News

Nigerian Child Bride Kills Husband with Rat Poison

BellaNaija.com

Nigerian child bride Bella Naija

This may sound like something from a Nollywood movie, but it is indeed true. A Nigerian child bride killed her husband because she did not love him and was forced to marry him.

The bride, 14-year-old Wasila Umaru, was married a couple of days ago to 35-year-old Umaru Sani, Daily Mail reports.

After the wedding, Sani invited friends to celebrate in Ungwar Yansoro village, which is close to the city of Kano. During the festivities, Wasila slipped rat poison into the rice that was being served.

Her husband, along with his friends, died that same day.

Wasila is reportedly cooperating with the police, and may be charged with culpable homicide.

According to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), fifty percent of Nigerian girls who live in rural areas get married before age 18.

Child brides suffer difficult pregnancies and can often die in childbirth, the leading cause of death worldwide for girls aged 15 to 19. They also have a higher probability of contracting AIDS and being victims of domestic violence.

Photo Credit: Change.org/verastic.com

1. Dame

April 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Good on you girl…..from the day you were sent to marry a 35year old, your dignity was killed and Burried. Although murder was never the solution, but that’s all you knew at the time. You thought like a child and acted like one. Having been a victim of sexual abuse at a tender age of 6, I summoned the courage to tell my dad who beat me to the point of death. I was sure I had died that day. I wish I had the teeth to do what you did, that would have helped me heal. But my dad failed me . Lesson to others. May you grow to be an inspiration to others. Amen. Good n you young girl

• Di

April 13, 2014 at 3:24 am

Oh my God!!! Why would he hit you, you didn’t rape yourself, nor asked to be nor could you defend yourself?! I just said a short prayer for you, let go and heal from those scars. *hugs*

• thisbougiechick

April 13, 2014 at 10:02 am

Dame, your comment has brought tears to my eyes. I’m sending love and light to you in my thoughts and prayers. This child bride taking is in my view paedophilia and child abuse plain and simple. This young girl who killed her ‘husband’ and his friends needs counselling and care for all SHE has been through not punishment! 14!!!!! Can we all just remember what we were like at 14 then think about somebody aged 35 (and even older)…what nonsense! What disgusting nonsense.
      This has to stop!

blameitonthebougie.wordpress.com

• Ayo

April 13, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Dame I hope you have finally found closure? It hurts when those(adults) who should be there to defend are not available.

• Dee

April 14, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Reading your message made me cry. I pray for you. And I understand. Let the light of God touch where u hurt. Lots of luv from dee

• rainbow me

March 1, 2015 at 11:11 am

Oh baby!!!!!…..am so very sory,like aw z d r/ship btw u nd ur dady naw,am so sory,honey,u mst have gonee thru a lot….sory dear,so painful*kisses,love

2. vheralyne

April 12, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Chai!!! Who wld blame the poor child although she took extreme measures…we really need to step up our game in creating awareness and taking it to the rural areas expecially the northhern region.let’s educate the young female children on the options they have when faced with issues similar to this…NGO’s and all concerned,let’s infiltrate the northern rural regions and save the future of this young future leaders

3. LOLS

April 12, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Tragic! Hopefully this would be a deterrent to future intending paedophiles known as suitors. By the way what do you mean ‘charged’ isn’t she a minor???

4. Mademoiselle

April 12, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Weh ehh! I feel so bad for this child. Murder is awful and all, but I just feel for her man! *sigh*

• Keziah

April 12, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I share the same sentiments.

5. Joy

April 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Wat r u ppl saying? I applauded She’s bold I luv her with his fat smtin he would forcefully put inside a. Tiny girl,The girl deserves a hug She’s going so scot free becos she’s underage!Oniranus,PedophiLes oshi

6. whocares

April 12, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I am sorry for the circumstances that has led this poor girl to murder someone. I do not feel an iota of sympathy for her husband, and a part of me is glad that she stood up for herself, but I am sorry about it nonetheless. A person should not be pushed to murder, and a young girl at that. I can only imagine the fear, and desperation that led her to slip the rat poison in his food.
    PS: BN have you sorted out the issue you had? I suspect it was a bug of some sort.. Fear dey ‘cash’ me to comment o..

BellaNaija.com

April 12, 2014 at 9:29 pm

We apologise, it is an error from our new mobile site. We are working to fully rectify.

7. patience

April 12, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Go gal…i feel Ntin 4 d late husband

8. Teni

April 12, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I had always known that something like this will come up since its been happening, it will teach these irresponsible agbayas to look further than taking a child as wife. I can imagine the child’s fear and i know fear can be dreadful! May God forgive her sins and grant her a future despite all these stress.

9. Person

April 12, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Good on her. I hope there is some sort of way for human rights agencies to get involved to help her with her case.

10. nanti

April 12, 2014 at 9:58 pm

kill all of them….only rat poison?….give am cockroach, bed bug poison……idiots

11. dave

April 12, 2014 at 10:06 pm

poor girl took her revenge

12. Blessmyheart

April 12, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Oh no. This is really sad.Hopefully this will create more awareness about the child not bride campaign. I feel really sorry for the girl.

13. Tempi Rope Adebayo

April 12, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I feel very sorry for this girl! I pray that she finds a good lawyer to defend her. Also her parents should be charged.. Because I don’t understand why would you give your daughter into mariage at 14? When she is supposed to be in school and grow normally.. Some parents are real MOUNKOUS !! I pray for you my child.. This girl must be in a vulnerable state of mind right now.. She needs child and clinical psychologist. May God be with you!

14. blaq

April 12, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Though I do not support murder as a solution bt I don’t blame the girl either. Since the govt has refused to enforce and stop this nonsense,This young lady has decided to take d bull by d horn. Heartless man, wen u get to ur final destination,you Wil explain hw u got there.

15. Libgirl

April 12, 2014 at 10:56 pm

– tradition!!! These parents need to be thought that their little girls are valuable and they need to get their education, not be some money bag for the parents. The way to stem this madness, is by educating the parents who sell their children into these horrible situations.

16. SpeakNoEvil

April 12, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I will not call the girl’s actions murder because it is not. This is a clear case of self defense. Using lethal force/killing someone is justified when there is a perceived threat to life. In this case, this young girl’s parents and her pedophile husband threatened her life by willingly contracting a marriage agreement that she vocally objected to, so I will say that she was only saving her own life. What 35 year old man thinks it is okay to marry a 14 year old child and what sort of parents can willing give away their under aged daughter in marriage? Now that the pedophile husband has received his just rewards (and is hopefully burning in hell), the only thing left is to arrest the girl’s parents and charge them with child endangerment, child trafficking, and any other thing that will stick. We cannot continue to tolerate this kind of nonsense in a society that claims to be civilized.

• Dlapikin

April 13, 2014 at 2:24 am

Absolutely! Legitime defense! Parents need to be jailed as well…

17. Anon

April 12, 2014 at 11:24 pm

SpeakNoEvil; thanks for that. Thumbs up to the girl.

18. aminchi

April 12, 2014 at 11:48 pm

am glad she killed him, mr buran tashi. he want to buran tashi the small baby..

19. Maiden

April 13, 2014 at 1:06 am

Been a long time coming!

20. ao

April 13, 2014 at 2:59 am

She was clearly defending herself against a pedophile. The police need to release this innocent child and the Nigerian government needs to ensure her safety and well being.

21. Ugo

April 13, 2014 at 5:24 am

God bless this girl,I hope to hear of more cases like this,and may be it would curb this child marriage nonsense. The yeye man time don come shikena.

22. Me Full Ground

April 13, 2014 at 5:27 am

The young girl acted in “self-defence” against “rape” (sexual abuse of a minor). It was her life at stake. Acted in the best way she could for her age. The paedophile he-goat and his friends deserve their death. Besides, she is a minor and cannot be convicted of murder. Let this serve as a lesson to the foolish paedophiles like that former Zamfara cow.

23. Accurate ude

April 13, 2014 at 7:04 am

This earth has turn upside down oh ,I need to pack and relocate to mars .

24. Aduke

April 13, 2014 at 11:08 am

Good girl….. They should release the girl with immediate effect.. God understands and will forgive her for her sins.

25. scallywag

April 13, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Isn’t the real crime the indoctrination of raping children?

scallywagandvagabond.com/2014/04/wasila-umaru-child-bride-forced-marriage-poisons-husband-rat-poison/

26. Di

April 13, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Nigerian government will incriminate homosexuality both not pedophilia?

27. chocho

April 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Poor girl…she is underage. I don’t think her picture is supposed to be shown everywhere sef for security purposes. murder is wrong but I don’t feel sorry for them. Maybe this will serve as a deterrent to other old men that want children as wives.

28. deb

April 13, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I don’t know if someone in the senate will deem it fit to make a definite law that child marriage is a crime. The Nigerian law says that any other law inconsistent with it it null and void and sharia law is no exception(oya Muslims [email protected]) if sharia law allows child marriage and Nigerian law says the legal age for a woman to marry is 18 then marrying a child below 18 should be null and void. Pot bellied David mark did not try when yerima was trying to quote islamic law for the house when trying to pass that bill. Nigeria is not a country guided by religion we have the law in the books. Sharia law and customary law should be put on same level so that the Nigerian law can prevail above the two#nufsaid##futhersayin# I will support child marriage if yerima + other rulers/adults indulging in child marriage gives all his minor female children out in marriage and get [email protected] time. Shior.

29. Orikinla Osinachi

April 13, 2014 at 6:44 pm

The revolution has started.
    forcing an older man on an underage girl in marriage is permitting the man to rape her and destroy her life.

30. love

April 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm

if they put this girl in jail then Nigeria has failed as a nation because it should be her parents and the people that allowed this that should be for the rest of their life . senate pls pass a bill on child marriages to end b.cos marring a child is the same thing a marrying with ur own child.

31. Sanni Yerima

April 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm

The girl is a mass murderer, for goodness sake. Forced marriage or not, she’s probably not a virgin. Though that’s beside the point, no one should applaud or feel no iota of sympathy for the victims because tradition and custom are the real culprit here.

• lu-lu

April 13, 2014 at 10:55 pm

your first point is making me sad… what does her virginity have to do with all of these? does that mean she can be traded like a she-goat in the market? think before you write I beg

• J

April 14, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Sarcasm right?

• Navie

April 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Silence is golden, my friend. If you have nothing in that swiss cheese brain you have in your head then keep your pie hole shut! Would she kill anyone if she had been allowed to live her life as the teenager that she is? Psychologist Alan Entin, a family psychologist has stated the brains of teenagers are still under construct which makes them prone to act impulsively before thinking through their actions and they are unaware of the consequences of their behavior. I remember when I was a teenager, when things happened that I thought was unfair, the effect was heighten due to hormones and immaturity. I would think I was just going to die if the situation I was in didn’t change, yes I didn’t think of killing anyone but then again I was not being forced to live with a man old enough to be my father, cook for and sleep with him daily. I wasn’t being forced to leave my family and all I know to live with someone I don’t love. This girl was fighting for her LIFE.

• Eerinmide

April 16, 2014 at 4:00 am

I usually do not reply people’s comment but yours PISSED me off! then I looked up and saw your name and I was not so pissed anymore. But now I have a question, do you honestly feel there is nothing WRONG with being married at age FOURTEEN?????? at age 14, I was dreaming of Prince Charming and making up the cutest stories of when I get married. If anyone… I MEAN ANYONE had made me marry at 14 to a 35 year old man, rat poison would have been the mildest thing I would have thought of. I need you to know Sanni, that women are not commodities to be sold or exchanged. We are people, we have feelings, we have dreams, we have hopes and aspirations and believe it or not, WE HAVE A VOICE! And how will customs and traditions change if we have people like you. A brave girl finally acts against traditions, instead of you to defend at her, you throw stones at her. That is a not the duty of a man, that is not the duty of a brother. And so in your comment, you failed to be your brother’s keeper. And for once, look beyond traditions and consider human emotions. Please.

• Mbaks

April 16, 2014 at 7:44 pm

YERIMA!!! Your name alone says it all!!

• rainbow me

March 1, 2015 at 11:16 am

God wil punish u everyday of ur life!!!!!!!!……Satan will punish u as well!!!!!!!!!!

32. Stephanie

April 14, 2014 at 8:03 am

But i don’t understand…what kindof pleasure can they derive from someone so young!…somepeople though, mschew!
    blogsvila.blogspot.com

33. deb

April 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm

@sanni yerima, u saying the gal is not a Virgin, I find it appalling, fyi for a teenager not to be a virgin&@her age, she did not force herself on a man to be disvirgined. How about that? She is not a mass murderer, she tried all her best to avert her worst fears.

34. Yinka Ogunbajo

April 14, 2014 at 7:12 pm

This will continue to happen as long as the Govt does not see it fit to intervene on behalf of these innocent children. What a country!

35. Nora

April 16, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Um, for you people talking about how she’s not going to be charged because she’s a minor so she’s going to get off “scot-free”? You DO realize this didn’t take place in the United States, right? You DO realize other countries have their own laws?

36. dj

April 22, 2014 at 12:16 am

Please stop this as our future depends on our youth. What must these countries be think ing. Stop the abuse n ow