News

What Are Your Thoughts on the Distribution of Free Computer Tablets to Secondary School Students in Osun State?

In this generation where knowledge of the use of computers is very vital to a child’s education, the government of Osun state has distributed free computer tablets otherwise known as ‘Opon Imo’ (Tablet of Knowledge) to students in the state’s Senior Secondary Schools. The distribution commenced in the state earlier today.

Channels TV reports that at the first school where the distribution kicked off, Ataoja School of Science in Osogbo, about 387 students in Senior Secondary 2 were given the mobile device.

Installed in each of the computer tablets are the soft copies of all the subjects being offered in secondary schools with different text books and lesson notes, as well as past questions of West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), National Examination Council Examination (NECO), and Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). It also contains apps such as e-book library, integrated test zone and 17 virtual classroom subjects to enhance e-learning for the students. {Click here to visit the Opon-Imo website for more information}.

The government of Osun state promised that the tablet would be given to all Senior Secondary school students in the state and it is expected to complement efforts of the teachers and students for better performance in learning and teaching.

***

This sounds like a good investment in the education and future of these students. However, there are some arguments that the tablet does not necessarily improve standards of education and would not help the educational system.  Also, there are fears that the initiative would not be sustainable and is prone to corruption.

On the other hand, if properly utilized, the learning features on the tablet would help the students understand what they are being taught in their classrooms better as they prepare for some major examinations.

There are several arguments to this. What is your take? Do you think the donation of free tablet computers to the secondary school students is a good move by the Osun State Government? Please give reasons for your opinion.

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. tee

March 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I think it should be commended that is if it is used properly. still an effort in the right direction, but let us wait and see.

• All about Nigeria

March 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I agree with you. it really should be commended! But waiting and seeing is what determines if it was a wasted effort or not

• Whales

June 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I totally agree…best to be positive about this. cos if it works, its for the good of a lot more

2. cledges

March 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

While I would like to applaud the effort and also commend the initiative, I cant help but raise some questions on the aforementioned issue.
    How sustainable is this effort/project? the problem with political office holders is that they like to involve themselves in elephant projects that wont stand the test of time. I cant help but imagine the level of corruption that would have gone into this project. How many state owned public schools do we have in Osun State and how many students (SSS) do we have in all schools. I guess over (7,000 to 15,000) on the average, will the State be ready to provide these students with tablets, have we considered the cost of procuring these tablets (for all SSS students) will not only furnish each State school with e-libraries, but will also provide good books for their consumption.
    Most of these students cannot handle a computer talkless of the ability to handle and maintain tablets. I think it would have made better sense if all schools have very good e-learning libraries, tastefully furnished with computers (desk tops). This will ensure a win-win situation for all students and not a select few.

2. will the State be ready to continually provide tablets for subsequent students who move from the JSS arm to the SSS arm, and if so at whose expense.
    so if a unit of tablet cost 50,000, assuming it was subsidized, cos i got my Samsung tab for 80,000, we are probably looking at over 19,000,000 spent on 387 students. Now add up the next set of 7,000 SSS students having their personal tabs (7,000*50,000+= 350,000,000). Who are we deceiving here.

I and my Team set up libraries in 3 schools in Lagos State with the sum of 15,000,000 and we hope to continually update this library, spending 19,000,000 naira to empower a few students makes no sense.

• Mama

March 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Why can’t you just be happy for a good cause??? Stop looking for faults where there is none, it makes you sound BITTER and jealous!! The Government has done what no other one has, sustainable or not, those children’s lives will be transformed for good!!!

• Okechukwu Ofili

March 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I think it is a commendable effort. On the point that they will not be able to use it…check out this video ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_shows_how_kids_teach_themselves.html it is about a man who left a computer in a village in India and soon the kids were all teaching themselves computer and more…

• Niyi

March 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Yes boss. There’s a Chinese firm coming down to Osun state to set up a factory for the continual production and maintenance of the tabs. And trust me it’s a really laudable project. Lets just wait and see its outcome, cheers.

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 12:46 am

Im sorry you are seriously misinformed and your comments are based on thoughts not fact ..once again you im sorry

3. Sanusi Olatunbosun Sijuade

March 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm

All fingers crossed! My prayer is that this should not create an avenue for negativities. Students of nowadays have “grown beyond normal expectation” lets just wait and see. ..

• Niyi

March 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm

The Internet and wifi features have been disabled. It’s strictly academic. Cheers

• Okechukwu Ofili

June 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Internet and Wifi should not be looked at as anti-educational. The future of research is Internet and Wifi and our children best be prepared for that.

4. cledges

March 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

How sustainable is this effort/project? the problem with political office holders is that they like to involve themselves in elephant projects that wont stand the test of time. I cant help but imagine the level of corruption that would have gone into this project. How many state owned public schools do we have in Osun State and how many students (SSS) do we have in all schools. I guess over (7,000 to 15,000) on the average, will the State be ready to provide these students with tablets, have we considered the cost of procuring these tablets (for all SSS students).

so if a unit of tablet cost 50,000, assuming it was subsidized, cos i got my Samsung tab for 80,000, we are probably looking at over 19,000,000 spent on 387 students. Now add up the next set of 7,000 SSS students having their personal tabs (7,000*50,000= 350,000,000). Who are we deceiving here.

• reallyyyyyy!!!

March 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm

hmmnn!!! You have raised a good point and I totally agree with you. I hope someone in the governor’s office or cabinet or whatsoever gets to read this, I also hope Akpabio will learn from this instead of donating prado jeep to a randy musicians wife which is none of naijas biz and giving out millions for Mr Biggs while ur mates are giving out to people who really need help. God will udge you political office holders sooner than you expect.

• morenike

March 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Exactly! I see where they are going with this, it is a good thought, but it seems they are trying to slap a small bandage on a massive gaping wound. The Nigerian education system needs an overhaul from the ground up, not a superficial remedy. arewa.ca/blog

• Rmd

March 22, 2013 at 12:19 am

How many kids actually go to the library? With a handy tablet they have no choice than to learn how to use it. I had all my education in Nigeria where we do exams writing on paper, now I’m doing my post graduate exam in the use and guess what I have to type! I’m not an illiterate and can use a computer but being giving the same amount of hour with people who are used to it since they were in high school and looking at them typin 65-70/wpm and I 35/wpm (words per min) feel its unfair but who do I blame, that’s how I was brought up… This is a very good step.

5. Marcella

March 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

This doesn’t make an iota of sense to me, money that could be used to better d classroom condition and employ better teachers iss being used to buy votes for 2015. Most of these schools do not have tables, boards, chairs and have leaking roofs. Let’s see how it helps the students, that is if they don’t get carried away playing games and doing other things while being taught in class.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 19, 2013 at 5:22 pm

And how the heck are they going to charge those tablets without reliable electricity? I see good reasons to do this where all the fundamental building blocks are already in place but not when some of those students are probably going to get robbed by area boys who hear about this initiative. Just sounds a bit ass-backwards.

• Niyi

March 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Solar systems are being installed in all schools. Located in the principals office where the students will goan charge. The socket for now charges 60 tablets per hour. Cheers

6. oluchy

March 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Misplaced priority.

• Tolani

March 20, 2013 at 6:49 am

I beg to differ. Having the tablet will encourage the students to read at all times and in almost every environment as so long as they have battery power they can study, regardless of whether or not there is electricity. It encourages them to study and of course puts them at par with their colleagues the world over. Many developed and developing countries are leaving pen and paper study behind.

I sincerely hope the tablets will not tomorrow be withdrawn from these children. I also hope that all their coursework is indeed already on the system and it is not a promise to be fulfilled in the future.

Seeing as electricity is a major problem in Nigeria and most of these children are indigent there should be places where they may all constantly charge their tablets so they have battery power for use once they leave the premises.

7. GreenDiamond

March 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm

YAYYY!! dats my state hehe..OK! OK!! NOW..i think it a great idea but how well can this really work, it could be stolen and all sort this can really turn out to be another way empowering this kids to steal but on the bright side dis could really be a good thing bcuz it will help them learn and all but those this mean it will improving their grades i highly doubt this. who every adviced this must have taught wrong. Basic amenities such as good text books, uniform, availability of ICTin schools should be the priority. i can bet not all this kids can afford to pay school fees or buy d right textbooks and eqipment they need for school. the gov needs to invest in all this first of all. The need to make sure every child is in school. Although i commend their effort but i sincerely believe this is not a very good idea. PLZ PPL PRAY FOR NIGERIAN LEADERS THEY SINCERELY NEED WISDOM!! PROV 4:7

• Niyi

March 19, 2013 at 11:59 pm

All these have been considered. The tablets are all custom made. With names installed on the pack, the case , on the tablet, and also right inside the tablet. Cheers

• Ready

March 20, 2013 at 8:59 am

Hi Niyi,
      I think you should do an entire column explaining the thought that went into this decision. From your responses, I see that you guys have really considered the pros and cons. I don’t know what your role in this was/is, but if you’re part of the Osun state cmtee that decided, you need to explain this to the people, and other states may possibly do it based on your model.

8. Mr Universe

March 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I think the project is very interesting and although it is not perfect it’s a great step in the right direction. We need to expose our children to good education and cutting edge technology.

My 2yr old neice can use an ipad so I think kids in secondary school should be able to handle a tablet. Lets give them some credit. Tablets are much easier to use than desktop computers and much easier to maintain in terms of power usage and also moving parts, after all a tablet is just a self contained screen.

From my understanding the tablets are to be returned by the students after each term or after they graduate so it’s still school property. I have seen similar programs like this in other schools and in corporate offices where they issue you a phone, laptop, or iPad/tablet. You are required to keep the device in good condition and they have ways of making sure that you do.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 19, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I don’t think anyone’s major worry here is that the students can’t use tablets. If anything, I recognise Nigerian students as being very street-wise and seriously sharp. They’re probably more aware than I am of all the new technology out there.

However, when was the last time you visited the library of a State run-school? Exactly how many books do you think are left there after each batch of graduating students has done their fair share to demolish the stock of papercopy books? I don’t know what those numbers are these days but I’m not going to put money on a lot of students returning tablets at the end of every school term. My biggest worry is the tablets get stolen by others (even others in their own families) because, unfortunately, that is one of the biggest evils of the Nigerian society. Unless someone thought well ahead and implanted every device with a security feature so it can be traced in the event of theft.

Do you see what I’m getting at? The main concerns being expressed have to do with the sustainaibility of this scheme.

9. busarni

March 19, 2013 at 5:19 pm

mbanu; this is not sustainable at all. Why not upgrade the libraries in these schools with the best technology available, not only will money be saved as well as to avoid corruption. i bet yu guys, intense lobbying will be going on for the supply of these gadgets. Naija sha,,, my tots….

• Rmd

March 22, 2013 at 12:24 am

Because no matter how perfect a library kids won’t go there, this will actually make them study, past WAEC papers are right in front of them! The goal is achieved! Not to waste money building state of the art library that no one will visit

10. Ayo

March 19, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Laudable program but not the most cost effective approach.

11. Ifanyonecares

March 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I applaud any effort, but please if anyone is listening, can we start with clean bathrooms in ALL these schools. Good water supply and clean bathrooms would seem easy to take care of but everyone seems to want to do the big fancy things without doing the small things first. A clean bathroom, where I can comfortably do my business. God bless you all

12. NaijaGurl

March 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Good initiative but before that how well equipped is the rest of the school?Instead of handing out tablets provide computers in all classrooms, upgrade libraries, utilize things such things as smart boards in teaching programs, employ and sustain teachers.

13. Myne Whitman

March 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I am happy to hear that their course subjects are already on the devices. Some issues to be aware of has already been raised by other commenters, but this is a good development.

14. abenibabe

March 19, 2013 at 6:20 pm

who supplied the “opon imo”? one of his cronies i bet!!! students who can barely read and write and have rarely worked on a computer, u are supplying tablets? how is that supposed to improve their written and spoken english? smh….

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 12:53 am

Hi but they can use a smart phone cant dey?

15. sister in the Lord

March 19, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I can just picture a hungry student selling his tablet for a few bucks.lol

16. esteelauder

March 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm

very good intention, but they went about it the wrong way. i assume that before any major decision is made, a lot of brainstorming is supposed to go into it. Cledges idea is really good, that method would have been more sustainable and cheaper to implement, plus having state of the are libraries would make it easier to monitor what these students do with the computers. i must however commend them for this initiative, it could just have been done differently

17. tia

March 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm

this is a very good step…great idea…

18. beeess

March 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I hope these students have”working” computers in their computers labs and instructors who can teach them how to use a computer and conduct research. Giving them Tablets? Well sha, I think thats too much… Calm down and make sure their infrastructure and the entire learning environment is hazard free before throwing such gadgets at them… Plus, It’s really unnecessary… i don’t know sha.

19. Gorgeous

March 19, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Nice. At least those kids have all the books and notes on there to help them succeed in WAEC. Some kids cannot afford textbooks, so this is a wonderful step. I wish this was available in my time. Nice on Aregbe.

20. Mr Universe

March 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’m sure they can make sure the students return the tablets, that’s not enough to knock the program. We can think of creative ways to influence people’s behavior. Some school programs even with books that are issued each year will not release your grades or graduation certificate until any balance you have with the school are paid in full. Even universities abroad use that method. Sometimes you can’ begin the next semester until a balance is paid. With corporate programs they have access to your paycheck so they can dock your pay for damaged property. Rather than condemn any one solution can’t we can figure a way for it to work?

I agree the school e-library is also an interesting solution but will all students be required to use the library? If they are how many students can the library handle? Would students get access more than once or twice a week? With a personal device each student would use it daily. Are there any alternatives to this kind of exposure?

21. Blue

March 19, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Nigerian leaders do no think before they act. They do not analyze alternatives or even think of the sustanability of projects and services they launch.

What would tablets do to kids who do not even know how to use computers. How about setting up computer rooms and libraries in these schools where computer teachers can coach them on the use of these computers. That way when they graduate the next set of students can make use of the computers.

Most of those students might even end up selling those tablets .. esp given that some of them cant even afford 3 square meals.

Most (if not all) of our leaders are very big illiterates because they make decisions like fools and spend our money like people who are insane!

Always one shameful news after the other everyday with these leaders!

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 12:57 am

Hi have u seen a toddler use a computer but im sure youve seen one use a tab open your eyes and heart and please join us in the 21st century cheers

22. mexo

March 19, 2013 at 8:05 pm

The future is IT technology and if we have to leapfrog otherwise we will be left behind. Since we have been unable to provide good teachers and better school environments, app learning is also a way of learning and will help bridge the gap for these students. This is a good move. Corruption or no corruption, at least these students now have an edge both in the use of technology and in the learning process. There is no need to wait for good teachers because they don’t exist anymore. This is an enabler to these kids education and we hope others can replicate this. In the western world, students learn from tablets as part of their learning process.

• Ready

March 20, 2013 at 9:10 am

I absolutely agree. People argue that we should pay teachers more…but how many teachers are attempting to improve themselves? How many are really passionate about passing on information in ways that kids will understand? Having access to the internet for students who yearn to learn provides more than just one avenue to learn. Past questions too? Those cost a small fortune. After reading Kabir’s comment, I’m absolutely down for the cause. And as for the “they can’t read” bit, there are reading apps and things..you’d be surprised that these are the same children who follow Premier League and La Liga so faithfully via newspapers and headlines on the news; this will only help them further I believe. I hope they also get exposed to student activism so they can better their communities and schools.

23. pam

March 19, 2013 at 8:11 pm

one tablet contains the equivalent of 3 cartons of books and past questions. all should become IT literate. how doesnt it make sense? only issue is electricity. they will find a way. If 50% of the students use it… thats a great start

24. anon

March 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm

at least it is better than the governor that goes around giving millions in wedding presents and all.

25. Tunji

March 19, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Absolute rubbish! Go n check the classes where the students receive lectures before you start commending this rogue. How many students sits in a class? What is the ratio of Teachers to students in core subjects? How equipped are the Library and the Laboratories? While I’ll make case for a greener environment by supporting the use e-books and multi-media in learning. Hard copies is not replaceable for students at this level.

• Naija Realist

March 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

So you would prefer that the students sit in nice classroom but have nothing to read? SMDH…

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 1:00 am

Hi 2 words STONE AGE

26. brittany

March 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm

they dont even know how to use it or how to use it effectively…is it only distributing and das all?

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 1:02 am

Hi how did you get to know how to use a PC ***computer school? Or u bot 1and practiced *****wake up dear

27. Kola

March 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm

How will they chargetthe Tablets

• Ready

March 20, 2013 at 9:13 am

Same way their parents charge their cell phones! You guys, some people have made businesses out of just charging phones and lamps, sad for the country? Maybe, but that has created jobs for some people now. I think these tablets even eliminate the need to “burn the night candle/lamp”. Some people already went in talking about how our leaders are illiterates; I’m not from Osun, neither am I an Aregbesola fan, but that was so out of line..’specially if y’all didn’t read the details before commenting. That’s why some ppl can’t take some of us seriously.

28. molarah

March 19, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I think some Nigerians are just professional whiners and complainers. People can we learn to appreciate good things, please?

For those saying its an opportunity for corruption, lobbying, inflated contracts…, tell me, what developmental project isn’t? If leaders allow these kind of thoughts to slow them down then we are not going to make any progress at all. And for others saying the money should go into infrastructure, libraries, classrooms, better teachers, well I’ll let you know Lagos state has done exactly that with the World Bank sponsored Eko project. But how much radical progress has that brought to the quality of education in the state? And why do we think because we did all our learning with hard copy materials the next generation must do same? Please the world is changing, let’s keep up with the times. I personally think this idea is laudable, has great potential to take education to higher levels and create bigger platforms to engage students on educational issues outside the classroom walls. But, as someone already mentioned, time will tell.

29. Peppy

March 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Thank God i heard good news today, this is really commendable and should be practised in all states too. Other Governors take note

30. Kabir

March 19, 2013 at 11:49 pm

@cledges

Thanks for your commendation, but I think your questions are naive and a bit unfounded. May I make some clarification for your benefit and that of the audience.
    Sustainability is at the heart of the Opon Imo project. Being involved in the heart of Opon Imo project, I can tell you, this doesn’t fall into your “Politicians Seeking Elephant Projects” category. This might as well be a candidate for the most innovative, silver-bullet means of ‘ democratising access’ to learning, that our country has seen in a long time. I will make some pointers to this.

First, your numbers on Osun are wrong. There are 750,000 students in Osun of which 150,000 are Senior Secondary School Students.

Opon Imo was setup to help Senior Secondary Students prepare better for School Leaving Examinations. It provides 54 Textbooks, Tutorials and Thousands of Past Questions to aid the learning and exam preparation.

The plan is to give tablets to all 150,000 students and recycle these as students pass out. In effect the tablets will be available for all secondary students as they graduate to senior classes.

You may wonder how we will ensure this happens. Wellm there is a plan. The State pays for and holds the WAEC certificate of all graduating students, students will be collecting there results in exchange for the Opon Imo assigned to them. The state is also very aware, that regardless, there will be collateral losses. One is consoled at the exposure and opportunity such a scheme will provide to Kids who hitherto would never have had such.

As to the issue of Students never handling a Computer or Tablet. The scheme seeks to effectively change that through ‘Exposure’. It’s not just about giving the kids Tablets, it about exposing them to latest tool their peers use in the west , its use, maintenance and more importantly the technology.
    It’s a strategy to effectively prepare Osun kids for a world of Technological advancement through ‘Exposure’. Remember, the best way to learn, is to do (have).

As to , E-library vs Tablet issue. Here’s my take, and I tell you this from my exposure, It appears to me you have missed a more critical cost component of setting up a Technology solution, and that’s the ‘Power’ component. You see, its easier to buy the computers /tablets and install them. These installations are dotted across the country. Often, these schemes die, because sustaining the powering of the devices becomes an issue.
    Opon Imo consiously uses, the Tablet as a medium, because we seek to decentralise ‘Power’ component. The idea behind this are simple, if people can have Mobile Phones and power them, then they will be able to power Tablets, especially when there Kids derive value from them.

By having Tablets rather than your conventional computers, Kids can study with such Mobility, that they wouldn’t have with PCs. I am sure even you would have had good eureka study moments in the rest room at home and other places, you would struggle to use a PC. One could say, Opon Imo brings the School Closer to the Student.

So, I will disagree with you on the numbers you used above. I doubt your N15,000,000 the cost of powering these computers per day. Opon Imo defrays thats cost on the Families, making it more sustainable. Also, the 150,000 tablets are available for all 750,000 students, as they graduate through to secondary school.
    When you spread the cost of the scheme, and the hundreds of thousands that can benefit, you will find that the cost per hands is marginal.

I hope this puts things in a better perspective.

• Ifanyonecares

March 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm

please don’t hold onto someone’s result if they don’t return the tablet. WE all know how easily those things can get lost or stolen. Even mine as an adult

• Ifanyonecares

March 20, 2013 at 3:00 pm

And since you say you’re connected to the whole thing, could you also ask them to kindly fix the bathrooms in our kids’ schools. God bless

31. Sugabelly

March 19, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Half of these students CANNOT READ. In NYSC camp I met corpers that supposedly graduated from university but COULD BARELY READ or speak English.

Sadly you need to be able to read fluently before using or owning a tablet becomes a priority.

• Naija Realist

March 20, 2013 at 9:50 am

And do you think that using these tablets will make them LESS able or more able to read?

32. concerned

March 20, 2013 at 12:09 am

@Niyi…Internet and wifi features disabled??? Chinese firm coming to set up factory???… When will Nigeria stop stupid gimmicks and just improve widespread infrastructure,no offence sounds like somebody has been given this contract and stands to make a lot of profit from it…. U need Internet for education purposes….also echoing what everyone has said the education ministers should improve basic things first before jumping 10 holes in technology! I think the children will appreciate free education, good books and good teachers first… : )

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 1:08 am

Hi kindly mention 10 educative websites you know

33. Dpra

March 20, 2013 at 12:40 am

@Sugabelly … my son has been using an HP Touchpad since he was two years old. He’s 4 now and he reads books on the TouchPad.
    This is great news. I’m so proud of this initiative.
    For the skeptics… there are many many projects that did not succeed the first time. Go and read about all the companys that are formed in Silicon Valley every day. This is a great start and it should be applauded.
    The students who will benefit are those who realize the potential and that the power is in their hands. With that said, KhanAcademy.org is a website financed by Gill Gates. Students can go there to view lectures on various subjects. I encourage everyone to look it up. Tell me how this is a bad idea? Cheap and accessible education levels the playing field.

Nigerians… have vision.

Now.. take this vision a bit further and teach students how to make tablets.

• Sugabelly

March 20, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Do you realise that the mechanism behind a two year old learning to use a tablet and reading is very different from semi grown half illiterate children doing the same thing?

It’s like coming a to a post lamenting the fact that a twelve year old cannot speak a language fluently and pointing out that your two year old child can speak it fluently. Very small children learn most things effortlessly and very quickly.

A two or four year old that can or cannot read is not going to be at any kind of disadvantage because they will pick up the skill immediately.

A thirteen or fourteen year old that cannot read however is a totally different matter.

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 1:17 am

You think! its quite d same once you make d learning environment more interactive they will learn. These so called illiterates by you sings english speaking songs with correct lyrics dont they?

34. Naija talk

March 20, 2013 at 1:16 am

Hmmm…..some valid points raised here. However I would say we give the project time to take off and study its effectiveness. I do think it’s a laudable effort though, it shows someone is thinking, is concerned and wants to do something…anything. I really like BN’s idea of bringing this topic up for discourse. I hope the parties involved see some usefulness in some of the recommendations made here, and find ways to work these in to the benefit of the program. I must say that I was very happy to read about Opon Imo. I am also curious to know if the tablets are made in Nigeria. I would be even happier……

35. Naija talk

March 20, 2013 at 1:17 am

*for the benefit*

36. Kabir

March 20, 2013 at 2:09 am

@dpra,

I checked Khan Academy…Looks Nice…

37. Ogechi

March 20, 2013 at 4:50 am

Waste or not, better in their hands than the millions in the hands of a few for ‘lunch’ (if that story is true)

38. Onesavvydollar

March 20, 2013 at 4:55 am

@ofili. I did read that story and yes it is a commendable effort by the state. Eventually, the kids will figure out how to use the tablets.

39. zzzzz

March 20, 2013 at 7:21 am

At least someone is doing something laudable, good that it doesn’t have internet connection. Must be very expensive to sustain but I would say it is a good step.

40. Berry Dakara

March 20, 2013 at 7:50 am

Who’s Niyi and what’s his connection/role to the project?

41. pynk

March 20, 2013 at 8:27 am

they should work on creating a proper learning environment for these kids first. Meaning school meals and proper teachers, then after that they can bring in 1 tablet for every 10 kids self. All this phantom projects, building a house without a foundation.

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 1:21 am

Another misguided individual google search osun state your answers are the. A wise man once told me LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP

42. arinze

March 20, 2013 at 9:13 am

is one tyn givin sm1 a gun n anoda tellin him wu to shoot** u use a tablet to learn in an uncmfortable environment?

43. Cima Brawn Stores

March 20, 2013 at 10:46 am

I say a big well done. If the teachers cant fully equip the students let the tablet help support what they are being taught. Brilliant idea. I am sure they put in educational software.

44. cledges

March 20, 2013 at 3:06 pm

@ Kabir

I find it baffling when you say that the questions raised are naive .you have given answers to some of my questions. The public did not get the full information and as i can tell now, some very vital issues have been raised here ( for you and your team i.e if you have any connections with the project). However, the psychology of the average student in a public school far differs from his/her counterpart in a private school. lets not run far from the truth, This project is commendable but was not properly implemented. several issues must first be addressed, i believe in taking baby steps first before making a giant leap, especially in an environment like ours where noting seems to work.
    Only time will tell how laudable the project is/will be. The average Nigerian student will succeed if given just a little support and the right tool (good classrooms and decent learning environment, well informed teachers, one good meal in school)

• Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 1:24 am

Like i told d other misguided fellow google search osun im sure u have not if u hv u wld hv seen Oschoos Omeals and so on. Please do your research before u talk its key

45. Kabir

March 20, 2013 at 8:59 pm

@cledges

I used ‘naive’, because you appeared critical of the intentions behind the scheme rather hurriedly. But then, that’s typical in this clime. Apologies, for the word. I will agree with you that we could do better with the PR on the scheme.

I will try to work on this and the issues you raised. In the mean time, may I just clarify , that Opon-Imo is just a component within a wide education reform programme of the State. The total cost of Opon-Imo is less than 10% of the cost of the Education reform prgramme. Our most ambitous effort at re-positoning education in Osun, is specifically what you are advocating, Physical Infrastructures for Learning. There is a catch though, the turnaround for such are typically longer. So while we are doing this, we are rolling out Opon as a quicker and silver buller Solution. So you see, we are not that far away in the end.

We are rebuilding and renovating School Infrastructure under the 0-school programme.Please see osundefender.org/?p=37065

We are feeding elementary school kids from Year 1 -4 , free lunch everyday. please see o-meals.com/

We are working on building centre of excellence, capacity building facility for our Teachers, as they are the most important resources for driving change.

We are giving out 150,000 tablets to Senior Secondary Schools, please see opon-imo.com/

Now, I think we can do better with PR and our implementation in general. We dont think we are perfect, but relatively, we believe we are trailing the blaze and setting a standard for the country. As of Now,we are the only state in the country, that runs a ‘state wide’ free meal programme. Bayelse, is following suite.

You will note, that we are effectily touching most of the components you mentioned in the last paragraph of your comment. Opon-Imo is just a component within the reform programme.

Again, apologies my early response.

Regards

46. Azeez

March 22, 2013 at 2:07 am

I sincerely think qestions such as 1what are your plans to provide power or how do you intend to improve their learning environment should be asked instead we are all hearing peoples destructive criticism based on their thoughts without taking their time to simple conduct a research to see if the issue they are about to raise has been solved already. rome was not built in 1day before the release of this tool for learning the government had restructured then school systems, giving free uniforms to all students in the state, has built and still building morden schools for a better conducive environment, has identified and started depolying teachers in lagging school and much more under the education sector
    alone.

I think people should appreciate good efforts when one is seen condemning and calling people illiterates wont make nigeria a better place I have seen people who doesn’t speak good English this is obviously not the state fault as i Recall charity begins at home before we can make the coming generation better we need to put this present one on the right track of literacy evoution opon IMO contains virtual Classroom when there are videos exposing the topic they are reading which means even if you are tired u can still listen and watch what you were reading . It contains ward past questions and answers from 1991-2012 (21yrs)and keeps a chart of your progress so that you can graphically see if u r improving or not this is Beta than our generation where we had to go n buy past questions and answers from local authors which was not certified By waec unlike this system

Clearly a large no of ppl here are naive and largely among the anti development minded people.

47. OH WELL

March 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm

DO THEY HAVE POWER? PHCN DEY DIA HOUSE?

48. Florence

March 27, 2013 at 1:49 pm

There is nothing commendable about this project. We are still battling with electricity cuts so how on earth would you expect them to charge these gadgets.
    How does giving them free tablets encourage the average student to work hard and think his own future? What example are they sending to other students in other states?Crime rate in that are could scale up. That money could be used to invest in several and many other far more sustainable with stronger impact in the lives of these kids and their families.
    Please.
    Infact at times i feel we fuel corruption. When a state government makes such a moves with little or no transparency and the best we can do is laud and commend his efforts. Is it having tablet that will create jobs? procuring those tablets from wherever is a millin jobs we are sending abroad.
    The Governor probably has his underlying agend of 2015 too.
    This is even annoying.

49. Theresa Doghor

July 4, 2014 at 11:19 am

The students will sell it
    Ekiti state folks sold their vote for a bag of rice
    They will sell those tablets for money
    Some things come with responsibility.

udookonjo.com