News

Inspired by a Nigerian Fashion Legend! View “Komole” – the New Collection Lookbook by Deola Sagoe

BellaNaija.com

Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija002
L-O-V-E!
Deola Sagoe outdoes herself with her new collection “Komole“.
The collection was originally presented at the inaugural Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Africa which took place last year in Johannesburg.

If you know your Nigerian fashion, you should know legendary designer Shade Thomas Fahm. She set the pace for the Nigerian fashion industry in the 60s and 70s and is also recognized as a women’s rights activist. Her son Fauzi Fahm is also one of the leading creative directors in the African fashion space.

The fabric used to create this collection is totally innovative while the styling of the lookbook captures the vintage quality while retaining it’s freshness!

Best collection we have seen this year.

Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija001Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija003Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija007Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija004Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija005Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija006Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija008Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija011Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija013Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija009Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija010Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija012Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija015Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija016Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija014Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija017Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija018Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija019Deola Sagoe Komole Collection - March 2013 - BellaNaija020

1. anonymous

March 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm

bland..

2. Wale

March 14, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Beautiful!!! Does she have an outlet here in the US?

3. anthonia Oguah

March 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Deola is indeed a legend, waooooo i love the komole concept, though away from her usual bold girly designs, i applaud this concept. Love it

4. Loversonly

March 14, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Pretty impressive am completely blown away

5. Jfk

March 14, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Classic!

6. ASK9

March 14, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Olekuish, old school tinz……luv, luv, luv…..hair, makeup and all.

7. Say What?

March 14, 2013 at 2:31 pm

So what? Who does she dress? She was totally missing at the AMVCA awards and I noticed. She is irrelevant in Nigeria so stop showing us her stuff. Let her go to US. She clamors for them

• z.z

March 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm

A little stressed out, aren’t we?

• Let's read

March 14, 2013 at 5:44 pm

hehehe

• mee

March 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Haba free Aunty Deola jor, she is one of the best designers in naija and well exposed not some somolu peeps I know clamouring for relevance and never stepped out of africa at this jet age. Go Deola, go deola you’re the best ojare.

8. adetayo

March 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Grandmas will not be impressed.

9. Gorgeous

March 14, 2013 at 2:43 pm

beautiful taqke on Yoruba traditional dresses. Love the material and the buba sleeves on the gowns with the whole oleku theme. Genius and stunning. The models are beautiful. My goodness. Am wowed

10. Senior Ozoduwa

March 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm

BellaNaija, you people can wash o. How can you call this the best collection you’ve seen this year? Abeg abeg.

• Ready

March 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm

*humming Eldee’s Wash Wash* BN can wash for sub-Saharan Africa, that’s old news. All the Lynxx hype and the “After conquering the world of music, Dr Sid is ready to conquer the world of cookies” or something to that effect. Shioo.

• Let's read

March 14, 2013 at 5:50 pm

LOOOOOOLLLL!!!

11. ermmm

March 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Lovely collection….but the best?…hmm…..dont think so..my opinion

12. dontmention

March 14, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Wow BN I supposed even you haven’t been paying attention to de collections u hav been uploading on ur site since de yr started abi? To think u actually typed dat dis is de best collection u hv seen dis yr, u must b joking…….these are beautiful pieces no doubt n its good she got her inspiration from a Nigerian legend but that’s all it is….beautiful…..nothing breathtaking abt them or screaming out at u…..if anything is screaming at all, it is de stiffness of the designs….they r beautiful but they look stiff or is it de model who made dem so? N people just throw words ard these days @ anthonia ouguah…..did u just call dis lady a legend? I will really like to know what qualifies someone as a legend …..if u said legend in de making sef…..maybe I for tree….Nways sha…..am not hating here, just stating my view as I see it
    Vikkyscreed.blogspot.com

13. Ada

March 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Is this a Joke?

14. new bride

March 14, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I’m still trying to understand the connection between Shade Thomas Fahm, her son Fauzi and Deola Sagoe’s Komole collection.

Not a fan of this collection by the way. Not my type of style.

• Ready

March 14, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Agreed. I re-read severally trying to get the connection. I eventually inferred, but it def isn’t there.
      The thing about BN hyped designers and their work is, someone is gonna come along and call us haters and say we don’t know style and we’re not avant garde, but to each his own. I know it’s only March, but it’s def not in the top 3 best collections so far this year.

15. Cheks

March 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm

she needed a better steamer to iron that satin/silk but beautiful colors

• ebrufles

March 14, 2013 at 9:39 pm

lol but its true

16. Yemy

March 14, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Lovin d fabric , exquisite

17. Ms lala

March 14, 2013 at 3:38 pm

smh…mehn Deola fall my hand..am not feeling the collection at all. maybe she’s trying to bring back the retro way of wearing buba but it aint working..and the colors are soooooo dull and they made a chocolate skin tone model to wear the bland boring colors…which even made it more dull.

18. Stella Kashmoney

March 14, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Beautiful collection. I am so impressed.

19. Chikaka

March 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Laser cut fabrics. Not bad. Best collection? No way.

20. Abiola

March 14, 2013 at 3:55 pm

the Model tho…..Model of Life * laughing in chinese*

21. Nice Anon

March 14, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Nice

22. @ajiriavae

March 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Most designers in Nigeria will tell you that they look up to Deola. I love her work and I’m always blown away every time I go into her shop. But this particular collection? No. I don’t understand why the fabric is so stiff that it stands away from the body in such an unflattering way and why the clothes are so ill fitting on the models. I want to believe that it is the stylist’s fault and that the clothes would have looked better on curvier models. But apart from that you can tell that the fabric is luxurious and the finishing is superb, as always.
    ajiristyle.blogspot.com/

23. ZM

March 14, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Love! Love! Love!
    uberchicmichi.com

24. BiKé

March 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I love the fabric, they have gorgeous colors, I like the inspiration but didn’t really give me the WOW factor . Though the outfits all look cool but at the same time kinda dull. Hmm or maybe the models. I just didn’t really feel it. But those fabric are awesome.

mixcloset.com/

• kilipot

March 15, 2013 at 11:36 am

I think the idea is not to have a wow factor.. Muted elegance

25. mlg

March 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Please will you be at Wed Expo? Because those white dresses and tops are giving me some kind of avant garde wedding vibe. The silhouette of the last dress (with the exaggerated sleeves) gives me a lot to hope for 🙂

26. Cee's

March 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Ewww. model and styling all wrong. Which kain wig? Abeg! While the dresses have ‘something’. The presentation is….

27. Atinuke

March 14, 2013 at 6:20 pm

This has got to be the best collection I have seen in the last 2 years out of Nigeria. The re definng of the Yoruba trad wear is genius!!!!! What’s not to love about it!!!!! Deola Sagoe totally rocks!!!

28. douby

March 14, 2013 at 6:30 pm

BN you didn’t relate The Fahms to d collection, did Mr Fahm style the shoot, did Shade Fahms inspire the collection? I don’t get it.
    And as per the collection, its not the best of deola sagoe to me, but I like the fabric.

29. prefer fashion to xes!

March 14, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Lol…BN can hype sha,or did they give you one of the collection?

30. Iris

March 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm

So is this an ode to the 60s and 70s era of Shade Thomas Fahm? Because if this was not deliberately designed with ‘retro’ in mind, then I’m confused.

31. Kaye

March 14, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Please, what is the connection between Deola Sagoe and the Fahms? A copy-and-paste job gone wrong or what?
    Plus I think it’s high time Bella Naija hired a proper fashion journalist. How exactly does Ms. Sagoe ‘outdo’ herself with this collection? A lot of talk about how innovative the fabric is yet no mention of what kind of fabric is used. In plain words, All the unnecessary oohing and aahing has got to stop.

• Gigi

March 15, 2013 at 3:50 am

Ur comment is so perfect, i wanna cry

32. oma

March 14, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Honestly I don’t see any thing unique about these designs. There is no ‘wow’ factor. Like someone said, bland!

33. H

March 14, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Creative concept. Always leading the pack.

34. fashionLagos

March 14, 2013 at 8:23 pm

No thank you. I do not like the pieces or the color palette.

35. Ashani

March 14, 2013 at 8:52 pm

hmnn…
    models..have a sandwich..no, have two..with your salad!
    designs…after the models eat the sandwich..i’ll have a second look..

• Shio

March 14, 2013 at 9:34 pm

As long as you understand that you’re criticizing her weight. God forgive you

• Ashani

March 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm

As long as you understand you’re in denial. God forgive you..and p.s..you forgot to add AMEN!

36. Angel Deco

March 14, 2013 at 10:45 pm

#ROTFL# Nigerians r d best judges dere eva is! If dem critize ur work ehn, mehn….. Liked some piece wen I first saw ’em, bt afta d comments…..dey dissappeared!!! D models were too thin 2start wit, d rebirth of yoruba trad wears…cool, colour palette….okay…sha, design? Nt dat cool. Shade n son 4dis mata….zero! BN hype??? *lips sealed*

37. Simya

March 14, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Not a fan of the collection, the colours are dull and the model and material just looks stiff!!

38. Ema

March 14, 2013 at 10:59 pm

like luv love!!!

39. prim

March 14, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Now this what I call art work. Bellisimo!

40. mexo

March 15, 2013 at 12:24 am

Very impressive. The product of a true designer! Go on Deola!

41. Babydoc

March 15, 2013 at 12:26 am

Beautiful clothes but can they’ve worn by the average nigerian body?

42. Deedee

March 15, 2013 at 12:44 am

The designs are just dere, the model looks stiff and bonga fish-like, she’s too skinny, i love Deola’s designs but these ones just no try.

43. R

March 15, 2013 at 2:43 am

Beautiful! Very creative designer!! The pieces at her flagship store in VI are …. Magical!

44. tolulope

March 15, 2013 at 3:13 am

these styles r a zero coming from sum1 who ‘people’ refer to as a ‘fashion designer’. shes just a tailor cos these ‘new’ styles arn’t unique truth be told.

45. HRS

March 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

They’ll look better on size 8 and 10 models……

46. Angie

March 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Abeg I did not see the clothes because I was too upset with the models used for this shoot!!! Haba, are we now promoting anorexia and bulimia in Nigeria too? These girls look like wooden hangers and make the clothes look so unattractive. As someone said above, maybe Deola is not designing for the Nigerian market (woman) anymore.

47. ONAKACHI

March 15, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Very nice.

48. Zinni

March 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm

BN una no try. Best collection this year, really? You guys are full of it…mscheeeewwww

49. Bad gal

March 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I see Elite model look Nnigeria new faces..Lovely

50. Jumie

March 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Fresh!

51. iamfascinating

March 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm

hmmn. nice.
    thestunninglady.blogspot.com

52. Blossom

March 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I think most commenters here are not the target audience for this type of work and I’m not surprised. These outfits are the Prada-level designs of Nigeria.

I think the collection is absolutely exquisite. Luxury design at its finest.

Oh and by the way, for those wondering why Fahms had to be mentioned, my guess is that he’s the one who wrote the narrative. I know he does a lot of PR work for the Deola Sagoe brand.

53. Tosin

March 15, 2013 at 5:03 pm

oh yes.

54. Concerned

March 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Please why has more been said about Fauzi Fahm and his mother than the designer and her work?

55. Babious

March 15, 2013 at 5:35 pm

is it d model? or r these clothes hideous?

56. Lola

March 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Harsh and unnecessarily mean. D.S., whatever you say, IS the standard for fashion design in Nigeria, and that is indisputable. Yes she’s may have set her sights on the U.S.A, so what? She’s only using a yardstick that the rest of the world employs. Don’t be mad at her for setting her sights beyond Ikorodu rd. Sheesh! And oh, while she may not accept every invitation to show (my! what was she thinking passing up Yaba International Fashion Show?!), you’ll find that her designs, her ideas, her visions are daily represented at those events – that’s how pervasive her work is in the Nigerian Fashion Design Industry. And to answer your question about whom she dresses – they ain’t in your league, baybay, that’s why you never hear about them ;-). Cheers!

57. Thebluebloodedfashionfairy

March 15, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I actually like the look of the collection. I do however have an issue with the narrative that accompanied the post. It seems like the focus was taken away from Deola Sagoe and placed on the Fahms. It may have been written selfishly by Fauzi to highlight himself and his mother more than Deola Sagoe. Just saying

58. bey

March 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

Those commenting here,are regular 9ja people. Deola sagoe isnt in ur league!!! Why would she dress any1 for amvca? You think in two years to come, with the pace iconic Invanity is growing,she wld be wasting her time in lagos red carpet?? Deola sagoe has gone,far….yall shld knw dat! Her designs her artistic! Deal! Those laser cut laces were made by her! Deal!

59. whocares

March 16, 2013 at 9:02 pm

ahh the models are reallllly off-putting… if they were trying to look fierce then they certainly achieved their goal cos they scared me out of liking the clothes.. except for the pictures where they smiled.. *sigh* no. i do not like this line.. really must we all be “designers”? provision selling is a nice avenue to divert money into, and its lucrative!

60. alzee

March 18, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Whats Ds????

61. Temitope Oluleye

March 22, 2013 at 9:09 am

Exquisite!

62. Slinky

March 22, 2013 at 11:50 am

I only see yoruba fabrics(d lace n aso oke) buh def not Nigerian outdoor styling. Just sayin!!!!!!!!!!!

63. Toyin

March 25, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Where can I buy? Lovely!

64. Amin

March 27, 2013 at 5:19 pm

stunning! the fun and freedom of the 60s and yet being true to its african roots. marvelous collection. Deola you are an inspiration

65. Tobi

April 26, 2013 at 11:21 pm

OMGGGG I love these! So lovely. I’m in love.

66. Omolade

April 30, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Nice concept but the models are not representing. Totally off point. Nigerian women are beautifully full figured not underweight or anorexic. This kind of modelling should be discouraged,the world is yet to recover from the havoc this type of image caused.