News

Do it Like a True Fashionista! Check Out 8 Fab Tips for Stylish Holiday Packing

Awed By Monica How to Pack for a Stylish Holiday - BellaNaija - November 2013006Hi everyone! Now, I know it’s Monday, but as a super stylish woman, you can never start packing too early or be over prepared.

Sometimes it is super hard to pack, especially when you are packing for a fashion event. Your luggage is really determined by how many days you are traveling for. In my case I packed for a fashion and beauty blogger event with Lucky Magazine, so making sure I had the right pieces was crucial. You don’t have to be attending a jam-packed fashion event to use my tips, as long as you want to look stylish and pack light, this is for you.

Here are some quick tips on how to pack for a short trip that requires you looking totally stylish every minute of the trip.

For a 2-3 Day Trip

1. Determine how many outfits you will need according to the number of events you will attend on the trip. It is always better to have complete outfits already laid out before you start packing. With this you know how many days you have for the trip and can pack accordingly.

2. There is a 50/50 chance that you will lose your luggage, so make sure you can fit everything into a carry-on suitcase. You can never be too certain when it comes to misplaced luggage so why not just save yourself the worry and pack a small enough bag that you can carry with you on-board.

3. If your event(s) require a variety of different style handbags, try to pack bags that lay flat. Also make sure your travel purse can fit into another bag. Try utilizing the outside pockets of your travel handbag for travel documents and items you will need easy access to.Awed By Monica How to Pack for a Stylish Holiday - BellaNaija - November 2013004

4. Pick a maximum of 4 shoes; a comfortable travel pair, a party pair, and two pairs that can transition from day to night. This way you are never caught unawares.Awed By Monica How to Pack for a Stylish Holiday - BellaNaija - November 2013002

5. Wear the same pieces in different ways. It is easy to make the same item look totally different. You can achieve this with a pair of jeans that can be rolled up, a trench coat etc.

6. Bring sample sizes of all your favorite beauty items, this way you save a ton of space, and avoid check-in luggage. Awed By Monica How to Pack for a Stylish Holiday - BellaNaija - November 2013005

7. Try on your outfits prior to your trip, that way you will ensure everything fits you, no damages, and the different items all work together.

8. Lastly create a list of all the items that will accompany you. This way you don’t forget anything. Make a checklist and check off every item that enters you suitcase. Repeat this step on your trip, and when you are on your way back so you don’t leave anything behind.

For my trip, I successfully packed; six outfits, four shoes, three bags (including 2 structured bags), and all my toiletries into my carry-on.Awed By Monica How to Pack for a Stylish Holiday - BellaNaija - November 2013001

There you have it lovelies, the fashionista’s check list to packing light and fashionable. Do you have any stylish packing tips that you can share? Don’t forget to below.
Photo Credits: AwedByMonica
Monica is a fashion enthusiast who owns a fashion and style blog calledwww.awedbymonica.blogspot.com, loves to inspire her followers on how to create effortlessly chic looks and has 15 years worth of fashion knowledge and experience from her work in the high-end fashion industry. For more information on her, visit her blog, email her at [email protected] or Like her onFacebook.

1. Dolapo

November 18, 2013 at 11:39 am

Nice. But I think you should have showed us how to fit in four shoes in a carry on. Because my carry on can’t fit in four shoes oh. Then again knowing us Nigerians, we can carry a proper luggage and call it carry on without the slightest flinch.

I’m complaining like this because I’m trying to fit in four shoes into my carry on for a three day trip. Lol, this came in a little bit handy but a video or steps on how to fit in shoes would have helped. Some of us really such at packing. Lol

• goldfinch

November 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

“Then again knowing us Nigerians, we can carry a proper luggage and call it carry on without the slightest flinch.”
      This answers your question. She should have shown us the size of her carry-on and how she packed it. I think that would have been better. Nothing new that we did not know before in her write-up

2. Aibee

November 18, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I always make a list when packing. Begining from when I get out of bed and runing through all the days and activities lined up for the trip, including toiletries, underwear (matched to each outfit) etc. Lists Rule!

3. Que

November 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I don’t even bother trying…the lightest I can pack is d Easyjet std with one 20kg luggage piece. Its made me hate carry on bags sef, save for when i’m packing a lot of valuable gadgets or jewellery or wateva which exceed the capacity of my handbag. As for these tips I’m sure they are useful, just that in my case, i can wear all dose outfits in 2days, without even intending to. so i will kindly stay in my ‘in-case-of’ lane n be bound by d airlines restrictions. Its worked so far for flight/rail/road.

4. c_sutherland

November 18, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I don’t agree
    whowhatwear.com/how-to-wear-socks-with-heels-boots-fall-fashion-trend-2013/

Best regards, Clora

5. Awed by Monica

November 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Hey Dolapo, happy Monday! So I actually carried a Samsonite carry-on (I will try and put a where to buy link in the “Awed Shop” on the blog) The trick is to put softer articles of clothing like scarfs etc into your shoes and of course wear your bulkier pair, and that is how I successfully did I it! I hope that helped!

xoox
    Moni
    awedbymonica.blogspot.com

• Dolapo

November 18, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Putting softer clothes in my shoes sounds like a smart idea if your shoes don’t stink. I will try it out anyway. Thank you.

6. Aidan

November 18, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I am from the Globetrotter and Rimowa school of thought!

7. Brother TOHBAD o!

November 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Nice!!

8. Wendy

November 18, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Sorry…I have tried to be a lite packer but failed..I am
    those chicks that will carry one big full suitcase plus hand
    luggage just for one week vacay.My hubby hates it because he is the
    one that always end up carrying all the bags and pans for
    me..

9. Chic

November 18, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Four pairs of shoes for a three day trip is a lot. The most I would pack is two and including the pair that I wear on the flight/road trip then that makes it three but only two get into my suitcase.

• Berry Dakara

November 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

Remember she was going for a Fashion bloggers event by a magazine. I’m sure there were daytime and evening events, probably 2 or 3 a day, so the number of shoes makes sense. And I think (well, she didn’t say it expressly) that one of the shoes was used for traveling…

10. Neneh

November 18, 2013 at 7:16 pm

My size 9’s will take up the whole carry-on!

11. Layemii

November 19, 2013 at 10:36 am

Hmm! I have learnt something today

12. Modella

November 19, 2013 at 11:12 am

Nice

13. Frankie

November 19, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Super packing tip: roll your clothes instead of folding
    them and you can fit a lot more in!