News

Patience & Persistence! Moyo Mamora Shares 4 Tips to Finding & Unlocking Your Purpose

Whenever the topic of success comes up, it raises various ideas in the minds of people. People consider various things in their lives to be the measure of success. However I think deep within us, we will all agree that success involves some amount of material reward, honor, prestige, and fame. To what degree we associate these with success then becomes where the differences in the various definition of personal or corporate success come in. In my study and quest for success, I have found that successful people are those who have been able to find the alignment between their passion and their abilities in order to fulfill a vision. They have found their purpose, they have a clear vision for their life, and have leveraged on their abilities. In this, I have come up with a definition of success that I believe will unify us all: success is the degree to which a person fulfill’s purpose on earth.

Your greatness, relevance and prominence in life is locked up in the seed of purpose within you. Success comes not from your career occupation, but from your preoccupation with your purpose. The next question then is, “how do I know my purpose?”

Purpose is discovered when your passion finds direction from God. Until you have a clear sense of direction concerning what you’re most passionate about, you will not have the conviction to follow through to the point where you succeed. I say this because I know for each of us, that at various times we are passionate about different things, but like everything else we face obstacles. The difference between those who succeed and those who fall by the wayside is their tenacity of purpose. Purpose like success, requires focused and consistent efforts. A life of purpose is the most rewarding and fulfilling way to live, and it is the best use of your life.

Every single person on earth has a purpose, and if you really want to succeed in life, your time and effort should be spent in discovering your purpose and cultivating it. I call it “the seed of purpose” because your purpose is never revealed to you all at once. Just like you know an acorn planted and cultivated will grow to be an oak tree, one may have an inkling but never the full picture of purpose. As you remain faithful and diligent in growing in your abilities, the picture becomes clearer. It is at this point a vision for your purpose is born. A vision is a mental picture that projects into the future possibilities in the area of your purpose. Your vision is like a life goal, and it is from this vision in your heart that you begin to set sub-goals that take you step by step closer to your overarching life goal.

Here are a few pointers to discovering and fulfilling purpose in life:

1. Develop a consciousness of your passion. As I said, your purpose is discovered when your passion finds direction from God, but first you must find out what things you are passionate about. Each one of us has something that catches our attention with a burning desire to do something about it. It is what makes you light up—the things you love to do more than anything else. You have to make a decision to follow through with that which you’re most passionate about. It is in doing this you can have maximum achievement in life.

2. Find the alignment with your passion talents and abilities. The honest truth is that it’s not everything we are passionate about that we have the specific skill-set to tackle. However there are some things that you are naturally good at and come easy to you. You must leverage on these skills and begin to take proactive measures to address the areas in which you’re passionate about. For me, I am passionate about helping people and lifting them up from lowly states to a place where they can stand on their feet and take on life. I also realized that I was pretty good at encouraging people, writing and speaking. So I began early in life to use my words (spoken and written) to encourage people and challenge them to succeed in their dark moments. Once you find where your skills and passion align, set a plan in motion to progressively develop yourself, as you do so you will be closer to success.

3. Get direction to your passion. The direction for what you’re passionate comes as a sense of calling. Don’t look for a voice, but pay attention to your inward inkling. It’s hard to explain with words, but think of it as a tugging of the spirit, or a signal deep within that points you in a certain direction. To help your understanding, think of this sense of direction as what you feel like doing per time with a sense of conviction that is beyond what’s ordinary. I believe the desires we have in our act as an inner compass from God, giving us direction on what we need to be focusing on. In a moment of quietness and stillness, when you’re not caught up in so much of the day’s activities, have you ever sensed deep within you—a call to greatness? It’s like a bell that rings on the inside of you, calling you to something that is beyond you. This sense of calling is a pointer to your purpose.

4. Be patiently persistent. Be persistent in your efforts and consistent in your plan and action. When I was much younger, in my biology class, we were asked to plant beans. The first day after planting, it looked like nothing happened. Up to the the fourth day, nothing seemed to happen. By the end of the week, there was something springing up from the soil. Thought it was exciting to see some results, I couldn’t imagine how this would ever produce beans. But what I lacked was patience. The principle is an unfailing one, if I had waited long enough and consistently nurtured the seedling, it will eventually produce the bean seeds. The success journey is a marathon and not a sprint. Likewise the unfolding of purpose is like growing a seed. It must be nurtured, and cared for consistently. When it looks like nothing is happening, for as long as you stick to your developmental plan, you are sure to see results.

As always, I’ll love to hear from you, so drop a comment. Also send me a note on your success journey and fulfillment of purpose here http://moyomamora.com/contact/

Be Inspired!

PS: I’ll like to share more with you on discovering purpose, and at the same time, give you an opportunity to win a Kindle Fire. Here’s my New Year’s offer: Young and Purposeful Promo (click here)

Photo creditleadership.ng

Moyo Mamora Picture

Moyo Mamora is a visionary leader and an insightful teacher of Biblical life principles. He is the author of Young & Purposeful: Discovering and fulfilling purpose early in life, and Power Points for Success. He has a personal goal to empower people to live a victorious life! He runs a personal blog at www.moyomamora.com and you can connect on twitter @MoyoMamora, and facebook: moyomamoralive

Moyo Mamora has a personal goal to empower people to lead victorious lives! He is the author of Young & Purposeful: Discovering and fulfilling purpose early in life, and Power Points for Success. He runs a personal blog at moyomamora.com. You can connect on instagram @MoyoMamora, and facebook: @MoyoMamoraLive

1. Ade

January 11, 2013 at 2:17 pm

God bless you Moyo in Jesus Name-Amen.

2. Kemmy

January 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Very Inspiring, thank you!

3. nich

January 11, 2013 at 3:04 pm

people may discover their purpose and still not get there………..

people also need to appreciate those who have gotten there already and stop making it look like success is common……….

most nigerians and africans do not appreciate the successful and the rich…………….they want to remain critics rather than inspired………………

this is why in nigeria many rich and successful people do not want to pass down there road map to success to the poor and average because they do not deserve it……………………

it is good to discover your purpose if u can……………but those who are already successful carry a special honor and grace….

the bible says let there be no contradiction …”the less shall be blessed of the better”’…………….

• John

January 11, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Nich,
      I couldn’t disagree with you more. I think Nigerians generally celebrate success, if it was acquired honestly through hardwork. For example, I think most Nigerians look more favorably on the likes of Dangote and want to be like him.

• Moyo Mamora

January 12, 2013 at 12:56 am

Hey nich, there are a few things you mentioned which I don’t agree with.

Many people may not attain to their purpose, but that does not mean they are not capable of doing so.

I define success as the degree to which you fulfill purpose. While success may not be common place, it doesn’t mean it should be uncommon. It takes little steps to achieve big results. Think about compound interest, little sums of money compounded over a long period of time can be worth a lot. That’s the same power in progressively making steps towards fulfilling your purpose. (I share more here Turn Your Passion Into A Discipline )

All men have been graced by God in the area of their calling, and this means all men can succeed (2 Tim.1:9, 1 Cor.15:10). But do all men draw on this grace?

If you need to discuss more, contact me through the link above.

Remain blessed!

4. Ginika

January 11, 2013 at 3:14 pm

These two areas, changing the mindset of Africans and teaching people to live a Victorious life through Christ, are areas I’m passionate about. So it is very encouraging to see someone doing things like theses, I’m learning

• Moyo Mamora

January 12, 2013 at 12:44 am

Ginika, i’m glad we’re thinking on the same level. Keep learning, and keep sharing what you learn, it will benefit us all. Be blessed!

5. John

January 11, 2013 at 6:22 pm

This is a very insightful and encouraging article, especially in Nigeria, where everyone wants to get rich overnight with little thought about their innermost passion.

• Moyo Mamora

January 12, 2013 at 12:40 am

Thanks John…it’s a really important message for people to understand that success is a progressive journey.

6. Wealthy one

January 11, 2013 at 7:36 pm

God bless you for writing this. It’s a blessing. Thanks a lot. Everyone has a purpose and potential but some people are living in fear, instead of stepping out to start their God given dream. I will arise and fulfill purpose in every area of my life in Jesus mighty name. Amen. I wish us all a fulfilled life. Amen.

• Moyo Mamora

January 12, 2013 at 12:46 am

Yes welathy one…know that i’m cheering you on! Be all god created you to be…

7. Mana

January 11, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I love your article. I also think that you need someone whose personality inspires you. It can be a family member, your partner or even someone who has already achieved what you want to achieve. You have to surround yourself with hard working and focussed people.

finest-in-internet.com/

• Moyo Mamora

January 12, 2013 at 12:41 am

Mana, I absolutely agree with you! The fulfillment of purpose needs a mentor, I talk about that in my book Young and Purposeful (available on Amazon). Thanks for your contribution!

8. ola

January 11, 2013 at 7:49 pm

what a great inspiring information…

gistyinka.com

9. cathy

January 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Beautiful write up. Bless

10. Deluxe

January 12, 2013 at 12:40 am

This is inspiring.I am glad this came and many definitely read it. Thanks so much.

11. Purpleicious Babe

January 12, 2013 at 3:06 am

yup…. i agree.. u always churn great articles..

lifeinstagesdoz.blogspot.co.uk/

12. Adetokunbo

January 12, 2013 at 9:31 am

I so much believe that there is a bit of the creator in every man, irrespective of your religion or relationship with man. However, for one to totally harness this, we need to truly commit our ways to God, then and only then, will our true purpose be revealed to us.

13. oritsemone toju

January 12, 2013 at 9:34 am

beautiful article ….just what need right now

14. Omi

January 12, 2013 at 10:10 am

Hi Moyo, I sent you an message on your blog. Would love it if you replied me. Thank you for this article. Exactly where I am at in my journey with God. Anyway when you read my message you’d understand better

15. Felicitibelle

January 12, 2013 at 11:49 am

I’m inspired, the biology beans project illustration truly touched me. Very insightful article, thanks for sharing. GBU

16. Emele infynyt

January 12, 2013 at 2:27 pm

A wow write-up,may u continue 2 b blessed 4 touchn pple soulz…#kudos#

17. Moyo Mamora

January 13, 2013 at 5:53 am

Thanks everyone for your comments and blessings!

18. dazzle

January 13, 2013 at 10:51 pm

uplifting and encouraging. just made me feel free wit my feelings. Thxx Moyo!

19. passing by....

January 15, 2013 at 5:10 am

Moyo, good inspiration. First, i don’t think the picture you have really goes along with what you are talking about. seeing the picture one would think you were going to speak on relationships.
    There is much sense in what you are saying but then one MUST find his/her calling first; and that isn’t so easy.
    Personally, i had a lot of dreams, achieved some then got married and started a family. Right now my kids are all am passionate about and every investment i must make is for them. So am i fullfilling purpose?

• Moyo Mamora

January 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for your input. I agree with you on the picture, but I didn’t pick the picture out myself.

You are absolutely right about the fact that one must find his or her calling. That’s why I state that purpose is when passion finds direction from God. There are many things we can be passionate about, but not everything we are equipped to tackle. Also there are many things we can be passionate about but not necessarily what we’re called to do.

So the key is to find out if you are doing what you feel God has called you to do, and I don’t think it’s difficult. I think it’s the easiest thing in the world if we pay attention to what goes on in our heart.