News

Isio Knows Better: An Ode To My Creator

Isio Knows Better - May 2014  BellanaijaI sincerely lay no claims to being more knowledgeable than anyone, but I do confess that I know better than I did yesterday, last year and a decade ago. Isio Knows Better is an attempt to capture the shocking and highly entertaining conversation within myself. The conversations between my mind (the sharp witty one), my soul (the lover and the spiritual one) and my body (the playful one concerned with the more mundane things of life). She is the eternal referee between the caustic mind and the sensitive soul. This is Isio. So, here’s to making private conversations public.

Enjoy!

***

At that moment, I was lying in bed. It was past midnight and I was listening to Toni Braxton’s and Babyface’s “Roller Coaster”. I mulled over my twenties; the roller coaster of emotions I went through. The lessons of life and love I learnt through sweat, blood and tears. As the song kept playing on repeat, my mind created a visual experience to complement the soulful music. I tried to imagine which of my exes I would least like to smack across the nose with a frying pan share this beautiful moment with and say these words to.

At that moment Toni’s voice transcended sound. Toni and Babyface together were simply magic. My appreciation for it allowed the layers of sound, its texture and the lyrics to the song engulf my consciousness completely. Through my ears to my soul, it caressed every part of me.  And it felt something like honey and caramel trickling down my bare skin and something like salty wind through my hair.

Again I mull over my twenties. I loved hard, and I was loved even harder in return.

Roller Coaster.

Just like the song.  And in good times and bad I would have my conversations with God. I am like a last born with her daddy; a teeny tiny part of a magnificent whole, a little part of Him experiencing life. He is my no 1 padi. We have a thing. It is beautiful.

Naturally, I feel my soul flood with love as it does every time I think about my relationship with my Creator. I am filled with a feeling of…

Absolute completeness. Solidness. Peace. Assuredness.

Only through my roller coaster twenties am I aware that the love I have felt for the ones I had loved, was His precious gift to me,  to make my life on earth here more beautiful; because to share love thoroughly,  selflessly and unconditionally with someone is the closest we can ever get to experiencing heaven on earth.

And for the times I had lost in love, I went to Him with the pieces of my broken heart and laid the pieces at His feet, baring my scars, aching to know why I had to suffer so. And He would tell me that this was also His gift and His lesson to me, to teach me to take responsibility for my happiness and not have it dependent on others and material things. That some things were not meant to be permanent.  And that that was okay too. That the beauty of living was in the experience of life, and not in the possession of things or people.

He said to me:

So be grateful little Sun. Be grateful for the salty tears that stain your cheeks. How can you appreciate light if you’ve never experienced darkness? Cry and pout, but understand that this is the perfection in My design, and that your scars are a testimony to this.  So come here, and give your Father a hug and a kiss. There will be no smacking across noses with frying pans, little one.

Then I said to Him:

Hold me; bathe me with your passion. Tell me at dawn, that I am your princess, and at night, show me that you are my King. Tell me the sacred chord David played for you, that I might play music so sweet, the angels would weep with pleasure. You are the lover of my soul, and I am your beloved… thou I am known by many names, the one that You call me, is by far the one that I treasure most.

I lay in bed thinking about You from whom I was formed, and my soul becomes restless with praise- it tells me to speak the language of love to the most beloved God who breathed life into me. So, I say this: A thousand suns can never warm my heart if you cast me from your presence. A thousand diamonds cannot compare to a kiss of your grace. Majesty, I love you – more than any man.

And You love me- of this I have no doubt. You gave me sadness that I may appreciate joy. You gave me loss that I might appreciate life. You broke my heart that You might plant a new one in here. You gave me understanding that I might never trivialize pain. And when I sleep… Lord, when I sleep, I feel your breath. It heals me, fixes me. For every scar, you give me a hundred stars. You are divine, beautiful, just and magnificent. Am I not lucky to call You Father? The God of all gods, the one at whose sacred Word the oceans and seas of the earth remain still, not swallowing this little land of ours in one gulp. They obey You. They all obey You.

I am grateful for Your love.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Isio Wanogho is a top-model, TV Personality and entrepreneur. She is conversant in five languages and has 12 years of experience in the Nigerian entertainment industry. Isio, popularly known by her brand name Isio De-laVega, captivates audiences with her signature wide smile and relatable, quirky personality which endears her to many. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @isiodelavega

1. Jo!

May 13, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Ah Isio *sigh* Thank You

2. Ms. Ominiknowest

May 13, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Wow!!! An honest reminder of all that God is, and all he should be…. Papa I hail o!

3. Que

May 13, 2014 at 12:38 pm

…..and for the second time on BN a piece of writing has left me in tears, maybe cos it aptly captured my mood these days….. just when I think I’ve seen d most beautiful line, another hits me….. Isio…I got no words, #justhugs…xoxo!

*singing* ‘….Who am I that you’re mindful of me…??’……

• kay laoyeh

May 13, 2014 at 5:26 pm

so so touched….i read this piece in d office and am so moved…when men Leaves….God lives.everytime i think ders no more song left to sing, in God i found a melody.

4. koch

May 13, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Wowww! I love this!

5. Busola

May 13, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I love that roller coaster song… Probably, my best off the album. After being through so much emotion roller coasters, I got to the point where I almost blamed God. They say there is a reason for everyone that crosses your path. For a long time, I questioned why God was sending me douches instead. When my answer came, I understood that everything happens for a reason.. You never lose, you Only learn. If you ever become skeptical of loving again, just remember that even if they hurt you… God will heal you. Eventually, it all works out for your good.

• Busola

May 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm

*emotional roller coasters*

• tola

May 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm

nice comment dear..God bless ur heart

6. koch

May 13, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Wowww I love this wonderful piece!

7. Impeccable

May 13, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Your best one yet! Quite moving. *wipes eyes*

8. oludara

May 13, 2014 at 12:54 pm

The excellent lady,Social prefect contestant,Thursday lunch,Best dancer,Morafa, Selfless Senior,Humble,Never seeking praise…Mayflower..Isio thanks for this..It looks like she is the ‘Davidess’ of our time…finding unique words to God our father..Such an excellent creature you are…Much more wisdom

9. efe

May 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm

this is so Beautiful. There are not words enough to describe ,appreciate this AWESOME GOD

10. Yes o

May 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Certainly Isio knows better. You always make my Tuesday.

11. jcsgrl

May 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Aww the Songs of Isio…yeah that came from a place of depth. You are your beloved’s and your beloved is yours.
    I know what you mean hun…I too most times are grateful for that love. Sometimes when I’m going through stuff, I’m like can you love me less with all these trials and tribulations? But his love is perfect and there is no fear in love

12. Loulou

May 13, 2014 at 1:28 pm

He is indeed an awesome God, the God we cannot ever praise enough… Thanks Isio,nice write up!

13. Iyke

May 13, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Keep the love flowing Ms. De-laVega,…..In fact, lets show gratefulness by going out in our own ways and do something good for some deserving folks this week!I don’t know about you, but I am living a life that fulfills the promise of my creation. I have chosen to be free … boundless and infinite in my quest …. so as to live and love brilliantly, completely as one who walks into the next life without regret!
    He is the LIGHT and HE leads me.

14. naana

May 13, 2014 at 2:01 pm

and God is LOVE.
    i glow when i remember that i am a child of God and bought by the BLOOD.

15. Igbeyinadun

May 13, 2014 at 2:05 pm

lol @smack across the nose with a frying pan

16. brownie

May 13, 2014 at 2:29 pm

One word: BEAUTIFUL! Love your writeups Isio…keep em coming! 🙂

17. Mz Socially Awkward...

May 13, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Isio, that realization of who the lover of my soul truly is didn’t come in my own roller-coaster twenties, it came in my self-actualizing 30s. Somewhat cliche, abi? Women entering their 3rd decade and drawing closer to God has been the brunt of many jokes but I think that’s the landmark decision point for leaving the confused path of who you’ve been told to be and branching out on your own to know the real you.

My appreciation for God’s love can, sha, just show up in random ways. Like when I’ve got a sudden craving for catfish peppersoup and then go to buy the ingredients, I’m like “Ah, God, who am I that you even allow me enjoy this blessing of desiring to eat something and then you also give me with the resources and ability to fulfil my desire?”. Just random little things, not even the major ones, that show me I’m taken care of by a loving Father.

And in that belief, I really don’t agree with your indication of Him giving sadness, a broken heart or loss. We get tested by those events but His love is about ultimately filling our live
    s with Goodness in everything. That’s my opinion, anyway.

Meanwuss, you were spotted in those photos of the Maybelline event. Thou art indeed a looker 🙂

18. TA

May 13, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Nice piece Isio! SEnding

19. TA

May 13, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Nice piece Isio! Sending this to a friend who sorely needs this right now…

20. ENIOLA

May 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

You’ve got blessed hands Isio. I really do very much appreciate your style.

21. FEEEEZ

May 13, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Nice write up dear…please we should all endeavor in our best ways to abstain from sin please because that what our creator despise
    (SIN)…. so that his unconditional love,mercy,grace ,favor and compassion will be upon us.tanks folks.

22. Smyl4me

May 13, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Your writeup reminds me of my teenage years. Though i am a guy, i usually cry during the nights or in dark secluded places i could find.

I remembered with teary eyes asking God. is it true He loves me and He should take all the pains i am passing through. I was like the black sheep of the family maybe cos i was like a late bloomer.

I couldnt figure out why everyone in my family pick on me. I know the feeling of rejection, hatred. and loss of self respect. Now when i remembered those days now, I am grateful He was really there and has shaped me into a loving,compassionate, forgiving and tolerant person i am now.

23. RUBY

May 13, 2014 at 5:34 pm

@Isio, God blesssss you too much, your words made me teary and reminds me of my first love who have failed to take things to at my worst moment.This piece is the best!

24. Miss Independent

May 13, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Thank you Isio. Father’s love really is unconditional. I remember telling Him what I want and I would be so sad if I don’t get it but now when I look back I laugh at myself and feel like I could slap myself for the little things that made me cry.

25. ejjysam

May 13, 2014 at 6:35 pm

This is absolutely beautiful!! Thank you Isio for sharing!

26. Kiks

May 13, 2014 at 9:32 pm

So this is really what i needed this evening. i just wrote my final math paper and for the first time i know i am going to fail this paper and the sadness that is clouding over me appears more sinister than i have ever imagined.
    yet again, how can i appreciate God’s favour if everything was rosy and began to feel complacent. Although i know this was my worst performance, i still give thanks to God for his mercies on me.
    Isio, i am less gloomy as a result of the awareness this article of yours has created in me and the song that quickly comes to my mind is “Praise him in advance” by Marvin Sapp.
    Beautiful piece!!!

27. sylvia

May 13, 2014 at 9:51 pm

now this is just written for me.isio u indeed God sent!

28. Sooooo blessed

May 14, 2014 at 9:50 am

Thanks, Isio. Your piece just made me reflect on my life and God’s goodness. God bless you!

29. adelegirl

May 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

I teared up as I read this piece Isio, thanks for sharing this heartfelt intimate and beautifully poetic love of/for God with us. It brought to remembrance just how good God as been to me in spite of my many failings, frailties, fallings… Being by my side in the darkest of nights, assuring me that it will pass and joy will come in the morning and it always does. Honestly, I have often wondered who am I that God would be so mindful of me and mine, hear me when I call and just be there for me. As I read this piece, it brought to remembrance my annus horribilis in the twilight of my 20s and how I thought I wanted to die or just disappear but leaned on God and just in the nick of time, He saved me, brought me out of a terrible dark pit of despair. He took away my shame and reproach. He saved me when I really didn’t deserve to be saved, He loved me when I was unlovable and still continues to love me… Ah… His love just encompasses me… I am thankful, oh so thankful to Him my Creator, the one who colours my life so beautifully…

God bless you for this piece Isio, really…

And I love love love that new Toni Braxton & Babyface album- Love, Marriage & Divorce. You described the effect of the meshing of the voices of Toni and Babyface so perfectly. Some of my faves from the album are ” Where did we go wrong” ” I Wish” ” Hurt You” ” Reunited” ” The D Word” ” Sweat” and ” Rollercoaster”

30. Queen E

May 14, 2014 at 10:46 am

Isio, a beautiful piece of work you have there! GOD bless you!

31. Martha A

May 14, 2014 at 11:29 am

this is Lovely….thank you Isio, I love your write ups, And this has gone an extra mile I Love love love one. What an Amazing Love our father has 4 us, I usually feel at times I don’t deserve it but he chose 2 love this makes me wonder…ooh how I pray I would love like dat…..My father loves me despite e sin. #Absolutely grateful my Daddy, father, my true love, my best friend…..4 all.

32. Light Angel

May 14, 2014 at 11:56 am

I must admit that I felt a bit of jealousy, that someone else feels the same way I feel towards my father too… #SiGH… then the christian in me kicks in:-) Beautiful piece Isio, soo flawlessly written, stay blessed hun

33. Ify

May 14, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Amazing write up. Thank you for this Isio. It brought me to tears. God’s love truly is sufficient and every experience, bad or good should be appreciated. It is easy to feel unloved or unwanted in our every day lives but having a constant reminder that God is with us and knows the end before it happens is very comforting. He will not put us through trials and tribulations we cannot overcome.

34. frances

May 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Straight from your heart to our(mine) Isio..God bless you. I felt this profoundly..indeed,theere are no words to describe our creator..i love Him, I love Him.
    Ran a worship post on my blog on monday and I was just short of words..ah!

imperfectlyperfect92.wordpress.com

35. Yours Truly

May 14, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Wow, I’m in tears already

yourstrulyblogposts.blogspot.com

36. Andiie

May 30, 2014 at 8:42 pm

This was so beautiful, I had to mail myself a link so whenever I feel a little down, I’d come read this.