News

2012 MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week: Wana Sambo Clothing presents “Naked”

The theme for Wana Sambo Clothing‘s Spring/Summer 2013 collection – Naked – for the Nigerian design label’s 2012 MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week presentation is Modern Geometry/ Exotic Africa.

According to the designer, Wana Sambo, Naked is ” a cross section between vintage work wear and modern day wear borrowing influence from the 90’s. I imagined what the love child of a Kurt Cobain and Fela Anikulapo-Kuti‘s music would be like if it were clothing. Naked is a juxtaposition based on the reality of these two men’s lives. Naturally, Fela was almost always near naked and Kurt Cobain, who most speculates died loveless, committed suicide. Looking at the depth of the reality of their lives, I came to a conclusion that they both were naked.”

Check it Out!

2012 MTN Lagos Fashion & Design Week: Wana Sambo Clothing

Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

1. goldfinch

November 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

please what is naked about the collection????

2. nems

November 3, 2012 at 11:03 am

I don’t get it, something about this collection screams trying too hard.

3. Bynum

November 3, 2012 at 11:21 am

NAwa I must be a designer some day too… Ahn Ahn. Her look books are rubbish, runway even worse. How did she get on lagos fashion week though

4. segzy

November 3, 2012 at 12:01 pm

TEAM WANA SAMBO!! All day, every day!!
    She keeps re-inventing herself. its AMAZING!!
    These pieces and the ones on the mannequins were so different and CHIC!! i love how she dares to do anything!! For a self-taught no-experience fashion designer, I LOVE WANA SAMBO!.

5. Missasokoro

November 3, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Awful, mismatch, really terrible!! Also the dress d ‘designer’ had on in the last image is an exact replica of Victoria beckham design, hiss

6. bola

November 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

no thanks

7. Kemi

November 3, 2012 at 3:54 pm

It’s the sticks I can’t get over

8. Berry Choco-Latte

November 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Not my style, but I kinda like it.

9. lori

November 3, 2012 at 7:35 pm

O TRY JARE,,,,NOT LIKE SOME SOMOLU TAILOR promising to tour africa when dey neva tour Yaba finish

10. trudiestyles

November 3, 2012 at 7:41 pm

sweetie…am getting a vibe from Alex DeLarge clock work orange not fela and kurt cobain…sweetie Cobain’s style was grunge and that my friend is a well known fact. smh seriously trying to hard indeed

11. kinky

November 3, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I don’t get, what’s d staff for? I’m not digging this at all

12. Mana

November 4, 2012 at 12:00 am

The explanation for her collection is kinder strange for me! Kurt Cobain and Fela Anikulapo-Kuti? I don’t get it! But I think she got some good skills.

13. Rosellar

November 4, 2012 at 4:40 am

Lovely fabrics with uncreative designs…….Designs don’t match the theme: naked. However, if you look closely at a few of the designs, there’s some detailing

14. Cham

November 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Very poor

15. zaid

November 5, 2012 at 8:27 am

Wana Sambo. You have insulted the ghost of Kurt Cobain! There is nothing in your collection that reflects Kurt! Pls pls pls…if you want to sound cool thats ur business but leave out what you have no idea about…you should have done your research!

16. Layo

November 5, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I trust the bad belle people to come out in full force for this babe and her collection.

We all know who y’all are anyway…so sad and pathetic. Instead of you to just face whatever you are doing you must bad mouth another person’s hardwork and get your minions to also write hater comments as well……so lame….

Wana, I liked that you let your imagination run free when you were designing this collection. It is very avant garde. The average nigerian will not appreciate this but I still applaud you for your creativity. At least she is better than those so-called designers who just copy Karen Millen dresses and use loud material to cover up their lack of imaginatism.

• buchi

November 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm

“lack of imaginatism”??? LOL. Too funny

17. tybay

November 8, 2012 at 11:15 am

Wana did well jor… U pple should leave her. She’s hardworking and seems very determined to go far and i know she will…

18. didi

November 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Edgy….i luv it…. go wana, so proud of ya!