News

Get the Funk Out of Your Dreadlocks! Check out these Quick Tips on How to Wash your Locs

How to Wash Dreadlocks - BellaNaija - July2013Last week I ran into an old school friend of mine who, for as long as I can remember, has had rough dreadlocks. Even back then in school he used to get punished constantly for not keeping his hair neat. And I didn’t blame school authorities, his hair was always a hot mess. So now, as I was talking to him, all I was really doing was trying not to stare at his hair. I really wanted to find out if it had changed from its former dirty state.

It turned out he had realized that just because you have dreadlocks doesn’t mean you should not pay attention to it. A lot of people, I have come to realize, think that having dreadlocks is an excuse for letting your hair run a-mock. But the reality is, the more hair you have, the more your responsibility to it.

When it comes to keeping and maintaining dreadlocks, there is a lot of work to be done. Maintenance requires a lot of products and this could cause build up in your hair. There are two things you need to note when it comes to maintaining dreadlocks.

The first is that just as much as you add products to your hair, you have to monitor the extent to which they are used. Secondly, as you add products to your hair, you have to take care of their after effect.

A lot of people always associate having dreadlocks with un-serious individuals or those who do not keep good hygiene. This is mostly due to the fact that some of those that have dreadlocks do not know how to take care of it. Here are a few important things you should know when it comes to washing dreadlocks and check out some cool dreadlock style inspiration.

Start Early
When your dreadlocks are at the early stage, it is important to begin and maintain a washing culture. You could decide to wash your locks every 3 or 4 days and maintain that schedule for a while so you hair adjusts to it. This would help your dreadlocks establish their individual patterns.

After a month or two, you can then begin to wash them every other day

Use Residue-Free shampoo
Always use residue free shampoo. This residue is sometimes left behind after washing your hair and could cause a bad build up on your locks or scalp. For dreadlocks, this problematic residue are those left behind by traditional soaps made from animal fats or vegetable sources like olive oil or coconut oils.

The residue build up could prevent the hair from locking properly which could make your dreads look poorly done or rough. It could also lead to dread rot which is the growth of mildew in the dread, leading to bad smell.How to Wash Dreadlocks - BellaNaija - July2013004

Pattern your shampoo to your dread growth
Dreadlocks go through different stages of maturity. Therefore it is important to pattern your shampoo to the current stage of your dreads. The type of shampoo your hair would require when it is at an early stage is different from when it has reached mid-length.How to Wash Dreadlocks - BellaNaija - July2013006

Make sure to get all the water out
After you have washed your dreadlocks, be sure to rinse them out properly. Dreadlocks consist of a lot of hair and you could become tired of continually rinsing them, but it is very important that you do so. Not rinsing your dreadlocks properly could lead to more build up on your scalp which could eventually lock more dirt and cause dread rot.How to Wash Dreadlocks - BellaNaija - July2013005

Instead, when you are done washing, continue pouring water on them until the rinsing water turns clean. After this squeeze the excess water out while in the shower or otherwise and place them in a lint free towel. When they have dried considerably, use a hand drier or standing hair drier to dry them of completely.

Moisturize & use Dread wax to hold in place
After washing, the dreadlocks may loosen as a result of the method of washing. To remedy this, after you have washed the locks and they are now dry, apply some dread wax in a twisting motion. This takes the loose strands of hair and locks them back in place. After you have waxed your hair, then use a dread cap to hold the dreadlocks in place while they wax.How to Wash Dreadlocks - BellaNaija - July2013007

There are a lot of tips and tricks to keep your locks and your scalp healthy like using rose water, baking soda, vinegar etc. Watch this HowCast video on how you can get your dreadlocks clean and healthy.

Dont forget to share any tip you may have on washing dreadlocks with us.

Photo Credit: Blacknaps.com | Ariyatoday | Mimimagazine | Lanredahunsi | Africanaturalistas |

1. Sim

July 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Yayyyyy! BN finally did something on dreads, so excited :D:D:D.
    I’ve been locked for 18months and counting and absolutely loving it! It’s pretty tough in the beginning, especially since most “locticians” in Lagos use trial and error and actually know nothing. The guy that started my dreads actually used bonding glue! yes bonding glue, took me about 6 months to get them all out, very messily (sic) I must add, and suffice to say I’ve not been back there since I started them.
    I usually wash weekly, except I have like 2 or 3 hot sweaty days in a row. I also do this cleansing mix with baking soda + salt (good for baby locs) + essential oils (teatree -very important, lavender, rosemary —thank god for Vanity Oils and The kinky apothecary and all the other guys…), leave on for about 30 mins and then rinse off with an ACV mix.
    I also use giovanni’s 50:50 shampoo, traditionally a nappy hair shampoo, but it works. Note : No conditioner!
    It’s not very practical to lock yourself, it’s a lot of work. I have tried a lot of dreadlock guys, (a lot!), but so far, the one person I can say has been the most…. erm “okay”, has been South-south at Bobbys in Ikeja, he relocks for like 6/7k but it’s usually worth it, no spritz, hard rubbing or anything, he uses interlocking method and there’s this girl at l’espace that also tried with my hair, name’s Gloria, she does palm rolling, but palm rolling doesn’t last as well as interlocking IMO, costs 4 – 5k.
    I know one is supposed to tie a silk scarf and all to bed, but I usually forget and doze off, the few times I do it though, I’m able to stay longer between relocking.
    I also recently heard of someone supplying Knotty boy products in Lagos, I will share exact details when I get them, if anyone is interested.
    Hope this helps.

• Jackie

August 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hi dear, thanks for the useful info, my hair is still at baby stage and growing it out naturally first cos i tried the artificial dreads which lasted 6months cos i dint want to cut my hair at first. I’m gonna try out the stylist you mentioned at bobby. Cheers

• umu sulaym

May 5, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Am interested.but pls can you recommend a very professional and talented hair stylist to lock my hair.am thinking of locking my hair but really scared of allowing a quack to touch my hair.I would love to hear from you

• McAdeniyi Michael

October 9, 2015 at 8:13 am

Thanks Sim, I got my natural look on for years now, it’s all good at first but recently, it’s hard, dry(thirsty) and kinda loosed… I need an add of a good loctician….. Help please.

• Sandra

April 16, 2020 at 7:53 am

Please am interested for the knotty boy producs

2. Toyin Oshinowo

July 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Can I just say that it is obvious that whoever wrote this article does not have Locs. (Dreadlocks is actually a derogatory term that should be used to the barest minimum) I would advise if you are going to write about something then do your research thoroughly.

First, the video that you got from YouTube is widely inaccurate!!! You should have looked at the comments, and the number of views to see that this video made no sense! In addition, did the woman in the video have locs?? I think not.

Yes, like anyone else you should wash your hair………. but once every 3-4 DAYS?! Do you wash your relaxed hair that often? Besides for those with starter locs, they should not wash their hair more frequently than once a month or else the hair will not loc.

“After washing, the dreadlocks may loosen as a result of the method of washing. To remedy this, after you have washed the locks and they are now dry, apply some dread wax in a twisting motion. This takes the loose strands of hair and locks them back in place. After you have waxed your hair, then use a dread cap to hold the dreadlocks in place while they wax.”

What the heck is DREAD WAX? If the author knew any better, she would know that people use beeswax to loc their hair. Using beeswax however is not the prefered choice because it can trap dirt and flint into the loc making it look grey. Another point to make is that twisting is not the only method used to loc hair. There is interlocking which is usually adopted by individuals that have soft less coily texture to their hair.

Another issue I have is that people who loc their hair NEVER dry their hair before twisting their hair in place.

Dread Cap? Really? Do you even know what dread caps are? How many people in corporate positions are you recommending to wear dread caps to work because they want to maintain their hair??

“Pattern your shampoo to your dread growth
    Dreadlocks go through different stages of maturity. Therefore it is important to pattern your shampoo to the current stage of your dreads. The type of shampoo your hair would require when it is at an early stage is different from when it has reached mid-length.”

What the heck are you going on about? The type of shampoo used on locs is not dependent on the maturity of the locs!!! The frequency on how you shampoo can be dictated by personal preference and also by the maturity of the locs.

The list goes on and on………

My final point is this. It looks like the Author has taken information from those individuals that grow free-form locs. This is not representative of the images of the celebrities with locs that you have plastered on this post. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU WRITE ARTICLES!!!

• Nomy1

July 19, 2013 at 5:44 pm

BN collects articles from people o! I think you should have written your views on dreadlocks way before now and handed it in. That way you won’t go to all the trouble of writing corrections! Easy on the heavy criticism abeg! As you no tell us before now, no kill person wey 1st talk!

• deep

July 20, 2013 at 9:11 am

Responses such as your make me wonder for the future of Nigeria. So watery, so ignorant and laced with petty sentiment. Why is Toyin supposed to calm down? Jennifer’s article is poorly researched and highly misinforming. It deserves to be heavily edited, if not taken down altogether.

• Confuzzled

July 20, 2013 at 11:24 am

@Deep please help me tell her o!!

Toyin hit the nail on the head with her comment and applaud her for it. The author gave outdated information in her article, and was called out on it. That’s the way it should be.

We’re in the 21st century, information on proper care and maintenance of locks is free and easy to find on the internet, there’s no excuse for this poorly researched article.

• Sim

July 19, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Hi Toyin, First, I think you should put the Pankere down :D. When I saw the title too, first thing I thought was, “Is Jennifers hair loced”? I see you’ve been doing this wayyyy longer than me, but a couple of things I think I should mention:
      1. I don’t care what they are called, “dreadlocks” “locs”, kinibigdeal? My hair’s my hair, no matter what it’s called. It’s not derogatory to me, might be to Jamaicans/African Americans, but frankly, don’t matter to me. It’s not spiritual to me, it’s just a hairstyle #datsall. That being said, I get @runnergirls point about dreadlock being rastafarian and all.
      2. Yea, I agree with you, the video is pretty much useless
      3. Starter locs can actually be washed every 2 weeks
      4. There is something called DREAD WAX you know, at least Knotty boy’s got dread wax. Not sure I would recommend it, just saying it exists
      5. I usually lock my hair while wet, but if you’ve got a lot of growth and will be using wax, it’s advisable you do it dry, so there won’t be trapped moisture causing mildew and all that. Sure that’s what she means.
      6. I have no idea what a dread cap is
      7. Patterning shampoo to dreads growth rate? Don’t have enough info about that to say a lot, but sounds like a load of bollocks.
      Bottomline: I think they did their research based on the limits of their own knowledge, BN, next time I would advise you get someone with locs to actually do an article on their experience in NIGERIA or at least get an interview with one of these celebs as to their hair regimen, I have always wanted to know how Dakore maintained her dreads.

• Anon

July 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Calm down dear! It’s only a commercial.

• Tunmi

July 20, 2013 at 2:49 am

the criticism is necessary and well done. Next time BN will be sure to get it right.

• Drpeperempe

July 20, 2013 at 3:51 am

I thought I was the only one wondering what the article was on about. I’ve had my locks (nothing dreadful about them) for 4.5years and its mid back length and I don’t remember maintainace being so hectic! I have freeformed for about 1 yr during that time and only just started styling often. Locks are not that tedious o.

• iba

July 30, 2014 at 12:33 am

There are farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better ways to speak and address issues. You are plain rude.

• muntasir

February 3, 2015 at 4:25 am

Thank you! I feel that the word “dread” should never NEVER be used. You’re the closest to the truth I’ve read so far. JAH bless

• Sharon

May 29, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I agree. This article was way off. She is going to have folks messed up if they follow her advice. ALSO if the writer doesn’t have locs how can she write about locs? I feel like I can not speak on a topic in full if I have not had any experience in it. But that’s just me. I’m getting my starter locs done tomorrow!! Let the journey begin.

3. Runner Girl

July 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I’m pleaseantly surprised to see a Nigerian blog advocating locs. These are all great tips even un-loced natural hair
    – The style you have featured are manicured locs or just plain locs
    – dreadlocks usually refer to the Rastafarian hairstyle which involves no manipulation or styling of the hair – letting it grow and loc unfettered
    – When you say dread wax, what do you mean? Beeswax which is typically suggested for locs is actually bad for the hair since it tends to trap lint and dirt. There are other locing creams and gels available which are lighter and still hold the hair in place.

4. jinkelele

July 19, 2013 at 5:30 pm

bookmarked, these tips are great. @sim thanks for ur info, plant to start dreads in about 5yrs time when i hit another age milestone

5. Idak

July 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

There is nothing dreadful about locks.

6. Chic

July 19, 2013 at 5:59 pm

You can also dilute your shampoo with water in a spray bottle to make it easier to spread it on your hair. I do this when I have braids and it works like a charm

7. Bunmi

July 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Dread wax, dread cap, 50-50 shampoo…… endless list! i’ll just keep my kinky hair kinky! that’s all…

8. Amira

July 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’m in support of anyone promoting natural hairstyles that match our features more as opposed to the Peruvian or Malaysian hair been promoted on a nigerian blog.

• Chigbo

July 23, 2013 at 7:40 am

The only locks I ever liked we’re Dakores

9. Sandra

July 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm

When it comes to locs I look up to ‘Chesalocs’ on YouTube. She does an amazing job and has had her locs for almost 10yrs. I personally think she has a lot more experience than the other folks I have watched on YouTube.

10. FRIED RICE

July 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm

i cant stand dreads on woman! its soo unattractive! but to each is own oo! i always think they are shango or ifa worshipers. lol

• Angela Newton

March 25, 2015 at 3:04 pm

You are an idiot!! What is wrong with dreads on women. I think its a beautiful thing, shows individuality and it shows you are not afraid to be who God made you, you don’t have to wear the weaves or the wigs or the relaxers.

11. nikki

July 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Thanks for the article. I would love to feature some women with dreads who are over 40 on my blog. It’s all done by email. If you know a woman over 40 with beautiful dreads please have her contact me at [email protected] . Thank you!

12. Eve82

July 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm

This article is not for me 🙂

13. habakai

July 20, 2013 at 12:53 am

see eh, when i had dreadlocks i called them dreads, locs, dreadlocks, even dada sef, all na de same. i am aware of all that talk about it being dreadful and what not…..biko na “dreads” dem be. if you want to call it something else more power to you.

that being said, if this is the quality of advice they are giving on dreads on bellanaija, me sef i suppose contribute sha. because i sabi pass the author o.

first of all if you want to starts dreads, you need nothing fancy. all you need is PATIENCE o. you can start it with comb coils or two strands twists or normal calabar. i started mine with two strand twists-the only products i used were water and grapeseed oil, dasall- and i washed them the week after i started them with little to no unraveling. most naija locticians shoud be shot on the spot, too expensive and the amount of rubbish they put in people’s hair eh, chai!

you can wash them as much as you think is best for you and there are different types, so no worry. you will find the one that fits your needs. whether you want freeform, all you do to that one is wash your hair and don’t comb or condition it, your hair will surley form dada but it won’t be uniform. or if na semi free form you want, you start with comb coils or two strand twist or calabar and maintain the parts you make. or if na proper cultivated dreads you want, you fit twist dem or you fit latch dem. anyone wey sweet you.

as for products, beeswax na ekwensu. heavy butters are a no no, shea butter will build up after a time, same with cocoa butter. aloe vera gel, water and grapeseed oil (any oil with minimal smell will do )work well well for me. but sha me my hand is tight when it comes spending money on hair. so there are plenty plenty product lines that cater to locs, dada, dreads…whatever you want to call them. so do your research and find what works for you.

google na your friend when it comes to dreadlocks, don’t let locticians hold you to ransom o.

goodluck.

14. Idak

July 20, 2013 at 5:56 am

Different strokes for different folks!!
    A woman in locks can do almost no wrong in my eyes.

15. milly

July 20, 2013 at 5:59 am

I just locked my permed hair with undergrowth in the US and I was advised not to it ,as it will undo the locks,I can only clean my scalp and with cotton wool and methylated spirit every week while I add the essential natural products and go in to relock every 3 months with lock twister.
    I believe it depends on your hair texture,as you cannot wash locked permed every week, it will loosen and most ladies here carry lovely dreads and look natural , not Nigerian ladies that will do anything to resemble Caucasian ladies and really if weave does it for you fine, but for me I locking all the way.

16. Toyin Oshinowo

July 22, 2013 at 12:26 am

Thank you @deep and @Confuzzled.

To @Nomy1 its that kind of complacency that frustrates individuals that see value in good quality. For the record I do write about my hair experience and share my experiences on and offline. Writing for BN is not a priority for me, however if BN intend to post information they should take the time to do the proper research. As a well read blog has a responsibility to make sure that the information it puts out is up to date and accurate.

For those that don’t mind the term ‘Dreadlocks’. The term dreadlocks originated with the Jamaicans. It was a derogatory term used to describe an early sect if the Rastafari who were amongst the marginalised poor of Jamaica. So for many people, it is the equivalent of black people using the word n*gger on themselves and on those that choose the hairstyle as a fashion choice……… food for thought huh?

17. Crystalwhite

July 22, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I have been on locks for the past 3 years and it has been such a beautiful experience,my locks makes me stand out from the crowd cos i look so unique, so diffrent. I found out it,s cheap when you get a good loctician,out here in Calabar we have lots of girls with locs cos we have good ones out here.Good for me i don;t get to spend time in front of the mirror combing or brushing a weave and locks can be actually twisted so i get to rock my hair in diffrent styles.
    Funny enough they are really cheap to maintain,i carry my hair two or three months at a stretch without having sleepless nights on what to do to the hair.
    And the only thing that has been applied to my locks for the past three years apart from the lock cream is just honey,split get and lottabody,no other chemicals. I pray the Mr Right will love it cos i intend to rock it as my wedding hair

• Chigbo

July 23, 2013 at 7:39 am

Can we see pics? I might consider going natural then…..

18. Madam Butterfly

July 25, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Woa! Well, am over 40 and closer to 50! Have had locs for nearly 10 years. My two cents contribution to this is rather simple, BN should have got the basic research done properly. It was a rather jumbled article that could have been written better, but nothing you cannot solve with “google”.

19. mimi

November 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Am in need of a hairstylist(dreadlocks) i wana use ma dreadlocks for ma wedding next year i need sum one who can style it properly for me.. Its like 7years old….ma location is ph

20. debbie

January 22, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Im a dreadlock specialist trained in london uk Ive been in dis Biz for over a decade now just relocated bck to nigeria ,Bella nija Pls do ur research well dis article about dreadlock is knothing to write home about,Pls get a professional for all ur writeup Its very important so u dont mislead innocent people reading your article.

21. ada

February 9, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Debbie can I pls have your contact cos am looking for a good loctician

22. Dreadillocks

March 19, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Never going back to a “loctician” in naija. Some guy put a huge amount of “let’s dread in my hair. I retwist my hair wet and clip it in place… Works for me. I also use rosemary oil(homemade), coconut oil and olive oil for my hot oil treatment. Please. DO NOT let anyone use Shea butter to retwist your hair, trust me the buildup is NASTY. And use aloe vera for conditioning. I’ve been locked for 8 months and that’s the best advice I can give. Also use residue free shampoo. The article BN posted is a whole lot of BS. Big ups to Toyin for calling the writer out.

23. Ade

May 7, 2014 at 10:00 pm

All has been said by Toyin. Poorly researched article. I’ve been loc’ed for 4 and a half years now and recently started blogging about my hair and thoughts on locs. locitude.blogspot.com

24. Nyas

August 12, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Totally agree. i have had locs for 7 years now and this article has quite inaccurate

25. Nyas

August 12, 2014 at 1:00 pm

oops..i meant to say, totally agree with some of the comments above. The article has quite a number of inaccurate statements

26. Mary

August 25, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Great tips. Thanks for sharing them. Keep it up! 🙂

27. MoreLove

September 6, 2014 at 7:03 pm

A lot of info being posted on Dreadlock care sites is being taken from websites devoted to European hair types locking advice. Knotty Boy and all those various products are created for European/straight hair types, where locking methods such as backcombing and “Twist and rip !?” in order to form locs, are advocated as well as coating them in waxes and products to help hold it all together. And the concern with residue free shampoos is an issue as any conditioner in straigth hair obviosully makes it harder to locks
    These products and methods do not apply to Afro/kinky hair which locs very naturally. Straight hair does lock if left naturally (mine does) but takes a lot longer and will not be “uniform” as many desire. I wear locs as Rastafari so it is not for vanity, my hair is very clean and washed regularly and is naturally beautiful.

Africans have been wearing locks since creation without the needs for endless “maintenance” and “Loctitians” and products.

The myths being put out here on the internet about the complexity of locking Afro hair and time involved in caring for it puts so many ones off from wearing their hair naturally.
    Just leave it and allow it to locs. Putting so much stress on the hair is just crazy when it is supposed to be a natural thing. Wash, condition, a little oil if necessary and you done. Beautiful.
    Loctitians are making a fortune off people.

The bigger the locs the more beautiful. Hooray for sisters like Valerie June etc.

28. Ruth Atieno Amollo

January 28, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Through the comments havehave learnt how to cleanse my locks

29. muntasir

February 3, 2015 at 4:26 am

Thank you. You’re the closest to the truth so far. Never NEVER say “Dread”. JAH Bless.

30. gallocks

March 20, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Just passing by.Simply put ,it is not possible to wash any hair every 3 days except for low cuts that we can wash daily,I am a proud naturalista,been wearing my locks for over 5years now and as i type they are already touching my bum.I sell dreadlock products and the only representative of Knottboy product in this region.For me i am ok with dreadlock wax for relocking and its working for me.What is suitable for you may not be suitable for me but i agree totally that research must be properly done before a write up.We are proudly natural,we rock,we stand out,we are bold,we just love nature.*wink*

• McAdeniyi Michael

October 9, 2015 at 8:15 am

Help gallocks… Really I need help with my love, really… How can I reach you…. My fb is McAdeniyi Adedoyin Michael… Reach me ASAP please. Thanks KS.

31. sarahrhoda

April 18, 2015 at 8:49 am

ive been wearing long artificial locs for 4 mths now and i hv washed it twice becos i spray it whenever im styling with glycerine + water spray. hope to keep it for 2 more mths. it very comfi and easy to style.

32. Mahogany

December 3, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Reading these comments just got me more confused. I’m two yrs natural and wanna start free form locks in January. And ya’Ll are confusing me making it look like it is more difficult than it actually is. I just want to be as earthy and natural as possible. Embrace the superior full African hair Jah gave us and quite frankly bother so much less about my hair. But ya’Ll be dicouraging with your wen to and wen not to wash, different kind of was. Hian. No b just wash ever other day and put coconut oil to retain shine and moisture (so it wouldn’t be hard a dull)????

33. Patricia

December 26, 2015 at 12:34 am

I don’t agree with your article. I’ve had locs for 9 years. You have to watch what products you use and definitely not wash them that often. People be careful who you listen to!!!!!!

34. Suziq

May 16, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Hi there. Lots of advice some good some not so but it’s very much a personal thing. Washing to soon after Locing can cause it to unravel but if you sweat alot in head you might have to wash more often. It’s the natural way to be so relax and enjoy the transformation.

35. Kat

June 16, 2017 at 3:05 pm

I have had locs for nearly 10 years and I agree with most of your advice except the wax. NEVER USE WAX!

But you can wash a lot, even early. I washed my hair at least twice weekly in the beginning because I went to the gym a lot. And it was summer. It took 3 months for my hair to be completely locked. The trick was I started my locs with 2 strand twists so they wouldn’t come out. And my hair was 5-6 inches long before I started.

Wash your hair. At least twice monthly. And wash throughly! But don’t comb it.