News

Toolz’ Thoughts: What’s Your Selling Point?

This is my first Toolz Thoughts’ of 2014, so I can still say Happy New Year beautiful people! We made it to 2014- all thanks to God! First off, I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone that reads Toolz’ Thoughts. Writing is something I find great comfort in, but I haven’t always been confident about. Your comments, tweets, RTs are so encouraging and I thank each and every one of you for that.

One of the main reasons I love doing Toolz’ Thoughts is because it promotes discussion, which I think we need more of – especially in this country. I genuinely enjoy reading and learning from (most of) the comments and once again thank you to everyone that contributes.
*and end of thank you speech*

I stumbled across this book: ‘The Confident Woman’ by Joyce Meyer in my sister’s library and so far it has been an awesome read.
There’s a particular paragraph that really resonated with me. I’m trying to be a better business-woman, so this bit of wisdom had perfect timing. Joyce wrote: Confident people do not concentrate on their weaknesses; they develop and maximize their strengths… … The world is not hungry for mediocrity’

There are certain skills that on a scale of 1 to 10, we might be at a ‘2’. You could work at being better at this skill day and night; dedicate a huge percentage of your time to it. With the blood, sweat, and tears you put into being better at the skill, you could end up being a ‘5’. However, while you have been putting all that effort into eradicating a weakness, you have probably neglected the opportunity to perfect a skill that you are naturally gifted at. Essentially you may have missed the opportunity to turn a ‘6’ into a ‘9’.
Joyce follows up with a story about a pastor she interviewed and when she asked about his weaknesses the pastor said: ‘I don’t concentrate on them. I am sure I have some, but I can’t tell you because I just don’t focus on them’.

I can’t say I agree with ignoring your weaknesses, but I definitely think it may be more effective to limit the amount of time/effort that is put into correcting the weakness. Developing/perfecting your strengths and limiting the focus on your weaknesses may not be the easiest thing to do, but it seems to be a necessary principle for success.

I believe that everyone has a natural gift from God, it might take us a while to realize them or we may have other things that distract us and prevent us from discovering them. Sometimes we might even focus too much on what we aren’t good at and forget to develop/ perfect our talents.

For example, Diane Warren is one of the most successful and influential women in music. She is often described as ‘the most important songwriter in the world’ because of the number of hits she has penned. These include: ‘Because You Loved Me’ which was a tribute to her father, and famously performed by Celine Dion. She also wrote ‘I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing’ performed by Aerosmith, ‘How Do I Live’ performed by LeAnn Rimes and ‘Un-break My Heart’ performed by Toni Braxton just to name a few. She has also written for Whitney Houston, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and lots more.

She probably started out wanting to be an artist, maybe she suffered from bad stage fright or she wasn’t a great performer, nevertheless today she is very successful (and very very rich).

Imagine if performing on stage had been one of Diane’s weaknesses and she spent so much time working on improving her stage performance and inevitably neglected her songwriting skills – would she be as successful as she is today? If she had managed to get her performance skills from a ‘3’ to a ‘5’ would she have the stack of awards she has now? In a world where you have amazing stage performers who are probably 8s or 9s? Probably not.

Another example, Richard Branson the head of the Virgin Group suffers from dyslexia which caused him to leave school at 16. He could have let this weakness defeat him, but he found a way to work around it. Richard would get his staff to read out presentations to him to understand them better.

I could go on and on, but what I learnt from ‘The Confident Woman’ is that it is important to identify your ‘selling point’. Figure out what your God-given talent is and strive to develop and improve it. Everyone has a weakness that could distract from perfecting that talent…if you let it. Why spend so much time bringing a skill from poor to average? You could invest that energy into taking a skill from good to excellent!

I’m not saying that giving up on correcting your weaknesses is the way to go, but being conscious of and limiting the amount of time and effort you spend on, in my opinion is a good idea.

Coming up with ideas is one of my strengths, however, one of my weaknesses is being organised enough to execute these ideas. The main reason I’m a bit of a scatterbrain is because I’m thinking about so many things at once. My friends often joke that I have the attention span of a fruit-fly. I have tried to be a bit more organised and meticulous. While I have improved a little, it did take a massive effort. I figured it would be wise to get a project manager to handle some of my big projects – someone who is naturally meticulous, organised and not forgetful- unlike me.

So in the words of D’Prince, ‘What’s your selling point?’ And most importantly, are you doing your best to capitalize on it?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
ToolzO is an award-winning on-air personality who currently presents ‘The Midday Show with Toolz’ on the Beat 99.9FM and the Juice for Ndani TV. You can find out more about Toolz by visiting www.ToolzO.net and @ToolzO on Twitter.

ToolzO is an award-winning on-air personality who currently presents ‘The Midday Show with Toolz’ on the Beat 99.9FM (Lagos), 'Afrobeat News' on Capital Xtra (UK) and Ndani TV’s The Juice on DSTV Africa Magic Entertainment. You can find out more about Toolz by visiting www.ToolzO.net and @ToolzO on Twitter and Instagram.

1. Rayz

February 18, 2014 at 10:50 am

Thank you Miss Toolz! X

2. queeneth

February 18, 2014 at 10:51 am

Nice one

3. veer234

February 18, 2014 at 11:06 am

… So, too long, thanks.,

• mrs chidukane

February 18, 2014 at 11:29 am

It bothers me when people read articles and say it’s too long. Haven’t you ever read a novel? Your text book? Do you work? At work do your tasks come in sms format? Are they as short as pings?Have you ever read a legal document? An article? This mental laziness is killing Nigeria’s youth. People don’t want to think anymore yet they want oil company jobs.What do you think they do at work all day?Ping??I blame Africa Magic and social media

• Gusty's Blog

February 18, 2014 at 11:40 am

Well said mrs chidukane !!! The reading culture of Nigerians has honestly gone down the drain. How can someone ” veer234″ read an article and say it’s too long? Has the person ever written one? If you cant express your thoughts in clear words that are understandable to most people then how can you lead or make people understand you better.

• tbn

February 18, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Gbam Madam you’re so right on point. I don’t get it honestly. These are the people who would complain about no jobs yet, when they finally get a job, to write a simple report becomes an arduous task, they get angry when given a simple job of reading and summarizing etc. SO how do you justify the salary that comes to you every month, if you complain that this short article is too long? May God help us in this country

• Warri Babe

February 18, 2014 at 3:15 pm

You just spoke the same way my mum would.

• TA

February 18, 2014 at 3:43 pm

A billion likes for your comment.

• BA

February 19, 2014 at 3:10 am

This came from a kind heart. Thank you!

• 1 + The One

February 19, 2014 at 10:56 am

Thank you for addressing this very limiting mentality that is becoming popular culture!! People miss so much by not gaining knowledge, which often times is through the medium of reading!

February 21, 2014 at 12:35 am

Very well said, Mrs Chidukane – I really wish I cold hi5 you right now

February 21, 2014 at 12:35 am

Very well said, Mrs Chidukane – I really wish I cold hi5 you right now

February 21, 2014 at 12:36 am

*could

• Gusty's Blog

February 18, 2014 at 11:31 am

learn to read more and develop a reading culture.

4. mariam light

February 18, 2014 at 11:07 am

hmmmmm.

5. ENIOLA

February 18, 2014 at 11:11 am

hmmm, another wake up call. Stuck between quitting my job to develop more on my selling point and …….. I don’t even know. God help me
    Thanks Toolz, your thoughts on being the accidental side chic spoke to me.

6. Poison Ivy

February 18, 2014 at 11:20 am

I didn’t know toolz can write,so her beautiful head isn’t empty(Impressive)
    P.S;Am a joyce meyer fan,you guys should totally check out her book,Me and my big mouth by joyce meyer completely changed my life.Good one toolz

• Bide

February 18, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Just bought that now

7. Tayo

February 18, 2014 at 11:21 am

hmmmm thanks Toolz

8. TitilolaEsther

February 18, 2014 at 11:28 am

A fantastic write up, just what I needed to read.

9. Adetola ADEYINKA

February 18, 2014 at 11:32 am

Thank you for this Toolz. God bless you.

10. Teni

February 18, 2014 at 11:44 am

Nice read, and a food for thought for me cos like you,i think about a hundred things at once. Thanks toolz…

11. Hurperyearmie

February 18, 2014 at 11:59 am

nice!!!!!!!!!

12. Asabe Chiamaka Adeolu

February 18, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Great write up Toolz!
    I agree, especially with weaknesses that others wish were your strengths e.g. your parents want u to be an engineer but you want to be a fitness trainer. You are naturally agile and have a affinity for healthy eating, etc. On the other hand, you are okay at Math and it takes a huge struggle to make a B+ but you don’t get Fs either. Instead of seeing it as struggling engineer vs. a brilliant fitness expert, our loved ones make us see it as a respectable engineer vs. a useless muscular gym rat lolll. This is what deludes many of us Nigerians into careers we are mediocre at- because dad and mom, pastor and teacher, boyfriend and wife say so. Do what you love and are great at so that you can be happy. Shikena.

13. Oluwaremilekun

February 18, 2014 at 12:19 pm

i have heard, and read about discovering your talent many times, and reading or hearing about it,i want to anxiously discover and find what my talent is, and also work hard on making something out of it, but itz bn really tough, please can you give a write-up on that. thank you soooooo sooooo much

• Mae

February 18, 2014 at 12:48 pm

This!!! Exactly where I am in this life. & it doesn’t help that one is getting older & therefore feels like this needs to happen sooner rather than later. *sigh*

• jcsgrl

February 18, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I know two books that have helped me tremendously. If you can buy from amazon, check out “Whose Life are you living” and “Purpose Redefined” They both help in discovering your strengths and using them to work on your purpose. Working on purpose is a life long journey. You can’t discover it in a day. But you have to find out what you love doing and use it for humanity. If you’re not using it to positively impact humanity, then you’ve lost the essence of discovering who you are. Take it step by step, one intentional decision after another and you will be living a purposeful life. Let your maker lead you the rest of the way.

• Mae

February 21, 2014 at 10:42 am

Hi,
      Please who are the authors of the books? I’m seeing quite a number of different ones on Amazon…

Thanks,

Mae

• Agatha

February 18, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Hi Remi. Firstly it’s not something you work so hard to get/find out/ know cos it’s ‘your talent’ aka it’s yours, in you already, God’s gift to you and each of His children. Now you can start by writing a list of all the things you like to do (i mean alllllll from smiling to traveling etc) in no particular order. When you are done and sure you have all the things u like and like to do written down, take a look at them, think on each item properly then rearrange them from most liked to least liked/joy-derived. After rearranging, look at your list and rearrange again according to their potential level. I mean ask yourself a) which of the item on your list or a combination of the items on your list can help you achieve your life mission/goal b)in time. Lastly, rearrange again to which item or combo of items you would be happiest doing. These must be done by you especially the last list, the happy list. Most importantly you have to calm down and do not fret about it. You will recognize your talent soon, in time.

February 18, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Agatha! Well said, my gift and what I enjoyed was hair and trichology, from a family of professors and engineers, go for it and never look back, develop and make that 6 a 9!

14. lara

February 18, 2014 at 12:42 pm

well said, on point Toolz. Thanks for sharing

15. Ayana

February 18, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Nice read…Toolz… Food for thought

16. anonymous

February 18, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I write well and have excellent presentation skills. My Radio show is coming up soon. Talk about focusing on your strenghts

17. D'dream

February 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm

i feel you remi. been there before but now im coming out. i have always want to write hopefully i am doing that now. i love helping people to be the best. i dont know if we can communicate to share with you some nuggets to help you discovee your purpose. you are free to contact me

• Oluwaremilekun

February 18, 2014 at 4:27 pm

thanks

18. DJ STELCH

February 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Toolz ToH Sexy (IN WANDE COAL’S VOICE).. I dont know if i can thank you enough for this eye opener, but anywaz i deeply appreciate this so much. God Bless!!..

19. Dee Pee

February 18, 2014 at 1:58 pm

good one….its wiser to focus more on God-given talents that one flows effortlessly with than struggling with a talent… evrybody has that ONE talent…

20. Dee Pee

February 18, 2014 at 1:59 pm

*weakness

21. no heart to hate

February 18, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Thanks

22. jcsgrl

February 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Well done Toolz on a brilliant article! Ahn ahn if you needed a PM you could have holla’d at me naa. I am PM Extraordinaire, Organizer Toh Bad…lol. That is my strength. My hubby is like you…he comes up with great ideas but his brain is always going at 100 miles a min to actually execute it. Me? Call me the Executor…I make things happen! Lol Abeg make I go face my work this morrin jare

23. EE

February 18, 2014 at 3:46 pm

God bless u for this write-up.

24. Annonymous

February 18, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Nice write up and this is speaking to me right now

25. Easy n Gentle

February 18, 2014 at 4:58 pm

‘The world is not hungry for mediocrity’

That’s my take-home point!!!!

26. X Factor

February 18, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Very Intelligent and thought provoking piece…Toolz thoughts are always on point!

27. Gezzel

February 18, 2014 at 5:05 pm

nice write up in fact i love it.

28. TAIWO

February 18, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I really identify with what u sed in ur article about finding comfort in writing but lacking confidence. I recently (through the help of a friend) started blogging and although im still not confident to post all my articles, ive put some of dem forward and it’s been (a bit) fulfiling. I hope to get over this cos I believe I have a lot of potential and wat I need to do is develop my writing skils and read more. And that “scatterbrain” part too (so much like me). Thanks for this. It’s quite encouraging.

29. diana

February 18, 2014 at 6:18 pm

This is great article but in this country, there are not much opportunities for young people except you have influential parents.. its quite disheartening seeing people with great talent waste away…

30. Ajoke

February 18, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I think people should know what their weaknesses are and bring them up to a decent functional level to be well rounded but definitely people should focus on being marvellous at their natural strengths and abilities.

31. Dr. N

February 18, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I do agree with the writer. That being said, talent can be anything. You may look down on your talent cos it doesn’t seem to be a money maker. Sometimes, your talent is destined to just make the world a better place. If u overlook it, you miss out on the opportunity to be a light. Just start using it and eventually it may yeild an income. http://www.drnsmusings.wordpress.com

32. brigitta

February 18, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for this. inspiring!

33. TS

February 18, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Great Post, really enjoyed it. This definitely hit home for me – “The world is not hungry for mediocrity.” I will definitely keep that in mind moving forward. I would also add that in addition to discovering your selling point, it is also necessary to focus. We often have a million things going on at the same time. Many of the very successful people (even the ones mentioned in the article) focus on one thing at a time. Make it successful and then move on to the next.

34. Blessmyheart

February 18, 2014 at 8:02 pm

This is an inspiring piece. I know what my strengths are, jut not sure how to turn them into a fulfilling career.

35. AVID BLOG READER

February 18, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Well said. I really needed this in my life

36. D'dream

February 18, 2014 at 9:36 pm

seconded Dr N point. i couldnt figure out how my talents could be a money maker. the truth is i just love helping people even to a fault. i cant just help it. i guess that is gift.
    even up till now i still keep tab on friends 15yrs down the line, not because i am a lazy guy. i jst want to be a part of peoples world. i feel like writing, speaking, encouraging people to be thebest. even if i am used in the process i dont mind. And that is what some take advantage of with no appreciation whatsoever.

37. u4ma

February 18, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Great article toolz, I ve got ideas on things to do i.e wher to focus my strength, but it seems there’s so much to do with so little time…if u can comment on that, i ll b appreciative.thnxx

38. Donthavetimeforrubbish.

February 18, 2014 at 10:00 pm

just figured out what my selling point was last year and I decided to face it squarely after receiving a rude shock( I lost 2 people dear to me last year). Already started developing it this year, and no looking back, its about time i started living not just breathing.

39. @IamMcPetros

February 19, 2014 at 9:15 am

Dope. Toolz’, Great Piece. My Selling Point; I’m A Conscious Emcee. And I Think In 9ja It’s Not Easy To Sell That. People Won’t Buy. I Pray God Help Him To Get The Proper Market.

40. Felix

February 19, 2014 at 10:38 am

Great Article.

41. 1 + The One

February 19, 2014 at 10:55 am

Toolz, you write so well!
    I am glad I took the time to read this cause it was sooo worth my time! Thanks BN and Toolz! Now to start highlighting and improving my selling point!

42. ann nkesi

February 24, 2014 at 1:21 pm

me I just want to b plenty things.am great with styling.but am struggling with sewing/dress making.but above these,i want to b a lecturer.sometimes I feel am too smart to settle as a fashion designer/stylist.God help me