Music

“It Doesn’t Make Any Sense” – Akon Responds to Reports of No Dark Skinned Girls for Video Shoot in Ghana

BellaNaija.com

Akon - November 2013 - BellaNaija

He’s Black and He’s Proud of his race.

Last week, reports surfaced that American music star Akon and Nigerian star Wizkid refused dark skinned girls from appearing in their music video shoot in Ghana. They allegedly only wanted “Half-Caste” ladies.

If you missed the feature, click here

Akon was present at the 2013 American Music Awards on Sunday 24th November 2013. After the awards show, he was spotted heading to a restaurant.

TMZ cameras caught up with him and asked about the reports.

Watch the reply

1. i said

November 27, 2013 at 10:29 am

I knew he was going to come back with a response. hmmm

2. YEYEAREWA

November 27, 2013 at 10:32 am

LMAO! LIGHT SKINNED GURLS WILL ALWAYS BE MORE SOUGHT AFTER THAN DARK SKINNED GURLS. NO OFFENCE THO

• Vee

November 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

You’re right, but it’s all slave mentality.
      It’s a bit sad that some black people idolize light skin tone.

• Ashley b

November 28, 2013 at 3:57 am

Errrrrr……… I will have to disagree with you there, saying it’s all slave mentality. If this so called black skin tone is tha business. Let the black ski tones sistas go and sell their own blackness too now. Shebi it’s beautiful. Go n shoot ur own dark skin tone models only video then n leave the light skin ones to do theirs. SIMPLES

3. beatiful and i knw it

November 27, 2013 at 10:45 am

your stupid @yeyearewa

• bobo

November 27, 2013 at 10:56 am

*Like button*

• Nkechi

November 27, 2013 at 10:58 am

YES!!!! And they will stay being booty shaking video vixens and baby mamas while all the other girls get the ring!

• Nnenna

November 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

CLOCK HIM!!!

• whocares

November 27, 2013 at 11:12 am

ok this is starting to be a light skin/ dark skin girls thing. it should not be. I take offense to both statements (more so as im light skin(ted)- madea anyone?) and I don’t look forward to a life of rump shaking for a living. light skin, black skin, polka dot.. we are all suffering from the same prejudice, objectification, discrimination etc. that is the big issue.. I will get off my soap box now 🙂

• CarliforniaBawlar

November 28, 2013 at 1:00 am

Hahahahaha…I’ll leave you to believe that if it’ll make you feel better!! Beht…yellow girls are getting married and making things happen everyday na!! Anyways pele dear….your statement stems from a sketch self-esteem….look into that **KissesYourWay**

4. ola

November 27, 2013 at 11:07 am

If your really want to know if a lady is pretty, check out a light skin version of a lady in a dark skin version…then you know which shade is more prettier. Most light skin lady are are not pretty, but their light skin covers it up by making them attractive.

• nene

November 27, 2013 at 7:01 pm

true. for example monalisa chinda, and i always wandered if regina askia would stil be pretty if she wasn’t light eith hazel eyes. someone like bianca ojukwu would be a knockout either way

• CarliforniaBawlar

November 28, 2013 at 1:18 am

**Yinmu** All na wash…God wey give person big teeth na Hin give am big lips to cover am!! ( meaning: the God that created a person light skinned already knows what He’s doing)…Plus I don’t get all these analysis being carried out on yellow folks oh! hian!! Na dem vex you?? They didn’t create the society we live in that chooses to objectify women based on their skin tone, hair, shape, height ..etceteras. Kini big deal gaan sef?….my light skinned family members always complain about not being able to get away with stuff ‘cos they’re very easily described….”…na that yellow girl do am!!” …lols. Plus I grew up where everyone was teased….. mine was yellow pawpaw,epo dodo or if the person really had it in for me they would call me Afin (albino)…wetin I for do?

• whocares

November 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

lmaoo me toooo. one time I went to the market at ijebu with my aunt and she left me in the car to dash into a shop. before she came back, a group of little boys about 5 of them were by the car singing “oyinbo pepe, shuku shuku pepe”. looool. dancing around the car and all sorts. I also got called all those names and even “atupa lantern”. it doesn’t even upset me, its all in good fun. I laugh and go my way. you are right.. all the analysis. e get as e be.

5. Eve

November 27, 2013 at 11:14 am

Lol! War of colours…and who said light skin girls only shake booty nd be baby mamas? @ nkechi..both complexions are beautiful just depends on a mans choice. No offense but if they want light skin girls, they want light skin girls. Sum1 else please come and say u want dark skin girls and end ol this. Than God for my sweet caramel/ butterscotch complexion.

6. Eve

November 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

girls and end ol this. Thank God for my sweet caramel/ butterscotch complexion.

7. Elsa

November 27, 2013 at 11:55 am

Hmmmmm I hv 2 dark skinned sisters and I am d light one….when we all go out guys don’t even take a 2nd look at me yesssss naija guys…. Not like am not good looking.. Just not beautiful..It makes so jealous and self conscious ..I wish I cud buy darkening cream.. Any ideasssss.

8. TA

November 27, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Glad to hear from Akon himself that ‘its absolutely not true’….

9. Gistyinka Blog

November 27, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Hmmm he has the right to defend himself but hope our young man Wizkid, did not want to lose his fans to the issue.

10. sade

November 27, 2013 at 4:43 pm

with a dark skin girl black just like him by his side..

11. Anonymoustoday

November 27, 2013 at 4:50 pm

What of us inbetweeners? Not fair and not dark? We blend right into every room and don’t stand out. At least you notice the yellow ones or you notice the dark ones. The rest of us? We are plenty everywhere. Just another common girl in the room! But then if you look closely like am sure God intended us to, we are all uniquely beautiful whatever our melanin level!

12. breezy

November 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Am really tired of hearing people argue about skin color, especially my Nigerian people. Like seriously, it’s not anyone’s fault that they are born with either lighter or darker skin tone. And no, light skinned individuals are not prettier than dark skinned people and vice versa. Accept your skin color and stop making other people feel bad about their skin color because of your own insecurities. #peace

13. MsJordan

November 27, 2013 at 7:27 pm

AKON IS WAS AND WILL ALWAYS BE A SENEGALESE MOSLEM BIGGOT
    WE ALL KNOW “THEY” (and they know who they are ) – have no respect for Women.
    S.O.B ****es. This is not the first time he has said or done this, always disrespecting women.

14. MsJordan

November 27, 2013 at 7:28 pm

meanwhile to looking at you and your skin tone, coming from senegal, your own mother (one of a 100 wifes) is probably as BLACK AS KIWI SHOE SHINE. mschewwwwwwwwwwww

15. SOLO ACT

November 27, 2013 at 9:10 pm

tah shut up akon!! i KNOW HIM AND WIZKID REQUESTED LIGHT
    SKINNED GIRLS! THEY JUST GOT CAUGHT! PLZ LIGHT SKINNED GIRLS CAN
    KEEP THESE BLACK MEN! WHERE IS MY WHITE MAN! PLZ! LOL

16. ijescorner

November 27, 2013 at 9:32 pm

An extract from ijescorner – http://bit.ly/1boKYM9

when I go to parties…ladies look at me as if why the hell is she not bleaching? I’m just normal caramel colour, but a girl asked me the other day ‘why don’t you tone..since you are a bit fair..you would look a lot better if you were brighter’! Indirectly they are saying…is she really that poor that she cannot afford bleaching cream?

When will this light-skin dark-skin war end?

17. Tee

November 27, 2013 at 11:39 pm

As one who has mixed raced kids,can one please tell bn to stop calling our and your children half cast.2013

18. NNENNE

November 28, 2013 at 4:53 am

Akin, I maintained that there’s got to be another side to that story. It made no sense to me.
    Keep making Africa proud. I will always remain a fan.

19. NNENNE