News

Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Celebrated her Big 60 + Read Her Special Message

Oprah's 60th Birthday Party - January 2014 - BellaNaija 01

Oprah is 60.

Yesterday Wednesday 29th January 2014, the media mogul turned the solid 60. Oprah wanted to celebrate with a big party but the guest list was reportedly getting too long, so she decided to cancel and opt for an intimate party.

Oprah shared images of her day on her Instagram page. She got fresh red roses from actress Cicely Tyson, tons of gifts and had a refreshing glass of iced tea with Maria Shriver.

Oprah's 60th Birthday Party - January 2014 - BellaNaija 02Oprah's 60th Birthday Party - January 2014 - BellaNaija 03

Days before her b-day, she and some friends went to Soul Cycle for a fun workout.

She also had a small party at her Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) office.
Oprah's 60th Birthday Party - January 2014 - BellaNaija 04 Oprah's 60th Birthday Party - January 2014 - BellaNaija 05 Oprah's 60th Birthday Party - January 2014 - BellaNaija 07Oprah's 60th Birthday Party - January 2014 - BellaNaija 08

Before her 60th, Oprah Winfrey wrote a special birthday message on opening your heart on her official website. Read it below;

Sixty. I’m turning 60 this month! I’m so glad I’ve lived long enough to say those words and celebrate their meaning.

I’m turning 60. I’m alive. Healthy. Strong.

I’m turning 60, and—please don’t take offense—I no longer have to be concerned about what anyone thinks of me! (You know, the old Am I doing it right? Am I saying it right? Am I being what or who I’m “supposed” to be?) I’m turning 60, and I’ve earned the right to be just as I am. I’m more secure in being myself than I’ve ever been.

I have reached the moment Derek Walcott describes in his beautiful poem “Love After Love”: “…with elation / you will greet yourself arriving / at your own door, in your own mirror / and each will smile at the other’s welcome.”

I am in awe of the way my journey here on earth continues to unfold. My life has been marked by miracles for as long as I can recall—and even before. (My entire existence is the result of a onetime frolic under an oak tree.) My early days speaking in a Mississippi Methodist church—Baptist leanings, shoutin’, and Holy Ghost included—prepared me for a future of speaking in a public arena I could never have imagined.

And now, at 60, I simply want to share what I’ve been given. I want to continue to encourage as many people as I can to open their hearts to life, because if I know anything for sure, it’s that opening my own heart is what has brought me my greatest success and joy.

My highest achievement: never shutting my heart down. Even in my darkest moments—through sexual abuse, a pregnancy at 14, lies and betrayals—I remained faithful, hopeful, and open to seeing the best in people, regardless of whether they were showing me their worst. I stayed open to believing that no matter how hard the climb, there is always a way to let in a sliver of light to illuminate the path forward.

We go through life discovering the truth about who we are and determining who has earned the right to share the personal space within our heart.

This I also know for sure: God—however you define or refer to Him, Her, or It—is for us. The forces of nature are for us, offering us life in abundance. We humans narrow what is an open field of wonder and majesty to the myopic reality of our day-to-day experiences. But there is extraordinary in the ordinary. Every day and every breath is magic—if we can only see it for what it is.

Some days the awareness of the sanctity and sacredness of life brings me to my knees with gratitude. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the idea that the little girl from Mississippi who grew up holding her nose in an outhouse now flies on her own plane—my own plane!—to Africa to help girls who grew up like her. Amazing grace, how sweet the sound!

I approach this milestone, the landmark of 60, with humility, supreme thanksgiving, and joy. Knowing for sure grace has brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.

Credits: Oprah.com

1. Geebabe

January 30, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Amen.

2. ifeoma nwawe

January 30, 2014 at 5:44 pm

This got to me……..
    Happy Birthday, Oprah..
    ifeomanwawe.blogspot.com

3. Endo

January 30, 2014 at 5:46 pm

She has really come a long way. Love her or hate her, you can’t help but admire the impact she has made in the black community around the world. Happy 60th birthday, O!!

endochallenges.wordpress.com

4. Vics

January 30, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Awwww….those words are everything! Happy birthday ma’am

5. Tosin

January 30, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Oprah is someone whose work has changed my life: you know that froofy mystically scientific enquiring open way of thinking. So thank you O! It seems like only yesterday she was celebrating FIFTY. It’s all good. We love and respect you here in Africa.

I remember after secondary school (mid nineties) visiting my friend who sort of casually introduced me to the Oprah Winfrey Show. My friend was sixteen, maybe seventeen. About a year later, she was dead. She would have been somebody so loving and so great. She was deep, like Oprah, already. Definitely deeper than me, wiser.

Love that Walcott: “…with elation / you will greet yourself arriving / at your own door, in your own mirror / and each will smile at the other’s welcome”

6. atrue

January 30, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Love you Oprah. I pray God grant me grace too! Happy graceful birthday!!!

7. Adaeze

January 30, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Happy Birthday Oprah! Many more years ahead!

8. Aderonke

January 30, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Waohhhh her words touch me so deep. Thank you Oprah for giving. God bless you for opening up ur heart. I will learn to keep opening up mine as much as I can! Love u loads, will love to meet you one day and hug u just to say thank u for giving to humanity! I’m a huge fan!

9. Leah

January 30, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Amazing Woman! Wish her many more healthy years.

10. divadivine

January 30, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I love you Oprah!

11. Sexxie

January 30, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Touching message indeed. Happy belated birthday to a phenomenal woman! I hope she meets Jide Kosoko someday.

• aj

January 31, 2014 at 12:13 am

LOOOOOOOL what??????

12. Chigbo

January 30, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Every time Oprah opens her mouth, somebody is blessed.

Happy Birthday!!!

13. Zeezah

January 30, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Happy birthday Oprah. I love you so much.
    Also to our Jide Kosoko here back home and also another shout out Happy birthday to my lovely daughter here in my house. You guys are all birthday mate. That’s great!

14. Keji

January 30, 2014 at 10:04 pm

So touching. Where the grace of God and humility can take man to is indescribable. Happy belated birthday to a woman of valour . Cheers to a beautiful year ahead.

15. Angel

January 30, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I used to love Oprah, not anymore, don’t wanna go into that now…but I wish her the very best and many more beautiful years ahead, she’s come a long way…

16. RIRI-ROSE

January 30, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Happy birthday Oprah.

17. NNENNE

January 30, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Happy birthday Oprah Winfrey.

18. Grown Woman

January 31, 2014 at 6:33 am

Awww what a lovely message. HBD Miss O, may God’s blessings shower upon you always.

19. Mo!

January 31, 2014 at 8:40 am

Happy Birthday Oprah, Love you to bits! U are an inspiration and a model.

20. Ada Nnewi

January 31, 2014 at 8:57 am

Lovely message…love how she reinforces my belief in living life everyday with my arms wide open and focusing on the much bigger picture 🙂

21. Jumi

January 31, 2014 at 10:28 am

if its linda ikeji, na so so long story on how she had 30naira in her pocket and now she has 30m in the account

22. ij

January 31, 2014 at 11:50 am

Go team Aquarius!!

23. Ngee

January 31, 2014 at 2:56 pm

A truly great woman with an amazing an inspiring story. I love Oprah Winfrey because she got to where she is through hardwork, a relentless spirit and openness with love hope giving and laughter. Love her spirit and what she stands for. Such a great poem to quote too by the way {already looking for it online} and oooooooooh what a feeling!!! Happy birthday Oprah!

24. nike

January 31, 2014 at 4:49 pm

You really can’t compare Oprah with Folorunsho Alakija. While it is great for the latter that she was lucky to be in the right place at the right time, you have to give it to Oprah for really coming out of a very underprivileged background and unfortunate incidences and using her life experience and fortunes to encourage people to be the best they can be..

25. Opeyemi

January 31, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Awwwwww, words that touch!