News

Introducing the New Girl! Meet “Moments with Mo” Co-Host Bolanle Olukanni

Onos

After a very thorough and meticulous search for a co-host, CEO, Mo Abudu, found herself two very talented and vibrant co-hosts for her acclaimed talk show, “Moments with Mo”. By way of her popularity from being the main host of M-Net’s “53 Extra”, we’ve all grown to know and love the effervescent Dolapo Oni. Now, it’s time to meet the second co-host of the new “Moments with Mo” – Bolanle Olukanni.

Bolanle Moments With Mo - July 2013 - BellaNaija (3)

Bolanle Olukanni is a very multi-faceted talent in her field, having graduated from Loyola University, Chicago, with a double degree –  Bachelors of Arts in both Communications and International Studies. Having lived in various parts of the world – Nigeria, Israel, Kenya and the USA, Bolanle Olukanni decided to start a very helpful blog while she was in school. The blog was called “International Students- A Guide to Life in America” and aimed at “giving advice to the International Student in America.”

Bold and passionate in her chosen fields, she was also a National Qualifier for Competitive Monologue Acting in America, a study in the power of the human voice through social action inspired monologues. In May 2010, while still in school, she won the Loyola University Chicago Kale Williams Award for Exceptional Work in Promoting Human Rights and Social Justice.

Bolanle Moments With Mo - July 2013 - BellaNaija (2)

Bolanle graduated from university in 2011 and decided to work a little in the US before returning home to Nigeria for her NYSC. In that period, she became a co-founder of ‘Girls For The Future’, which is an empowerment training workshop which focuses on giving aid to Nigerian girls through education.

Being a co-Host on “Moments with Mo” is no doubt a great platform for a passionate voice to be heard through inspiring TV and with her favourite saying being – “No one is powerless; each person has their own voice”, it’s no wonder she vied for the opportunity. But, its not all work and no play for Bolanle, in her free time, she loves writing poetry, reading and making Black Tea with Lemon.

“I look forward to being part of this new and exciting season in Television. It’s a privilege to have emerged as a finalist in the keenly contested Search. It’s even a greater privilege to be part of Moments with Mo and the EbonyLife TV movement.”

We wish her all the best in her future endeavours and hope to see more of her on our TV screens.

Mo Abudu Bolanle Olukanni Dolapo Oni (1) Mo Abudu Bolanle Olukanni Dolapo Oni (2)

Photo Credit: BellaNaija | Ebonylifetv

"What do you really do for a living any way?", "Your face looks familiar. Was it on TV?" These questions follow me around everyday. Why don't you join them.Instagram | Twitter: @Onos_

1. Godslove22

August 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Nice…Hope the show go’s well

• DREAL

August 2, 2013 at 8:31 am

GO’S? LOLZZZ for dayzzz

2. kind anon

August 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm

nice!

3. olu

August 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I knew from day one that she was going to get the role. Go girl!

4. X- Factor

August 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Good Pedigree…Excellent Prospects…

5. M.h

August 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Peeps wey go naija skools no get chance 4 entertainment,communication jobs again oooo! We need to step up our education system and we need to do more as individuals..am happy 4 her

6. oddy

August 1, 2013 at 4:59 pm

It seems that one has to school abroad to be on TV this days…….nawa oh

7. Dearie

August 1, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I just fell in love with her by just reading the little profile up there. Well done! Best of luck!

@M.h, well, that’s the sad reality. Those who schooled abroad + very good British/American accent are at an advantage over those with no accents/schooled here. But I’m still for ‘Speak good English’ and you’ll be spotted – once it’s your time.

• Idak

August 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Na that accent thing put me off Lagos radio stations.
      Meanwhile no be the same British school people like Wana Wana go?

• i no send

August 1, 2013 at 6:17 pm

abi o…we that don’t have any accent real or imagined are in deep unemployment sh****

• okayyy

August 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Definietly, I am a recruiter for a well respected oil and gas company and we had many UK and US graduates and Nigerian graduates and when it came down to hiring accent or schooling abroad had nothing to do with hiring. Do you have the skills, are you employable, shine during your interview with your intelligence and you are good to go. So please dont assume that if you dont have the foreign ‘accent’ you are at a loss. Its about your skills and experience and innovative ways.

• Pretty

August 2, 2013 at 8:22 am

Thank you ooooooooooh. Experience matters tooooooooooo

• Dora the explorer

August 2, 2013 at 9:56 am

that is a different field!!! in media industry they like the accent no doubt..

• Yinkz

August 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Please, I need a job in the Oil & Gas Industry, pls send me ur email so I can be recruited too. Thank you

• Yinkz

August 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Please, I need a job in the Oil & Gas Industry, pls send me ur email so I can forward my resume and maybe, I may be recruited too. Thank you

• Mariaah

August 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I think it has to do with the industry. I’ve had a way of speaking since I was little even though I went to public school so, people always said to my parents “she ll be a good lawyer, she speaks well” or “let her study broadcasting, she can speak English”.. By age 9, I wanted to be an Engineer but now I work in the IT industry. People still think I should work on radio. Most Nigerians automatically think “phonetic/funny accent” = radio voice but NO! Its not. Sometimes the broadcaster disconnects from the listener because of those weird accents. Take Ciana of HotFM Abj, her accent!!! 🙁 Once the music stops I’m off..

Meanwhile, #SharpMan/Woman Yinkz I see you.. 😀

8. billionaire in grace

August 1, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Very nice

9. mo

August 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm

U don’t need to school abroad.. u just need to speak fluently that’s all. Bola congrats

10. Olulu

August 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm

hmmm……….writes poetry…….hmmmmmm…..!!!

11. nomad

August 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Congrats. Sorry I found it amusing that in her free time she loves… making Black Tea with Lemon.

A little game now

In my free time, I love making Garri with Water and Epa and some Peak Milk

• zsa zsa

August 1, 2013 at 7:35 pm

lai lai o, your own does not sound posh like black tea and lemon…sorry boo boo 🙂

• OK

August 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm

LOL…my own is cocoyam and oil…oh, topped with a sprinkling of salt and ground pepper.

12. okayyy

August 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm

congrats to her!

13. Onye

August 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm

She only chose yoruba girls then?

• olu

August 1, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Good God! are you for real? The only comment you have on this article is that the co-hosts are yoruba? Thank you for reminding me, it didn’t occur to me until you mentioned it.
      And we wonder why Nigeria is the way it is?????????? Tribalists everywhere!

14. hot momma of two totally cool tots

August 1, 2013 at 6:53 pm

thanks olu for your comment. na wa this naija peeps who didn’t even see the civil war, its amazing this is how a young person is thinking. she chose co hosts who can travel out of the country at short notice without visa issues not tribe abeg. Ps the ladies look beautiful on set joh. a perfect fit!!!

15. Who Knew

August 1, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Bolanle is a really down-to earth and sensible chick. Congrats girl! More grease to your elbow

16. Ada

August 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm

lol @ the Yoruba post, people eh!

cleanlivingnetwork.blogspot.com/

17. oyin

August 1, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Bolanle! well done girl.
    insider info – her older sister is married to Cobhams Asuquo

18. http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

August 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Nice, can’t wait to watch!

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

19. Sel

August 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hi Bella Naija, can I have the actual link to her blog? Been looking for it with the information given above but no results. Thank you

BellaNaija.com

August 1, 2013 at 7:44 pm

internationalstudentsinamerica.wordpress.com/

• Sel

August 1, 2013 at 11:13 pm

20. Idak

August 1, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I see your point but you have to accept that the accent seems to be making a difference in the entertainment industry.that is an obvious fact.
    Back to your experience as an oil and gas recruiter,I doubt anyone is saying folks are being recruited solely for their foreign degrees. The truth is that recruiters take second look based on the school on the resume.when the opportunities are less than the supply,you have to apply a form of signaling to stand out. Its is not a Nigerian problem,it is a global issue.since you can’t interview everyone,you have to anticipate that a degree from LBS(not Lagos business school o!) or Stanford signals to a better quality of applicant than that with a business degree from Osun State University. It might not be that is the feasible way of running the lot. Same reason why the British cabinet is filled with lads from Eton and Oxbridge and not fellows from University of Hull or Portsmouth.

• ko matter

August 2, 2013 at 2:22 am

BN really needs to include a like button. I would have liked your comment 10times ! Very well said

• Cat on a hot tin roof

August 2, 2013 at 11:00 am

The painful thing about your whole write-up is that I went to University of Portmouth. Whhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy. Lol

• Bleed blue

August 2, 2013 at 11:28 am

Choi! Pele oh…

• Idak

August 2, 2013 at 11:50 am

No vex too much 🙂 . The school you go no fit define you. I sure say you better pass some people wey go Wharton for Pennsylvania

• Mariaah

August 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Please tell them!! I was watching a british movie this week and I saw kids in those Posh, private schools in their plaid/checkered uniforms and I was like “Naa, my babies must do this”. I mean see Princess Kate and Prince William for instance, its not like her folks are so elite like that oo but cos of the secondary school she went to, she easily gained admission to St Andrews then she and the Prince crossed paths..

21. MT

August 1, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Bolanle doing big things! Best of luck dear!!!

22. Beauty

August 1, 2013 at 8:32 pm

The only thing i can see 4rm the pictures are the hair’s they have on, looking so original Brazilian, Indian, Peruvian hair saving Naija babes since 20**

23. Beauty

August 1, 2013 at 8:34 pm

is the hair*

24. Kinba

August 1, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Idak you’ve said it all

25. Miss Pepeye

August 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm

But the thing with the forced foreign accents that a lot of these people put on (especially the presenters on Radio Stations in Lagos and Abuja) is that its never consistent and honestly sounds more like a cross between Filipino-Vietnamese-Irish accents and DEFINITELY not the American/British/Canadian accents that we all know. The radio presenters even put ‘Rs’ where there aren’t any. I’m like “What the…..?”

26. truth

August 1, 2013 at 11:22 pm

yes she chose only yoruba people ! how will you notice?? anyways mo mo!! mo abudu mo abudu i hail oo hehehehe ..

27. inosend

August 2, 2013 at 12:17 am

truth be told if u dont have an American or British accent your chances are slimt…….i saw girls who did better than this babe during the mo search (yes i watched every episode) but didn’t have an accent tho they spoke well…good luck to her tho

28. nene

August 2, 2013 at 12:57 am

so ebonylifetv showcases africa with all these nonsense accents and fake mannerisms. mo abudu more grease to ur elbows oh. i hope ur dreams come true. and like someone said, almost everyone there seems t be yoruba. watvea i ain’t watching tho cuz her hosts are boring and not captivating enough e.g ebuka, banky, tiwa, dolapo are all dull.

29. fantasy

August 2, 2013 at 7:27 am

Seen the recent clips, abeg its dry! The Bolanle babe is too stiff ! All their stuff luk so unreal and all acted up. She presents like if “i laff too much aunty Mo wld beat me”.. She dare not even call Mo by her name even on set!!! smh

30. Idak

August 2, 2013 at 7:44 am

My problem with this accent thing is that after formative years (say up to 8 years), It is almost impossible to acquire an accent even if you spend decades in a foreign
    country. So it is difficult to take fellow serious when they come back with an accent after a three year course after secondary school. There is something phony and fake about the person that just can’t be wished away by labeling the observers as haters. We even have radio presenters acquired accents after holidaying in the UK a few times. You expect such persons to be taken serious?

• Non professional opinion

August 2, 2013 at 2:05 pm

This isn’t entirely true, because I know people who have lived in the uk for 20 years with no discernible foné, and those who developed a twang in 2 years. Everyone is different.
      Also you are not taking motivation into consideration. If a foreign accent was one of the things you went abroad to acquire, you will open your ears well.
      My naija accent is my ” fake” accent because I acquired it on short stays and from Nollywood, but despite sounding ridiculous no-one ever complains when I use that.
      That being said, for an African channel, there is too much foné on ebony life.

• Idak

August 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm

A 20 year old woman who developed an accent after spending 2 years in America? I refuse to believe that. You know some some practice make so much perfect? See folks form this thing so much that they even speak it in their dreams.

31. Lynxx & Emma Nyra are Nigeria wackest artist alive!

August 2, 2013 at 7:49 am

Naija I hail ooooooOooooooooooo

32. she

August 2, 2013 at 8:28 am

@nene clap for your self!! you that is not boring please shw us your work so we can compare. Like the saying goes… **empty barrels… please complete it yourself!!. We should all learn to be supportive of other people’s hustle. atleast they are making an effort at earning a honest livng.

33. Estelle

August 2, 2013 at 9:37 am

lets just be happy for d babe and wish her well..what’s with all dis accents. foreign degree etc God please I use her as a point of contact let my own job locate me dis month in Jesus name …Amen

• okayyy

August 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm

AMENNN 🙂

34. theres a lot of power and energy in those 3 women

35. cinderella

August 7, 2013 at 8:37 pm

so many badbelle people,the entire ebony live crew is on point and bolanle rocks.

36. max

October 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

spot on…

37. lovestar

November 8, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Africans pls always put africa first. Portrail africa in everytin. All entertainment industries are gradually selling out our 9ja scent n spraying on us foriegn perfumes. I believe if we don’t take our 9ja accent serious as Nigerians who will? I love Mo. but she nid 2 show 9ja in Ebony pls… Muah

38. perese

November 21, 2014 at 7:50 pm

love her level of maturity.she’s the one to watch!