News

Man Sexually Assaults Sleeping Woman on British Airways Flight

Man Sexually Assaults Woman on British Airways Flight

A man was caught fondling a woman’s breast for five minutes, as she slept on a recent British Airways flight from London to San Francisco.

The unidentified woman was taking a nap when the male passenger, Vinay Pochampally, reached over from his seat behind her, and slipped his hand inside her blouse while other passengers watched, Daily Mail reports. He was reportedly intoxicated when he did this.

When the woman woke up and realized what was happening, Pochampally briskly removed his hand and ran down the aircraft aisle.

What is most shocking about this is that although the incident was later reported to flight attendants, none of the passengers attempted to stop the assault as it was happening.

Pochampally has been charged with simple assault.

***

Bella Naijarians, with the threat of sexual predators, terrorists, sleepy pilots, and other potential hazards, it looks like we all need to be more cautious than ever before while on flights.

Photo Credit: Blend Images LLC/Daily Mail

1. Miss_Flygerian

April 24, 2014 at 9:56 pm

What the hell? 😮 😮

2. Floxylicious

April 24, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Like Seriously…… Who does that?

3. moi

April 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Wonders shall never end!!!! LOL

4. JT

April 24, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Yep! Insane people flying all around. A friend told me a while back how some creepy guy attempted to kiss her on BA flight too. She gave him a dirty slap and the guy was asked to move seats promptly!

5. anonymous

April 24, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I can relate to this,had a similar experience inside maruwa on my way to Ribadu road ikoyi from obalende, this well dressed guy on a monday morning attempted fondling my breast,I was wearing a free chiffon blouse I gave him a dirty slap, funny thing was the other passengers and the maruwa driver didn’t say a wor.it was so annoying and disgusting.hmmmn things we see in this Lagos

• Temi Tope Adebayo

April 25, 2014 at 4:35 am

You are a tough woman!! Though I laughed a bit how to flunked him that good slap!

• Ane

April 25, 2014 at 9:19 am

Oh girl, I can you, too real.

6. Idak

April 24, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Simple assault,ke??
    What is simple about this gross act of violation?

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 25, 2014 at 12:05 am

They probably were trying to describe basic assault… or assault without battery & therefore the offender gets the lowest kind of sentencing possible for that category of crimes.

What a perv. He reminds me of a young schoolboy who sat next to me on one of those RTC danfo buses in Port Harcourt, many years ago (you know those mammoth, slow buses that run up and down Aba road) and during the ride I noticed he kept angling his waist towards me. Then I realised to my horror that he was trying to rub up his little penis against my thigh – a boy of what must have been 9 or 10years old, max. So I had some choice sharp words for him & advice of the slap which was coming his way AT ONCE if he didn’t get away from me.

BN, the other flight passengers didn’t say anything because they were probably filming it all on their smart devices for immediate uploading on YouTube/Facebook/Twitter/WhatsApp once they touched down. Human beings are, after all, truly mindless when it comes to their unquenchable thirst for voyeurism ….

• whocares

April 25, 2014 at 8:55 am

Perversion has no age limit o. I was on a bus, and this boy no more than 13 sat next to me, he had his hands in his pants and at first I ignored it, because I know people who have that bad habit. But then I noticed he kept glancing at my face, movements in his pants, and then the clincher? He was moaning!!!!!! I felt too violated to do anything. I promptly left.
      I find it incredulous that she slept through it. LOOL, and the passengers.. My goodness, what is wrong with people nowadays!?!?!?!!!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 25, 2014 at 10:30 am

@whocares, no be small “movement in his pants”. To all these depraved (abi are they simply deprived?) Sons of Adam, why na? Why must you traumatized unsuspecting females in the least expected places, when ashewo full inside market???

The fear of pepper-spray is the beginning of wisdom so warn yourselves, oh. Warn yourselves.

• Que

April 25, 2014 at 2:40 pm

@whocares, I feel u….yours was a boy, mine was a full grown man, couldnt have been under 35… it was as u described but worse….so here I am on a london bus, he comes on n takes d seat beside me, it starts with d permanent crotch grabbing n persistent rubbing, my first tot was ‘…okkk??…abi he has an infection there ni??’ As I no be doctor I just inched away, closer to my window… with my face looking outside, then came d question… ‘…hello, hello…sorry, do u mind if I play with myself??…’ my face n brain froze n eyballs almost jumped out, like seriously? Beside me? On a public bus? …n I returned ‘..nigga pls there r lots of empty seats around….MOVE!!!’ ?..n so he did, to an adjacent seat behind d driver, n I carried my face back out d window…. mins later, bus pulls by holborn station to pick pple, my face turns around again n there it was….his penis up in d air, n him fondling away! My neck flew bk wit lightening speed from disbelief….but my horror was nothing compared to the fully veiled arab woman who has just boarded n walked right into him! Talk about #pervertexpress! Got home n narrated to my mum, who’s response was ‘…thank God he didnt ask u to help him…’ . Mad people all over I tell ya!

7. Nikky

April 24, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Very disturbing pervert

8. Kiks

April 24, 2014 at 11:17 pm

People do stupid things and blame it on alcohol. Alcohol too has come to suffer

• Que

April 25, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Devil and Alcohol…

9. Iris

April 24, 2014 at 11:21 pm

What kind of wicked / perverted passengers were on that flight? They’ll soon get a psychiatrist on CNN to discuss the issue. The psychiatrist will diagnose the passengers who were watching with Bystander Hesitation Syndrome (BHS). It is simply a matter of doing the right thing and I wonder sometimes about this “not my business” culture that is growing. For all our flaws, I know that on a local Nigerian flight at least one busy-body would have slapped or at least shouted at that creep sharply.

• halima

April 25, 2014 at 12:00 am

My dear I beg to differ!
      I had a personal experience in a bus and when I raised alarm another male passenger said ‘as if u were not enjoying it’
      I caused the generations unborn of both d culprit n d commenter.
      At aleast d man in this report was charged with assult despite being said to be intoxicated…what do we get on this side of d divide?

• Bleed Blue

April 25, 2014 at 9:16 am

@halima That particular comment “as if you were not enjoying it”…unfortunately it seems a lot of Naija males think this way.I’ve heard it said a disturbing number of times.

The one that upset me to no limits was back in Uni, my best friend at the time who was male, I tearfully told him how one useless cult boy forcefully cornered me in a dark area outside lecture halls, and proceeded to hand-gratify himself while staring right at me (oh the weirdness of the human folk), and then he tore a page from my notebook and wiped himself and ran.

Best friend says “c’mon confess, you must have enjoyed it”.

Becomes ex-best friend.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 25, 2014 at 10:49 am

@Bleed blue, it’s symptomatic of that deep-rooted complex which a lot of men buy into – i.e. any woman who’s not their mother or sister must be a closet nymphomaniac who is “gagging for it”. And of course, if you combine that with the constant female sexualization which is out there (& which us females also contribute to), you end up with the sort of damaged reasoning your ex-friend unveiled.

The antics of that cult-boy, sha… That na another analysis for another day but thank God he didn’t inflict any additional physical harm.

@halima, my dear, since we don’t have much chance of getting assault convictions on this side of the globe, then at the very least the woman should be able to satisfy herself with giving him a hot slap, abi? However, violence may only beget more violence…

10. Keep Calm and Eat Cake

April 24, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Was the woman he fondled, his wife? That would explain a lot.

11. Creamissh

April 25, 2014 at 12:19 am

Sick twisted perverts… They just sat down there and watched, like seriously, why people don’t speak out when something wrong is happening around them is beyond me. Were they scared of the guy ni or what , what’s the worst thAt could happen

12. huummm

April 25, 2014 at 1:16 am

Eww , the passengers watching and doing nothing should be ashamed of themselves. As for the drunk douchbag doing the fondling, the victim should have given him a serious beat down. WHO DOES THAT!!!

13. Author Unknown

April 25, 2014 at 2:28 am

Where exactly was he running to? LOL. Yeye Indian man.

14. somido

April 25, 2014 at 3:30 am

Other passengers probably thought they were together. I would think the same cos not in a million years would it cross my mind that anyone would have the guts to do that to a stranger in public. Smh

15. Temi Tope Adebayo

April 25, 2014 at 4:33 am

He is either sick or was so drunk he could not control himself! Wow!! I am astounded !

16. Tobenna

April 25, 2014 at 6:54 am

Ok So, Some of you are asking why the passengers did not do anything. I currently live in the State of California, For you to understand why the passengers did not do or say anything, You have to Understand how Americans think, Most Americans do not put their mouth on things or incidents that are non of their business. I have personally witnessed many incidents like the one in question, In America, People will just keep their face straight as they pass by as if they did not see what was going on, One time in Manhattan Beach California, I witnessed an incident where a guy was beating his girl in public, Nobody said or do anything, I was really surprised to see that in America, As someone who came from Igboland, I know that if that was in my town that the guy was beating the girl in public, people will try to stop him, and i’m sure that some people will even try to beat him up for beating his girlfriend.

So you can understand why the people in that flight kept quiet while the guy was playing with the woman’s Bum Bum, Also keep in mind that most people in that flight (like any other flight) did not know each other, So the passengers who witnessed the incident could have thought that the man and the women was traveling to together. (American couples kiss and torch themselves a lot in public). So you can Imagine why the passengers will assume that they are traveling together.

Also, Most Americans drink a lot before traveling on an airplane ( I have lots of American friends that do that).
    In my opinion, I think that the woman was drunk too ( this does not justify what the guy did) but Think about it, How can a drunk man be playing with your breast for five minutes and you did not wake up until after five minutes, Come on, Which kind sleep be that ?., Obu Ozu ?.

So when you put all these things together, You can understand why the incident happened.

The lesson here is – Don’t Drink Alcohol before getting into an Airplane, Because you are going to surrounded by strangers and needs to be vigilant.

Ekene Kwa Mu Nu.

• Will

April 25, 2014 at 7:45 am

Gbam!!!

• hmmmmmm

April 25, 2014 at 10:05 am

You make a lot of sense but I have to correct your assumption that the passengers on the plane were all American. Just because the flight was headed to NYC does not mean all the passengers were American in fact you may be surprised that only a fifth of them were American. So my dear this has nothing to do with American culture but more to do with the fact that the passengers most likely thought those two were traveling together hence the reason for no one doing anything.

• hmmmmmm

April 25, 2014 at 10:07 am

New York on my mind sorry flight was headed to San Fransisco

17. Uniben

April 25, 2014 at 7:25 am

This is really vry annoying! I have had similar experience during my Uni days. Was travelling from lag to Benin, and seated on one of those collapsible seat at the extreme close to the door,while half asleep in the bus i noticed a hand creeping from my side to my boobs i thought i was dreaming but the stains his dirty hands left on my top made me come to reality. I gave him a dirty slap when i turned back! He couldn’t even talk cos he had guilt written all over him and my co passengers insulted the livin daylight out of him. Sleep clear for my eyes sharply!

18. zzzzz

April 25, 2014 at 7:45 am

Not just in the airplane even in our buses here in Lagos. you can hardly even sit near a guy who would respect himself and keep his hand or whatever to himself. That’s why most time i like to sit at the back seat where i know no one would disturb.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 25, 2014 at 10:56 am

Limiting the locations of casual sexual assault in Naija to just buses isnt even scratching the surface. What of those resourceful men who have recognized benefits of crowded situations as an ideal opportunity to press their nether regions against some lady’s bum? All because una dey “form line” abi wetin?

E remain to put electrodes inside one’s clothes, make e begin dey shock any body wey wan misbehave around you.

19. Stella Kashmomey

April 25, 2014 at 7:52 am

The guy should be flogged.

20. Busarni

April 25, 2014 at 8:24 am

Haha; Konji na bastard.

• Idak

April 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm

kinji mixed with mental imbalance.

21. meme

April 25, 2014 at 8:28 am

it has happened to me too from 7&8 b/stop to my office in a keke a man was sitting beside me & d next thing i found his hands on my laps.i don’t knw if d use cham.how he managed to put his hands there i don’t knw,becos i didn’t feel any touch at all

• Lusshi

April 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Lol…You kill me mehn

22. DJ STELCH

April 25, 2014 at 8:56 am

Heheheh this dude is such a clown, the breast must be as Big as COSSY’S, Even the guy name sef sounds like champaign (Vinay Pochampally) which is enough Highness for him.. BN come to think of it, why should the Passengers stop him, Apperently it was Entertaining and i guess they too must have felt KUNKY!! Anywaz i love the way you said this:: (READ IT SLOWLY) Vinay Pochampally, reached over from his seat behind her, and slipped his hand inside her blouse while other passengers watched.. Hmmm quite Sexy init?? Lol..

……………..
    ¤GROWN MAN IN A YOUNG BODY¤

23. Noms

April 25, 2014 at 9:05 am

He just fondled the breast. . .slender matter.
    We had a case in Uni of a guy who actually s..ked a girl’s boobs when they were both reading at night in class (awoko). They were both strangers and other students where in the class with them.
    I guess she was having a sweet dreaaammmmm only to find out it was real.
    What happened to the guy? Nothing!
    Was he drunk? No, because he came to read.
    So??
    Ladies,if you don’t sleep light, avoid sleeping in public places.
    Sometimes, this assault could also come from people you know and ‘trust’, so i wouldn’t say ”avoid sleeping in place where there are strangers”.
    Sleep right and tight!

24. neon

April 25, 2014 at 9:24 am

wait.. she slept through 5mins of her breast being fondled?? how?? was she drunk too?

25. masked

April 25, 2014 at 9:42 am

i still don’t understand what kind of sleep will make someone touch your boobies for 10secs without waking up talk more of 5mins…she must have been enjoying it too

• hmmmmmm

April 25, 2014 at 10:11 am

It is very possible imagine she didn’t sleep the night before or was on transit through London from another destination where she had spent 8-10 hours in a plane from a different time zone. Jet lag is real! My friend gets knocked out the moment the plane takes off and wakes up as the captain is announcing the descent her reasons she is a nervous flyer so she always pops a sleeping pill before flying and has a no meal request for the FAs so no one wakes her up to eat that way she is knocked out for a good 6-8 hours. So it is very possible for someone to be violated without being aware in sleep.

26. FunkyW

April 25, 2014 at 9:46 am

My own experience was in the bus, this guy was sitting extremely close to me, his legs were angled awkwardly and his thighs were so stiff against mine, I tried my best to shift away and didn’t complain because I sincerely thought he was physically challenged and I would be embarrassing him. Only for him to get down from the bus and then I saw he wasn’t disabled, I was so upset and embarrassed. You can only imagine that the following week we entered the same bus again and he wanted to try his stunts, this time around I shouted at him and changed seats when I had the opportunity to.

27. Mz Socially Awkward...

April 25, 2014 at 12:13 pm

@hmmmmmmmmmm, I saw that “she must have been enjoying it too” & decided to restrain myself from responding, lest the harshness of my response stir up any feelings within me other than joy on this long-awaited start to my weekend.

You’ve made a good point about conking out on-board flights. I’m that traveller who doesn’t get properly organized until the very night (& sometimes morning) of my flight and if it’s a flight to Naija, omo, no sleep for me at all. Na packing, repacking, weighing and reweighing wey get me all night long before racing to the airport like a mad woman. So I’ll definitely be ignoring the inflight movies and crashing like a log once we’re in the air.

Another reason I thought of, which may explain why the lady slept through it for those 5mins was that she could have confused what was happening with a dream. We often experience those moments of “wakeful dreaming” when we’re coming out of deep sleep and something which is happening in our physical environment translates itself into a fragment of our dream. The mind becomes aware and picks it up but we’re don’t become fully awake for another few minutes.

Or she may have taken a strong drink that knocked her for six. There are too many plausible reasons to look at before one can reach the final conclusion that “she must have been enjoying it”.

28. nene

April 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm

white people…they just mind their business even in extreme circumstances. too bad of them, with their philosophy of individualism.

29. Somebody

April 25, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Someone was violated and some nincompoops say she must have been enjoying it. What kind of backward mentality is that? That’s how a woman would get raped and the next thing she will be asked is didn’t you enjoy it? Very styoooooopid statement.
    I was at a very close family friend’s place to spend sometime with them ages ago, ended up ill. The mother who is also a nurse gave me a drug that knocked me out. I fell asleep on a sofa in the living room. Next thing I know in the middle of the night someone is rubbing my crotch. I don’t even know how long it went on for but by the time I came out of my ‘druggy’ sleep all I could do was weakly slap the hand away. Sleep took over again. Who rubbed me? I don’t know. I packed my bags the next day and I stay well away from the family.
    I didn’t enjoy it but I was too weak to fight.

30. Omo1

April 25, 2014 at 2:41 pm

The only reasons that could explain why no one did or say anything is 1., Oyinbos are a very “mind your business” kind of people, so they probably thought the two was a couple and displaying some public affection, public display of affection is nothing to this people, they can kiss, fondle and cuddle in public and nobody blinks! 2. They where probably to puzzled to even say or do anything.

Sometime ago I had this encounter in an 8 seater bus on my way to the market. There was this young decent looking man seated beside me. At a point I noticed he was getting closer to me in a funny way, I wanted to make sure so I just chilled.

He made it look like the movement of the bus was edging him closer to me, then I felt him start to move his upper arm closer to my breast. My dear Bella Naijas, its not as if I even had that much boobs to show oh, neither was it overly exposed. When I was sure what he was moving at, I made sure I had the attention of everyone by raising my voice and telling the guy that if he doesn’t move far away from me the slap he would get will be more than what he would get from an agbero. Seeing everyone turning to look at him, he immediately shifted far and poked his head out of the window. He remained that way till we got to our destination. Mscheww. Sick perverts on the prowl everywhere.

If I was that lady, an immediate reflex action! First, a very hot slap at the feel of those hands! Then anything else would follow.

31. CrystalWhite

April 25, 2014 at 4:02 pm

It happened to me in church First sunday of this year. When the guy kept moving towards me with his chair and rubbing me I thought he was mental, but i took a closer look at his feet,his toe- nails were so clean and i knew he was normal.
    When i shift the guy ll move his chair closer and funny enough people were sitting behind us and saw the hole thing.
    Next thing the guy came real close and started rubbing me. The way and manner i pushed him hmmm the force of the push move the guy and his chair. Then i overhead people behind giggling cos they saw everything that happened.
    By the time i could draw an attention of a protocol he ran out.

32. Charles Akoma

August 12, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Sick people everywhere.

33. Mowthey Freeflow

January 17, 2016 at 7:12 am

Amazing how common this is among certain orangutans who think this is “normal” and that “she / you must have enjoyed it.” Where are these gorillas from? Their momma’s ANUS??! Any normal, civilized guy knows that women don’t like sex!! 😀

It’s unfortunate that this kinda thing happens more often on those “kinds” of flights and journeys. In the civilized world, people don’t have to worry about this type of thing as much, but I guess nowadays just about anything could happen anywhere…