News

Patriotism on a Fashionable Level! Would you Rock these Nigeria Shaped Handbags?

Hesey Designs Nigeria Inspired Bag - BellaNaija - October 2013 (3)Hi BN Stylistas! I have a questions for you.

Would you let the patriotic fashionista in you out and rock this Nigeria inspired handbag?

Nigerian accessories label, Hesey Designs, recently released a range of handbags titled the Independence Piece. The bags are inspired by the shape of Nigeria and are dedicated to its 53rd Independence day.

The designs showcase a variety of different colours in ankara fabrics and have been created with the spirit of unity and love for Nigeria.

So, let’s hear it. Would you rock this Nigeria shaped handbag?

Hesey Designs Nigeria Inspired Bag - BellaNaija - October 2013 (2) Hesey Designs Nigeria Inspired Bag - BellaNaija - October 2013 (1) Hesey Designs Nigeria Inspired Bag - BellaNaija - October 2013 (4)

Just in case you would, you can get more information by visiting the Hesey Designs at www.heseydesign.com | Email them at [email protected] | Like their page on Facebook www.facebook.com/heseyclothing

• Hian!

October 13, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Hi BN, the last time you guys posted something about Hesey designs, they were offering one BN reader a chance to win a free bag, can you please ask them if they ever gave out that bag? I understand that perhaps they didn’t get as many responses as they expected, but that is a risk you have to take with this “promotions” and it is totally wrong (as an organization and a growing business) to commit to something and not follow through on such commitments. If such a young business has no integrity now, I wonder how you will be when (or if) you eventually become big, integrity is critical to success.
      And perhaps BN team, a follow up on these supposed gifts and promotions you post/advocate for would be good. And please post my comment. Thanks

• Hian!

October 13, 2013 at 11:54 pm

And yeah, it’s painment. Nobody came to you to ask you for free stuff, you voluntarily, of your own free will said people should follow you on Twitter and facebook and then go to your blog, Iif people took out the time to do all that , the least you can do is tell them why you’re cancelling the promo or postponing it. It is just irresponsible and kinda crass to jus keep mute and literally say nothing about it anymore. Very bad portrayal of your biz.
      And it’s just wrong , if you need publicity you shoild have done a regular sponsored content with BN and not promised anything nobody would have shot you.
      Ok, rant over.
      BN you guys should actually try and get her to send in an explanation and/or apology for this.

• Hesey

October 14, 2013 at 11:02 am

Hi..there was a winner which we announced on our page ‘Laura Mgbemere’ and she has been given her prize. We wont do a giveaway if we dont intend giving out the bag. That it wasnt announced on bella does not mean we didnt give it out. I guess i would have to do a proper post to announce all giveway winners. Thanks for letting us know how you feel.

• Hian!

October 14, 2013 at 11:46 am

Okay, thanks for responding sha, but maybe a comment on the post itself would have been good.

• Me

October 14, 2013 at 11:58 am

We posted the winner on our facebook page, I guess we were wrong not posting on blog or sending it to bella. We so sorry about that…next time it would be done.

1. X Factor

October 12, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Nice One!

2. Dee-USA

October 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I’m sure someone would’ve corrected you on “questions.” But FYI, when you say “variety,” it already implies more than a couple of something. So a variety of colors obviously means different colors. Saying “a variety of different colors” is basically redundant.

My comment would probably not be posted, but on the chance it is, my response is, No. I won’t rock them. Besides it being quite an ugly shape to lug around on your body, I’m not down with supporting anything that was created to celebrate our independence given the state of things in Nigeria and our leaders obvious apathy in improving it.

• Akpeno

October 12, 2013 at 4:43 pm

LIKE! Kpom Qwem!

• emmy

October 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm

ehhmmm….my sister, I think your first paragraph wasn’t really necessary as there is absolutely nothing wrong with how the writer used “variety”. He/she was being very specific as” the bags” could either vary in sizes,shapes or color. Just a thought though.

• Dee-USA

October 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm

You are right. It could have been a variety of shapes, textures, prints…whatever and the concept would remain the same. A variety means many of something. A variety of colors means many colors. Are there a variety of THE SAME colors? I think not. I don’t want to make it a big deal. As a writer, I’m just trying to guide some of the writers on this site who don’t have the professional experience. I acknowledge the questions was probably a simple mistake, but it looks terrible because it’s in the lead. You sir/lady are forcing me to turn it into a big deal by coming to readdress my comment.

• Me

October 14, 2013 at 11:46 am

And what have u done to make Nigeria better?

3. Hausa Girl in Texas

October 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Before the negative comments
    Start pouring in. It’s very nice
    And creative.

4. estherqueen

October 12, 2013 at 3:26 pm

It’s definately a nice concept

• stacie

October 12, 2013 at 4:55 pm

arrrggh… its “DEFINITELY”!!!

• Iris

October 14, 2013 at 5:50 am

LOL that’s one of my pet peeves too.

5. Teddy Bear

October 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I would.

6. OK

October 12, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Nope

7. Ib

October 12, 2013 at 4:37 pm

8. Wale

October 12, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Creative but a bit tacky. I won’t rock it because I am not proud of Nigeria as a country. When the country improves then maybe I would want to be associated with it. Naija isn’t rocking at the moment. Sorry 🙁

• lily

October 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm

every country started from somewhere, they didn’t just spring up to be wat they are today. the fact that it is falling doesn’t mean it wouldn’t rise up again. if u feel Nigeria is bad, changing it starts with u, ur actions, ur thought and the impact u make. start from ursef .

9. elleven45

October 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Well i mean it looks nice

Meanwhile we’re back on elleven45.blogspot.com

10. Silvia

October 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Somehow I agree with dee usa, the bags are nice, but I cnt rock it. My problem with naija is that we keep sweeping all our negative sides under the carpet, but considering the state of this nation, we shld be making stuffs that can pass messages to our leaders. I like the bags, but if it was even a tang top that has a logo like’be better leader, girl not bride, no more plane crash, and if these logos go with the nigeria logo, then I will rock it!!.no offense to the designer,just sayin how I feel.

11. t.c

October 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I definitely would..

12. Chic

October 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Nice concept but it is so awkwardly shaped so NO

13. Banke

October 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I think it’s a fantastic idea and ll definitely rock it. Ppl saying they won’t bcos of the current state of Nigeria… One thing is Nigeria can never grow if we all keep saying negative things about it. In fact, we in a way contribute to its lack of growth with the negative things we say.

Nigeria is like a bad child, you can’t say because a child is bad you ll leave him/her to his own course… If truly you care for that child, you ll pray for him, encourage him when he’s done well, show your dismay at his wrong and continue to love him. What i’m saying in essence is let’s celebrate our country no matter the situation. It is through our unity that Nigeria can get the revolution it needs.

My name is Banke, I’m a lover of Nigeria my country and I promise to be part of the change she needs starting with the things I say about her.

• lily

October 12, 2013 at 9:24 pm

thank u, make me feel u woudnt b like sum ppl that will go 2 a diff country and deny their motherland

• yemi

October 13, 2013 at 12:49 pm

your head is there. when I read those comments, I wondered how dumb we can be and still keep breathing . it makes no sense, these are people who have decided to do something commendable in Nigeria in spite o the state of the nation and yet some people feel its better we just fold our hands and watch the nation ruin. the other person say in things about passing messages to those in authority has a point and its a nice idea it is not enough reason to refuse to buy the bags and support a growing business. if we want to take that direction, everyone selling garri, recharge card,sachet water, cab drivers should have a message on it for our leaders. number one thing is that we have to understand people have different areas of passion and someone shouldn’t be berated if they don’t feel as much as u feel about something and it doesn’t mean they don’t support you. so the point is for us to decide to buy the bags if u like it and u can afford it but u can let it pass if its not appealing to u, but to refuse to buy because u feel Nigeria is terrible place makes u a part of our problem and you may be better away from the country and keep quiet and let the people that choose to contribute do what they want.

• Dee-USA

October 13, 2013 at 6:36 pm

You did read that the bags were inspired by Nigeria’s recent Independence celebration right? The garri sellers and the likes are selling their wares to earn a living directly. Rest assured, if I found someone selling garri primarily in honor of celebrating Nigeria’s independence, I wouldn’t buy it either.

Some of the comments I’ve read here remind me of why Nigeria is in a state of complacency. Too much pride. We complain when outsiders criticize us, because God forbid a foreigner tell “us” how to govern ourselves. We complain when our citizens criticize the government because, according to some comments, we are still a young nation with room to grow. Here’s the bottom line…every country has room for growth. Even the most powerful countries constantly explore ways to become more dependent on their own local resources (E.G. the U.S. continuous effort to discover oil in America. You need to stop making excuses for the shoddy government in place. It’s the reason these politicians keep pocketing the country’s money, because they know people are not expecting any growth or improvements for decades. So why bother doing anything, let’s let those around at that time take care of things.

The fact that we are relatively young compared to most developed nations isn’t an excuse for not having basic amenities like electricity, decent health facilities and access to education. We have produced some of the world’s most brilliant minds, many of them educated on the previously competitive educational system that existed in Nigeria. I listen to speeches from our early leaders and marvel at how eloquent they were. Now we have leaders who could barely pass a secondary school level exam, much less a university’s. We are relatively as old as Ghana, but the country has made significant improvements and changes that has created economic growth. Now instead of Nigerian’s creating “Ghana Must Go” bags to chase away the thousands of Ghanaians who once flooded our nation looking for economic opportunities in the ’80s and early ’90s, we are being chased away by “the Ghollywood industry” who wants Nollywood to pay for the right to shoot movies in Ghana. Our students are rushing to Ghana’s universities to avoid the ubiquitous strikes that have plagued our university system.

I am still, and will always remain, a Nigerian, and it is exactly why I’ve earned the right to be critical about our current state. We should be a developed country, but we are living like a third world country while we come here and celebrate some of the very people who have siphoned the country’s wealth.

14. intheoverseas

October 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Hmm… the bag looks like after weeks of rocking it will change shape to Bulgaria

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 12, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Chei, una get bad mouth oh…

• OK

October 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm

LOL…impractical design unless of course it’s carved out of wood.

15. mujer casada

October 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm

creative but I can see it looking nicer in a clutch size.

• zeee

October 12, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Exactly!

16. rubies

October 12, 2013 at 6:34 pm

i will. lovely

17. fravian

October 12, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Lmao……Bulgaria ΐƨ too far. Republic of Benin i guess.
    Nice craetivity. 9ja bag….uhn cnt wait 2c Ð ear-ring n oda accessories .
    Well done n keep up it up.

18. Deedee

October 12, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Nice concept

19. Strawberrycandy

October 12, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Yep! I’d rock those…

20. FAR

October 13, 2013 at 12:31 am

win one of these bags at iamfar.com

21. @ajiriavae

October 13, 2013 at 11:19 am

The bags need chics with a bit of an eclectic edge to rock them properly. I am looking forward to see who has what it takes to do them justice. In fact, I need to see a stylist who has the confidence to put this in a shoot for a big publication.

22. mof

October 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm

why don’t you just make your own…gosh! appreciate don’t hate..

23. Amh

October 14, 2013 at 3:48 am

Mba I no fit rock am. Nice concept though. Very imaginative. But kudos to nija with all our jagajaga behavior n ole politicians am proud to be a Nigerian. Nija for life. All other African countries look up to us in all standards. N our film I dusty is o much appreciated all over d world where blacks are and our music. I salute my county o jasre, except for bad pole in govt. I pray one day nija will excel again n become a land of abundance and joy.

24. paloma

October 14, 2013 at 11:21 am

gosh!!! donno we hv so many grammarians in Nigeria….. must there be always condemnation????

• Ada Nnewi

November 6, 2013 at 11:25 am

Your type of English is the reason why so many “grammarians” (in your own words) exist in Nigeria. Maybe when we write more things in Proper English, it would inspire you to brush up on your “Grammar”.