News

How I Fell Out of Love With Nigeria

I believe in dreams in that I see them as a way of motivating myself to go the extra mile in order to bring them to fruition. They help steer one away from stagnancy. I have had many dreams, some of which have come true and others which I’m still working to bring to life. One of my dreams was to be the President of Nigeria. I am generally a passionate person on so many things (Nigeria, Kanye West, the Media and Arsenal being the most prominent).

This ambition was borne out of a desire and passion to oversee change that would take Nigeria closer to the standard our forefathers advocated. I didn’t want to get into government and rob the treasury as one of the dreams I have been empowered with by Mr. Idowu is that a good name is the greatest thing a man can have. I wanted my likeness to be on a Naira bill long after I have died, with my grandchildren beaming with joy and pride as they discussed me and the positive policies I had brought about in their Social Studies and History classes.

In 2011 during the last Presidential elections, I wrote a long essay with the mindset that I was running for that election and detailing how I would go about addressing what I saw as the main issues. I used to talk about this a lot. I like to think of myself as a political nerd who would have channeled attributes from people I look up to like Bill Clinton, John F Kennedy Jr, Nelson Mandela and Barack Obama in taking Nigeria forward.

I don’t want to be President again. I’m not even sure if I want to live in Nigeria anytime soon. This has been the subject of a number of conversations I have had with people over the last 12 months. Nigeria keeps letting me down. It’s like the girlfriend who cheats on you and belittles you in public, comes to her senses promising to change and professing her love for you, whom you then take back only to find yourself back at square one in no time.  Nigeria constantly disappoints me.

Like many others, I observed ashamedly the happenings at the Rivers State House of Assembly. It’s nothing new, it’s not like we haven’t seen this already and that is disheartening. It’s just another episode to add to the YouTube catalogue of ‘Nigerian Politicians Fighting’. That episode encapsulates why I have fallen out of love with the Nigerian state. The government has constantly failed us and I don’t see that ending anytime soon. We have problems conducting credible elections so we are constantly governed by lawmakers who seem to see being lawbreakers as some part of the job description. As a result of the long years of poor governance and accountability, we find ourselves in a situation where we tend to reward mediocrity for the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind. We hail forward thinking governors like Babatunde Fashola for doing what is nothing that would be particularly special in a sensible society. He’s fulfilling the basic expectation of one is bound to expect from any self-respecting politician fully cognizant of his position as a representative of the people.

My country has a terrible fertility rate for breeding ideologues and visionaries. And even the few it does, it constantly finds ways of discrediting. Dora Akunyili starred as Director General of the National Agency for Food and Drug and Control waging wars against counterfeit drugs and unsafe food. When President Yar’Adua found his way to Aso Rock, he appointed her as his Minister of Information and Communications as opposed to the Health portfolio that would have surely been better suited to her qualifications. Talk about square pegs in round holes.

Over the years, I have started to question the plausibility of my ambitions and my mindset has changed. I don’t want to be part of an institution that rewards criminals like Asari Dokubo (According to the Wall Street Journal, he is paid $9million a year by the government).  I don’t want to be part of an institution that rewards criminals like Asari Dokubo (According to the Wall Street Journal, he is paid $9million a year by the government). I want no part of a state that sees the presidential pardon mechanism as a way of appeasing political godfathers. This nation who deprived my beloved cousins of their grandparents has not proven itself worthy. The shame is that by discouraging those with the right mindset, the spiral of under development does not look like ending anytime soon.

My name is Oluwamayowa Idowu and I hereby register my displeasure with the profile the Nigerian government is creating for the Nigerian. No state  should have the right to kill its citizens’ dreams to make the country better. Indeed it is unforgivable.

Photo Credit: roberthouston.org
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oluwamayowa Idowu is an essayist. The rest of his work can be found at http://mayowaidowu.com. You can also follow him on Twitter: @MayowaIdowu

1. jinkelele

July 15, 2013 at 10:27 am

Hmmm..lets not even go to the judiciary system. They say dont be an ostrich but when you’re not one they drive you to start digging that hole faster than before

2. Soraya

July 15, 2013 at 10:35 am

Well said, my friend. Nigeria is a disheartening country and unless 1) you have connections overseas or 2) are willing to set up a revolutionary party and recruit like minded individuals into it, you have no option than to put up with the disappointment that is Nigeria. The truth is that Nigerians are not really ready for a revolution otherwise we would have executed all these corrupt sycophants long ago!

• ms lala

July 15, 2013 at 10:44 am

GBAMEST!!!!!!!!!! and they will never be…just look at the Fuel subsidy riot and protest….when down in flames by day 2…Nigerians turned in to a social network ..check out babes looking for boyfriends at protest and bobos handing out business cards…lekki had chicks sleeping on the roads with bed and taking pics …like the whole fiasco was a joke…by day 3 everyone began to complain about not working and loosing salary and the whole protest should end…pathetic loosers…am soo vexed..look how Egypt shutdown their goverment 3.4 million people stood up to a dictator and stood up again a year and a half later.

• Lana

July 15, 2013 at 1:31 pm

BN, Pls where is that like button?????

• nene

July 15, 2013 at 3:03 pm

u have spoken. the egypt protest was MASSIVE. people littered the streets like ants. i still love nigeria, but each day i feel like my dreams for nigeria might never come to pass as everything keps drifting and getting worse. one day, one day…

3. ms lala

July 15, 2013 at 10:41 am

Bravo my friend…makes me shed tears…I broke up with Nigeria like a bad cheating lying boyfriend who keeps giving me fake promises. seriously as i got older i became more embarrassed to defend Nigeria in Public, Universities, and even just going out to events. I try to remind people the good Nigeria has but the rebuttals are so harsh true and blunt i end up looking stupid when defending my country…Now i keep quiet and when people ask me “beautiful name, where are you from” i simply walk away.

4. Mz Socially Awkward...

July 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

I love Nigeria from afar… it’s the easiest way to preserve my dreams for myself (& if God wills it, for my children) and manage my relationship with my country.

• ij

July 15, 2013 at 1:35 pm

not only to preserve your dreams and that of your children but to preserve your sanity and maintain a normal blood pressure reading.

5. Lola

July 15, 2013 at 11:38 am

In reference to the Rivers State House of Assembly drama, I’d just like to make it clear that actually the Rivers State Governor as an individual has not failed is people in ANY way and I’m sure the majority of rivers citizens can testify to that. The real root of the problem is that Amaechis excellence and progress as a governor was proving a threat to the presidency, most evidently in his election as the Chairman of the National Governors Forum and the conflict in rivers state has come as a subsequent result of that. You refer to Fashola but equally Amaechi has proved to be a good governor in that he has done all and more than what was expected of him and his reward being? You can’t just look at the conflict in rivers and assume that it is as a result of bad ‘governance’ because it is actually a result of GOOD governance.

• i no send

July 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

i agree with lola

• ano

July 15, 2013 at 1:49 pm

lie….Amechi has failed his people, he rebuilt public schools n locked them up…virtually all the bridges his govt built has collapse, the rest have bin closed for fear of collapse…..abeg confirm b4 u yearn

• Miss Phoebz

July 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Please were you born in PH? Do you live in PH? Can you compare the then PH to the now PH? How many years has he been in power? What has he done compared to the huge amt of resources he is sitting on? I disagree with you big time!!!! Rivers State Govt/Govr has NOT done anything!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Like, Like, LIKE!!!! Anyone who grew up in PH will weep at the state of that city right now. The rest of Rivers State remains abjectly undeveloped. Visited last christmas and from the moment my eyes fell upon the terminal of the so-called International Airport, waves of depression came crashing down. I believe his rash of good deeds ended after his second term got confirmed and thereafter, ole boy just started fixing his eyes on the juicer positions lying in wait in Abuja.

How can a state which probably produces as much oil as one of the UAE countries, be lacking so much necessary development? Amaechi is just as bad as his predecessor, Odili.

6. Dunni

July 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

You are so spot on…weldone

7. Oluwamayowa Idowu

July 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I actually like Amaechi and at no point am I critical of him. You’re the one who assumes I think he’s a bad governor. I actually made a conscious effort not to profer any views on the political scene in Rivers (the whole Jonathan vs Amaechi thing). When I speak of bad governance, I’m speaking of Nigeria generally.

8. hayzey

July 15, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I love this article. We need to stop holding on to the delusional brand of blind patriotism that is common here.

• Teris

July 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

and if not blind patriotism to motherland – or fatherland then to whom? well, that’s al-right. kindly turn in your citizenship at the door…

9. jay

July 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

the truth be told i love Nigeria and i cant just abandone my country co of what our fore fathers did in the past im an advocate for my country and im not giving up on it its a shame that our fathers are just greedy but one thing i know for sure is im not gonna bring my children into a nation and make the suffer cos i dont want them to say their for fathers failed them so i not giving up on my nation i know we ll surely get there

10. Abbiba Princewill

July 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I tend not to comment on articles I read online but I have to clear the blatant ignorance of the writer. How dare you call Asari Dokubo a criminal. Someone who has been fighting for the Ijaw cause for over 30 years. A region that produces all of Nigeria’s wealthy yet the standard of living of the average Ijaw person is disgraceful coupled with the environmental degradation issues being suffered by the ordinary masses of Niger Deltans who are largely fishermen. don’t get on my nerves today. If he takes 9million dollars a year so what? What about a particular woman that owns an oil well that gives her hundreds of millions of dollars does she know where that community that she owns the oil is or how they survive please let me hear something. When obj was in power u did not complain now that an iJaw man is in power we will not hear word again .wetin spoil for 51 years na 8years go repair am

• Chick on fire

July 15, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Mr prince will your last statement sums up your entire reason for posting according to you ” for the first time” you said * wetin spoil for 51 years na 8 yrs go repair am*? You only came in this thread to praise and change the views n your “fellow” I jaw man. How pathetic! You are obviously a myopic mind to think over 160million humans mostly care about the locality of a president! This is why this Nation has not moved forward. When people who probably have access to power have no serious plan or strategy but hide behind polical enemies and time as an excuse for their failures! Isn’t lagos state 51yrs also? Why do people feel its governor (even though he’s not Oustanding in my own opinion, just stands out as we have more lukewarm thieves as leaders and he’s doing more than them)?
      I think in summary,Nigerians are to blame! Bloggers, journalists and our hungry celebrities. All those than praise sing these thieves and flock to their table for crumbs and those that celebrate them! You need your future and that of your children in crumbs instead of fighting to have an opportunity to make a meal of your future in respectability and rightful opportunity .

• Oluwamayowa Idowu

July 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Laughs! Over 30 years? You must be a joker. Dokubo is 49, he was definitely not fighting for any cause at 19.
      Does that justify killing innocent people? Threatening national security cos you don’t get your way?
      If you can’t see anything wrong in someone collecting 9 million dollars every year for money he didn’t work for, you’re evidently part of the problem. Is that money going towards improving the standard of living of the Ijaw people?

I won’t even get into your tribalist nonsense. Go on Linda Ikeji, if you want to talk like an idiot.

• Abbiba Princewill

July 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Your statement ‘if you want to talk like an idiot’ exposes your level of intellect. The reason you write articles is for people to have an opinion on the piece. every one must not agree with you. you win arguments with the power and strength of your ideas and not name calling.

• nwanyi na aga aga

July 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Here we go…. People like you are the reason why Nigeria will never ever be saved. And sadly 90% of Nigerians think just like you. Ethnic-religious-tribalistic sentiments everywhere… When i leave this place, I dont think i will return….

• nene

July 15, 2013 at 3:07 pm

don’t return oh. abbiba is speaking the truth. everyone is quick to criticize jonathan, what of obj, and the worst ever..IBB. nobody criticizes IBB for leaving us in this mess. he started all this rubbish and corruption as well as university strikes in nigeria. me i still love my country because i have good memories and i’m comfortable and have everything i need here.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm

@ Abbiba, I think the classic “Two wrongs do not a Right make” has to be the most appropriate rejoinder to your comment.

Irrespetive of Asari’s cause, he broke a lot of laws. And when you break enforceable laws, that makes you a criminal. He had absolutely no respect for the laws he broke or even human life and is now living off the fat of the land. Are you honestly trying to sell this man to us as a hero? How has the fate of the impoverished people from Ijaw land now changed for the better since he began receiving his generous “allowance” from the National purse?

Oh, I know he isn’t the government whose responsibility it is to take care of them but he cared enough to use them as an international platform to publicize his so-called movement. Please, Asari is an ego-maniac who is just as bad as the government he’s now getting cosier and cosier with. Ijaw people didn’t need his militancy, they need advocates who are truly dedicated to a sustainable push against the injustice that the entire region continues to suffer even today.

• Tinkerbell

July 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

As much as Mr Dokubo has the right to fight for the Ijaw people, I don’t think he is going about it the right way. The people of the Niger Delta and the Ijaws are more impoverished now than we were before a President of Niger Deltan extraction was made president. We need to talk about more concrete issues like education, dealing with the pollution caused by the so called oil reserves and also finding an alternative source for wealth generation for the Niger Delta region not fighting for our reserves or for shares for them . Also, I think you missed the point the authour was trying to make, there’s nothing wrong with giving Asari money, but why in God’s name 9million dollars. That’s a way of rewarding mediocrity, militancy and instigating tribalism. The money could be given to more worthy causes in Nigeria or even in the Niger Delta like education. I am Urhobo and I have been around the Niger Delta and seriously speaking my fellow Niger Deltans need education and exposure because we seriously lack it and that’s why we are having issues.

11. Dora the explorer

July 15, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Nigeria is a failing(failed) State.. QED

12. The Fairy GodSister

July 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Exactly @ Mz Socially Awkward… I love it from afar, pop in, pop out, miss it terribly, but I stay sane. By the way, are you in England? These days I find myself looking out for your comments – you’re not in the ranting lot on here and that’s refreshing.

13. dippy

July 15, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I don’t know what the whining is about. Nobody is actually in love with Nigeria but it is our home country and we don’t have a choice but to make it work. So stop bitching and do something if you call yourself a Nigerian.

14. G-DaDa

July 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, well-thought out, mind-baring,but no politician nor administrator reads this, when someone of Abbiba Princewill and his tribal-centric mates have such mind-set too, you think there would ever be our dream Nigeria?????? God bless you!! The challenges are innate, we all need a re-birth of the mind!!!

15. jcsgrl

July 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Hmnn Nigeria! Having grownup in Nigeria and abroad, I am torn in my love for two places. You know, how can you be in love with 2 people are the same time? That’s how I can describe it. When I’m in Nigeria, I’m alive and when in US, I’m equally alive. Yes our govt has failed us over and over again. Frankly looking at Nigeria with human eyes, the country is failed. If I could find a way to remove all the good citizens and start another country I would. But I can only look at Nigeria through the eyes of faith knowing that with God nothing is impossible. Please let us not blame just our govt, our people are equally corrupt. Our religious institutions have failed us. Our parents have failed us. I pray that one day, when God has destroyed and wiped out what and who has stood in the way of our progress, that the remnant that has refused to cave in will rise and rebuild Nigeria again. When it will happen I don’t know but I know God is watching and one day he will hear the prayers of those who truly seek him for good.

16. Purpleberry

July 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

1st, I understand the sentiments of the writer…I too feel that way sometimes. I moved back to Nigeria a few years ago but had to run away agiain just a few months ago for some ‘sanity’. That said, we cannot afford to give up on that country. I still believe there’s hope for it though I’m not sure how. I’ll go back again but its really sad when you go with a lot of dreams and aspirations but the system keeps kicking you below the belt. I still believe in Nigeria.
    @ Abiba Princewell, what in the world are you on about???

17. Abbiba Princewill

July 15, 2013 at 2:00 pm

BTW am not a Mr. It’s a miss and yes Asari Dokubo has been fighting for the Ijaw cause since he’s teens he’s one of the founding members of the Ijaw Youth council. If you were playing when you were 19 doesn’t mean other people were playing too. I am 19 and I have an opnion you calling him a criminal is a defamation on his charcter.. you can make your point without resorting to name calling… enough said

• slice

July 15, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Pls what does he collect 9 million for? Maybe u can explain

• BabyDee

July 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Biko, please ask am o? @Princewill, would you care to explain why it is okay for anyone to earn an income without working? Asari is part of the problem whether you like it or not, and if you don’t you can get the f–k out of here jare. Asari is an unruly thug, and thief. If he he is indeed fighting for the Ijaw people I’m sure he has been putting that $9millon to good use in the Ijaw community right? He has put tens or even hundreds of Ijaw children through school with that money? or is feeding them for free? Or is he clothing them for free? Pray do tell!!!

-BabyDee

18. colourfulbutterfly

July 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Mayowa Idowu!
    God will bless you!
    If i ever have a child with a Nigerian man eh, let me somersault!
    My child will never have a naija passport!
    I am on the verge of deleting all the naija DNA from my life!
    As a keen traveller, everywhere i go the first assume i am American, when they realise that i hold the green passport, they become terrified, rude and on guard!
    Some embassies say to me: “you have a risky nationality”!
    I am so upset as i am in Asia on holiday and i tell you, it is not funny to have that green kpali!
    Tufiakwa!

19. nich

July 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm

@ oluwa idowu you are waking up to the reality of nigeria now. if what the prophet on ireporterstv said was to be taken seriously then be ready to embrace the worst yet to happen in that country. you should be praying for yourself and your family at this point because your life could be more important than what you feel.

but in all this nigeria remains our country and we all have to do our best to contribute to it positive. i have always said it to my friends here in the states that i am investing in nigeria and i will keep doing that. i believe it is my own contribution to this country nigeria. @ idowu i do not know how old you are, but i believe that nigeria would be getting better by 45yrs from now. i am consoling you of your heart break about nigeria, but atleast pray that your children are able to witness a better nation in their time.

i encourage those of you who live in nigeria and those who have decided to live in nigeria to fight this battle to the end to remain strong. our prayers would one day be answered and the children would smile.

20. naija husband

July 15, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Well, besides writing essays, what has any one dropping a comment on this page actually done to improve the country? (myself included)

21. j

July 15, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hello Oluwamayowa, this is from your article “I like to think of myself as a political nerd who would have channeled attributes from people I look up to like Bill Clinton, John F Kennedy Jr, Nelson Mandela and Barack Obama in taking Nigeria forward.s from your article”. I don’t think you know much about JFK because if you do you will never fall out of love with your country of birth. This is what JFK said at his inauguration in Washington on January 20 1961 “And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country”. So I am going to ask you, what have you done for Nigeria? Government can’t provide you with everything and government should not be there for you at all times. The time is now to help our country in any way we could and stop complaining. Of course we need government to provide security and make sure to put in place policies to encourage entrepreneurship.

22. Jules

July 15, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Good question……

23. Product of public Education

July 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm

ME I LOVE MY COUNTRY I NO GO LIE NA INSIDE AM I GO LIVE AND DIE UNTILL ALL OUR CORRUPT LEADERS AND SELFISH INDIVIDUALS ARE CONSUMED BY HOLY GHOST FIRE.

MR AUTHOR NO WHERE LIKE HOME PLEASE DON’T FALLOUT OF LOVE WITH NAIJA O!! BABA GOD WITH BE WITH YOU,PROVIDE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY SO THAT YOU CAN AFFORD RECHARGE CARD FOR INTERNET CONNECTION .ETC IN voice of Qdot Alomo meta lo le si. Naija suffering and smiling episode infinity.

24. Ibukunoluwa

July 15, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Miss Abbiba though, defamation of character??seriously??? even for the kardashians that phrase is ridiculous. my flatmate(a rivers state politician’s son) has been anti-amaechi from the word go, recently i asked him why, he said and i quote ” amaechi isn’t letting money flow and he insulted our traditional rulers” i had to ask how that is an index for measuring good governance, silly isn’t it?!… the reality of how sick NIgeria is hit me afresh, the people in government are rotten and they stink, their children have caught the bug and as for the people, our greed has us disillusioned. along with the writer, I register my displeasure with the country as well…but then what?

25. deyepee

July 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Nigeria yi ti gbogbo wa ni( This Nigeria is ours) although it is spoilt already……. i feel this way sometimes, even saying you are from Niger could be better sometimes. I love Nigeria tho but I dont see a better future….

26. Luqman

July 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I think it is high time we stop thinking about all these atrocities being perpetrated by our politicians, we can also make Nigeria a better place by contributing our own part. Why can’t we all emulate someone like an Igbo girl that went to do her Youth Service in Northern part and she used what was in her capacity to make changes in her own little way rather than waiting for Govt all the time, we can also make a difference in Nigeria by emulating her way of thinking beyond our ethnic, religion, gender and all the hindrances affecting every individual. We tends to blame Govt all the time and we have forgotten that it is people like us that will become a Govt tomorrow and started singing “if they are drinking garri, i dont care, at least they can still drink garri “, If we don’t have a good mindset for Nigeria, we will still keep repeating same thing bcos we don’t love each other.

We like to talk till day break without analyzing how we can solve our problems, another writer will come tomorrow with another article encompasses Nigeria problems without professing a solution to our problems and we keep going back to square one again.

The day we Nigerians start to think beyond our clans (Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Ijaw etc) is the day we will be able to select good leaders to represent us.
    Most Nigerians of today sees themselves as an Igbo, Yoruba and all tribes u can ever think of before Nigeria which is really affecting our reasoning to select and judge our Leaders without being biased.
    Some people will say i’m a Christian, i can’t vote for Muslim and vice versa which i still don’t know how we can tackle the problem bcos we Nigerians of today are the worst enemy of ourselves, imagine some people crucifying Pastor Tunde Bakare for venturing into politics or saying something against those hoodlums called Leaders while some of the Pastors would never utter any word against those Leaders. Poverty has affected our reasoning to the extent that we can differentiate right from left again. People that are fighting for masses nowadays are now seeing as an attention seekers while people like Abati, Doyin and co are heroes in the society.

I have never seen Nigerians discussing, writing, forming a forum or deliberate on who can really govern our Nation, may be we have concluded that the beautiful ones are yet to be born which means there are no legitimate candidates out of 160 Million that can pilot the affairs of Nigeria.

27. mo

July 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm

@ J…..What exactly have you yourself done for Nigeria lately??? Did I hear you say something? I didn’t think so!

28. new bride

July 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm

For those of us who don’t have foreign passports or the means to move to another country, we have no choice but to keep loving Nigeria and praying for God to turn our situation around.

29. nigerians hate too much, gosh

July 16, 2013 at 12:10 am

God bless Luqman!!!!

30. nigerians hate too much, gosh

July 16, 2013 at 12:11 am

Bros Luqman for president!!!! Agreed?

• Luqman

July 16, 2013 at 8:34 am

I hates leadership roles! different people with different aspiration in life

31. oyin

July 16, 2013 at 2:09 am

next elecction mudt be different oh Lord
    unpopular choices of presidential candidates don’t get as little as a chance or support.
    rapidly pat utomI droped out or shall we say snuffed out of the running for presidency.
    why? because he didn’t have or refused to bow to godfathers

independent candidates should be champion’s.
    we need people that can articulate

what worries me the most about Nigeria is the amount of borrowing from other countries that our government today is involved in. who and how will we pay it back? in good deads? because I dont see returns…I only see lavish misappropriation of funds.

sad to know that our politicians and law makers are one of the best paid in the world (more than developed countries with stronger currencies)
    so you see that even our rewards system is just beyong messed up. how do you reward stagnation so handsomely.
    even the president cannot put a firm stop to this , because as my dad said – YOU CANNOT TALK WHILE EATING!

a good amount of Nigerian leaders do not have an ounce of serving spirit. once they make it, they forget the struggle of ordinary people.

sad life

32. NNENNE

July 16, 2013 at 2:18 am

Neither do I want to be part of a country where merit does not exit but nepotism,tribalism and marginalization abound! A country where creativity and incentives are murdered by the above vices.

33. Lala

July 16, 2013 at 6:22 am

Mr Idowu, you do not realize the emotions that reading your article has roused in me. I have never commented on this platform and as I do this, tears are streaming down my face.
    I too am reaching that point where I am close to giving up on being the President of Nigeria someday; unfortunately, like a perpetually unfaithfully husband, this country keeps on reminding of the stark reality on ground.
    Lets even forget that fact that I am woman (lets not fool ourselves, this country doesn’t take female politicians seriously). I had been brought up by my father to believe that this dream COULD and WOULD happen, that one day I would be part of the mechanism that drove Nigerian into a better future. In fact, every step I have taken has been geared towards this dream. I was head girl, won a scholarship to one of the BEST A-level schools in the world, have taken several leadership position in both local and international charities, got into one of the BEST business school at the age of 19, got a job as a teaching assistant while still in undergrad and now am currently looking to get into the burgeoning tech. industry here where I can hopefully learn and transfer some skills and knowledge over to Nigeria eventually.
    But like you said, this country is an unfaithful partner that never stops effing you over; the only problem is that I am only realizing this now after a life devoted to my significant other and I feel like a f&*king fool
    You know what, I give up. I am tired, mi o se mo. Even my father tells me there is nothing for me back home.

34. A-z

July 17, 2013 at 4:31 am

I’m not going to get into the the various arguments raised by the article but rather I’d draw everyone’s attention to ms lala’s first comment which aptly compares the debacle that was our fuel subsidy revolt and that of Egypt’s. The truth like soraya mentioned is that Nigerians aren’t ready for a revolution. The saying ” when pushed to the wall enough at some point something would give” doesn’t seem to apply to us in fact I have come to the conclusion that Nigerians rather keep digging themselves into to the wall enduring and finding solace. I mean what haven’t Nigerians endured? From basics like lack of food, shelter, water, electricity, security, amenities, healthcare etc to even mundane things like ASUU strike
    Abeg I don tire, I’m surprised Nigerians aren’t dropping dead on the streets by the dozens given all they have to endure