Music

Onyeka Onwenu accused of Assault by Business Woman

BellaNaija.com

Onyeka Onwenu

Veteran Nigerian musician Onyeka Onwenu is being accused by a business woman Olajoke Adesope of assault.

Olajoke Adesope who had petitioned the National Human Rights Commission, claims she was forcefully evicted from her shop by the National Center for Women Development, Abuja under the orders of the musician.

If you recall, Onyeka Onwenu was appointed executive director of the National Centre for Women Development in September 2013. (click here to read)

Punch reports that the business woman who sells textiles, revealed her tenancy would not end until December 2014. She also stated that she got a letter to evacuate the building in 3 days on January 28th 2014 with threats they will go to court.

Olajoke Adesipe - March 2014 - BellaNaija

After seeking for Onyeka Onwenu’s audience, she got a response to visit and narrated the story. Onyeka apologized and said a formal apology will be written.

“On February 13, I got a call from Onwenu asking why I had not moved out of the shop and I told her that nobody had given me an allocation letter for the new shop as she promised.

She said if I failed to move out by February 14, she would send for the State Security Service to chase me out.

On February 14, I was at the centre early. I heard that Onwenu, in company with her security personnel, had forced my shop open. I ran there and saw her supervising the forceful ejection without any prior court or police order,” she explained.

While taking photos from the scene with her phone, Onyeka Onwenu asked the phone be confiscated. In the struggle for the phone, she was beaten and dragged on the ground while her clothes and bag were torn.

Mohammed Suleiman, a legal team for the Women Dev. Centre, stated that Olajoke was not a legal tenant. He also stated she was asked to relocate to another shop because of President Jonathan’s visit on February 14.

1. nene

March 10, 2014 at 5:52 pm

i will borrow a statement from a BN reader “the nigerian government is a reflection of the nigerian people”. no matter who goes into office, the story remains the same. smh

• bimpe

March 10, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Absolutely! Couldn’t have said it better

2. Oby

March 10, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Wow!!! I hv loads of respect for Onyeka Onwenu but reading this has just made an otherwise awesome day Sad! Why would she treat a fellow Nigerian, albeit a woman this badly! God is watching o! Talk of irony of life, and she is supposed to be head of Women’s kini? Development abi humiliation centre? Oga o!

• Noble (http://www.lagosconvo.com)

March 11, 2014 at 8:01 pm

okay, calm down. Don’t judge a story until you have heard both sides. Onyeka, over to you; tell your own side of the story.

3. X- Factor

March 10, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Really???
    The thought of future of our children as Nigerians living in Nigeria scares me….

4. Marvel

March 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Onyeka shouldn’t take the law into her hands no matter how famous. Even if the woman was a squatter, she shouldn’t be assaulted for goodness sake. An apology wouldn’t do. They would have to compensate her for any damages to her stock. What a shame!

• chi-e-z

March 13, 2014 at 6:02 am

I really doubt this story. Maybe b/c oyenka owenu is a wellesley alumn which every girl in U.S. knows is the place for women into law. I doubt but I was not there so can not fully justify my suspicion. And I guess schooling and law doesn’t mean everything.

5. anona

March 10, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Just because of this small appointment they gave her.. mgbeke is feeling cool. To even win her LGA elections she can’t. There is nothing Nigerians would not suffer. Why can’t we stand and fight to end this HEAVY YOKE our wicked elites have put on our neck.. kai.. If it was white people treating us the way the Nigerian government and the elites treat us we will scream Apartheid.

Colonialism and Apartheid is better than the reality we are leaving in Nigeria. Tufiakwa!

6. Onye Ara

March 10, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Why am I not surprised?

7. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

March 10, 2014 at 10:28 pm

HM! NA WA O!

8. Ajoke

March 10, 2014 at 10:47 pm

It is hard and painful when you read this!
    Just a strand of power shows people’s true colours!
    That is indeed her true colour,before the appointment she had been acting”so called one love”

9. SOLO ACT

March 11, 2014 at 3:32 am

this is why i have a hard time believing women that claim to champion other women and women that call themselves feminists. at the end of the day they just want to prove they are better than other women. onyeka has always acted like a true feminist yes she is involved in the beating of another woman. hmm

10. Gourmet Burrito

March 11, 2014 at 5:16 am

My theory…..Onyeka got a political appointment in exchange for her “One love keeps us together” song….SAD!

11. AA

March 11, 2014 at 9:16 am

Wow, everybody is dissing Onyeka Onwenu. I believe there are two sides to every story and then there is the truth. My guess is the complainant is not as innocent as she is making herself out to be. Yes, she should not have been assaulted, VERY BAD!!! But did she aggravate the situation? I think she did

• bisbec

March 11, 2014 at 10:53 am

I agree there are two sides to a story but this is not a new thing about Onyeka whom I love her song but not her personality.

12. Ada Nnewi

March 11, 2014 at 9:28 am

Onyeka Onwenu is a very badly behaved woman with an attitude problem..I’ve had one on one interactions with her so I believe this lady’s story.

13. Pretty

March 11, 2014 at 9:54 am

I BELIEVE too. Onyeka is an arrogant woman.

14. Stephanie

March 11, 2014 at 10:16 am

wonder wot to believe
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

15. SisiLondon

March 11, 2014 at 10:19 am

It’s silly for you guys to make conclusions based on one side of the story. Silly.

16. kam

March 11, 2014 at 11:10 am

the onyeka i know cannot do such thing…dont judge her yet coz you have not heard from her.

17. Hurperyearmie

March 12, 2014 at 8:39 am

if this is true then am so dissapointed

18. Ooooh

March 12, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Its soo unfair to jump to conclusionss like this. This lady was an ilegal occupant who had been given time to move out but was obviously a trouble maker, asking for allocation…haba! If someone occupies your space and you ask that someone to leave as you would need your space,does that give that someone the right to ask for some kind of compensation? Did she even have proper allocation rights to that space in the first place? Let’s not be too quick to judge just because the other party is a person of affluence.