News

23 Year Old Woman Dies While Trying to Rescue Fiance from Burning Flat

Sophie Rosser and Oscar Silva Bella Naija

You know you are truly loved when someone risks their life to save yours.

Sophie Rosser, a 23-year-old architect, died while trying to rescue her fiance, 28-year-old Oscar Silva, from a burning block of flats in East London that they lived in, which was on fire.

Rosser, who had just returned from a party early one morning, saw the fire, and called Silva on the phone to alert him to evacuate the building, as he had been asleep at the time.

He did not respond, and so she dashed into the building to try to save him. But unknown to her, Silva had taken the elevator to another floor in an attempt to escape the fire. They missed each other in the midst of the chaos, but paramedics were able to rescue him.

Rosser on the other hand, was unconscious when paramedics found her. She later passed away.

So sad.

Photo Credit: National News and Pictures/Daily Mail

1. Mz Socially Awkward...

April 29, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Oh, that’s really sad. And she did such a selfless thing, it’s going to crush her fiance to think he caused her death.

• Shoogah

April 29, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I don’t think this post mentioned or implied that he caused her death, the fire did. I think he will be more sad that she died trying to save him. May her soul RIP.

This is truly a sad story 🙁

• DoubleC

April 29, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I’m sorry.. What you said is different from hers how?

• Que

April 29, 2014 at 2:41 pm

?…u ended up saying d same thing MzSA was getting at in d different way.

2. Shoogah

April 29, 2014 at 2:52 pm

It’s different because:

Mz Socially Awkward stated that “it’s going to crush her fiance to think he caused her death”

and I said “I don’t think this post mentioned or implied that he caused her death, the fire did”

After you read these two different statements, then you will know the difference between what we both commented.

• Ari. L

April 29, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I am with you on that one. I thought exactly the same way when I read her comment.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

April 29, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Allow me to clarify. I wasn’t laying the cause of death at her fiancé’s door. My comment was an attempt to imagine the rollercoaster of emotions he probably will be passing through. And even though you have the benefit of seeing things from a broader perspective (i.e. she died from causes related to the fire, very possibly smoke inhalation), you will have to admit there’ll be a real chance that he’s going to be tortured by the thought that she only ventured into the building because of him. Which conclusion you’ve also reached in your earlier comment.

Apologies, I should have been more in depth with my first comment. 🙂

3. Thatgidigirl

April 29, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Maybe we should all drop comments on BN in our native dialects, cos una go leave story dey do brighter grammar lessons. Hian! moin moin, beans cake…same difference!

• masked

April 29, 2014 at 4:27 pm

LMAO!….How sad!

• i no send

April 29, 2014 at 5:00 pm

abi o..trying to form wole soyinka.lol

• Idak

April 29, 2014 at 5:29 pm

na im make I prefer my pidgin comments. Nobody get liver to correct me.

• Alero

April 30, 2014 at 10:56 am

That is because we learn everyday. Trust me, I learn more from intelligible comments here on BN, especially BN of the old. Comments should be well thought out before spewing!

4. may

April 29, 2014 at 4:22 pm

hahahahahahhohohohohokai….

5. Jayjay

April 29, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Naija people! Una go fight again for dis matter?? Choi??shes dead shes dead! Whether na fire o or na man! D babe don die. Just be sympathetic and stop causing arguments..

6. Aseye1

April 29, 2014 at 5:40 pm

How sad………. i guess true love still exists………. but it costs sooo much in this case.

7. Cool cat

April 29, 2014 at 5:59 pm

@idak mobs na wa o. Pidgin is the best. Lmao. No he didn’t cause her death, but he will forever live with the guilt of knowing she died because she was trying to save him. Cocoa na chocolate, ewa na beans

8. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

April 29, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Awww…may her kind heart RIP. Her fiancé must be so heartbroken.

9. Fade

April 30, 2014 at 11:08 am

hehehehehehe. it is well. May the soul of the departed rest in peace and Love…

10. BABY

April 30, 2014 at 11:34 am

things we do for love

11. Audrey

April 30, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Reading this, I think I’ve never truly loved. I don’t see myself risking my life to save another’s. When I bear children, then yea.
    it was a brave thing she did though, Rest Easy Lady.

12. Audrey

April 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Reading this, I think I’ve never truly loved. I don’t see myself risking my life for another’s. When I bear children, then yea.
    It was a brave thing she did though, Rest easy, Lady.

13. Beverly

May 5, 2014 at 3:09 am

🙁 this is really sad

14. cheruby

May 11, 2014 at 6:02 am

In d name of love.Sure he wud have done same if the table were turned.RIP lady