Music

Must Read! Banky W: “My Thoughts on the Arik Air Debacle”

BellaNaija.com

Banky W Arik

Recently, footage from a camera phone has surfaced online about the dire circumstances that passengers suffered prior to take-off, on board an Arik Air flight from Lagos to New York; I was one of the passengers.

For anyone who has not seen the footage, it’s available on YouTube and various News websites and blogs. However, for purposes of this write-up, I will recount what happened.

The flight was scheduled to take off at about 11:50pm on March 31, 2014. Boarding was completed on time, and all the passengers settled in their seats and prepared for the flight to begin. However, there seemed to be a delay in operations because although the ground crew had exited the aircraft and the cabin doors were shut, we weren’t moving.

The pilot announced that there was a small delay in the ground crew operations on the plane, and that we should be patient as the flight would depart ‘in a few minutes’.

The problem was, the air conditioning was not turned on. Midnight soon passed, and there was still no A/C, neither did it feel like we were going anywhere, anytime soon. Passengers were vigorously fanning themselves, asking for water and ice from the crew, and doing whatever they could to stay cool and hydrated. The reality was that the heat in the plane was quite frankly unbearable.

Arik-Air-April-2014-600x364

It’s hot enough in Nigeria these days, and then you couple that with a cabin whose doors have been shut, and a bunch of people locked inside that enclosed space… suffice it to say it escalated from bad to worse very quickly. The Captain made another announcement about how he’s ‘sorry for the delay, but it was due to the ground operations’, and that there was only one engine on and that was why the A/C could not be turned on yet. By now it was well past 12:30 and people were becoming extremely frustrated.

Parents had begun taking the clothes off their children, children were crying, one lady looked like she would faint. Still, there was no further update on when we would take off and when the A/C would come on. Almost an hour into this debacle, many passengers became justifiably irate. We were all drenched in sweat, burning hot, and it was hard to breathe properly. Now, let me interject here to say this… I believe that up till now, it was actually Arik’s policy to not turn on the A/C on their Aircrafts until take-off.

I’m not sure why, but I’ve flown on many of their local routes within Nigeria and 100 per cent of the time, this is always the case. The difference though is that usually, once boarding has been completed, it only takes a few minutes before take-off begins, and the A/C comes on pretty quickly, so while it’s unacceptable, it has been… tolerable. In this case however, we had been on board for well over an hour, and now passengers that had surged up front into my section actually said people were fainting, and more people were going to pass out. It was disastrous, to say the least. Just before the passengers surged into my section up front (I was in seat 1A), I actually saw the pilots pull one foreign air hostess into the cockpit and lock the door behind them. I suspect that either the A/C may have been on in the Cockpit, or that he was concerned for his and her safety because the shouting from the back indicated that people were in a state of panic and riot.

Either way, I thought his actions came off as incredibly ignorant and prejudice against the Nigerian staff (who were doing their absolute best to try and calm people down), and against the very Nigerian passengers who he was employed to take care of. As the people surged up front and started banging on the cockpit door, the Captain made yet another announcement that people should be patient for a few more minutes, and of course it had been well over an hour so none of the irate passengers were having it. He also said that if people did not go back to their assigned seats, he would have to call the police.

Of course this did nothing but provide further incentive for people to be angry, frustrated, irate… you name it.

By this time, the entire section around my seat was filled with screaming passengers, banging on the cockpit door and yelling at the Nigerian Staff who were still pleading with us.

I actually feared for the safety of the Air Hostesses, and for the equipment on the plane; the captain was not saying anything to calm people down, and would not dare show his face, and was not hearkening to the cries of people that he should open the cabin doors and let us out until they were actually ready to take off.

I feared that more drastic measures were going to be taken by the irate passengers, which is why I stood up at that point to try and calm them down. My reasoning was that I’d been on enough Arik flights to know that this was their policy, so I didn’t feel like the plane was not fit to fly. I suggested that seeing as we’d already waited that long, we give them another 5-10 minutes, because if we disrupted the flight or caused damage, they would have to kick us off and begin the entire process from start.

Some of the passengers calmed down after I spoke, while some were just intent on fighting or doing something drastic to express their displeasure… (one very short angry man actually tried to take out his anger on me, but I felt bad for him so I didn’t let that escalate). In any case, soon after that, the Captain announced he was beginning take-off procedures, and I felt the A/C come on.

This further helped me make my case to the passengers, and most of the people started going back to their seats. What further shocked me at this point was that the Captain actually started taxiing the plane on the runway, while people were still making their way back to their seats. This seemed to be both dangerous AND illegal, in my opinion.

To be fair though, it did motivate people to quickly rush back to their seats. Including our short and topless irate friend who at this time was screaming at the top of his lungs. After this though, the rest of the flight went on incident free, thank God. Many news agencies, upon seeing me in the footage online, have contacted me asking for details of what happened, and my opinion on the incident. My thoughts are as follows: it was an avoidable disaster, and one that could have ended up much worse for the staff and equipment of Arik Air.

This policy of enclosing passengers within a cabin with no A/C is senseless; I suspect that it saves them some money because they don’t need to rent/buy ground power units to power the planes while they finish their operations, but it is unfair, cruel and inhumane to the clients of the airline to subject their comfort and even health to such conditions, all in the name of cutting costs.

A few years ago, I took this flight route on Arik Air for the first time, primarily because I needed to be in NYC as quickly as possible on business, and they were the only carrier that went directly with no layovers. I was very impressed by pretty much every aspect of the flight. It was convenient and clean; the seats were big and comfortable; the staff was friendly and courteous; I was so impressed that for a short while, I stopped using my usual international Carriers. The one downside at the time, was that the food wasn’t quite the best, and there was no frequent flier mileage program. I remember filling out a suggestion form at the time, along with some other passengers, and we all commented that the food could be better.

Shortly after that, I was beyond impressed to find that they had changed their menu and food supplier, and stepped up the quality to the point that it was as good, or better than most other carriers. It felt like they were really responding to the needs and expectations of their patrons, and I thought this was a great start for the Airline.

I’m a proud Nigerian… and I’m a fan of all things good that are Nigerian. We have many issues as a country, but I’ve always been of the opinion that we have to fix ourselves. We have to police ourselves, and play our part in changing Nigeria and making Her better. As such, whenever possible, I try to support Nigerian owned businesses. My suits, for instance, are made by Mai Atafo; he has impressed me so much that I now refuse to buy suits from anywhere else in the world, because of the quality of his craftsmanship; and it is a source of pride for me when I’m asked by colleagues, clients and fans around the world where I got my suit from, and I’m able to tell them that it was made by a Nigerian Designer.

Arik is currently our only airline that flies to international cities like London and New York; however instead of being a source of pride, they’ve allowed their standards to drop over time. There are 24 seats in my section, about 10 of them are not functional and have not been in months.

The entertainment system is a joke; there are only a handful of TV shows and films available for viewing, and they are the same exact films/shows that were available years ago when they started flying to NYC. They literally have not changed the movies in YEARS. They just flat out refuse to upgrade what they have, and seem content to let it deteriorate. There is still no frequent flier program, even though for years they told passengers to hold on to their boarding passes, as it would soon commence. ‘Soon’ has taken an eternity with no end in sight.

Attention to detail is crucial, and very often, it is the difference between greatness and mediocrity; between growth and decline, success and failure. I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out some of the positives that the airline still has. For one, I’ve found their Nigerian staff to be very polite, courteous and helpful. The food quality is still great – I have no complaints on anything I’ve tasted so far, other than the fish pepper soup – yuck! The duck however, was fantastic, as well as everything else I’ve eaten on board.

Generally speaking, their cleanliness standards have not dropped either, thank God. And lastly, the direct flight to NYC remains as convenient as it gets for someone like me who sometimes needs to save time spent in European layovers. I’ve witnessed them make positive changes before due to the suggestion surveys passengers filled out; my hope, in writing this, is that they do the same again, fix the issues and give us a Nigerian Airline that will be a source of pride, not pain. – B.W.

PS: Not everyone needs to be in NYC like myself; I suggest to the powers that be, to try and partner with an American carrier, so that once you touch down in NY, you can easily transition to a local flight to take you to your final destination. PPS: I apologize for the extremely long article. I have even more to say but this will have to do….

***
Arik Air has since released a statement on the incident – click here to read

The story was first published on The NET NG

1. slice

April 8, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Banky and this short man. Be like say the man vex Banky well

2. Miss_Flygerian

April 8, 2014 at 5:08 pm

So the ACs can only be turned on when the plane is about to take off? What kind of senseless policy is that? I can’t believe the pilots took the foreign air hostess into the safety of the cockpit and started taxiing the plane when people were still making their way to their seats. Stupid airline, insensitive pilots. I’d be damned if I have to use Arik, an airline characterized by negligence and gross ineptitude. They don’t care about the welfare of their passengers. The stupid statement they released can attest to that. The gods forbid that I have to use Arik to travel anywhere.

3. Emy

April 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm

But seriously tho’ Arik Air needs overhauling! They wont use 30kg to kill us now just bcos we want to carry load and use cheap plane. And yes! That their entertainment system, lawd have mercy. I have watched all d movies on lagos to london flight over and over again. If you are lucky enuf, d sound system might work otherwise u go just de watch the screen like that till sleep catch u or till u land. If u see earphones wey work sef, thank your stars. Arik never see competition nai make.

4. iyke

April 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Na wao … I haven’t flown before, so have no idea what the issue is all about. All I know be say any day that am going to fly go obodo oyibo, me I no wan hear this story o.

• Hurperyearmie

April 8, 2014 at 5:26 pm

my brother na same boat carry us o

• Muyiwa

April 8, 2014 at 6:02 pm

just imagine being in those iron containers with no fan or a/c…..with the door shut

• Stephanie

April 9, 2014 at 6:00 am

lol…u won’t, don’t wori
      blogsvila.blogspot.com

5. Lola

April 8, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Wow.. The level of negligence is astounding.. Even more so is the fact the there is no one to call them up on it!

6. Emy

April 8, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Btw nor b until plane crash de go suspend licence.

7. HRS_Cindy

April 8, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Jesu! *wide-eyed* I have absolutely no idea what I’d have done in this situation, probably fainted too. Was just thinking about how the AC’s in the local aircrafts never do me justice, and this one’s totally not on sef. Chai! Thank God it didn’t escalate into something worse…my dear country naija, how long?

8. Deepa

April 8, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Is Banky boasting or what. Started well but became superficial and annoying with the description of his ‘section’. If you are doing a critical analysis of the experience, do so. No need to explain your preference of NIgerian airlines. It’s your money. Be more mature.

• CarliforniaBawlar

April 8, 2014 at 5:55 pm

HABA!! Eyin Aye!! Out of everything he said? that’s all you can pick? Your comment must be a joke and you just forgot to put the ‘LOL’ clause at the end. I noticed he purposely went out of his way not to mention he was in first-class. And yes!! You should expect better treatment if you are in ‘his section’…nothing superficial about that! Also I do feel his need to mention reasons for his preference for flying with Arik. Whatever those reasons are, are in fact crucial to a fair criticism of the Airline as-is now.
      Maybe you need to be more mature in your thinking and analysis.

n.b. Why do I feel like a BankyDoubluVee voltron?? Oga if you read this, just marry me already and lets get this over with 😉 😉

• Dr. N

April 8, 2014 at 6:11 pm

U have to fight Atoke for him O!

• CarliforniaBawlar

April 8, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Hian!! she should bring it on jo….Abeg where was she when her BN colleagues were approving comments demeaning to OUR man?? Atoke ooo! where were you?**clapping my hands and shaking my waist simultaneously** Yah see?!…Atoke don follow her TARTY something yr-old bobo go chop Mickey-Dees…hehehe

• Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 8, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Lmaooooo @ TAARTYY sumthn year old bobo….Atoke will not live that one down!

• Tosin

April 8, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I read the whole thing. All I remember is Seat 1A. Lol. Just kidding. Sorta.
      Mr Dubbly-U is always articulate. It would have been so much more fun to watch if he was like fighting or something instead of being the gentleman – guess I’d have to wait for his Nollywood debut for that lol.

• Author Unknown

April 9, 2014 at 3:44 am

I think he mentioned his section to give us an idea his proximity to the cockpit. Didn’t sound boastful at all…to me.

• Lyeoreviews

November 1, 2015 at 11:01 am

Nope! I don’t v to respond to you but I didn’t think he was boasting. It’s actually quite good for him to appreciate Nigerian-made stuff…

9. Concerned_Boyfriend

April 8, 2014 at 5:35 pm

If Arik is really serious about customer service, this is a unique opportunity for them to make that change. Fortunately for Arik, this negative PR could translate to more revenue for them if they handle it right. Having Banky W on that plane was a blessing in disguise for Arik and I hope they’re able to capitalize on that. Contract Banky W as you re-brand, fix all that needed to be fixed with your operation and watch your revenue grow!. Unfortunately, a lot of those in management in Nigeria don’t know how to turn situations like this in their favor..

• Mojiji

April 9, 2014 at 9:59 am

hmmm u must be into PR see ow u just sell Banky to Arik he must pay 10% wen d deal don confirm o lol

10. chy

April 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Well written

11. Damojo

April 8, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Banky W should go n sit down jor. Was he d only one on the flight? Why is he going online making noise abt d issue when the airline coy already issued a letter of apology n also promised to compensate d passengers.
    If only he dedicates this much time to hits making, he would have been nominated for Grammy sorry Hip Hop Music Awards

• Bims

April 8, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Why are you hating on this guy. Dem force you to read the article or what? You should be the one to sit down and allow reasonable people comment, okay?

• Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 8, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Bims why are you elevating this nuisance…..hating is for people with something to offer… this one is just a plain waste of cyberspace. Someone is using his public appeal which he has EARNED by the nature of his work, to lend voice to a VERY SERIOUS issue, especially from a firsthand point of view, and one miscreant is here yarning pants!!!

• Joey A

April 9, 2014 at 4:55 am

STFU… Banky is an Idiot… Dont nobody care what seat number you were in….Or is he ashamed of flying Arik…Ol broke ass –

• AW

April 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm

You my friend, represent everything that is wrong with Nigeria. People like you stand in the way of those who want to change things. I sorry for u!

• SoChi

April 8, 2014 at 6:56 pm

You people ask why we don’t move forward in Naija. Look no further, it is the people. Aunty/Uncle, he should make noise. Compensate my foot, more than likely that is not going to happen. If I fainted on that flight, how much money would they give me to compensate? We need to stop taking nonsense from these companies. Naija people so used to half half everything.

• Iris

April 8, 2014 at 7:01 pm

First of all if you call that statement they issued with the second-hand shade they attempted to throw at rightfully irate passengers an “apology”, you obviously cannot read. Secondly no mention of compensation was made in that statement. It’s people like you they’ll used to do cranial football with vague and superfluous phrases like “restitution of trust”. Someone of above average intelligence who was on the plane is trying to make Nigerians stand up for themselves and you’re there running your mouth and sitting on people’s rights to exercise common sense. Maybe your relative is an Arik Executive. FOH

• Iris

April 8, 2014 at 7:03 pm

use*

• Commenter of Commenters

April 8, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Damojo you go and sit down. On a hot stove.

• Tosin

April 8, 2014 at 10:50 pm

But fake commenters crack me up.

• Commenter of Commenters

April 9, 2014 at 1:22 pm

But Tosin make some sense please

12. ForeverYoung

April 8, 2014 at 5:44 pm

*sigh*…. The average Nigerian and rudeness, did this man need to refer to the man as “very short and angry” to put his point across? It seems to me like it was used in a derogatory way probably in a bid to belittle the man who probably didn’t know who he is and was bold enough to speak out for himself. Do this so called Nigerian entertainers have people read their publications before they put it out there? How would he feel if another person released a similar article terming him is as a “big watermelon headed looking shining bald man that looked like he had no neck” ? So because he has blogs as a platform he now wants to settle scores with a man he had an altercation with in a plane? Tacky to say the least.
    This Arik saga is simple, almost every corporation is in business for profit. This means they need customers to make money. There has to be a certain number of passenger in a period in order for them to make profit,if you stop flying them and they stop making profit, they will fight for your business . Also if you are a dissatisfied customer, why are you a repeat customer? Before Arik people travelled from point A to B , so why are people stuck on them? I don’t get it, if you buy some food from a restaurant and get sick do you back there to eat? This is 2014 we are not in a choiceless world.

• El patron medellin cartel

April 8, 2014 at 7:22 pm

@foreveryoung much respect! You said it all!

• Mzlyrics

April 8, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Well said Forever Young! He didn’t need to describe the dude as such. Also the mention of ‘I was in 1A’, I feel was quite unnecessary too. Guess He feels the need to prove to us all that he no fly economy o!lol Thanks for enlightening us though on all that went down. To Arik Air, I have no words for you!!!

• Que.....glad to have my avatar back!

April 8, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I agree about that reference…. from an equally short man nonetheless … it could have been better put.

• Person

April 9, 2014 at 10:57 am

WELL-SAID. The article rubbed me wrong, but I didn’t know why. Thanks for pointing that out. I see a subtle advertisement for Arik sef. All the airlines I have taken in this world always have their ACs on the moment the pilot gets on the plane and starts boarding. I have sat on a plane in Burlington for 2hrs before. They gave us food and the conditioning was on the whole freaking time!

• Dayo

April 9, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Maybe he did not have to, but frankly it paints a much more vivid visual picture.

Btw, sadly my own Nigerian experience has been that unfortunately the shortest dudes quite often tend to be the angriest – and the loudest! LOL!

• xoxo

April 9, 2014 at 2:15 pm

So, it’s Ok for you to say Banky was rude, how about you being in his shoes, and just as you were about to calm people down, being polite and all, only for you to have someone shouting and being rude too you?
      IMO, he acted as a gentleman in that situation, and he has a right to vent his anger at this man in his article. Except, you must be related to the “short guy” for you to think otherwise.

13. Vee

April 8, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Very stupid and useless airline, thank God they all arrived safely. With Arik, it is always one story or the other,……missing luggage, delayed and missed flights and am sure more. My mother flew them from Nigeria to NY less than a year ago, and they witnessed similar situation, but they never took off until the next day. That will be the last time my family will fly Arik. But the bad thing is that people experience this inhuman situation week after week, and still fly this same hopeless airline. The lady in the clip said this same situation happened to her in Dec and yet she patronized them again?? I think Nigerians should boycott this airline since they do not want to treat us right, but will treat the foreign hostess better than the Nigerian hostess. After all, our tickets pay their salaries and if they do not treat us right, they should keep their airline. Nijas please boycott Arik air…O!!! As for me and my household, we will never fly this stinky airline again until they make changes.

14. missy

April 8, 2014 at 6:08 pm

What will make me fly Arik is still not really clear to me, hmmm. Sounds like something one would regret

15. Concerned_Boyfriend

April 8, 2014 at 6:14 pm

@ForeverYoung, should we continue to embrace lawlessness and uncivilized acts all because we want people to vent ?. We all watched the video, he was vertically challenged, he was visibly angry, very angry. That you would think that Banky W would vilify this man by calling him what we all saw him to be (short and angry) says a lot about how your biased views. People are required to maintain certain decorum in public space regardless of the situation they find themselves in. Besides, he was not the only passenger on that plane that was heated (pun intended), he was extremely irate and that kind of behavior should be rebuked.

• Roselyn

April 9, 2014 at 12:54 am

Nope! He’s behavior should NOT be rebuked! Nigerians have been silent too long! It is about time! In that video we saw how they gradually graduated to that state if hysteria. They asked them severally to let them out! NO ONE OF THE ARIK STAFF attended to them! This is a matter if your life and you ask for decorum??? Fake sense of class!…till they die… * pats weave and struts away*

16. Trace

April 8, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Banky well said, u analysed d situation very well. It is well with our nigerian multinational companies.

17. AW

April 8, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Ah you are! The captain has a lot to answer for! He as the most senior staff aboard the aircraft represents Arik Air. Instead of diffusing the problem on behalf of the management, he was busy practising racism and segregation. Imagine the cheek! When it comes to earning money off a Nigerian company, he does not bat an eyelid, but he can’t treat Nigerian passengers who make his salary possible, with respect. I don’t blame him, it’s the Nigerian mentality that believes that having an Oyinbo on your payroll shows that your business is successful or good, that I blame.

18. Buchi Samuel

April 8, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I don’t think this was written by Banky W, because he would not have said one very short angry man, what has the height of the man got to do with the general explanation. Writers, please learn to respect people.

• aminawon

April 8, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I dont understand why people regard “short” as being an insult. we seem to have an idea in our mind of how people should be described. If you said “ugly”, its understandable (a matter of opinion), but short, tall, etc… is a fact, not an insult. Afterall, you cant make yourself shorter or taller…(not without heels anyway)

• ForeverYoung

April 8, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Amina, being short to me is not an insult, just as being tall isn’t.
      In Banky’s case it was unnecessary to use the adjective to get his point across . There was only one man he was arguing with, if there was a tall and a short man and he needed to tell them apart and he referred to him as short, no one including the man himself would take offense. In this case adding short in a bid to describe him added absolutely to value to his write up, except a tone of scorn and negativity. We all know when shade is being thrown, people are bullied everyday for being too thin, tall, short, fat, big headed etc some have committed suicide as a result , yet all these words are known as adjectives and not insults….it’s not the word, it’s how it’s used.

• Buchi Samuel

April 8, 2014 at 10:43 pm

If that man hard understood things with Banky W, without argument, I guess BW would have just used (one man) instead of (one very short man). Does the man look very short to me and you?. In UK or USA, Banky W would have been made to apologies for describing the man as very short.

19. idn1 day

April 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm

This is a typical example of a good plan gone sour for Banky #cheapflight. Where was KLM, DELTA, BA etc when he bought Arik ticket.

• omada

April 8, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Did you read the entire article?

• inspire

April 8, 2014 at 7:41 pm

this letter was just for PR purposes, what is the point in mentioning his reasons for taking the flight, I agree with you!!

20. Loverly

April 8, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Naija ppl. sef. steadily missing the point and finding fault with errrthang! Banky actually started off by saying he had been contacted for his opinion so those ppl asking if he was the only one..English comprehension 101. Secondly, he has a platform as an entertainer and his commentary and feedback to Arik publicly will hopefully motivate them to up their game since the numerous complaints of everyday customers aren’t responded to (I should know cos I’ve had my own Arik encounter domestically). Thirdly, if you watched the video it was obvious he was in business or first or whatever so no big deal about him referencing his section which was close to the flight deck and the doors so relevant to the discussion…but then again you probably wont read or understand what I just wrote. Sigh! going back to ‘praying’ for Nigeria and Nigerians.

21. bimpe

April 8, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Were his thoughts needed or asked for? :s he must be jobless. Why didn’t he write b4 Linda posting the incident. Move banky! Thank u

22. Cool cat

April 8, 2014 at 7:26 pm

My goodness, the short man was shirtless. Lolllllll. The thought of that alone is funny enough. That being said, aril flies direct to New York so it is convenient for a lot of travelers. I’ve experienced the same thing on a flight to heathrow, I guess it really is their company policy and that is so stupid. The one that pains me about arik is their hand luggage. That one pained me well well. They will wait till you’re about to enter the plane, then weight every single thing you have on you to 10kg kpam. For those of us shangri that like to carry nylon bag, plus back pack, plus hand bag with vanity case, mennnn. They got me o, I had to throw away a lot of stuff or risk paying £50. Very painful

23. Suki

April 8, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Never flown Arik…will never..Lord knows I woulda been suing their frugal ass for emotional distress, pain and suffering, trauma, stress, heat rash! Looooool

24. ForeverYoung

April 8, 2014 at 8:40 pm

@concerned_boyfriend….
    Lol seriously I like it when people throw “shade”and want to make others believe otherwise.True it’s obvious the man is short, no doubt about that , but then it’s obvious that Banky’s head is big. In fact as I picked up from the comment section of another blog, his head was termed to as “head of horror” . So let’s flip this, the “very short and angry” man writes an article and goes “there was this angry man with a head of horror shouting….” or better still “big head” , which is obviously true, would this Mr find it funny? . Descriptions like these as we all know are a breeding ground for contempt and mudslinging. Which technically is not against the law, but who has more to lose ? The person in the public eye or the one who isn’t ? I wonder why he didn’t say that to his face, maybe y’all would be picking up teeth from seat 1A. ….. Buhahahahaha . I’m sure you get my point, as an entertainer he ought to protect his image/interest , down talking someone you don’t know that might have actually contributed to his success indirectly is not doing much for him. For all he knows the man could have been a fan, his fans are his customers, hey we are all here beating Arik over it’s head for bad customer service, Mr banky is not doing a better job than they are, if by chance the man could have been his customer.

Oh by the way “the very short and angry” man has replied on another blog, his response below (BN please route this to Mr BankyW and let the game begin) ..

—statement start—
    I am that “very short irate man” as you described me. Mr “gold fish head that has no hiding place”. I might have lost my cool but that gives you no right to insult me. If anyone watched that video they would have seen you trying to use an object to hide your face but your head wasn’t cooperating.
    —statement end—-

Does this look any good? My point exactly……

25. shenugs

April 8, 2014 at 8:51 pm

There was absolutely no need for this article tbh. This happened about 9 days ago. Why did he not write on it then? Now that the video has gone viral he decides to speak on it. In my opinion he’s only trying to justify something or make up for being on a cheap flight. That is the only way i can explain his need to state that he was in seat 1A. I’m sure if nobody recognised him or if there was no video, this article would not even exist. I have just lost a lil bit of respect for him. This article is so totally uncalled for. Very superficial and somewhat derogatory.

26. LIKE SERIOUSLY

April 8, 2014 at 10:06 pm

its rubbish like this that makes Le boo and I use British Airways and connect NYC with Delta…God knows how that this kind of things are not funny. What if someone had died out of suffocation.mtcheww.

27. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

April 8, 2014 at 10:08 pm

THANK GOD THEY PROTESTED AND GOT OFF THE AIRCRAFT BC IT’S OBVIOUS THEY WERE TRYING TO DO CUT N JOIN B4 TAKE OFF WHICH IS SUCH A WRONG MOVE. THEY WERE TRYING TO DO PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH. SO WRONG.

28. freeman chekwas

April 8, 2014 at 10:37 pm

how about if the AC went off in the air,any plane dat is nt gud shld b abandon

29. RightSaidFrred

April 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Mr. DoubliU ought to have complained right there to the pilot that he was making his heart go ‘jinkelele’…and not in a good way either. 🙂

Mr. DoubliU writes well too.

30. Olori Tari

April 9, 2014 at 8:04 am

I just know that Arik sponsored the party Banky had in NY. I saw it on the flyer advertising the event. Hence, I wouldn’t be bothering to read such, especially as I just skimmed through and no sentence my eye mistakenly touched did it for me.

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong, so I can go back to read it.

31. Athena S.A.

April 9, 2014 at 8:49 am

Banky, dont care what you wrote hun but you look hot !!!

32. Amarachi

April 9, 2014 at 9:52 am

What’s not to love about Banky W? Haters….

33. kareen Jacobs

April 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

its not just about the heat and the discomfort which is bad enough, did anyone actually think about the physical health issues, like contracting illnesses such as TUBERCULOSIS, if anyone was infected with the ailment and was aboard that flight ? It would have been distributed like wild fire, Considering the fact that people were yelling and saliva squirts every where, while people tried to breath , dehydrated including children with weak immune system, making it a lot more easier contracting it . ARIK AIR MGT is completely irresponsible, and should review their policy ASAP knowing these health implications. KNOW UR RIGHT AS AN INDIVIDUAL AND STAND UP FOR IT, COS U ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!!!!!!

34. Lady T

April 9, 2014 at 10:43 am

Arik that was too bad, Banky my brother i pray they read this and make their amends cos life is the most valuable and must be given top most attention, afterall it has no duplicate

35. Kokoro Dudu

April 9, 2014 at 11:32 am

@Amarachi I know you!

But then who in his right sense flies Arik. Sincerely, I will rather take Keke Marwa to the Big Apple than fly in a coffin on Arik. Ko ni da fun won!

36. pops

April 9, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Me I already bought two return tickets for arik air this weekend and next weekend. I can’t shout o but God dey sha. Thankfully na local flight.

37. moij

April 9, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Joey A you r a bully, if u were well brought up u wld knw hw to express urself without insultin any1.we all hve d freedom,to say wats on our minds and hve exercised that freedom here.

38. Segun

April 9, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Well, I wonder why Nigerians are never serious with issues until it gets out of hands. Thank God a reputable and respected artist was on that flight to narrate the true picture of events without exaggerating the incidence
    His mentioning of his seat no or not to me is just a way of telling all those who cares to reason and think that he did not gate crash into the flight but a passenger on board.
    On a more serious note, this is a matter of concern to the appropriate authorities to look into. I am pretty certain that none of our leaders have ever used Arik to fly outside Nigeria, because if they have I am sure Arik’s license would have been suspended, I have never experienced this kind of nightmare with other International Airlines, even before the doors to the plane are closed, some passengers would have started requesting for blankets from Hostesses or kitting themselves seriously with jacket to prevent cold, most time nearly 80% of the passengers would have even close the air vent before reaching cruising altitude.
    Thanks God this incidence is coming from an artist not just any Nigerian and the video footage actually showed he was on board. I have once experienced this episode on Associated airline before it was grounded, infact I almost passed out, coupled with the fact that there were a lot of incoming air traffic they needed to decongest before we were cleared for take off.
    IS THIS THE LAID DOWN POLICY WITHIN THE NIGERIA AVIATION SECTOR?
    Nigerians let us stop using serious life threatening experiences to crack jokes or see it as a show off but rather call the attention of the authorities or the management of the company to this faults so as to prevent a major disaster.
    A passenger on one of the world’s leading Airline called the attention of the management to their on board cutleries, and worldwide at the same time this airline replaced all the cutleries on all their aircraft fleet worldwide. This is what is called business and service.
    Anything that has to do with FLYING/AVIATION SHOULD BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY REMEMBER FLIGHT NO MH 370, AND DANA 2013. GOD WILL CONTINUE TO PROTECT US ALL AMEN

39. isaac

June 24, 2014 at 9:55 am

my name isaac am from delta state am a tallented musician i can sing song verry but i dont have any body to help me even my family dont have money to sponsor me i no you are looking for a tallented boy for you to sponsor i am good i can searve you verry well i will not fail you pls my number is 08186484116 pls i need your help as you read so shall god bless you i i loved eme from thd verry first time and i cant afford to mise any opportunity from eme.thank for reading