News

Gloria Jacobs: Game of Thrones

I was gisting with my friend last weekend when we delved into the frenzy on Twitter over the premiere of Game of Thrones, Season 4 Episode 1 on 6th April, 2014. I said, “Wow! GOT has become a huge brand” He disagreed with me. “It is good story telling”.

I was taken aback, good story telling? What does that really mean? Rolling my eyes over and over again, I sat up, grabbed my comb and began the Obama speech on why GOT has become a brand.

People wait for new episodes like they wait for iPhone new releases. Some go to any viewing centre to watch it like they were going to Heineken Champion Planet. I wear the GOT badge, boldly. I cheer when it is on. I cried when Eddard and Robb stark died just like Arsenal fans cried when Giroud missed an open shot against Everton some weeks ago. I will drink any beer GOT endorses.

It has 1.34million followers on Twitter that spans across continents. As at July, 2013, 146 American girl kids are named Khaleesi up 450% from 2011. Sunday’s 4th season debut drew 6.6 million viewers; the most since the finale of The Sopranos in 2007 which was seen by 11.9 million people. HBO Go, an online app for TV station HBO, that allows viewers to watch TV shows any time, crashed as tens of thousands tried to log on to watch the season premiere, Sunday night.

Needless to say, I did not sleep one bit that night. It premiered 9pm on HBO in America; I had to depend on live tweets to follow what happened to Jamie Lannister and Lord Frey e.t.c. I got to work with Garri sacks underneath my eyes, all for GOT.

The plot, cast, costume, great novel translation, lavish production values, set quality, seeing people in deserts, others in icy forests and the beautiful range of castles– without any of them striking a false note is what I find very overwhelming and sets it apart from other TV shows I have seen.

It is a great character driven show – Sansa’s innocence, Tyrion’s wit, Khal Drogo’s fierce looks, Tywin powerful and strong presence, Khaleesi’s transition to becoming the mother of dragons and many others have been consistently portrayed.

GOT has won over a devoted global fan like Obama who gets to see episodes in advance before anyone else and also me, Gloria of the house Jacobs, the first of her name who has sentenced her heart to love GOT forever.

1. Ayo

April 12, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I love GOT but Breaking Bad is my favorite!

2. Anon

April 12, 2014 at 3:56 pm

valar morghulis

• isi

April 12, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Valar Dohaeris

• Neo

April 12, 2014 at 11:02 pm

what is dead may never die

3. dolofin

April 12, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Games of thrones…..my heart beats for each episode……a classic series.

4. Miss_Flygerian

April 12, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Sansa’s innocence? Wtf? Which yeye innocence? That girl is just daft and stupid. Tywin Lannister is my main guy. He’s bad, I know. But his commanding, “don’t f- with me” presence is something I just can’t help but love. Very arrogant and ruthless but calm, calculating and intelligent And the imp, Tyrion of course. His wit and cleverness is up there. He is the only Lannister who’s got Tywin’s brain.

• Shawna

April 12, 2014 at 4:50 pm

lol.. I believe you’re going to love this season..

• Stephanie

April 14, 2014 at 8:13 am

I hope so….
      blogsvila.blogspot.com

• Miss_Flygerian

April 14, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Hell yeah, with Joffrey dead (God bless the person who poisoned him btw), I’m already loving it.

5. El patron medellin cartel

April 12, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I just can’t wait for lannisters to pay for their sins! The crazy tywin after killing the starks stole their sword and forged two swords out of it..badt guys! talk about valerian steel! Am a fan!

6. tammy

April 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Winter is coming..

7. @edDREAMZ

April 12, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I hate series film….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. Bex

April 12, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Can’t wait for the next episode? Simply download all the books in the ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ series and be ahead of all your friends. I couldn’t wait so I downloaded and read all the books…..I can give spoilers….anyone interested? LOL

bexcoox.blogspot.com

9. nnennaya

April 12, 2014 at 5:09 pm

@bex, I’ve read all five books last year thru a mutual friend. But the story isn’t over, do u know if the author has written more to complete the story? I need links to download it too.

• Non professional opinion

April 12, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Don’t try it!!!!

• idomagirl

April 12, 2014 at 8:10 pm

he’s currently working on book 6 and 7….

10. That African chic

April 12, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I am the greatest GOT fan ever…I am yet to meet anyone who is as passionate about the series as I am…I have been able to get all my friends who were not watching it so interested in it, we are always talking about every episode….Everything about the show is AWESOME..the plot, the characters, the setting, the language, the dialogues, the costumes, EVERY FREAKING thing is AWESOME.

I missed the premiere o f S04 but I am going to watch it tonight with a friend. This Dec 2014, I would organise a GOT themed party! Dress as your fav character! Suffice to say most people would be showing up as Tyrion Lannister/Daenerys Targaryen..or wait maybe dress up as your least fav character…sure Cersei/Tywin/The Hound/the Freys is gonna carry the day…

GOT is the best TV show EVER!!!!!

• Jackiee

April 12, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Oh I would love to attend; and of course i shall be dressed as Cersei, I have a love hate thing with her. Fact is most people do not understand Cersei and I get to relate with her on some level(Disclaimer: I do not have incestous sex with my twin who infact does not exist). But oh well, she is an amazing character. And I am indeed the GREATEST GOT fan ever.

• anon

April 12, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Khaleesiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• niyoola

April 12, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I am the biggest GOT fan.
      I’ve read all the books over and over …… I watch new episodes Monday morning, before heading to work (despite having read the book)
      I am addicted!

• nimi

April 12, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Sorry to bust your bubble babe. I am more passionate about GOT than you are. I love the series like crazy. I can’t wait to see the end…

11. Jade

April 12, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I thought I was alone in my love for GOT, why r u guys forgetting the men of the night watch. I love Jon Snow, he is tres cute, even Sam. Pls ensure you invite me for your themed party, I’d love to come. 🙂

12. Troll

April 12, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Arya Stark…my spirit animal! Love love love her to pieces. I hope she becomes a bad arse killer prolly trained by the hound. I can’t wait for her to kill Jeoffery…that nigga needs to die.

• niyoola

April 12, 2014 at 8:38 pm

You’ve got the whole plot wrong.
      Tomorrow’s episode will give you a lil’ joy though.

Arya does become bad ass, though the books haven’t shown a lot of her bad-assery!

• Troll

April 12, 2014 at 11:13 pm

So Joffery won’t die this season? Infact, don’t tell me. N no one mentioned the new character Oberyn…i think he’ll be among my favs. I hope he last sha.

• Troll

April 12, 2014 at 11:14 pm

*lasts

13. Blessmyheart

April 12, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I can’t believe you didn’t mention Arya Stark. My faves are Daenerys, Tyrion and Arya. I’ve read the books and I recently started watching the show all over again.

14. larakingz

April 12, 2014 at 9:54 pm

khalessi. That lady reminds me of what confidence is. …. at those rooting to be great fans.. thumbs up. It’s worth being a fan wish I have the same privilege Obama has *sulks*. Winter is here… @ that African chic would love to be at that theme party . would wear the costume of the chubby night watch dude (can’t remember his name) who married the lady whose father impregnated and gives the male Child out. *wide grin*

15. Ada

April 12, 2014 at 10:03 pm

LOL. I can’t even believe there is a post about GoT on Bellanaija. Who knew there were other die hard fans.
    That said, someone needs to kill Joffery fast. I totally dislike Sansa, she needs to grow some balls.
    I love Arya and Tyrion Lannister.

16. Lmshow

April 12, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Nice write up Awele. Luv you

17. Eve82

April 13, 2014 at 8:49 am

BN where is Gloria Edozien? Tell her I miss her loads! I have to confess, her writing got me hooked to Bella Naija. Girl if you are reading this, I miss your writing..xoxo!

• Fountain of Paper

April 13, 2014 at 10:42 am

Her name is Glory though…

• Eve82

April 13, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Thanks dear!

18. Chinma Eke

April 13, 2014 at 10:07 am

I looovvee GOT, avidly anticipate each new episode. Arya Stark $ the Khalise are my favorite women. The men, I try not to have any favorite, ‘cos they all die.

19. Africhic

April 13, 2014 at 10:24 am

My people. i love GOT. Favourites for me are Trion, Khaleesi and I hate and love Joffrey

• Africhic

April 13, 2014 at 10:24 am

*Tyrion

20. spicy

April 13, 2014 at 11:05 am

I’m too much of a die-hard fan of the books to get into the TV series. I read all the books in less than a week back in 2012 and i’ve been impatiently waiting ever since for the next books in the series. However I only lasted through the first episode of the TV series before turning off and going back to read the books all over again. It just didn’t strike me with the same resonance as the books did and my over wild imagination built a bigger picture of the story in my mind than the TV series could offer me. Maybe i’ll give it another try sha. But GOT fans who haven’t read the books, save yourself the misery and download them on your kindle. You can thank me later for the sleepless nights you’ll eventually get as a result lol. That African chic, I will looooove to come to that Party! please if it’s in london abeg drop your contacts details below lool

21. Anon

April 14, 2014 at 2:56 am

Joffrey IS DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Woohoo !!!

Halleluyah; Thank you Jesus, Thank you Lord
    It was about damn TIME !!!
    oooooohhhh, THANK YOU LORD
    DAYUUM

22. Hurperyeahmie

April 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I am a die hard fan of GOT can’t wait for other episode to come out