News

Must Watch! The First Trailer for the Film Adaptation of “Half of a Yellow Sun” starring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Thandie Newton

HOAYS - BELLANAIJA
It’s HERE! The first trailer for “Half of a Yellow Sun” . The film adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s award-winning novel. Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years A Slave, Children of Men) and Thandie Newton (Crash, The Pursuit of Happyness) star in this epic chronicle of family ties and tribal violence from celebrated Nigerian playwright Biyi Bandele.

Here is the official synopsis of the film via IndieWire

Weaving together the lives of four people swept up in the turbulence of war. Olanna (Newton) and Kainene (Rose) are glamorous twins from a wealthy Nigerian family. Returning to a privileged city life in newly independent 1960s Nigeria after their expensive English education, the two women make very different choices.

Olanna shocks her family by going to live with her lover, the “revolutionary professor” Odenigbo (Ejiofor) and his devoted houseboy Ugwu (Boyega) in the dusty university town of Nsukka; Kainene turns out to be a fiercely successful businesswoman when she takes over the family interests, and surprises herself when she falls in love with Richard (Mawle) an English writer.

Preoccupied by their romantic entanglements, and a betrayal between the sisters, the events of their life loom larger than politics. However, they become caught up in the events of the Nigerian civil war, in which the lgbo people fought an impassioned struggle to establish Biafra an independent republic, ending in chilling violence which shocked the entire country and the world.

The film has been selected and will show at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival and will open the Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF) in November 2013.

1. Me

July 23, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Chiwetel Ejiofor is on point!!!!

• Nollywood REinvented

July 23, 2013 at 11:22 pm

As in too on point, as though the guy lives in Naija… Too say I’m excited is barely scratching the surface.

nollywoodreinvented.com/2013/07/coming-soon-half-of-yellow-sun.html

• nene

July 24, 2013 at 10:52 am

too on point. i want to marry him NOW. this looks like something i will watch. love seeing zack orji and onyeka. thandie’s accent is not nigerian enough. in all, this movie looks much better than the mandela movie with idris elba and the one with terrence howard.

2. lola

July 23, 2013 at 9:18 pm

wow….cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dupe O

July 23, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Woo.. Looks quite interesting can’t wait

• Wondering

July 24, 2013 at 9:32 am

Where is Kainene? Don’t tell me they used a fair chic for Kainene!!! Ans what is tat accent on “Olanna”? It is not an English accent, and is most definitely not from any Nigerian tribe. More like iono mean Mozambique or summin. I hope these ppl wont spoil the movie for me oh.
      Anyway, to their credit, Odenigbo sure looks finer than the book depicts ** smiles**… lol

4. Tinu

July 23, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Cant waittt, soo glad they cast some of the greats of Nollywood, Zack Orji, Onyeka Onwenu etc..

• Al

July 24, 2013 at 11:26 am

CAN. NOT. WAIT!

5. Es

July 23, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Absolutely amazing. Can’t wait to see this.

6. Concerned_Boyfriend

July 23, 2013 at 9:36 pm

wow!… This sure will garner a great deal of enthusiasm from everyone…white or black! . Granted an Oscar nomination for this movie..

• Idak

July 23, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Take it easy with the hyping.

• hayzey

July 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

It’s actually very likely there will be a nomination, though. Even if it’s only for Chiwetel. He’s in two high major projects this year which are just prime oscar-bait. Plus the producers of the movie have a good track record.

7. Anonymous

July 23, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Cant wait to see this movie….I actually just finished reading the book today.

8. Toin

July 23, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I can’t wait!!!!

9. MN

July 23, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I have goosebumps! I am yet to read the book, now I need to go get it like tomorrow!!!

10. chinedu arinze

July 23, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Can’t wait watch my genny display in dis great movie

• zeee

July 24, 2013 at 10:04 am

which genny?

11. Akpeno

July 23, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Wow! Class! Riverting! Looks well put together! Nollywood una dey look?…..

Ok now to the matter wen dey pain me… Why dem nor use naija babe? So no naija actress home and abroad could fit this role? I find that very hard to believe… There are naija women just as skinny and good looking as Thandie…. Why? Our women need to be celebrated not undermined… We are just as beautiful!

Ok back to the movie… Great stuff can’t wait!

• jane

July 23, 2013 at 10:23 pm

the author try na.. see naija full ground.onyeka onwenu and co. Even her husband for film be naija..if say she no put anybody then for dia I go get wahala but person suppose sell market. Thandie go sell market,na soo o

• Femi L

July 24, 2013 at 10:52 am

It is a business and it has to sell… Using one or two known faces does the trick..

• enkay

July 27, 2013 at 3:17 am

Nse! Nse! Nse! who is her publicist? I swear that lass can claim an Oscar easy. I can see her commanding the role that Thandie Newton played and delivering it well. As far as I am concerned, she is the best and most under rated Nigerian actress in present times… as for Genevieve, i’ve always said it, her acting is really ‘not quite there’ much wonder why her part is ostensibly missing in the trailer ???

12. Akpeno

July 23, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Naija women are just as beautiful and talented! I meant to say!

13. Mz Socially Awkward....

July 23, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Chei, Chinwetel, My crush!! Why are you breaking my ‘hart’, na? What are you and Thandie locking lips anyhow for?? Ehnn?? And see how SEXY that Naija accent is on you…. Oh, my very own Odenigbo… *dreamy stare*

And… I really don’t know about this movie. Maybe I need to watch the trailer a few times but just right now, I’m not feeling any excitement about it. And I loved that book, read it multiple times. If they ruin the movie, I’ll be so sad.

• chiquita

July 23, 2013 at 11:24 pm

What is this one talking about…abeg he’s mine oh. That Naija accent fit am die.

• jinkelele

July 24, 2013 at 12:28 am

it will be hard for them to pull it off, but i hope it gets people at least moderately satisfied.

14. marian

July 23, 2013 at 9:55 pm

wow wow wow!!!! this is a must watch movie for me…thank you Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie….

• hayzey

July 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

Thank Chimamanda for the movie? You can’t be serious.

15. yvonne

July 23, 2013 at 9:55 pm

OMD!!!!!!!….i just totally started reading this novel..find it hard to drop it..now the movie is gonna be out soon…some coincidence ..whoop!…lol

16. PYT

July 23, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I need to finish this book asap

17. nnenne

July 23, 2013 at 9:58 pm

This is a must waaaaaaaaaaaatch!!!!….. The scenes reminds me of hotel rwanda

18. GreenDiamond

July 23, 2013 at 10:01 pm

good quality nd story line

19. Ngozi

July 23, 2013 at 10:12 pm

This looks AMAZING!!!!!

20. Iris

July 23, 2013 at 10:14 pm

So Zack Orji is in this movie and Onyeka Onwenu is in this movie ? What was all the fuss about Genevieve?

• Nok10

July 24, 2013 at 6:06 am

{@ Iris: You echoed my thoughts. Naija blogs made it seem like Genevieve Nnaji was the only naija in the movie, and her part got edited out. Thats why I was vexing before even watching the trailer. Then I saw the seasoned veteran actors – guess this current generation of actors are no match for our veteran actors. The Hollywood producers made the right choice!

21. Idak

July 23, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Long time no see Gloria Young. Glad to see her in the trailer.

• nene

July 24, 2013 at 10:54 am

yeah, i missed gloria young too. amazing actors in this movie.

22. Thatgidigirl

July 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Maaaaaadt! Can’t wait!

23. FBI

July 23, 2013 at 10:30 pm

see correct trailer, correct acting! i didn’t want it to end Nollywood when will you learn?????

24. CarliforniaBawler

July 23, 2013 at 10:38 pm

wow wow wow!!!!! Can’t wait to watch!! I became obsessed with the Biafran war after running into a Memoir written by one of the Generals. And even though I’m not one given to read fiction, I actually went out of my way to read Half of a Yellow Sun. I wish they have Ojukwu (properly) represented in the the movie oh!! I saw an interview on TV and developed the biggest crush on that man…his eloquence amongst other things stole my heart.
    I do feel the pain of the Igbo people (Ibo?..ooops?) I wish Biafra had survived, that may have been the best thing to happen to the mess we call Nigeria today.
    Soon enough, we’ll have a revolution! And we will seize our future from the drunken gluttons that inhabit power today. This time, it would be done right, no war! there will be bloodshed but no war! At this point if the Northerners like they can retain the name Nigeria for themselves…let them enjoy!!

• Irokoroots

July 24, 2013 at 4:32 am

Abegiii, make I hear word jare….. and what have the current “Biafran” governors/leaders/even local government chairman done for the Ibo people? Would calling the region “Biafra” suddenly make the Ibo leaders grow an extra head so they can think correctly? Biafra would have been another failed oil rich state. Na today.

Sorry, I couldn’t help but comment.

In other news, I guess I will have to add Half of a Yellow Sun to my must read list. The movie is reminiscent of Hotel Rwanda and Last King Of Scotland, which I both loved. It is definitely a must see for me.

• CarliforniaBawler

July 24, 2013 at 10:20 am

You haven’t even read the book? Do you even know any of your history? or even how contemporary politics works in the southeast or even the different political parties down there. Oh well for the sake of this quick argument, I’d like to educate you that the current southeastern governors are not Biafran governors …..they are corrupt Nigerian governors. Expecting them to be any good for their people is like expecting Tinubu and his cohorts to have the best interests of the Yoruba people at heart (even though they are the supposed opposition).

• Idak

July 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Take a bow. Your type are not easily deceived.

• Peaches77

July 24, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Thank you very much for explaining briefly to her.

• irokoroots

July 24, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I know quite alot about the Biafran war. You seem to have reiterated my point without even knowing it. What I was trying to say is the Biafran people will still produce the same type of leaders they have always produced. You may call them products of PDP, APC or whatnot. These same guys were born and raised in the sates or regions they govern. So I just don’t buy that calling a region another name would make the people act any different. Not to be hash, but you can put lipstick on a pig…..
      I know quite alot about the Biafran war and I didn’t get my facts from a fictional novel. You seem to have reiterated my point without even knowing it. What I was trying to say is the Biafran people will still produce the same type of leaders they have always produced. You may call them products of PDP, APC or whatnot. These same guys were born and raised in the sates or regions they govern. So I just don’t buy that calling a region another name would make the people act any different. Not to be hash, but you can put lipstick on a pig…..

@Peaches77 – I am a he by the way

• irokoroots

July 24, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Ps. BN please create a larger comment box to avoid goof ups like this ^^^. lol

• Peaches77

July 25, 2013 at 11:27 am

Sorry about that, but I think you still miss the point he was making. Biafra was a movement, it was an ideal, a belief and passion shared by a group of people who were being oppressed. It could have been different if it succeeded at that time, not sure about now though.

25. Vicky

July 23, 2013 at 10:42 pm

CANT WAIT!!!!!!!

26. nonye

July 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm

for some reason neither chinewtel, thandie or the other chic connected to me in their roles.

• NAIJA 4 LIFE

July 24, 2013 at 7:55 am

For some reason….,lol, u know why, cos u know nothing about acting.

• nonye

July 24, 2013 at 10:39 am

No dear, its because i read the book, and what I found amazing was Chimamanda’s ability to be so vivid in her depiction of what happened years before she was born. It felt like I was right there. I didn’t get that sense from the trailer . I felt like I was watching Chinwetel, Thandie and Anika not Olanna, Kainene et al. Their potrayal of the characters didn’t connect to me (in for instance) the way the characters in the tv adaptation of Alex Haley’s connected to the book Maybe its a bit too early to judge from just the trailer, I am happy the story has been into a movie but I feel a little underwhelmed after watching that trailer.

(P.S – I don’t have to know about acting, I am not an actress, I am part of the audience, its the actor’s/actresses’ role to know about acting and interprete the role so that it connects to whoever’s watching. Its like your driver having an accident with your car and telling you that you cant understand why he had the accident because you cant drive… think about it…)

• Bleed blue

July 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Nonye, I have a crush on your response. Well explained, without any disrespect.

#GotToLoveYou

• tunmi

July 24, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I felt the same way. I was especially let down with Kainene…and great explanation on the acting part

• Simya

July 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm

It is almost impossible for a movie to match up to the expectations of the book. Everyone has their own imagination when they read books, so if you’re expecting a connection…forget it? The directors are not mind readers nor spiritual analysts. I try to avoid watching the movies of the books I read cause it is never up to standard, however, this looks really good and there’s no way I’m missing out on this

• nonye

July 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm

No connection? You may be right…. Movie adaptations like the Godfather, the Colour Purple, Gone with the Wind, Devil wears Prada, Roots (to mention a few) must be exceptions to a general rule. anyway like I said, I am glad the book was made into a movie, the story is definitely worthy. I will always prefer the story as told by the author instead of the screenplay. Joy to the world… all in all its a good thing for future writers, hopefully things can only get better

27. 'Mide

July 23, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I hope and pray this film finds its audience. Maybe then, we might ultimately witness the beginning of the movement (started by Adichie) of serious work of modern African fiction adapted to movie scripts.

28. Dora the explorer

July 23, 2013 at 10:55 pm

omg omg omg!!!Look at my grin as I watched the trailer!! I know movies made out of books never quite cut it but this one looks promising..Gloria Young, Thandie, Chiwetel !!! Can’t wait!!!
    But Olanna (Thandie Newton’s xter) should be a thicker person while her sister Kainene the slender one, going by the descriptions in the novel, anyways its been a minute since I read that book! this has made my night! Bless you BN!!!

• anonymous

July 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

thought the same thing too.. Olanna was not so skinny and her sister was described as not pretty and very skinny.

29. say what?

July 23, 2013 at 11:05 pm

im excited but at the same time not feeling thandie dont know why…. going to watch it tho…

• nonye

July 23, 2013 at 11:32 pm

glad to know it wasn’t just me

30. Mama Mia!

July 23, 2013 at 11:19 pm

WOW

31. chiquita

July 23, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Abeg, this movie is on point, this is want we are talking about . Chiwetel brought out out naija accent by force, onyeka and Zack orji have all stepped up. Can’t wait to watch this and Stephanie’s movie DRY.

32. JENNIETOBBIE

July 23, 2013 at 11:24 pm

And I just finished and returned this book today!! Incredible.

33. tolu

July 23, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Now this is a perfect TRAILER!!! cant wait for this movie!!

34. temtem

July 23, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Wow amazing cast at its best! Love love love Thandie Newton! See my nollywood legends, best of the best…can’t wait to see this movie! So proud…yes ma’am!

35. Her royal freshness

July 24, 2013 at 12:04 am

OMG ! Can’t wait to watch it o

36. me

July 24, 2013 at 12:21 am

This is what happens when i read a book before i see the movie …… the characters i have created for myself dont just look like the ones in the movie… I love that book so much and i dont want to be disappointed because the trailer looks BLEH to me

37. me

July 24, 2013 at 12:23 am

Plus why does Olanna look like that….oh i feel sorry for me

38. DeeDee

July 24, 2013 at 12:28 am

Wow!!! Really look forward to watch this movie after reading the book 3 years ago but where is Genevieve Nnaji in this trailer? which shows the role played by actors like Zack Orji, Onyeka Onwenu, Gloria Young, Tina Mba……….with all the “Hype” about her feature in the movie…..

39. jennifer

July 24, 2013 at 12:45 am

omg…im so excited at the trailer…but in the book olanna is suppose to be thicker and kainene thin with long neck….but in all..i am in loveeee…i cant wait for it to hit the cinemas…i will run there….i will forever love the works of chimamanda…she has made literature beautiful for me…

40. mujer casada

July 24, 2013 at 1:01 am

White people can do movie sha!! I SHALL WATCH> WHEN IS IT COMING TO THE SILVER SCREEN! I’ll pay premium to watch

41. Ndo

July 24, 2013 at 1:15 am

Genevieve’s scenes were removed from the film due to poor acting. Don’t believe me, just watch lol

42. ao

July 24, 2013 at 1:37 am

This is by far Adichie’s most powerful book. I read it several years ago within two days. Yet, till this day, I get very sad when I think about the book.
    My mother and aunt read the book as well and I recall both wondering in amazement how Adichie captured the flavor of life at that time despite not being alive then. I hope the movie is just as impactful as the book.

43. NNENNE

July 24, 2013 at 1:51 am

Iroko Tv, please make sure you get this movie on line.
    Now I have to read the book again. Great book and a great movie.

44. Bella Noire

July 24, 2013 at 2:12 am

Can’t wait! Looks like it’s going to be great!

45. FRIED RICE

July 24, 2013 at 2:13 am

hotel rwanda and last kind of scotland = half of a yellow sun!

46. Nash

July 24, 2013 at 2:47 am

Nollywood producers and writers pleeeeeeeease take a cue from this. The production isnt beyond you. It pays to research and be painstaking in one’s work, in order to attract a quality cast like Chinwetel Ejiofor and co. This is the result of the great work from Chimamanda Adichie.

47. www.myHairmyBeautyNigeria.com

July 24, 2013 at 3:03 am

I can’t believe I’m crying, I read the book 4 times (lol, nerd I know), and its amazing to see some of the characters come to life! funny enough I was not a fan of the professor while reading the book, but in this movie version I’m in LOVE! lol. I can’t to see this movie!!

48. St. ed

July 24, 2013 at 3:24 am

Lol……. True. Let’s not get aheafd of ourselves

49. IDG

July 24, 2013 at 3:36 am

At every opportunity Chimamanda talks about self acceptance,self love, patriotism yet she couldnt even fight for Nigerians to be cast as main characters. The half baked accent from Anika and Thandie is quite nauseating!

• 5'5

July 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

She was in no way involved in the making of the movie, she has said this many times, only if you would care to make informed comments.

• tunmi

July 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm

she could have. JK Rowlings at least made sure of that and that was a woman who was practically homeless before writing

50. xoxo

July 24, 2013 at 3:53 am

i’m already impressed!!

51. Teetee

July 24, 2013 at 4:05 am

I just kept on saying wow! As I watched the trailer.i can wait to see this

52. birdieblue

July 24, 2013 at 4:56 am

Oh my gosh!!! Im already feeling teary!! I’m so reading the book before I watch it though (the harry Potter series lesson). Half of a purple sun seems like a 360 of purple hibiscus that I’m wondering why i just assumed it was similar to purple hibiscus, which by the way is also a winner.

53. Eve82

July 24, 2013 at 5:10 am

This evoked a lot of feelings for me. Definitely a contender for the Oscars. Looking forward to seeing this.

• didabliz

July 24, 2013 at 9:53 am

MY THOTS EXACTLY! OR @ LEAST A GOLDEN GLOBE!

54. labelle

July 24, 2013 at 6:02 am

yayyy! can’t wait!

55. ngblaq

July 24, 2013 at 6:32 am

wow cant wait to see the full movie
    lovely!!!!!!

56. Perfect

July 24, 2013 at 6:43 am

Looks too much like a set for goodness sake. The fake Palm Trees at the beginning of the trailer such a dead give away

57. Ewy

July 24, 2013 at 7:43 am

WOW! This movie will definately be interesting. can’t wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

58. happy

July 24, 2013 at 8:12 am

read d book n i knw d movie will be sooo cool

59. Shirlz

July 24, 2013 at 8:22 am

OMG i can’t wait…….. can’t wait at all……..

60. Awuli

July 24, 2013 at 8:26 am

where is Gene??? wasnt she in the movie? confuse face?

• anonymous

July 25, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I think Gene is the lady on the afro with a red dress cos she was Ms Adebayo in the movie and I think that was one of the scenes of Odenugo’s numerous house meetings with his friends.

61. memiee

July 24, 2013 at 8:35 am

great! will get the novel right now before the movie comes out!

62. Amaka

July 24, 2013 at 8:36 am

This movie is gonna be on point…let me even finish the book first!

63. Spotter

July 24, 2013 at 8:40 am

Nollywood hope you are learning. See trailer, everything on point. Well done Biyi Bandelr

64. Spotter

July 24, 2013 at 8:40 am

bandele.

65. Hurperyermie

July 24, 2013 at 8:41 am

can’t wait

66. Ani

July 24, 2013 at 8:49 am

This is a must watch. I feel so proud knowing that they are acting out a book by a ‘NIGERIAN AUTHOR’. The whole concept is beautiful. I was very happy to see Onyeka, Zack, and Gloria, some of our nollywood greats.

67. 5'5

July 24, 2013 at 8:53 am

How come nobody is talking about Ugwu who in a roundabout way was the focal point of the book? he told the story. The person cast as Ugwu is a total hottie.. I cant wait to watch the movie. I loved the book and i always think books made into movies arent done well with the book being always better than the movie–this however looks to be the opposite. The movie is just as good, well going by the trailer. LOVE Chiewetel! Olanna was never my favourite character anyways soo i dont care who was cast as her.

68. Ibinabo

July 24, 2013 at 9:05 am

ok, i need to read the book.. where can i buy it?

• Slimgirl

July 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

You can order it online from Jumia if you are in Nigeria. I have read the book about 6 times and it always, always gets to me. Chimamanda outdid herself on this one. It is amazing and it is a timeless book. It also gives us an insight of our history. She did a good job, much better than Americanah. I hope the movie captures the spirit of the book. I can’t wait.

• Ibinabo

July 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm

thanks.

69. Lynxx & Emma Nyra are Nigeria wackest artist alive!

July 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

Going through the comments,it could be realised that some Nigerians have not read the books,I’m deeply amazed,but they sure troll from blog to blogs casting hateful aspiration on others…truly if you want to hide anything from the black man,hide it in the book…Such a show of SHAME!!!!!

• EMI

July 24, 2013 at 11:14 am

i actually thought the same thing. i read this book february 2007 and purple hibiscus the year before that. Our people do not read. We only start looking for books when the hype is on for it. i bought mine for 800 Naira at numetro silverbird galleria and i still remember my excitement at getting it that i finished it that same day. We do not go out of our way to find books that will teach and entertain us. Some folks actually think that half of a yellow sun is the only book written about the civil war but isn’t. There are so may books but one has to look to find them and learn a bit about the history of the country we call our fatherland.

That said though this trailer is simply awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can’t wait to see it

• Just saying...

July 24, 2013 at 12:34 pm

You guys are so RIGHT!
      l was about to comment my amazement on th pple who said they v read the book, u r too r saying u finished in a day
      Firstly l’m impressed at the pple who had read the book n r still reading n discovering new books
      Secondly l’m challenged to know some pple r reading ooo n r ‘wiseing up’ and life is not just abt surfing blogs, analysing wears, sending hate comments in d name of ‘criticism’

• irokoroots

July 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm

You do know that some people dont read fiction, right?

70. didabliz

July 24, 2013 at 9:48 am

CAN’T WAIT OOOOO! ITCHING TO C DIS EPIC!… EXACTLY THE WAY IT IS IN D BOOK… DIS HAS TO GET AN OSCAR OR GOLDEN GLOBE NOD ABEG!!!…#goosies

71. Chuchusweets

July 24, 2013 at 9:58 am

OMG!!!!! I am so proudddddd! this is awesome. Im impressed. THANK YOU CHIMAMANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

72. Babious

July 24, 2013 at 9:59 am

eh i heard Genny’s scence was cut out! i hope not cos if madam Tina Mba can be there i don’t see why Genny cant. she better be or i”m nt watching!

• chiquita

July 24, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Don’t watch now. The truth of the matter is that your Genny’s acting skills isn’t so good as people may think. I’ve always said it, that we overhype Genny and I can see right through her acting…she’s not that good, and I am glad her scene was cut out. Didn’t you watch Ije? very poor acting, Omotola did way better than her. Genny is a beautiful actress and she tries, but she’s not up to Hollywood standard yet, sorry to say.

• MN

July 25, 2013 at 4:02 pm

You are so on point! I see right through her.

73. Mae

July 24, 2013 at 10:18 am

OMG! I actually really LOVED this. I’m definitely seeing this when it’s released. The only person who doesn’t really connect with me (accent wise) is Thandie. I think everyone else kinda works it.

74. amarachi

July 24, 2013 at 10:24 am

Wow 9ic moving I can’t wait

75. nino

July 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

cannot wait…but while i wait i shall go and re-read the book….the best of her books…

76. Lami

July 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

Great! Can’t wait
    iamfar.com

77. Peaches77

July 24, 2013 at 11:59 am

Wowza, can’t wait for this movie o, HOAYS has a very special place in my heart. Trailer doesn’t look bad @ all, without being too critical.

78. Wale

July 24, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Genny is over rated not surprised her scene was removed. I hope this film is shown here in the States, this will be the first feature film about Nigeria in recent times. There was Dinner with the devil and The Mask, back in the day. I bet a lot of people can’t even remember them. Or better still, were there more?

79. Okechukwu Ofili

July 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm

she did it…thank you.

80. Okechukwu Ofili

July 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

she did it…thank you Adichie.

81. Masked

July 24, 2013 at 12:26 pm

OMG! I feel like i wrote the script with them…when Odenigbo warned Richard to stay away from his house cos he slept with his wife and when they were getting married and there was a bomb blast and d scariest part when Richard was at d airport and he met this guy that was happy to be a govt worker and the soldiers came and shot him…I really cant wait…I just hope Kainene returned from the market she went in the movie cos i’m going to cry if she doesn’t.

82. JADE

July 24, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Yaaaaaay cant wait to watch this and please who is Tina Mba??

• DeeDee

July 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm

@Jade ..Tina Mba is a versatile Nigerian actor. She has featured in both stage and television dramas which also include movies in Yoruba & English ( fluent in Yoruba n Igbo and very articulate in spoken English) .

83. Weather

July 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Omg!

84. Gee

July 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I’ve waited and waited and the day has finally come. I read the book about 1 year ago and it was a real page turner. If you haven’t read the book try and do so before you watch it.
    I’m surprised Genny did not appear in the trailer. I did hear that her role was very small ( which is quite unfortunate) but I do hope that she gets good movie time on this one.

I wonder why they are teasing us with the “Coming soon”. Geez!!

Great work to all who made this movie happen!!

85. Omolola

July 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

The film is having its debut at the Toronto Film Festival happening in September

86. Omolola

July 24, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Making* it’s debut

87. Dupe

July 24, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I’m too impressed! I really hope Chiwetel does get an Oscar, but I’m thinking Anika may be the one to get a nomination. They usually give Oscars for stepping out of your comfort zone and playing a difficult and complex character. Since Chiwetel is actually Nigerian, not so far out. I absolutely cannot wait to watch this! Really don’t want to judge Thandie until I see this, but I really think Sophie Okonedo would have been a more appropriate Olanna. The director obviously had a different vision… or maybe Thandie carries more weight for Hollywood. Still so excited and so proud of Chimamanda that her story gets told on this scale.

88. ILoveGenevieve

July 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Good trailer but something doesn’t fit apart from the accent ….Can’t figure it. I think I saw Genevieve from behind on red and afro wig ….perhaps it wasn’t her. To all of you saying Genevieve is overrated ….thanks for adding EXACTLY NOTHING.

89. jenay

July 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I like & interesting.

90. Bella Noire

July 24, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Onyeka Onwenu is so underrated but one of our greatest artists. Can’t wait to see her in this.

91. chi chi

July 24, 2013 at 3:54 pm

1. Dissing Genevieve here is uncalled-for. She’s an actor in her own right, don’t knock all the efforts she’s made in her career. Not every actor gets to be in every film, no matter how great the actor or the film is.
    2. Chiwetel is my husband, so beeaches, BACK OFF.
    3. All of you who’ve been privileged to read a few books and come here to ‘yab’ the others for not reading are kinda funny IMO.
    Over 70% of Nigerians live BELOW poverty line in this nation, worrying about food/clothes/shelter/health, etc, a book is not their top priority, no matter how great the book is. Your being able to buy/borrow a book (especially a book like this one that’s mostly priced too high for regular folks) is a blessing a whole lot of people don’t have. There are things like illiteracy in this country, not everybody can or wants to read, DON’T JUDGE.
    We all know the sorry state of ‘The Library’ in Nigeria, even in schools.
    Some are readers and some are not. There are other things in life.
    4. I support the note that Nollywood should learn and improve from this.
    BTW, i am a reader too. i like fiction too. I’ve not read this book. I might (or might not) read it, in my own time. PEACE.

jewelzmag.com

92. oshi

July 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm

this movie trailer and the comment on hotel rwanda and last king of scotland just makes me hope and pray that we dont have another genocide in nigeria. cause with the way this boko haram thing is going. hmmmm. may God be with us.

93. Lilydarl

July 24, 2013 at 7:01 pm

This movie trailer just made me to purchase the book online. Hope to finish it before I can see the movie itself. Kudos to the crew !!. This movie is the bomb…

94. stan

July 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm

genevieve would have been perfect for thandies role !!! wait who is thandie bikonu??

it is in our genes to be inferior

GOD WHY????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

95. Mma

July 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Looks awesome.

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

96. angel

July 24, 2013 at 9:13 pm

genevieve scenes wasnt cut out if you look closely,she is the lady in the red dress with an afro..you guys should stop spreading vile rumors.learn to appreciate your own..

97. Shanday

July 25, 2013 at 12:13 am

I cannot wait to see this. looks amazing

98. Shanday

July 25, 2013 at 12:15 am

@Stan, Thandie Newton is a very good actress. She’s south African, she has acted in many movies

99. NNENNE

July 25, 2013 at 1:52 am

@ Stan… I know how you feel but there is something called marketing strategy.

100. Jamal stephens

July 25, 2013 at 2:54 am

In the novel Thandie’s character(if not both Sisters) spoke with an English accent so there you go.

101. Alexa

July 25, 2013 at 10:16 am

Love!Love!!Love!!! All these big films keep totoriing us with trailers and never get released….1st Black November then Lions of 76 now this. ..competition toh bahdt! Watch your back guys!!’BLACK NOVEMBER’ Trailer : m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rYVjZUkegB8 LIONS OF 76′ Trailer : youtube.com/watch?v=2Ag5v3155eQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2Ag5v3155eQ

102. Naveah

July 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Shanday – Point of correction if you please, Thandie is NOT South African. Her mother is Zimbabwean (Shona) and her father is British; however, her name is South African. Thandiwe means “beloved” in Ndebele, Zulu, Xhosa or Swazi.

103. oose

July 25, 2013 at 10:35 pm

oh wow thank Goodness … the story is nigerian the movie is authentically nigerian

104. honeys

July 26, 2013 at 4:59 am

AWW I see Genny and OC.

105. Ibukun

July 26, 2013 at 4:07 pm

So when Hollywood makes a movie and stars an african it’s to be celebrated, but having foreigners in a movie based on Nigeria is a bad thing? to think the movie is even produced by hollywood. *sigh* thandie and anika are awesome actresses, and if this was a tyler perry movie all of you critisizing them won’t be saying nothing. Embrace development please!

106. the color purple

July 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm

a must watch.

107. Yvonne Anakwe

July 28, 2013 at 11:50 am

Wow! I am so proud of Chimamanda Adichie (author of ‘Half of a Yellow Sun) This truly shows that we should follow our dreams.

108. Oby Azike

September 8, 2013 at 6:11 am

I’ve read the book, and now I cant wait to see the movie

obyazike.blogspot.co.uk

109. olu alvin

October 3, 2013 at 5:49 am

I was fotunate to act in the movie. It was a great experience. Send me a mail then I gist u [email protected]

• Tammy

January 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Where can you watch the movie???