic justice must privil. The killer of these young future must BEAR the consequences . RUBISH.

56. iPHIE

October 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

ALL IM ASKING IS WHO OWNS THE LAPTOP AND CELL BB THAT WAS STOLEN.. DEM THEY USE PHONE (BB) FOR THAT MATTER FOR VILLAGE?…

57. Ogazi

October 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm

D vila desav 2 b wipd out.

58. noemail

October 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Only in Nigeria!

59. Vincent

October 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Shame unto uniport, that most of them stood to video their colleague being butchered and cooked like suya. Young innocent chaps. Even if what they were accused of was true, is this the best way to deal with them? Now lovely families have bee put to tears and pain, SHAME UNTO UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT. I never want to her anything about confraternity from u again. vikings shop ur trap, blab-axe disappear, buccaneer and all that be cos such will not happen other schools and go go unvisited.
    Let th blood of these young boys be upon not only those who gave the order for their execution but on the lookers who found pleasure viewing, snapping and videoing cos they have fones all those who published evil about them to feel good(so that the world will say they were not well groomed or brought up) and lastly to ll uniport students who have concluded by saying tank God, no be me. In ur time, no one will raise an eye brw to help u cos u didnt to help another.
    Except the u give those boys 10 heads each for this shameful death, u are a collective disgrace as an institution.

I speak as a real man.

60. davey quid

October 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm

these suspeects should be punished for their crimes

61. gloria willieharry.

October 17, 2012 at 7:46 am

I’ve been haviv nightmares eva sinc I saw dere picturez nd2 think I neva met dem nd neva will only God knwz wat dere mums,dads,sisters,girlfrendz,frendz nd relatns are goin tru.even if d entire community is wiped out it wunt heal our hearts.let God deal wit dem,nd may dere innocent,peacefull,handsome nd aching souls rest in perfect peace.

62. DoSomething

October 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

Those who watched and did nothing are as guilty as those that hit the boys and then set them ablaze…i still cannot comprehend how a human being could stand by and watch or take part in this act…Animals in human skins that’s what they are..Unfortunately in Nigeria, nothing will be done…a few comments in the papers/web/social media…. then another tragedy happens and then this is another forgotten incident…May God comfort their families…All the perpetrators must be brought to justice…young lives..gone too soon..cut at the prime of life..may their bloods cry out for justice and may God avenge them…I have no faith in the Nigerian government.

63. David Airoboyi

February 27, 2016 at 11:47 am

The blood of those innocent boys must be avenged. In pain I cry out, WE WANT JUSTICE. With this manner of wickedness aalu community is suppose to be burnt down