News

Hello Road Users, Yes You! The Minister of Works wants Your Opinion on Federal Roads

BellaNaija.com

Federal Roads in Nigeria - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 027

Do you want safer and smoother roads in 2014? Then help the Nigerian Minister of Works.

Mike Onolememen has released a statement via his publicist asking all BellaNaijarians to answer a few questions.

Read it below;

Often, being in a position of authority comes with its own set of challenges. A good example is the bureaucracy that shields leaders from realities on ground. Most times, a minister’s aide(s) might not be his best means of touching base. Hearing directly from the people, without exposing oneself to unnecessary distractions, is the sure way to see and feel what is going on.

I want to hear directly from road users and patriotic Nigerians who desire to join hands with us to make our Federal Roads better than they are at present. I have created an email account ([email protected]) through which you can reach me directly to lay your complaints, proffer suggestions or inform me on just about anything to do with Federal Roads.

However, I will need the following favours;

• Is there a federal road that needs urgent attention?
  • We have done some roads. Are they okay by you?
  • Are any of our contractors not living up to their responsibilities on the job?
  • In what way do you think we can further improve and maintain the state federal roads in Nigeria?
  • Kindly let us know any federal road we should be preparing to pay attention to that is not already on our list.

I have received a number of awards, commendations and pats on the back for supposedly “a job well done”.

I appreciate all of that but I am not swayed, deceived or disillusioned to believe that all is well with federal roads all over Nigeria. In as much as any government (or minister,for that matter) cannot fix all Nigerian roads, I believe we can do our utmost best with the resources available to make life better, make a mark and be able to say before God and man that we did our best.
I believe more than anything that qualitative change is possible if the leaders and the led are committed to it. I believe more than anything that qualitative change is possible if the leaders and the led are committed to it.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks.
Honourable Minister of Works
Mike Onolememen

Take a look at some of the roads already corrected and maintained;
Federal Roads in Nigeria - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 021Federal Roads in Nigeria - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 022Federal Roads in Nigeria - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 023Federal Roads in Nigeria - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 024Federal Roads in Nigeria - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 028Federal Roads in Nigeria - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 029Federal Roads in Nigeria - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 030

So BellaNaijarians, let’s talk about it!

1. Thelma

December 31, 2013 at 2:00 pm

This is a great idea! But does he really have to ask though? Anyways I shall send my own mails, The roads that need work are plenty. But Mr Minister, fixing these roads are one thing, contracting a good company that would do a good job and fix roads that won’t return to their former state in six months is another.

thelmathinks.blogspot.com

• BellaYankee

January 1, 2014 at 12:24 am

Minister, this is your job. Don’t ask us irrelevant questions. After 4 whole years, this is ALL you can show?

And yes to the person who said we want to see more pictures taken by people who ply the roads not you, Minister!

Half if the roads are just raw sef, not completely marked, demarcated and finished. I can’t!

2. niyoola

December 31, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I would rather they took photographs of the same sections of the road to show the previous condition of the road and present state.
    Some of the portions of bad roads in the photos are still bad, while only some sections have being rehabilitated.
    I don’t know about Apapa/Oshodi exp way, but the recent photograph should also have been taken in front of Zenith Bank to show that the problematic parts of the road have been fixed.

3. wendu

December 31, 2013 at 3:45 pm

They still have a long way to go

4. wendu

December 31, 2013 at 3:53 pm

They still have a long way to go because they need to use good material for the roads and the road contractors need to be accountable for this roads for years . In the U.S roads are built with concretes and the contractors are accountable for it for over 10 years . Lets stop celebrating mediocrity

5. Alero Mii

December 31, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Dear Minister, I appreciate your gesture, but you would know more by travelling on these roads. That Benin-Ore road picture does not depict the true state of the road, I passed through that road on the 24th & 26th december 2013, and their were diversions @ intervals after ijebu ode until after Ore because of big potholes… Not good @ all

6. Backwardness must end by 2015

December 31, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Do your job and stop asking us to help you out!!! We have
    our own area of expertise!! SMH !!! or did we all get the contract?
    If you have run out of ideas on how to construct roads hand your
    job over to another who is knowledgeable on road construction.
    Asking us which roads need repair, whose job is it to know the
    statistics on the amount of federal roads in Nigeria? Are you not
    the minister of roads? What do teachers, doctors, business
    men/woman, restaurant owners know about road construction? are you
    not the one that is meant to inform us on road safety? Seriously
    why are all these incompetent, half skilled, amateurish people in
    such important positions? Guys don’t type anything let him go out
    and do his job or leave the job if he knows nothing about
    it.

7. Backwardness must end by 2015

December 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Please do not see this as me being rude. I lost someone to
    this bad road issue. Enough is enough ! If you did not study
    anything about road please leave that position. It is not fair !!!
    Allow Nigeria to move forward please. This Is not food that you
    cook and ask people is it okay by you. Please pick up a book and
    read about road construction or what it entails to become a
    minister of road. Lets stop all these backwardness please it is
    almost 2014. C’mon !!!

• zsa zsa

December 31, 2013 at 6:53 pm

hahahahaaaa!!!!! i love your comment and the vex wey you use write am. you echoed my sentiments. Why ask us how to improve? is that how they do it in developed countries?
      besides, tarring the roads is one thing….maintenance is another. Fix the roads but please MAINTAIN them.

8. Ndubuisi

December 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I want Nigeria railways to comeback because if the bring it
    back with new modern passenger and cargo trains it wil reduce too
    much use of the roads by heavy trucks and buses. most heavy items
    or goods and services can easly be moved any where in Nigeria by
    train rather than roads.

9. Theresa

December 31, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Wonderful news! At least he shows he wants to do the right
    thing. Please let’s not let scepticism hold us back from giving him
    ideas. Together we can make Nigeria work.

10. Randze Poska

December 31, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Naija keeps amazing me,Where i come from if a minister does this,He will be sent to Prison on trumped up charges of corruption.Nigerians should thank God for British Colonialism ,come to Cameroon and you will have a slight idea of what am talking about FUCK THE FRENCH.Every country in the world has its own problems to deal with but the sick mean looking DEMONS (Onyinbo) make it an African affair.I lived in Lagos for some time and learnt to appreciate democracy if am granted permission to say so.If corrupt leaders leave office within the specified terms we would have a “Dictatordemocracy” a perfect system for Africa by Africans. Boko Haram is just a western backed militia to destroy Nigeria but i trust the ever smart Nigerians Una go shame dem.GOD BLESS NIGERIA and “UNPATRIOTIC” it may sound but I REGRET BEING CAMEROONIAN……God Please Pity Cameroon

11. mujer

December 31, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I think that the minister is reaching out in good faith. Nigerians, there is no formal system for these bosses to receive feedback except through self serving and sometimes starkly incompetent PAs who are holding those positions for reasons you don’t want to know about so that you can sleep at night. So they need access to the masses. they need to hear constructive stuff from you. Tell him if it is working or not. I don’t know him but I hope he listens.

12. sara

December 31, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I’ll commend him for asking the people what they want and about their concerns but I’ll give him a round of applause and a cupcake when they stop with these cut and paste roads that don’t last past one rainy season. I would appreciate it if they would use concrete with steel reinforcements rather than compounding the earth and pouring tar on top.

13. onyi henry

January 2, 2014 at 1:34 pm

wat happen 2 d rest of oshodi apapa road?u only show one section of d road lyk they are as smooth as d wind screen..

14. Leila

February 24, 2014 at 9:49 pm

All na wash wash just to hood wink us into thinking that they are actually working for the people but in actual fact, it’s their bank accounts they are working for. 419