News

Pregnant Sudanese Woman Facing Death Sentence for Marrying Christian May Give Birth in Prison

BellaNaija.com

Mariam-Yahya-Ibrahim-Bella-Naija

Last week, BN reported that a 27-year-old Sudanese woman who is over eight months pregnant with her second child, has been charged with apostasy (deserting religion) and adultery for marrying a Christian man.

The woman, Mariam Yahya Ibrahim is currently imprisoned with her 20-month-old son, and has been asked to abandon her Christian faith and return to Islam, or face a death sentence.

Her husband, Daniel Wani, is expressing grave concern about the welfare of his imprisoned wife, as she is due to give birth soon, Al Jazeera reports.  Because he is a Christian, he is not allowed to take care of their child, Martin. As a result, the child has remained with Ibrahim in prison.

“Martin [my son] and my wife, they are all in prison and she is pregnant – she could give birth at any time, from today to 1st of June, she may give birth. I am afraid that being in prison is dangerous for her so if they would allow me to take her to the hospital that she delivered Martin in – even if it was under the watch of security guards, I would be thankful,” he says.

Because their marriage was considered illegal, it was revoked by the Sudanese government. As a result, Wani plans to appeal the death sentence as an independent party to the case, since he is no loner considered to be Ibrahim’s husband.

The revoking of this marriage means that my son is no longer my son and the one coming is not my son too, will not be my son – so this innocence means nothing and I will appeal for myself and I will appeal for my wife,” Wani says.

Photo Credit: commons.wikimedia.org

1. @1bougiechick

May 18, 2014 at 1:32 pm

How sad. And to think both Christianity and Islam are supposed to have love at their very core…*sighs* I don’t know what this world is really coming to!

blameitonthebougie.wordpress.com

2. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

May 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm

This is madness!!!!! Obama o! David Cameron, United Nations, UNICEF….where are you guys?? Please do something.
    When In-laws Become Thorns- click my name to read more and share your thoughts.

3. @edDREAMZ

May 18, 2014 at 2:48 pm

It pains me that full fleshed men that people think are responsible are the one indulging in this shamefull act…. I hope something is done and done very fast b4 this poor woman die there, God will definately make away…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. Ojay

May 18, 2014 at 3:08 pm

This is SAD, I hope this Death Sentence doesn’t go through!!!!!!!!!

• @edDREAMZ

May 18, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Like seriously…..

5. Robertha

May 18, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Na wa o. Dis is so painful

6. mulikat

May 18, 2014 at 8:47 pm

useless law,this woman is half muslim and chritian, she chioce to be her mother religion which is christian and marry a christian man,is her life, anybody can be any religion, only in our islam u find this problem.last time a pastor daugther change to islam no death sentence by any christian peaople why only our islam,killing a woman even pregant,and her son with on born child is not for her husband,who is the father then. just free the poor woman and her son,and pls after freedom move to any europe country to live ur life they way u both want and let God do is job on last day.

7. SOLO ACT

May 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm

nawa oo islam is really trying to destroy the world! this is not the way muslim people i remember growing up oo! what is happening

8. aish

May 18, 2014 at 10:22 pm

God bless u mulikat..

9. tayo

May 18, 2014 at 10:55 pm

I feel so bad for this lady.UNICEF, UN,Cameron, Obama, where are they o? cant a country grant the family assylum?

10. ao

May 19, 2014 at 12:32 am

This is exactly why I am wary of Islam and oppose the very idea of Nigeria becoming an Islamic state. Islam is an insanely violent religion and quite intolerant. Please, to the powers that be, intervene and save this woman and her family. This is horrible!

11. www.blogsvila.blogspot.com

May 19, 2014 at 4:15 am

Na wa

12. lulu

May 19, 2014 at 5:21 am

Islam what? and then they say “those 1s are different from us, we are a peaceful religion” where is the peace then? they dont even smile, they always look upset…Cold Heartless, always planning evil…What a God they serve,Their God sure reflects in their actions. Does he drink blood though? probably the ranks in his kingdom are determined by the more blood you give … It just shows that the end is near, the Anti Christ we have been told about is here..ISLAM…May the God she serves save her life ,those of her kids and her husband…& even if she dies, she does so in Christ….Amen!!!

13. Deedee

May 19, 2014 at 11:21 am

@ao, Islam is not a violent religion, just because a few Muslims behave badly, shouldn’t give u the right to generalize,@lulu, we are not the Antichrist. This punishment is a normal one in Islamic law and she being a Muslim ought to know better esp as Sudan is a strong Islamic state although some criteria ought to be addressed before the death penalty is given. Don’t get me wrong, am all for freedom of religion but people need to educate themselves about other people’s beliefs before they start spewing rubbish.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 19, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I’m curious that you say the punishment is a normal one under Islamic law. Considering that it’s being inflicted on a grown woman who chose to leave the faith she used to practice, for a different faith. And also chose to marry someone who isn’t Muslim.

Is it normal practise then for Islamic leaders to have the power to execute followers who no longer wish to practice that faith? Why do think that’s not a violent response to a human being’s prerogative of choice?

• D

May 19, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Thank you ooo SA!!! gosh darn it!!!! Deedee starts by stating Islam is not a violent religion and then proceeds to claim it is “NORMAL” to KILL people .So please pray tell what is your definition of violence if murder/death isn’t??? Or have we (humans) lost our sense of humanity in the name of religion??? And you really think you have just convinced people that Islam is indeed not a violent religion.

• m

May 29, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Islam is definitely a violent and anti-CHRIST religion, and not by just a few , millions of Muslims in all countries are killing Christians and Jews , they want then wiped off the face of this earth. Read you Koran ,any non Muslim is considered dogs and not worthy to live. There is a day coming when every knee shall bow and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

14. a factualist

May 19, 2014 at 9:16 pm

@deedee or whatever you call yourself are you telling me that Islam then is a religion that is not practiced out of free will?sort of like a bondage? Because if you say it is “normal” in your religion to “kill” someone who has made an adult decision to follow another religion I DON’T SEE ANY DIFFERENCE WITH ANTICHRIST! That’s slavery mwandi. Judgemebt day is coming. Woe to you who call good evil, and evil good

15. pd

May 20, 2014 at 12:21 am

This is so unfair.May God have mercy on this family.I never knew Sudan was this backward!

16. shockt

May 21, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I think Deedee needs to educate herself on the definition of a “few”.