Career

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: When I Grow Up, I Want to Be a Pilot

AMMBThis weekend, I actually discovered that I like babies. I know everyone coos at babies and goes “Oh look how cute he is!” but that wasn’t me. In fact, the only babies I carried for long periods were my nieces and nephews because I just figured “these ones are my own”. The fear of mishandling another person’s pikin was unbelievably real in my head. So, I saved ALL my love for babies till they’re old enough to walk and talk. At least, by then there’s no fear of them dropping or rolling off the bed when their mothers leave them in my charge. I guess spending a little extra time with babies this weekend has helped. I won’t say I’ll start going about holding up a baby towards the light and trying to figure out whose nose he has or whose fingers she took but at least I’m cured of my deathly fear of babies smaller than 4 years old.

As I was given charge of watching Iman while my friend Amina went to shower, I stared deep into her eyes and thought “This is actually the future. She is the future”. A thought popped into my head: before we know it this child will have a boyfriend, she’ll tell us she wants to be a lawyer like her Mummy.

I don’t know why that thought came but it reminded me of me. I was young and if anyone asked me what I wanted to be in future I’d scream “Lawyer”. I think it came from Montessori school when we had career day and I just wanted that black robe and wig SO badly. It didn’t help that I was a talkative as a child and everyone said “Ah, lawyer will ‘fit’ you oh!”. Then, I compounded my “problems” by falling in love with John Grisham books and that was it – I was sold! By JS3, I knew that I was going to fight the cause, scream “Objection my Lord” and pore for nights without end over large tomes. A month of court attachment in Ikeja High Court cured me of that lifelong fantasy. Thank goodness!

So, this morning as I thought of working on this piece, I asked some of my friends what they aspired to be as children. My question was “As a kid, when asked what you wanted to be when you grow up what did you say?”

JoJo said: “I wanted to be a journalist or a TV presenter but Daddy said his child would not be seen on TV”
Anne said: “Ambassador. I don’t know why I just know that they were posted abroad and I had dreams to travel the world”
Funmi: “I wanted to study theatre arts but my dad reminded me of who paid the bills”
Yetunde said: “Lawyer. But LASU gave me Philosophy and I was tired of sitting at home”
Jill said: “Typist. I liked the sound of the word typist”
Amina said: “DJ! I just loved music”

I’m going to have to remember to save that chat so that when Iman grows up and she says she wants to be a fashion designer or music video model, she doesn’t shut down her dreams.

Have a fabulous and beautiful week ahead. It’s very bright and sunny today and I’m very excited. It’s gonna be a good week. I can feel it in my bones!

Don’t forget to share what you wanted to be as a child. If you made it, please tell me how you feel and if you didn’t, think you still wanna try? Are you doing what you always dreamed of doing?

Peace, love & cupcakes!
Toodles!

Photo Credit: blogs.whatsontv.co.uk

1. Amaka

August 5, 2013 at 10:20 am

As a child, i wanted to be an air hostess, because daddy always came back with Lufthansa souvenirs from the cabin crew whenever he traveled; later i wanted to be a banker because of one UBA advert like that.
    I currently work in bank (not UBA though) but that’s not where i want to be…right now i want to be a tourist!lol

• GRAYCE

August 5, 2013 at 10:32 am

LMAAOOO. I feel u

2. pynk

August 5, 2013 at 10:23 am

Wanted to be a Dr. Hated Chemistry with a Passion. Ended up being an Applied Mathematician.

3. bussie

August 5, 2013 at 10:24 am

Lawyer! Lawyer! Lawyer! right from primary four when i started reading Nancy Drew, the famous five, secret seven. five-findouters and other Enid Byton books! Liked the whole idea of detectives and solving crime. I knew the police were the closest to crome-busters in Nigeria BUT no way was i going there! Next alternative? Lawyer and here i am many years later. GGTG :). PS also flirted with theatre-arts/mass comm since they were the only other arts courses but stuck to law jare

4. Iyke

August 5, 2013 at 10:26 am

The fact is that majority of people today aren’t doing the profession they wished for when they were kids.
    My dream as a kid was to be an Intelligence Officer…CIA, FBI stuff. Twice I wrote and passed NDA exams, but quota system denied me the opportunity.I ended up studying a social science course in a naija university before relocating for graduate studies in business, and working now in corporate America. Still would love to realize that dream.
    My cousin’s dream was to become a cardiovascular surgeon, today,he is a practicing Architect,married with two kids and with a pot belly.
    The other cousin dreamt of being a pilot,today, he is a creative designer for a major label in UK.
    Point is that most of us are not doing the jobs we have always wanted to do. As we grow older, and in the face of changing environment, our desires and needs also change.

• GRAYCE

August 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

I woulda loved to be an FBI agent too…Im very good at discovering things and keeping them secret..lol. bt…well, before boko haram go target me…that job sef get one kin coma

5. ty

August 5, 2013 at 10:37 am

i rerally wanna be an actrwss till date, but my mum wont even have that…i studied law for a bit but i dropped out cuz its just rily boring…now im in the finance world..oh well! at least il make money.

• BellaYankee

August 6, 2013 at 3:22 am

How old are you please? Are you living for your mother or yourself?

6. cozygal

August 5, 2013 at 10:39 am

I wanted to be an engineer oh. it dint matter which. cos I jus wanted to be dat woman who was doing wat few women delved into. then later I wanted to be a petroleum engineer (plenry money). I am a pharmacist now, and sometimes I ask myself why I dint study law, or fashion designing. but i’m glad i’m a pharmacist, it doesn exactly give me d job fulfilment I desire just yet, but it has given me a good background to become d world class entrepeneur/problem solver(lol @dat), plus writer I want to be. yeah. pharmacy makes you jack of all trades and master of many.

7. Funmi

August 5, 2013 at 10:50 am

I wanted to be a lawyer, my whole family said i dont talk enough and too shy. Atoke i love babies like you but i dont have any fear i will drop them””wink””.
    Right now am an accountant but hope to work with children some day. My retirement plan i quess. NICE WRITE UP AS USUAL.

8. nira

August 5, 2013 at 10:53 am

Wanted to be a pharmacist when I was a kid, grew up and grew out of it. Tried to study Law, didn’t get that admission, they gave me English Language instead.Now I work in PR and I love my job.

9. RIO

August 5, 2013 at 10:53 am

Let the comments begin ….Please bring it on…I had just pulled up a chair after making a pot of tea and putting a cake on the table.
    As for me, I hate teaching. I see myself gearing towards it, but I abhor it.

10. Anita....

August 5, 2013 at 10:55 am

I always wanted to be a Lawyer since i was a little girl.I am now in my final year in Uni and currently interning at a law firm,so its safe to say that i am well on my way to achieving my dream……but sometimes i dream of a job that will enable me travel the world and see different things and meet new people.
    However,sometimes when im really bored i fantasize of being a Classical pianist,musician,fashion designer or maybe an astronaut (i mean who wouldnt want to go to space?)……But at the end of the day what i REALLY want to be is someone who touches other peoples lives.

11. Andrea

August 5, 2013 at 10:58 am

growing up,i wanted to be a teacher..hehheehhe..i just loved the power i presumed they had back then and wished i could flog any1…My mum and dad wud cringe when i shouted TEACHER!! wenever a visitor would ask..
    Later,i wanted to be Genevieve..it was like she was a career option..Those days wer crazy…Was very headstrong so when dad wud smack me and push me to say “lawyer” or “doctor” and all those noble professions,i wud stamp and insist on being “Genevieve”
    Ended up studying English(didnt [email protected])tho i put in for Law,did my masters in Human Resource Mgt..Now,i work as an HR personnel in a top firm…The work is fun and the pay is good but i still wanna be GENEVIEVE!!#Justkidding

• Radiant

August 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Lol. Bless your heart, sweet. You really made me smile with your story.

12. masked

August 5, 2013 at 10:59 am

I think children of then, usually had what they wanted to be even if that dream may not be realized but this days ehn….2 small boys, a set of twins came to our house and we asked what they would like to be d first one said he would like to be an electrician and while we were still laughing hard, his brother said he would like to be a ”big boy”….haaa! what is that? Na so we hear am….Anyways i had always wanted to be a lawyer as a child but ehn….lips sealed…. i never liked reading long books….I’m still searching for a job that will give me maximum satisfaction.

13. natty

August 5, 2013 at 11:01 am

I wanted to be a doctor, but family changed my mind for me, so I ended up being an engineer and I really hate the course. I just completed an MBA and I really wish I had done a business degree instead of engineering

14. Neo

August 5, 2013 at 11:08 am

My first recollection is that i wanted to be a ninja! Thanks to Seven Lucky Kids, Cynthia Rothrock and the countless ninja movies i watched as a child. Later on i wanted to be a writer, my neighbour enjoyed many hand written and illustrated versions of The Crafty Tortoise and other stories. I sort of wandered into the study of law outside of any conscious decision. I tend to have varied passions at particular periods from hair styling to fashion designing to blogging so i have always felt the need to cater to my creative side, We’ll see how that goes.

My 6 year old niece once told me she wanted to be a painter, I said “oh how nice, i’d buy your paintings” She was quick to correct me that she meant the kind that paints houses! Her 4 year old brother said he wanted to be a chef so he could lick Maggi! Imagine.

• Chic

August 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Lol my little cousin wanted to be a waiter so he could eat customers left overs hahaha my aunt almost fainted!

15. MI MI

August 5, 2013 at 11:12 am

First I wanted to be a writer cos I loved story books as a child so I’d write stories as young as 7-8 years n give my mum. I knew they were nice cos she’d encourage me to write more…and i recently went through my childhood books n saw them n they didn’t seem terrible at all! Then in JS1 I wanted to be a homemaker because I loved home economics…lol…then I was watching TV and I saw some ambassadors at an international conference, I asked what I had to study to be an ambassador n I was told international relations…well I was hooked for a while. I wanted to be a lawyer for a very loooong time! But when I saw the volumes I had to read n it wasn’t about the reading cos I can read for Africa n understand, I was told I had to cram EVERYTHING, n I can’t cram a sentence to save my life! Well I’ve been a TV and music junkie all my life, eventually studied mass communication and am glad am in the media and entertainment industry now, I wouldn’t give it up for the world!

16. eniola

August 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

I wanted to be a lawyer and God knows i tried severally to get a law degree, but admissions was tough back then and couldn’t stand seeing my mates come home for breaks and mention 1st or 2nd semester anything again, when all that registered in my head was terms. arrrrghhhh! Now i work with an holding company and i’m happy. But i still wanna design fashion, so help me God. As for Law, i’ve outgrown the urge.

17. chelle

August 5, 2013 at 11:18 am

with each book and movie came a new career choice for me. i wanted to be a marine engineer, lawyer,etc at some point i concluded i wanted to be a model ” people no just gree me -babe no waste this body o”.

18. Anita....

August 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

lool @ becoming a chef a chef so he can lick maggi.Kids say the darndest things!

19. aiphee

August 5, 2013 at 11:27 am

Law is nd has always bin my 1st luv!frm watching al dose law series(cnt remember al dem names)plus law n order on hallmark channel as a child,twas so inspiring,but dad wsnt having any of dt,it was medicine or medicine.gained admission in futo to study microbiology,spent 1yr,dad persuaded me to leave,so i found mysef in one private uni currently a 500l medical student.i luv wat ïm doin nw no doubt but wen i get done wv house job,bye medicine!ïm goin to study my 1st luv.lucky me started skul @ a very young age.Atoke dis piece brought me to tears!nice one!

20. ze griott

August 5, 2013 at 11:36 am

ive always wanted to study pharmacy, although i would loved medicine but ive never had the stomach for blood and entrails. so I’m studying pharmacy now..but i don’t want to practice it at all. My heart’s in the arts and family is supportive so far. 🙂

21. Itse

August 5, 2013 at 11:47 am

I wanted to be a couple of things: writer with thanks to a book I read, then I changed to air hostess with thanks to Passenger 57 but settled for law before I finished primary school thanks to American movies… Today I work as a corporate lawyer, if I have to do it all over again, I’d choose law… crazy I know but seeing I don’t have to compulsorily practice (enjoyed my one year of litigation) and that I can easily move into other art professions: modelling, painting, writing… Of which I’ve being writing since JSS, am cool.

22. Abiola

August 5, 2013 at 11:48 am

i wanted to be a Banker cus back den i go to d bank alot and i liked d ladies with deir short skirts and gowns…lol, i got into d uniwhere i read finance but c me now today i am deviating into the admin/personnel world cus i realize i am more comfortable managing/dealing directly with people …

23. Amity

August 5, 2013 at 11:53 am

I wanted to be a Radio Presenter but my father made me change my mind with his repeated question of “HOW MANY RADIO OR TV STATIONS DO WE HAVE IN THIS COUNTRY”? I still owe him though, cause today am an ACCOUNTANT. but I talk way too much

24. ALEXIA

August 5, 2013 at 11:55 am

As a child i wanted to be a lawyer, the fact I had to argue any and every point just made it seem I was headed in the right direction, then I wanted to be a doctor cuz we had one neighbor that was a doctor, then I went back to wanting to be a lawyer in secondary skool and changed my mind right back when I decided plenty of reading wasn’t my thing, then I chose engineering cuz well, I liked calculating. I ended up studying accounting, hated it then I did Marketing for my Masters and I work as a sales director now. Love marketing cuz of how interrelated and important it is to every business so yea.

PS every body says i am a drama queen wonder if that id related to what I should be doing with my life

25. truesophie

August 5, 2013 at 11:56 am

I was actually hooked on been a pilot all my childhood thru teen but my mum wont hear of it ,says plane crashes nd wont even see my remains.later switched to medicine due to my quest of wanting to fix people. Presently fulfilling d dream as my 2nd degree.

26. jay

August 5, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I wanted to be a Lawyer,was denied admission severally,ended up with a bit of Communication Studies,PR and Public Administration.I now work in a Facility Mgt Company and my Job sucks*coversface* don’t know what am still doing here… Anyways I love kids and can’t wait to have mine,own a Crech and work with disadvantaged children and women

27. Dora the explorer

August 5, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I wanted to become a caterer sooo badly! Ironically I have zero patience for the kitchen!!! and Then I caught the Lawyer bug later in secondary school and ta-da!!! A lawyer I am.. 🙂

28. Autoprincess

August 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm

My 5 year old son says he wants to be a policeman. Whenever he says that, I have to bite my tongue to stop from screaming at him. Instead I tell him, “no problem, just make sure you complete your Masters first so you can join at the senior level”, he just stares at me like I am talking rubbish. There is is still time for him to change his mind, right? Please say yes!

• Colour Purple

August 6, 2013 at 3:43 pm

lmao!!!! pele

29. shhhhh

August 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I wanted to be a musician cos my friends back then when i was in the youth choir and my parents usually commend me when i sing. They said i have a wonderful voice and can go places with it. Today, i am professionally an educationist although working in an ICT company as a CSO. Life can be so dynamic and can push you to anywhere.

30. Berry Dakara

August 5, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I wanted to be a doctor. Until it hit me that I really don’t like sick people. It would just make me cry all the time, and worrying about death. It just wasn’t for me.

• Que

August 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm

hahahahahahahaaaaaaa @ ‘…Until it hit me that I really don’t like sick people..!

31. passivemistrez

August 5, 2013 at 12:37 pm

i wanted to be an aeronautical engineer,back then i loved doing daring tynz loved competing wt guys had no female frnds and always wanted sumtyn technical and i love naking designs although am still an engineer would av really preferred aeronautical engineering tanx 2 naija factor ended up studying agricultural and enviromental engineering

32. AW

August 5, 2013 at 12:41 pm

All this “I want to be, I want to be” reminds me of my daughter, when she was 5 (she is 8 now), I asked her what she wanted to be when she grows up? She said I want to be ME. I thought and still think that is a brilliant answer. I want to remain me, I don’t want to be something else or somebody else. Unfortunately, the world has robbed her of that innocent wisdom, now she wants to be an accountant, so that she can count money :D.

33. Confused girl

August 5, 2013 at 1:12 pm

At first I wanted to be a vet but my dad told me they don’t make money in Nigeria, then I wanted to be an Astronaut so I could float in space and walk on the moon but I spoke about it to a friend and it didn’t seem like a realistic profession. I then decided I wanted to become a pilot so I could travel to different countries and experience their cultures but the thought of having people’s lives in my hands scared me and a friend said I won’t see my family very often as I’ll be going from one country to the other. At that point I decided I’ll just become a chartered accountant like my parents so I went down the arts route as science students in my secondary school couldn’t do accounts for waec and there was no commercial class . i did math, Economics, Biology and Geography for A-levels. I considered studying Maths but I didn’t do further Maths so that was out of the question, considered studying biology but it was my only science and my parents didn’t see the point in studying that. I also considered studying Geology but my dad said he wouldn’t pay for me to study rocks. My sunday school teacher advised me to study economics as it is diverse and i can always become a chartered accountant by doing ICAN or ACCA. Graduated with a BSc in Economics last month but I didn’t particularly enjoy the course and I don’t really want to work in the finance world even though I’m really good with numbers. I considered becoming a teacher because I love children and they love me but i dont like marking and my parents think it doesnt pay well. I also considered becoming a musician as i play a unique instrumemt but i’m just going to keep music as a hobby/side hussle. I talk a lot and i’m quite good at putting the words from my mouth on paper, applied for a position at BN but that dream was squashed. I’m about to do my nysc and I still don’t know what I want to do, I wouldn’t mind media/entertainment because I’m extremely inquisitive, I’m a people person and I love to ask questions. This is probably too much information but I would appreciate any advice

34. Abiola

August 5, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I always wanted to be an engineer…at first it was to be an astronaut, but I remember mentioning it to my friends in JS1, and they were all like whaaat? And there and then, I changed my mind….silly me.
    Although, when I wrote SAT, I actually applied to study aeronautic engineering at 1 of the colleges I applied to…..cos I still had a little flame left.
    Oh well, years down the line, I am an engineer, no regrets, I loove being an engineer. But I’ve realized that you can be whatever you want to be, most important to me now is what am I contributing to the world.

35. DOO

August 5, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Law was the only profession I fell in love with as a child. Though the pay may not match the hours, I am living my childhood dreams now.

36. Que

August 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm

My earliest thought of what I wanted to be was to be a bad ass business woman who ran her world n the world around her- thanks to seeing Emma Hart in Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford…. I didn’t have a name for what business she did but I knew what it looked like…She was a Retail queen with a massive department store and investments in Art and Real Estate Developments… Over 2 Decades Later post Estate Mgt/Project Mgt and Fashion Design study; several negotiations with parents and occasional self doubt, I’ve finally started my own fashion design and accessories retail business and plan to build into a multi-chain department store before I rest. Add to dat owning a fashion school…and on the other hand investing in prime retail ppty developments just seems natural for me… I think I got my foot in Emma’s door, I don’t know how long it will all be- but I got d rest of my life to make it happen- cos I ain’t shifting!

I rily just remember anytime this conversation bout career n all came up thru primary skool, secondary n uni, I was never clear on what I wanted to do, but I was ALWAYS clear on what I WASN’T going to do and they included- Accounting/Banking; Oil industry; Medicine; Law; Journalism!!! Way to restrictive for my personality. On some days I felt I had the crime investigative genes and wondered what being an intelligence agent might be like…. But no feeling compares to being in the market- bargaining and sourcing special items; or creating and having people buying into your vision of beauty….engaging with all sorts of people and just watching things that often fall apart, fall right back together and better… I don’t fear Mondays, its just another day, and I’m happy everyday even when things aren’t going according to plan.

37. TA

August 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Atoke,nice article as always. Kudos! We plenty wey wan be lawyers as children LOL! …well,today i work in a multinational as a media specialist. I still love the Law Profession though. 😉

38. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

August 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I was quite a willful child. I was the only child whose JAMB form my father filled. I come from a family of 14 doctors and 4 Professors of Medicine one of whom is an emeritus Professor, but for my dad, it was either law or medicine. After winning a debate at the church, the judges separately went to my father and told him I must study Law. For 5 years I was studying to get a degree. When I got to the Law School, I decided this was my round. I told myself I was in Law School not because of my dad, but because of me. As a result there’s no one from that set in that Campus who does not remember me. I would like to say that I went out in blazing glory, but that could I mean I died in the end. What I mean is that I shone all through.

I often look back and think what course would I have chosen and I know for sure that sometimes daddy and church members daddy best.

I have always loved the stage too. The few times I got on it felt like I had magic in my hands and could be anything or any one. No matter how low I feel, give me a script, I don’t need a grand audience. The fire always starts from under my belly, and then I come truly alive.

39. chinco

August 5, 2013 at 2:44 pm

As a kid, I didn’t know what I wanted 2 be, I was always confused when other kids were so sure. In SS2, at 14, I learnt about physiotherapy and it sounded so cool, I filled it as my 1st choice, University of Ibadan and now I’m practicing that and loving it. By the way my folks wanted me 2 study medicine like my sister but I hated how tired she always looked and the sight of body fluids, eventually they caved.

40. Abana

August 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Banker, pediatrician but by 15 settled on law. Studied English at university, went abroad to do my LLB. Now doing my LLM, gonna be a corporate lawyer. I looooove law. HOWEVER, I wish I had stuck with sciences. I would have done aeronautical engineering and gone to flying school afterwards. I want to fly a plane so badly. My dream job would be one that takes me to various countries cos I love flying and love airports. lol. Is it too late to become a pilot?

41. D.C

August 5, 2013 at 3:46 pm

nice piece Atoke , when I was a child I had no what I wanted to be, no dream no career because I wanted the future to decide for me and besides nobody asked me they all pushed their opinion without asking what I think, some said lawyer cause I talk a lot and argue , another said aeronautic engineer ,my phobia for height no get part 2 then so that makes me laugh.at a point when I couldn’t take any longer and I wanted a dream so i realize I loved archaeology(I was told there its not profitable and no old stuffs to see in naija) ,then I loved writing stories and composing music too .so after writing my exam and making it to science class I wanted to study anything that doesn’t require calculation (microbiology or medicine) cause I love biology, chemistry managed to pass physics and maths. FF years later with years and millions spent I just love the medical Institution , you can make your diagnoses just with peoples history and all.i know I made the right choice for myself. to me I will let my kids grow up and understand what all this courses are about then let them decide.

42. OmoMakun

August 5, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I remember when i told my father i wanted to study Psychology.. He quickly and gently discouraged me . To be honest i didn’t know why i wanted to study that in the first place. Then i thought maybe i could be a diplomat, but then the thought of having a husband and kids and dragging them from country to country I felt it wasn’t proper for a woman to do that kind of job. I over-thought the whole thing till it died. Theatre Arts crossed my mind, but I wanted to make money as soon as a graduated…so that died too…lol!

The funny thing is growing up i never knew what I wanted to be, i always avoided the question.
    At the end of the day I studied Accounting and Information Systems in school, no regrets there at all. I figured out much later i liked numbers even though i struggled with mathematics growing up. Studied Information systems cause we live in a compterized world….what I learnt in school is still helping me today

43. Eyak

August 5, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I alternatively wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher. After going through all the acada stress, I am finally teaching law in one of our Naija universities :)! Living my dream I suppose. I initially got admission to study History and International Studies. I didn’t like it but I couldn’t face a year at home twiddling my thumbs. On departmental screening day, I walked into my (then) HOD’s office and told him I was using the department as a stepping stone and intended switching to law at the earliest available opportunity. Two years later, I transferred to Faculty of Law and haven’t looked back since. It was a long and hard battle getting the University Senate’s approval for my faculty transfer but glory to God, here I am. Law lecturer (in the same University) and loving my job. I never would have had the fulfilment I have today if I didn’t follow my dream. I think the little girl I was would approve of the big (lawyer) girl I am today :)!

44. Suyacrush

August 5, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I wanted to be a designer, still want to be a designer. I wanted to write that BOOK, still want to write that BOOK. I have a bucket list filled up to the max …

45. beezprof

August 6, 2013 at 2:07 am

Originally and genuinely wanted to be an Astronomer/Astrophysicist. The idea of travelling to the moon and what not was quite fascinating as a child. Then reality (family) started to set in and with mom and uncles in the medical field, i was convinced (hypnotised) that i wanted to be a Medical Doctor. Fast forward some more, the thought of losing a patient (plus the pungent hospital smell) just wouldn’t cut it, next up was Engineering. It was a choice between Chemical and Petroleum but Chemical won as it seemed more interesting.
    Now a Chemical Engineering and having worked in a top Engineering firm, decided i still wanted to be Dr (academic this time) and also wanted to be more of a scientist than an Engineer (worst decision ever). Currently in the 3rd year of my Ph.D and having done internships with 2 leading Pharmaceutical companies, i have now realised there’s absolutely nothing interesting about Science so once i bag that Doctorate (next year by God’s grace), i shall return to my Engineering field. Or just get out this Science/Engineering world altogether and go business since my husband and i just started our business anyway.

If all else fails, i still have interior decorator, performance artist (don’t ask) and writer on my list of careers to explore.

46. A-z

August 6, 2013 at 12:29 pm

As a kid, if u had asked me i think it was an astronaut, but then fast forward the clock, I qualified as a civil engineer, then changed, qualified in management, change again, even qualified as an accountant surprisingly though I work in mortgage underwriting. But if u ask me now, I just want to be “HAPPY” lol

47. Tunrayo A.

August 6, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I wanted to be a newscaster but I’m currently studying International Relations

48. Zayt

August 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Atoke thanks for this piece! Growing up, I wanted to be a nursery school teacher. Coz it looked like fun teaching kids and I will come home and practice on my younger siblings however my mum didn’t think it was good enough. Then I secretly wanted to be a househelp*coversface* just sit @ home, watch movies, wash plates and cook. However when I started dressing like them (t-shirt and wrapper) and eating and talking like them my sister almost killed me. I changed my mind again. Then I wanted to be a doctor and save lives and name my hospital after my mum. But I wasn’t good with chemistry so I switched to social science class and loved my economics teacher so much. I decided I was gonna study economics so I can work in finance. 2day I have a bsc and msc in economics but I’m not practicing as I work in the telecoms industry and my dept has nothing to do with econs or finance.

49. Adeyinka

August 22, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I wanted to be a lawyer as a child and that also stemmed from the fact that I was a talkative, I loved to read anything readable and was in Love with the wigs and gown.

fast forward 20yrs later, I studied Yoruba and Linguistics, went for Masters in Peace and Conflict Studies armed with a die hard passion in cooking, Definitely, I”ll end up in the food biz.

50. oj

August 6, 2014 at 3:12 pm

i wanted to be a teacher because i love teaching. had a chalk board at home and would gather my younger ones and my neighbour’s children and teach them. next wanted to be a secretary because i imagined back then that i would be picking calls. (lol). Eventually studied computer engineering, which i loved and now a network support engineer. bbut my mum says she wont be surprised if i quit my job and do something else like lecturing (secret fantasy but not sure i want to read for masters and PhD)