Music

“They were my brothers…. and yours” D’banj Releases Heartfelt Message on the Gruesome Murder of UNIPORT Students

Today, Tuesday 9th October 2012, DB/Good Music/Mercury/IDJ artiste, D’banj, who is also a United Nations Youth Ambassador for Peace, released a touching message on the gruesome murder of the four University of Port Harcourt students – 19 year old Lloyd Michael, Ugonna Ubuzor, 19 year old Tekena Elkanah and Chidiaka Biringa, whose lives were cut-short in the early hours of Friday 5th October 2012 in Aluu Community, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

In his message, 32 year old music star, sends his heart out to the family of the victims, speaks about Nigeria and the pursuit of justice.
Read it below;

October 9th 2012
ALUU Massacre: A Message from D’banj
They were my brothers…. and yours.

Five days ago, I woke up to yet another unspeakable tragedy.

Four young men, all undergraduates, brimming with great dreams, unfulfilled aspirations and a promising future were killed.

To express the depth of my pain and shock at their murder is impossible. And understanding how events could have degenerated to this level is truthfully beyond me.

Lloyd, Ugo, Tekana and Chidiaka

Four promising young men whose lives were interwoven in one way or the other with yours and mine.

I mourn deeply with the families of these young men because this OUR collective loss. They were our colleagues, our classmates, our neighbors, our brothers…our friends.

We are NOT a nation of barbarians. We CAN follow due processes and procedures. We MUST fight together as ONE NATION to ensure that Justice as whole is served, and as a PROCESS, is duly followed – ALWAYS

We can only try to make meaning of this senseless tragedy by ensuring that this WILL not happen again, by affirming that the pursuit of justice does not in any way entitle any of us to the willful elimination of other people’s lives and by ensuring that we, as youths, do not destroy the honorable mantle placed on us as the futures of our nation, by eliminating our present.

Aluu 4 and Mubi 40, Rest In Perfect Peace.

Good Bless Nigeria

Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo
D’banj
UN Youth Ambassador for Peace

According to Channels TV, the Senate today passed a resolution asking the police and security agencies to fish out the perpetrators of the crime including the spectators captured in the video making the rounds and try them for murder. Still on the senate, the Senate President, David Mark, thanked social networking sites for helping get the new across during the senate plenary session on Aluu 4, he said “With the help of social media, the faces of the killers of the boys were identified”.

1. eloise

October 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Sad news,so sad…

2. angel

October 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm

This is so touching. This is all OUR fight , we can’t just leave everything to the government to do. We NIGERIANS need to fight these demons which is stopping us from reaching our promise land. There are problems in the World and we living in the UK are even concerned about the welfare of this but wwe youth: our minds is at rest because we know justice will always be done no matter how but not in NIGERIA. we all need to reunite be one both christians and muslims if we want the country to move on. the great countries had their own demons many years ago but working together in harmony, sacrificing even their lives changed everything. as a youth i love my country to bits and even im in uk, i would do everything and anything to make sure nigeria becomes great and this is my dream but we all need to come together and not act as if its not any of our business. NIgeria is our land even if you and all your families are in overseas lets remember we can’t chage our skin colour nor our origin. ALL CELEBRITIES PLEASE CREATE AWARENESS FOR THESE THINGS GOING ON. LETS US WORK WITH THE GOVERNMENT AND CHANGE THIS BY OURSELVES. NO ONE IS GOING TO DO THIS JOB FOR US EXCEPT US. DBANJ THANK YOU FOR THIS INSPIRATIONAL MESSAGE. YO ARE WHAT WE YOUTHS ARE LOOKING UP TOO. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS CREATE AWARENESS. I HAVE GREAT OPINIONS ON WHAT TO DO FOR SOME OF THE PROBLEMS IN OUR NATION FROM MY KNOWLEDGE OF LIVING IN THE UK AND AM WILLING TO WORK FOR THE BETTERMENT OF MY COUNTRY. YOU ARE GREAT NIGERIA AND I BELIEVE IN YOU AND US. SHALLOM

3. honeycoco

October 9, 2012 at 8:01 pm

God bless dia souls. God bless D’banj

4. Itohan

October 9, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Rest in Peace all souls lost in Nigeria due to the failings of our government. For the “2 million mumus” – as Lagbaja would say – that are left behind who do not know whose turn it next, my prayer is that may God help us all. Thanks Chinua Achebe for letting us know that “Nigeria – a country that was”. I worry for my country and for the ‘mumu’ followers and leaders it produces. God help us all

5. Unizik Bash

October 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

D’bang u did so wel 4 recognising d slain guyz buh mak sure its actualy 4m ur mind n not bc of d money acrued 2 u as UN ambassador. Anyways thanx 4 ur concern.

6. habba!

October 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

yes! God bless D’banj! everyone should be arrested!! especially those that captured it on their phones and those that tweeted about it! they were accomplices to murder! i dont care if it was 50 people that were looking, they should be arrested and tried! at least get 2months in Jail for watching and tweeting! AND TO THOSE THAT KILLED THEM SHOULD GET 20 years behind bars!

7. Aunty B

October 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm

SUCH DESPICABLE ACT.

8. Rukky

October 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I love D’banj’s statement and I love that he promotes unity in it–we can only overcome our troubles if we work together. An example must be made of the perpetrators–this is highly unacceptable–can’t wait to hear the verdict of the case…abeg, this news is really upsetting me… Hasn’t anyone gotten married lately, want to marvel at wedding pix lol

9. Grace

October 10, 2012 at 1:53 am

Omotola was the first celebrity to take this on headlong and has been passionately talking about this . Peeps can check her tweets it’s amazing. Then I saw mi and now Dbanj. Welldone people , we need as many people as possible to raise their voice on this issue. #aluu4

10. NNENNE

October 10, 2012 at 1:54 am

Thank you D’banj.God bless you too!

11. YINKA

October 10, 2012 at 9:50 am

May God be with us all.. laudable initiative, D’banj! welldone

12. Be Be

October 10, 2012 at 10:34 am

May the rest in perfect peace. This is really sad. Everyone invovled must be punished for this. God bless their souls and keep them safe.

13. OLUWASEUN

October 10, 2012 at 10:39 am

Oladapo Daniel,I’m so proud of you for this.It’s well…….

14. Winifred

October 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm

The senate and states should go further and enact laws.that will be enforced.punishments for anyone caught for instigating and participating in this kind of act. Tired of seeing naked people on the Internet Abeg.let the police do their work Biko.

15. winnypool

October 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

COUPLA MONTHS AGO, David Mark was against social media – internet…now he’s giving thamks for the help of the same internet social media! double standard!

16. Eugenia

October 10, 2012 at 4:27 pm

RIP dearest.

17. Teniola

October 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm

@Unizik Bash,wot a comment????What has dis got to do with money?Smh….

18. iamfascinating

October 10, 2012 at 11:02 pm

too sad.

19. @vhandsum

October 10, 2012 at 11:22 pm

If I have my way,I will kill everybody in that aluu….those murders don’t deserve to live at all,that community should be destoryed and anybody from that place as of that black fridy till this day shld be killed #period

20. Justice For Aluu 4

October 11, 2012 at 1:59 am

I have always prayed that when the time comes to contribute to society’s growth, I would be willing and able. Now I feel compelled to stand up and condemn what is evil and make a difference. But I can not do it alone. I need your help. If you have seen the video or pictures of the murder of the four (4) UniPort students for ALLEGED stealing and you genuinely feel disgusted, please share this message.
    “I personally, as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, hold Gov. Amaechi accountable. He must ensure that every person whose face is captured in the video or pictures is arrested. Every one who participated in the beating must be tried for murder. The people who are shown encouraging them and who drew attention to the fact that one of the boys was not yet dead, are accessories to murder. The so called chief that decided their fate too should be tried for murder. If we get this one case right, people will be forced to stop and think before they participate in such acts of madness.
    I also hold the Nigeria Bar Association accountable. This people will claim that they did it because they do not believe in the judiciary. Take that as a challenge to show that you are not a toothless dog. Show us that you are an effective and capable body. I am personally insisting on justice for these boys.
    National Association of Nigerian Student, I hold you accountable, too. You claim you look out for student’s welfare. Do your job. Protect their interest by getting involved in the process to ensure that justice done.
    I also expect the Press to take the matter up and give it all the publicity it needs to cause action to be taken. The press needs to sensitize people to the fact it is murder to kill some one for alleged stealing. They must put pressure on the police to force them to protect people from this kind of jungle ‘justice’.”
    On Friday we will enter mosque to pray. On Sunday we will go to church to lift up Holy Hands. Let me assure you that our hands will be soiled if we let this go. We can make enough noise about it to get something done. That way, the chances of justice for these young men will be better. You have the power in your hand and you can decide to use it. Please share this, not only to get them justice but also to end this barbaric tradition of beating people to death and burning them. You never know whose life you may be saving.

21. yetunde

October 11, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I love it

22. Hadassah

October 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Lord help us, heal Nigeria. Nice from d’banj

23. Veronica Uwandu

October 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I sincerely wished from the deepest part of my heart, that I could give those young boys another chance to live.
    But I can’t…. May God Almighty receive their SOULS. AMEN.

24. LORD EMINENT CEE DE CEO

October 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm

thanks allot dear dbanj but i want the intervention of justice immediately because this ain’t no love what a misfortune that occur in this abomination community Aluu, i want the Government to set this community ablaze for such act due to there is no good samerithan that contact the police when this act is carry on so of which they are in party with this act, this handsome boys in main looking was accepted by your spirit to kill them painfully and set ablaze alive oh this will be a generation cause to this community, you will never see peace and God will judge you all that are party to this, why are you taking the law into your hands while you are not a law maker or arm force

25. Isaiah Mo-complete

October 14, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I give kudos to u D’banj and I pray the gentle soul of the diseased rest in perfect peace. My advice to everyone is that we unite and as well love each other bcos in unity and love we can find peace and harmony. I pray peace reign in our country bcos no place can be as ours.

26. Opemitit

November 14, 2012 at 9:49 am

It was an extremely touchy event which i think is a shame to our government.. Watching life being snuffed out of 4 young men was just simply unbelievable and to think that some mentally deranged and heartless set of humans were also there to partake, record and even watch is what i am still yet to digest.. I stand here to challenge the government to bring these criminals to book,,else they will never know peace and the blood of the innocent 4 will be avenged by God himself who will judge everyone according to their handy-work.. If this is swept under the carpet as usual,,there is a God who watches and never sleeps.. God bless Dbanj and God bless me..