News

BN Exclusive: As the Actress Denies Breakup Rumours, We Take a Look Back at Nollywood Superstar Funke Akindele & Kehinde Almaroof Oloyede’s Love Story

On the early hours of Monday 15th July 2013, it was widely reported that Nollywood star Funke Akindele and her property developer husband Kehinde Almaroof Oloyede have separated after 1 year and 46 days of wedded bliss.

In the wake of the rumoured separation, here’s a look back at the love story of Funke and Kehinde.

She’s Engaged
In May 2012, BN informed you that the Jenifa star was engaged and ready to tie the knot. Although the identity of Kehinde wasn’t revealed at the time, the news was confirmed by her PR rep Big Sam Media.

Funke Akindele New Photos Jenifa - June 2011 - BellaNaija Exclusive 001

Meet the Oloyedes
To announce the union, the couple made a splash with a romantic photo shoot for their wedding souvenirs. Clad in matching white shirts and jeans, Funke and Kehinde proved to the world they were ready for till-death-do-us-part.

Family Introduction
The family introduction was held on Saturday 26th May 2012 at the groom’s parents house.

On the day, Funke was seen in a full muslim regalia with her beau. When asked by a fan on Twitter if she was no longer a Christian (Funke’s father is a Reverend and her mother is a member of MFM), she replied “I am still in Christ.”

Funke Akindele Introduction

The Wedding Day
I was at the ceremony in Lagos and as a known lover for weddings,  it was such a love-filled day. The traditional ceremony and white wedding took place on Saturday 26th May 2012 at the Haven Centre, GRA, Ikeja, Lagos.

It kicked off at 12 noon with the traditional ceremony. Funke was a damsel in her special aso-ebi, as she entered the Haven Centre hall.

After the trad, guests were ushered to the hall where the white wedding was to take place. Kehinde who looked sharp in a black dinner suit, waited for Funke as she made her way to the altar with her father in a white strapless dress by Mai Atafo Inpsired.

Guests at the event included Genevieve Nnaji, Desmond Elliot, Ini Edo, Omoni Oboli, Iya Rainbow, Ariyike Akinbobola and Denrele Edun. To read about all the wedding details, click HERE

First Major Red Carpet Appearance
Funke made her first major red appearance since the May 2012 union at Davido‘s Omo Baba Olowo Album Launch in Lagos on Sunday 22nd July 2012.

Kehinde wasn’t at the event but Funke was all smiles as she made her way into the Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Expecting a Baby?
To host the 2012 Nigeria Entertainment Awards in New York City, USA with comedian AY Makun, Funke opted for a Grecian-inspired one-shoulder embellished blush gown. Funke appeared to be sporting a baby bump in the dress.

Reports surfaced online that the star was expecting a baby, with some BellaNaija commenters confirming the rumour. Her publicist exclusively revealed to BN that she was not expecting the couple’s first child.

United with Kehinde
Although the very-private couple haven’t been seen publicly in a while, they were happy to share intimate moments at Funke’s 35th birthday in Lagos on Friday 24th August 2012.

While shooting a movie Oro Omo (For the love of a child) in Ikeja, she was about to rest at her hotel, her husband, Kehinde Almaroof Oloyede together with her siblings whisked her away to a “secret location” where her close friends and family were waiting to surprise her with a birthday party

Funke defends Marriage to Kehinde: “I am the only Woman, he got married to”

Funke Akindele Genevieve Magazine

In an interview with Genevieve Magazine, Funke set the record straight about being a second wife.
Read what she said;

“My husband has never been married, I am the woman he got married to. I was married properly. A lot of negative comments came from sadists who want to run their mouths. So because I am a Youth Ambassador or Celebrity, I can’t have my life?

It is my life. If I do things because people want me to, I will end up unhappy. I do what I do because I want to be happy. I would still continue to teach morals and campaign against HIV/AIDS and enlighten the youths. It doesn’t make me bad; that is even if it is, because I can tell you authoritatively that my husband is not married to anyone else.

Yes, he has beautiful children, who are not mine now and we have a cordial relationship, which dates back to even before we got married. So what if he has kids? Is that a disease? That is where my heart is! I had many non-biological children even before I got married. I take them as my own children, pay their bills and help them. I have always loved children. So now that God has given me these ones, what should I do?

Will people be happier if I had married someone who didn’t have children, seem so perfect, put on my make-up and fake smile on the red carpet and start weeping when I get home?

And about my in-laws, they are very wonderful and supportive and my parents and siblings as well”.

A tragedy?
In November 2012, soft-sell publication City People Magazine announced that Funke had a miscarriage. She was reportedly 4 months pregnant.

The Separation?
Just like everyone else, we were shocked to hear about the rumoured split between the couple on Monday morning. Kehinde reportedly announced on his Facebook page that “It’s with heavy heart , that I am announcing the separation of me and my wife Mrs Olufunke Akindele, we’ve both agreed to go our separate ways, because of irreconcilable differences. We are still best of friends and forever remain best of friends.”

Kehinde Oloyede

The post has since been taken down from the Facebook page and Kehinde has denied posting any details on the issue.

Where is Funke?
If you’ve been following all the fun photos on BellaNaija lately, you will notice that the star has since been filming movies. She is reportedly now in Warri, Delta.

Funke Akindele Osuofia (5)Funke Akindele, Aki & Pawapaw

Funke: “My Marriage is still Intact”
The Nation is reporting that the actress sent a text message clearly stating her marriage to Kehinde is still intact.

The message read – “I read in the newspaper yesterday that I am divorced. What proof do you have? And I am taking this to court because my marriage is intact. You guys are rumour mongers. Funke Akindele Oloyede.”

BN has reached out to Funke’s team and her publicist is yet to be reached for an official statement. We wish Funke all the best!

1. Eugenia

July 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hmmmmm!

2. NAIJA 4 LIFE

July 19, 2013 at 10:37 am

NA WA O, WONDER HOW PEOPLE JUST MANAGE TO DO IT… SPREAD FALSE STORIES

3. Funmi

July 19, 2013 at 10:39 am

Plenty talk, talk little truth or no truth, i dint know what to hold on to as the real gist. The whole story is so confusing. I vote to let her be ooo, bikonu.

4. Dora the explorer

July 19, 2013 at 10:41 am

The life of a celebrity ni.. no privacy!! keep keeping your head up darling!

5. d baby

July 19, 2013 at 10:47 am

season 2 reloaded ,behind every rumor there’s an element of truth

• chinwa

July 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

YES O! element of truth

• nene

July 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm

i agree oh. i always believe there’s a truth in every rumor, especially these celebrities. many times they’ve denied, and many times the reported story turned out to be true.

• jinkelele

July 19, 2013 at 5:00 pm

it was a facebook post thats the source abeg, fb is so easy to hack – its all untrue.

6. Kathy esan

July 19, 2013 at 10:48 am

But Notwitstanding,in every rumour there is an iota of truth in it,At least no smoke without fire

7. Vicky

July 19, 2013 at 10:50 am

Ahhhh! So it’s not true.

8. Hurperyermie

July 19, 2013 at 10:51 am

hmmmm it is well

9. Product of public Education

July 19, 2013 at 10:53 am

Scripts unfolding…..oga o.

10. pynk

July 19, 2013 at 11:03 am

SHe shouldnt have come back with a retort. Its her life, she should live it as she deems fit.

11. Ani

July 19, 2013 at 11:18 am

I love this hard working gal. Whether or not its true, Funke just know you are loved by a lot of people. I pray you listen to God for HIM to direct you. God bless you dear.

• Funmi

July 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Good word.
      I think Kehinde should be in position to explain the true story because people don’t just carry rumor it was due to his post…so we need him to come out and deny the post and let us know if his facebook account was compromised at the time…whatever the case I wish then well

12. Olori

July 19, 2013 at 11:39 am

BN! Your classiness just trips me. I can definitely see many other websites using this period to totally trample on any sense of self-esteem that Funke has left. Some people really need to take a cue. Thumbs up people.

• zeee

July 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Same thing I thought. Too classy

13. Grace

July 19, 2013 at 11:44 am

BBP(bad belle people)kindly ignore them joor(Haterz)

14. HoneyFromGH

July 19, 2013 at 12:02 pm

But wait a minute tho,she’s taking this to court??lmaaooo everybody here is talking about people gossiping this gossiping that,but the whole proof lies in her husband’s facebook rant,now if his account was hacked,its a different story,even that,she has no one to blame but track down those who hacked his account which im sure facebook don’t even have time for !!! People need to know,especially these celebs that,this is social media….whatever u put out there on the internet stays there forever,u can delete it how much u want but so long as someone gets hold of it,thats it!!! she should deny it like she’s doing or let it go and stop talking about she’s taking it to court cos that shyt aint holding no grounds(as in it wont go nowhere near any court),besides who does she have a case with…..#truth but still love her tho,she’s too much.

15. madman

July 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Did someone hack Oloyedes account? Or is this a pr stunt.

16. HoneyFromGH

July 19, 2013 at 12:07 pm

She should have just said my husband’s facebook account was hacked and trust me,things woulda been easy and this situation will quietly and slowly go away,instead of adding salt to fire(is that how the quote goes???lol) with the whole court thing,cos now,people are gona be on her case.

• Sue

July 19, 2013 at 2:38 pm

she cant say that my dear, the hubby should come out and say it, he started it and must finish it, d journalists who published it did not fabricate it, they gave him the story… Have u stopped to wonder why he has not refuted it or why she (and family &friends) has not been able to make him deny it?

17. chinwa

July 19, 2013 at 12:17 pm

omo seee class na! i love bellanaija o! respect! i doff my hat in short; see as dem carry d story wt such sophistication weda na true o abi na lie kuma. kudos to bella o!

18. Tariro

July 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Now this is how Journalism is done…Weldone Bella Naija.. Every other blog needs to learn from this !

19. Jummai

July 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Funke whats up with the threat now, who you wan sue? I think u shld first sue your husband who wrote on Face book that ur marriage with him is over. Mtshewww!

20. linda

July 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

pls let her be. true or false we still love her.

21. Fokasibe

July 19, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hahahaha Funke is doing a K-Solo on us. Next thing you know, her hubby will say his Facebook account was hacked. Message to Funke: we ALL make mistakes! It’s best to move on with your head held high than to live in denial. You are only trying to save face but trust me, no one’s fooled! You made a mistake from the get go but what time is better to dust yourself up and restart? Be wise gal!

22. zeee

July 19, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Journalism at its best. Thumbs up BN!

23. true or false

July 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm

AWWWWW cant these celebrities be happily married for once.? if its true, then its a sorry case. hmmm some men are crazy. !!!

24. true or false

July 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

She brought him to full limelight and look what he paid her with./// – hoe -__-

25. Miss T

July 19, 2013 at 8:55 pm

You’ll be surprised to know how many kehinde oloyede exixt on FB
    Could be jobless people playing pranks

26. NNENNE

July 20, 2013 at 12:01 am

May God grant you the wishes of your heart.Hope things work out for you. It’s really not our business.

27. comment awaiting moderation!

July 20, 2013 at 8:20 am

Hmmmmm,wetin concern me…make network improve for this Obodo naija