Career

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Much Ado About Careers

With a heaving chest and her right forefinger she yelled in my direction “You gan Atoke, would you date or marry a customs officer?” So, what did I do to deserve such words this weekend? Absolutely nothing! Well, I met someone this weekend who said he used to be a customs officer and it reminded me of a conversation I had years ago in Moremi Hall in Unilag.

Anyway, on that day, I was waiting for my friend, D, in front of the faculty. She came out with this older looking guy who was wearing a suit with his tie hanging loosely around his neck. In that instant I was angry that I’d agreed to wait for her. There’s nothing more annoying than when you plan to walk from class to the hostel with your friend and then a guy shows up and you end up trailing behind them or having to walk fast ahead of them.

There was no point in stopping to buy Suya at QSS anymore but I decided to wait for her at Moremi gate. After waiting for like 3 minutes, she finally caught up with me. One glance at my scowl and she started apologizing “Sorry na. That’s the man that I told you was doing a part time LLM, the one I said was a customs officer”. Refusing to break into the smile, I said, tight lipped “So, have you now gree’d?“. It appeared my question didn’t deserve a response because she trotted speedily to the first floor where our room was. I had to plot my payback for the Suya deprivation by again asking her about her customs officer when I got to the room.

You see, hostels in Unilag are special… or at least they were when I was there. An eight-man room is usually occupied by at least 14 people because of squatters and friends of both “space owner” and the squatter; so the chances that your room will be deathly quiet at all times are very slim. Luckily, the room was full of all the guaranteed noise makers! I promptly established the premise of the gist. “D is refusing to gree for this her customs officer oh! Biko what is wrong with a customs officer?”

That is how a full scale debate began in the room about the dignity of labour. The other side of the debate argued that some jobs just have bad “P.R”. I think someone mentioned the Nigerian Police but they didn’t really push that angle as Temi’s daddy was a D.P.O. Someone argued that customs officers make quite a bit of extra cash on the side and as such D should remember her in her kingdom when she eventually says yes! I was very comfortable playing the role of moderator until the question was thrown at me. It was a good time to quickly rush downstairs to buy my Suya before the QSS people packed up.

I don’t remember what they concluded on, but it was a fun night and makes a good memory. What do you guys think? Do you think there are some professions from which you wouldn’t date/marry? And no, you’re not allowed to mention “Commercial Sex Worker” because that’s too easy… well, actually NO it’s not.

Okay folks, I gotta love you and leave you. Have a great, fantastic, fabulous week ahead. Remember that this life is too fleeting to hold a protracted grudge. Smile. Make a positive impact and be happy.

Peace, love & cupcakes!
Toodles!

Photo Credit: vfxture.com

1. Anita....

May 13, 2013 at 9:14 am

I say a big yes to Engineers,Architects or someone who owns his own co. However a resounding no to a policeman,bankers (stingy womanizers?),army guys(I fit manage navy sha!),a lawyer (tho I’ll be one myself in a short while ,I find male lawyers can be quite obnoxious…..even d ones still in training).

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 13, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Darling, you’re absolutely right about male lawyers (even the ones in training), I also find they can be a real pain in the a** when they set their minds to it… However, I’ve managed to still make a few good friends among them, notwithstanding this particular annoyance (shout out to my amazing bros from lawschool!) 🙂 … I’ve just never dated them. Always preferred engineers, from way back in Uni, there’s just always been something extremely attractive to me about how laid back and charming the men in that particular discipline appear to be …

• Karonwi

May 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm

any idea what LLM in the post means?

2. Paige

May 13, 2013 at 9:38 am

Yea, somehow I don’t see myself dating a Police Officer… It’s a No! No

3. Neo

May 13, 2013 at 9:40 am

Mine is weird. No Pastors! I love and admire them oh, from a safe distance. I just feel like I’m too abnormal (read as playful, funny and vibrant) to be a Pastor Mrs. Thats how i’d have to wear shine shine suits from Turkey and hats and be Mummy G.O. I’m not heckling those who can, im just saying its not my calling.

Also no to Police and other armed forces (though i find navy guys infinitely sexy) The lower ranking ones will be giving you 200k in 20 and 50 naira notes collected from duty post at checkpoint while the higher ranking ones are easy targets.

Accountants too! I dont want my husband to be using calculator to calculate market list for me!

• Bleed blue

May 13, 2013 at 11:13 am

Neo you’re funny as heck!!!

This police officer matter, a friend of mine in Uni who was one of the babest of the babes at the time, annouced she was getting married to a policeman. We were all quite suprised by her choice until I went along with her to visit him just before the wedding. Lo and behold, my mindset changed oh!

I say ehn!…his swagger was too much, his English superb, his house immaculately furnished, his manners were top notch, everything about him was too cool abeg, he joined the force for no other reason than to apply himself into making a difference in crime-fighting in the state.
      From “Kemi’s policeman boyfriend”, we didn’t even know when we started to refer to him as “Kemi’s fiance who’s a cop”.

But then…I have no doubt he’s the rare exception! 🙂

• kay

May 13, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Hahaha “Kemi’s fiancee who is a cop”… Packaging makes the difference EVERYTIME!!

• I hate people that say "thank me later"

May 14, 2013 at 12:10 am

hahahahahahaha!! policeman is soooooo different from cop! we girls are shallow sha!!…

• Bleed blue

May 14, 2013 at 9:15 am

@ “I hate it when….”

Yeah we were impressed by his look but make no mistake we were also impressed by his outlook. Did you not see the part where I said he joined the force solely to fight crime in the state? I would say that’s deep enough to change a mindset as most policemen out there are in it for the “egunje”.
      So this your generalisation that “we girls are shallow”, abeg keep it for yourself oh 🙂

Meanwhile, been curious for a while…why do you hate it when people say thank me later? First time I saw your name, I laughed out loud for real!

• Partyrider

May 13, 2013 at 11:38 am

Loool 😀

• Berry Dakara

May 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm

LOL @ shine shine suits from Turkey!

PREACH ON, SISTER GURL!

• nan

May 13, 2013 at 1:24 pm

hahahahahahahahaha…… you took that out of my mouth!! A huge no no for pastors, i met one recently he was bringing the marriage talk….. i just jejeli avoid am….. not that its a bad profession but i don’t see myself becoming a mama tomorrow!!

4. london's finest

May 13, 2013 at 9:40 am

hmmmmm… i might be a little jittery about dating a police officer. although it depends. . . . if he does back office duties as a police office. eg. IT project manager of Nigerian Police Force Abuja or a surgeon at the Police Hospital (if there’s anything like a police hospital), then I wont mind.

5. Berry Dakara

May 13, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hmmmm. Police officer (in any country), LASTMA/FRSC and the like, Garbage men, Driver, I want to say anyone in the Entertainment industry (singer, actor, model) but I’m not completely against them. I can’t think of anymore.

berrydakara.blogspot.com

6. wura

May 13, 2013 at 9:45 am

never new atoke Monday morning banter was interesting, dis is my first time of opening it . nice work guys

• Jo!

May 13, 2013 at 10:45 am

tsk tsk…

• Partyrider

May 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

Uhmm you’ve been missing.. Go check out last Monday’s banter , was really nice..

7. Kiki

May 13, 2013 at 9:52 am

Well, I ll never say never but I don’t sha think I will date a doctor set before it reaches marriage. I just believe they hav touched to many dead bodies… My sister just finished from med school and sad as it is, I can’t even wear her clothes

• Partyrider

May 13, 2013 at 11:45 am

Ahan now 🙁 it’s not like we deep ourselves inside the cadaver ,plus we wear lab coats inside the dissecting room and in the hospital. After the first 3 years of med school we don’t deal with dead bodies again.
      Meanwhile I don’t want to marry a doctor lol..

• impervious

May 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Luv I’m a doctor and I would not even consider it as a viable option…. my poverty and lack of time does not need company

• Fun all the way

May 13, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Aside the dead body thingy….the night duty nko? *piss off*

8. ALEXIA

May 13, 2013 at 10:04 am

i’m actually gradually getting sucked in to reading Atoke’s monday morning barter every week!

9. Anon

May 13, 2013 at 10:05 am

I love me an architect!

10. ALEXIA

May 13, 2013 at 10:08 am

I don’t think I have any problem with any job specification as long as u r a hard and smart worker but I love me a CEO

11. deep

May 13, 2013 at 10:10 am

So far you’re not a babalawo, commercial sex worker, ritualist, lastma official, brazilian hair trader or pimp, we dey ok. *wink*

12. JADE

May 13, 2013 at 10:12 am

@Neo LMAOOOOOOO, no be small shine shine suit from turkey and be mummy G.O, i couldnt also marry a pastor,too stressful too many rules,too many do’s and dont’s. I cant marry a man in a proffession that i’d be scared each time he goes to work like Agents, police. fire services etc. Every other one is fine 🙂

13. mariam

May 13, 2013 at 10:21 am

always love your write ups. lovely week to you too

14. Abiola

May 13, 2013 at 10:32 am

First of all…i also remember QSS …deir suya make super sense..Atoke thanks for bringing memories, about d room there was no year i didn’t have a squatter or squatters cus there was a time i squatted 2 people at d same time..lol..i enjoyed Unilag days..and back to d matter…My NO to an Engr (cus he will never be at home and they womanize alot), Pilot ( Mi o le wa ku, anytime he is flying na to enter praying and fasting), Yahoo Boiz(Capital NOOOOOO), Yes to a hardworking, smart , future conscious Man…

15. Bedazzled

etc etc

• Partyrider

May 13, 2013 at 11:37 am

*rolling into the river* LMAO

• Autoprincess

May 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

lol, but who come remain to marry now?

• Haphenie

May 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Architects, Ceo’s of IT firms, IT specialist e.t.c…. 🙂

• nan

May 13, 2013 at 1:30 pm

hahahahahahahahahaaha……………. LMAO!!!

16. MTY

May 13, 2013 at 10:53 am

cant date or marry a police officeror soldier, can consider a medical doctor, any other profession is fyn by me as long as the man is hardworking, smart and vision driven

17. Abana

May 13, 2013 at 10:55 am

I can so marry a customs officer. I have many friends with Father’s as customs officers. Abeg they are wealthy! I walked into a friend’s house and my mouth hung open. Aside from the mansion, they had separate chalets. I had to ask if he’s father was really a customs officer. Me sef I want to join the Nigerian Immigration Whatver they call themselves. We have to share the money.

• Abana

May 13, 2013 at 11:11 am

I don’t even mind getting married to a police man or soldier as long as he is educated. When he becomes inspector general of police or chief of army staff, I won’t even remember his raggedy beginnings.

18. amarry

May 13, 2013 at 11:02 am

haaa………comments here sha…laff haff finish me in d offiz……….well i cant marry a police man tufiakwa…….or an actor……

19. AA

May 13, 2013 at 11:07 am

The funniest comment has got to be the accountant one p’aps cos i’m one, i use “calculator” just to ensure everything adds up and to fit in somn for all the plenty things i want in life but have a limited budget for.

20. beforesheimplodes

May 13, 2013 at 11:11 am

I KENT MARRY ACCOUNTANT!!!! They have evosteek in their veins!!! Police officer, soldier…armed forces…apart from the fact that they are not really respected and associated with all things shady in this country of ours; if you are going to be in the line of fire more often than not, I am not doing.
    Doctors is a 50/50 thing because of the being on call and always having to go in tot he hospital to save someone and me looking bad if I say “Cant someone else do it” with a pout. The noble factor is a big win though. Any other one is fine I think.

21. AA

May 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

I no fit date/marry pastor, what if ur hubby later becomes one, will u call the marriage quits? Selah

22. Anita....

May 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

Ehenn…..I forgot to add yahoo boys and pastors sef…..
    Yahoo boys bcos d fear of EFCC is d beginning of wisdom,also wt happens when oyinbo dz Nt pay…..owu tins mehn,I can’t shout.
    Pastors cos 1. I’m catholic to d bone 2. I luv me some fashion I luv clothes and shoes (Dnt dress skanky oo) and I wld hate to hav restrictions placed on wt I wear nd where I go bcos my Oga on top works for THE ” Oga at the top”………

23. d

May 13, 2013 at 11:27 am

lol @ accountant have evosteek in their veins, don’t worry dear come marry economist we will take care of u. No evosteek (wink wink).

• lola

May 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm

lol. economist ke? they are even worse than accountants. I’m an accountant- in- training as well and i’ve noticed i find myself punching calculator and doing some menta kaku. lmao.

Lawyers annoy the heck out of me. Those human beings in wigs think they know everything, and i find that most male lawyers dont marry female lawyers. The one about engineers being womanizers is a new one. I thought doctors were mostly into that, cos i find my mom(nurse) always complaining about doctors being oniranu and all. lol. And dont even get me started on surgeons. Their brains go dey everly touch. really interesting write up atoke.

24. L'queen

May 13, 2013 at 11:53 am

Neo is so funny…ur comments r always very hilarious. As for me I can’t marry any security agent…bfr heart attack go kill person. Teacher: no go area. Journalist: Mbanu. Smone wiv safe hoFiz job or business

25. Abiola

May 13, 2013 at 11:57 am

@ beforesheimplodes..the doctor tingy can be annoying but what can someone do *give up look* especially when u already planning a nice treat with babe or dude..chai..i hates those moments

26. eniola

May 13, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Thanks BN Commenters you got me smiling this morning, after a colleague almost ruined my day with his inability to put his aggression in check. And of course thanks to darling Atoke for the write-up, nice as always. POLICE GINI? Hell NO!, Custom Officer? double clicks YES, never seen a dirty one and usually tall, dunno if that’s part of the criteria they consider before selecting them. Accountant? I’m like WTF! right now. nibo! awon ahun buruku! – stingy fellas. I know one who never has more than two thousand naira in his wallet and strictly in one thousand naira notes, such that, when the need to buy petty things arises he’d say ” ah, Eniola mii ma ni change”. tah! Pastor? Oh Lord help my faith. Lawyers? ejo o! talk of life, there’ll always be a point to prove. Doctor? hmmm, considerable. dahsall.

27. VW - Das Auto

May 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I only have two conditions sha. Just two. Lol. Number one – As long as he is a professional and in a career that is not male dominated because such men tend to be able to love and support a strong professional woman because they work with them everyday and respect their opinion and don’t think women are lesser beings. They see how women are running things at work and they’ll want their woman to also succeed and me as a woman will loooooooooove that. Oluwa answer my prayers o. I dated one neanderthal who works on an oil rig and not only were his work schedule crazy. Gone for months on end he has zero tolerance for women with careers. He wants you to be sitting pretty at home waiting for him and when he’s off from the rig he wants 100% attention. Oginni as your papa send you go school so he send me too na.
    Number 2 – as long as his job is not in one of those “soft” fields (no offense to anyone please) but male nurses, physiotherapists, make up artists, male kindergarten or nursery teachers, – basically female dominated careers where testosterone is in short supply. Men thrive in testosterone charged environments, the competition, the drive to succeed is really high, but when you work with so so women women everyday they don’t really really challenge themselves. Not saying women are not driven o, but in those “soft” (I’m not saying they dont have meaningful careers before someone crucifies me) careers they are happy coming to work everyday, getting their salary, going home, the cycle continues. So, me with the running multi million Euro projects with assignments in 5 different countries, we have very little to talk about and you can’t relate or be the rock I need him to be and vice versa, Work is a huge part of your life and both partners need to be able to be a part of each other’s lives in that respect too. I dont know sha but those are my conditions. I’m not even particular about salary

• Nimi

May 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm

LMAO @ ‘soft fields’

I feel you though….

• lex

May 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm

You are saying that Nursing is not challenging and that it’s a soft profession. You sure don’t know anything about nursing and how hard it is to get a nursing degree in the U.S. Men and women in nursing are working long hours everyday to put smile on other people’s faces. I think you can admire that.

• Bukie

May 13, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Lex, most of us are thinking of these professions in the the nigerian context.

Besides I think the US is one of the few countries where nursing is actually
      A friend of mine who is an Instrument Engineer and lives in Houston actually considered going into Nursing. She chose otherwise ’cause she didn’t find it challenging enough and could not see a future bright future for herself as a Nurse in Nigeria. She is an Engineer in Houston earning betta Oil n Gas money!

Even in the UK, Nursing is not a sought after field. They actually don’t have enough.

• Bukie

May 13, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Ma bad, meant to say, ‘the US is one of the few countries where Nursing is actually an attractive Profession’…

• Yeni

May 13, 2013 at 7:11 pm

You calling nursing a soft profession means you don’t know much about the profession. Do u how hard it is doing long days (that’s a 12.5hrs shift) as placement, going to university for lectures and also trying to manage your time to do your assignments.

• Yeni

May 13, 2013 at 7:31 pm

know*

• UU

May 13, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Okay make una no vex I’m sure she didn’t mean it to be insulting. You have to agree sha that testosterone is in short supply in the Nursing profession and it is probably only in the US that nursing is really lucrative and not considered a “soft” profession. Okay I see how the word soft can be annoying sha. Lol. Male nursery or kindergarten teacher omo no no no no no no no. On the same level as Oga Olopa, Customs Officer, Politician and Pastor for me

28. temitope

May 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm

OMG bella naija readers haff finished me with their comments ooo…hmmm, I don’t know why I ve always found navy, airforce and army guys attractive…I don’t mind sha, so far he has d right qualities I want in a man, but police, actors, singers, accountant etc, a big NO

29. jcsgrl

May 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Kai these comments are making my monday morning

30. Mz Socially Awkward...

May 13, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I like to play it safe and hedge my bets and therefore can’t reckon with –
    anyone in the armed forces;
    anyone in the fashion industry (this includes models, designers, photographers… my ego can’t handle the fact of you always being surrounded by beautiful women on a day-to-day basis);
    anyone in the entertainment industry (reasons are very close to that given above… I mean, how does Majid Michel’s wife cope with all those women eyeing up her hubby?);
    anyone who holds any kind of political office or aspirations (especially in Nigeria unless I find myself carrying Michelle O’s annointing);
    any man conducting vague commercial activities “of-no-fixed-address”, that calls himself as business man (how you dey take chop?);
    IT dudes (the ones I work with just always seem to be on call 24/7);
    Postmen/lorry drivers/waiters/garbage men/taxi drivers (I’m sorry oh, but I’m always going to ask where your ambition is… and notice how I didn’t include mechanics/welders/electricians/capenters as I believe those vocations involve some specialized training which could potentially take a man to greater career opportunities).

However, all this one na mouth, because as my friend likes to eloquently put it “all of dem join for husband” 🙂

• VW - Das Auto

May 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm

My dear, tell me about it when it gets to ambition. There are some fields that I’m sorry you have to look haaaaard to find the ambition. Its not as if the man doesn’t work hard or is lazy but you just have to wonder. Bros where are you going in life? Especially as you are working with men that are running things, strong confident men that just rub you the right way (pun not intended). Me I have to be able to fall in love with your brain and see how it works whether you are running your own business o, or an employee o. That is on top of my list. A driven and ambitious brain is sexy as hell to me, even if he looks like Seal. As long as I can respect his intelligence, I can learn from him and I can relate to his work and vice versa. GBAM I am sold. If i want to be vain, let me add dresses well too, I am a sucker for a guy in a well cut suit. Not prada fashion model o. say wetin

31. Evagreen

May 13, 2013 at 1:27 pm

A man with depth of character, matured and God fearing can make the best of any profession. The profession don’t matter to me now (of course the bad law breaking ones are not an option). I married an Engineer who’s knows his onions

32. Abiola

May 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm

LMFAOooooo

33. jcsgrl

May 13, 2013 at 1:45 pm

When I was single, guys who had pastoral or political ambitions always came my way. I was interested in doctors, lawyers, engi, etc. I ended up getting married to someone who has both ambitions (pastoral and political). (inserts crying face) Why me??? I hope it works eventually cos I’m not sure I will go this route for 2nd missionary journey (God forbid o!)

• Cat on a hot tin roof

May 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Eeya, kpele. What do you mean, hope it works? You don marry am finish now lol.

• jcsgrl

May 14, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I know my dear that’s why I said it better be worth it in the end because in my next life, I think I will stick to my original list…lol

34. 5'5

May 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm

muah atoke! I have an eternal fear for men in Uniform, i used to quake in my shoes when i see them, now i just side step them so i wont be marrying any anytime soon.

I love engineers. sigh something ohh soo sexy about engineering boys. Boys that study Economics and the likes?? jury’s out on themm, not sure i actually fancy them..hehe. Except your like into research and you make policies and the likes ehen then you can bowl me over with your superior knowledge on econometrics…

35. priscilla

May 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm

ve always loved engineers don’t know y, not into lawyers at all maybe cos I don’t like guys in suit, doctors okay mayb cos am currently in love wit one

36. bussie

May 13, 2013 at 2:23 pm

‘ve always been all about the engineers, architects kinda people but after dating a lawyer for 5 years, i wondered how i could even consider any other profession. Not just ‘cos i’m one but i find lawyers very concise, smart, articulate, well-read….the list goes on. Now, i’m with an accountant and i cant help but worry if he’ll meet up (intellectually). my no-nos _ pastor (whispering silently so God won’t hear and change His mind 🙂 ), policeman ke? say wetin happen, but the airfore, navy, etc, maybe. customs too, however NSCDC.dazal? don’t think so jare

• lola

May 13, 2013 at 4:12 pm

lol bussie. you all just like to act like you are smart *runs away* there are other intellectual professions outside of Law. Like medical Doctors and Accountants. You all need to get off your Lawyer high horse. you are not the best things since sliced bread. *jokes* Only a lawyer will have a car sticker that says “I’m a Lawyer trouble is my work” Wtf does that mean? lmao.
      I’m on some lawyer binshing today.

• slice

May 15, 2013 at 6:20 am

A lawyer’s brain is a sexy brain. I dare say the sexiest there is.

• bussie

May 15, 2013 at 11:02 am

Awwwh lola, why the beef nau? 🙂 and u know say u need us *dancing excitedly* and you really can’t beat the intellectual prowess of *de law* 🙂

37. mia

May 13, 2013 at 2:42 pm

dated a guy in uniform once, they could be sweet and classy but mehn, he could be gone for a whole year without looking back, plus cos he’s never around, u have to make room for other ladies (sleeping around is their second nature). Lawyers, nah, i feel they talk too much and most of them earn 20k in some parlor firm, contractor, no way! i’ve always like engineers sha, but never got one.

38. The Real Madam the Madam

May 13, 2013 at 3:23 pm

LOL. Neo cracked me up with her comment.
    I have to admit that there is something very unsexy about a man in the nursing profession. I like an alpha male engineer, IT sort. That said, if he checks off all boxes and happens to be a nurse, then I have no choice but to love him, scrubs and all.

39. Naveah

May 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Why customs officer no go rich when they put people’s lives in danger by turning their backs to things they should pay attention to while getting their palms greased all day and all night long? I have absolutely no respect for them. Imagine how embarasses I was when my husband and I were talking to some of people about airport conditions in Nigeria while walking down to the security area of JFK airport, lo and behold there was a sign listing airports that were not operating under the proper security initiatives…Murtala Muhammed airport was in the only one listed for being in violation of every damn security law on the books because the customs officers do not adhere to establish inernational regulations. You can pass through there with anything you want as long as you greased a long chain of hungry jackals!

ANY WAY BACK TO THE CONVERSATION AT HAND; I can understand people who live in Nigeria not wanting to date police officer, bus driver, teacher etc. In Nigeria, those jobs DO NOT pay and there is little room for growth, sad but true. It is NOT the same in other places like in the States.

In the States, a PLUMBER makes MORE than a doctor! A plumber coming to your house to check your sewage system and why your toilet is clogged will NOT come there for no less than $85 an hour. Doctors make about $65 per hour. Here jobs that are considered Blue collar can pay even more than your fancy suit and tie jobs. Women here do not look down their noses on a garbage collector because guess what, that garbage collector works a FEDERAL government job with federal pay, full pension and benefits after 20 years of service. I know someone who started at the Department of Sanitation at 25 years of age, he put in 30 years and now he is retired at 55 and still young enough to do some other thing part time for extra income if he feels like it. Police officers in certain areas like in the suburbs such as Suffolk county in Long Island NY clock $85k a year without overtime, full pension, benefits such as health insurance/life insurance, death benefits etc. All they deal with is cat in the tree, a rowdy house party or two, some traffic violation. I am not talking CITY cops, they make a little less and see more crime.

So it all depends on where you are and therefore relative.

• slice

May 15, 2013 at 6:24 am

the plumber comparison is missing one thing. the plumber is getting paid per hour for the time he spent at your house (probably one or two hours). he won’t get paid for the time to get there and drive back. the doctor gets paid from the time he shows up. Plus honestly, I don’t know any doctor that has completed training that earns less than $120,000/year for starters. Some women look down their nose at a garbage collector in every country.

40. Naveah

May 13, 2013 at 3:43 pm

*embarassed*

41. madam Y

May 13, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I absolutely love your articles Atoke. They usually make my Mondays more interesting, and people’s comments are epic! Anyways, onto today’s topic…I can’t really list certain professions I would or wouldn’t want to date/marry, however I would say I wouldn’t want to date/marry someone in a profession that I would be ashamed of saying outside. Abeg o! So, young couple now, we go out with other young couples, and professions come into play…I introduce myself as Y, and I am a systems engineer….and then time for my boo to introduce himself, we’ll both be mumbling or i’ll be staring at the floor because oga is a bricklayer, or a “wetin you carry” sorta police officer!

42. tunsbaby

May 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Once dated an NDLEA guy was well put 2geda plus he know how to spend money nd spoil u silly… Since den i av been on praying 2 marry a uniform man(exemption 2 police). Any other smart intelleigent guy would do but I love a ‘ME’ time so would love a guy that his job requres travelling sometimes. W**k. Mi o le wa ku

43. mamadmama

May 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I used to think IT Guys before. But those guys ehen are also dangerous and dodgy ever since my mate in IT said he hacked and remotely accessed his babe’s laptop etc to see what she was up to. But I still do like IT Guys because I am not great with tech. I like men in Finance but not accountants and economists( can someone spell stingyassmofo;s), maybe a stockbroker but they usually have egos (but the right ego can be caressed by me) lol anyhow I never really thought about it. I think for me You just have to be hardworking. Wherever you are now or have been I need to see a trend and history of being Hardworking, Ambitious and having a relatively high fear of failure. You need to be educated well. Not neccessarily abroad like me, but I dont want to have to cut some people off because I would be embarassed to introduce you, or because you type lyk dis: hw re ou? etc you know them ones. And all these so called business consultants – like my mum said kini o consult gan gan? Unless you with I wouldnt mind a lawyer but I think we would be too similar. I dont want a teacher or lecturer – yawn. I get bored quickly and wont be able to share a passion for one field. Gemini Problems. IT, and Engineering are up there and the Navy man too (love a man in uniform i.e. jake from Scandal :D) The Army but at a Mid-Senior Position- Cheif Mrs Things. Relatively safe industries. Ejo o I have to think about future and my children. LOL

• nwanyi na aga aga

May 13, 2013 at 5:57 pm

loooool @’like my mum said kini o consult gan gan’ chei! i haff died.

• Meeeee

May 14, 2013 at 12:37 am

Am a gemini that married an IT guy. He respects my privacy so no hacking of computers. LOL. He might change his profession very soon though.

44. jennietobbie

May 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm

lmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooo. comments are hilarious. Atoke, Tuesday afternoon musing??? yes? Love you 🙂

45. Slip

May 13, 2013 at 7:40 pm

funny comments here from peeples…atoke this is good

46. Slip

May 13, 2013 at 7:50 pm

@beforesheimplodes you are simply vicious lol “I KENT MARRY ACCOUNTANT!!!! ” lol you’re so funny. Then try economists they are …

47. Back2sender

May 13, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Ha! Engineers are the in thing now and doctors are not bad. Custom officers Ole! Lawyers hmm :).

48. Passerby

May 13, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Atoke’s early morning banter is one of d few reasons I look upto a new week. I feel like i have a family here. *big smile*

49. Tunji

May 13, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Thank u atoke. No bankers or runz girls for me. big big no

50. ranti

May 13, 2013 at 11:30 pm

DOCTOR KE? HELL NO!

51. Beks212

May 14, 2013 at 12:14 pm

It don’t matter what profession u r in as long as u’re smart, rich nd got swag. Berra if u r a CEO like me…… Lol

52. Nshina

May 14, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Lwkmd o!
    @Bleed blue and @Bedazzled…you guys cracked me up real good.I have tears running down my eyes.

53. dami

May 14, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I once dated an oil guy…..ahhhhhh, send money like mad but when I say baby I need to see you na so story start. ..after 2 years he was talking about marriage. ..omo I run o, geologists are the best. ..lol

54. Eve

May 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

Mine would be a male OB/GYN. That one I just can not stomach. For some reason, I just can not wrap my head around it. My childhood friend once introduced me to a guy. When we started communicating, I found out that he was an OB/GYN…that was the end of the relationship for me. I slowly withdrew and tried to keep things platonic until I politely severed the relationship.

I do find doctors sexy! Coincidentally, I have been is relationships with a few. The act and look so prim and proper with the lab coat, but when it is off….u see the freaky side of them. It just makes me laugh. But I definitely draw a line with a male OB/GYN. That is just a NO NO for me 🙂