I know you have been seeing pictures like this all over social media – from the fitness industry to the beauty world, “infused water” is the new H2O.
What’s the deal with infused water? It’s a great way to skip sugary drinks, stay hydrated and cure common health complaints like bloating, stress, fine lines and wrinkles by simply flavouring your water with fruits, veggies and herbs. (Think of it as the modern day ‘Agbo jedi-jedi’).
You can combine a number of fruits, herbs and veggies like oranges, lemons, strawberries, cucumbers, apples, limes, peaches, blackberries, raspberries, mint leaves and a whole lot more. It doesn’t have as much nutrients as the regular store-bought vitamin waters, but it is a more natural alternative to a healthier way of drinking water. The store-bought vitamin waters contain a lot of added sugar which contain lots of calories. Over-consumption of such drinks is not healthy. And so, infused water is definitely a healthier and prettier alternative.
Makeup guru, Fatima Mamza of Mamza Beauty loves this technique and when she isn’t making yummy smoothies, she uses it for her water everyday.
There a few options you can try –
Citrus: Grapefruits, Lemons, Meyer Lemons, Key Limes, Limes, Blood Oranges, Oranges, Tangerines
Berries: Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Cherries
Tropical: Pear, Pomegranate, mango, Pineapple, Banana, Kiwi, Starfruit
Melons: Honeydew, Cantaloupe, Watermelon
Others: Apples, Grapes, Plums, Peaches, Nectarines
Vegetables: Cucumbers, carrots, Celery, Peppers (hot or sweet)
Herbs: Mint,Sage, Rosemary, Basil, Cilantro, Thyme, Lavender
Spices: Ginger, Cinnamon Stick, Black Pepper
How to make Infused Water
Infused water is very easy to make. All you have to do is:
1. Get the fruits or vegetables you would like, slice them into sizable pieces and place them in the glass or bottle of choice. Then take a wooden spoon and lightly mash them in the bottle. This is just so the juices and extracts are released.
Tip: Be sure to peel the back of the citrus fruits to avoid a bitter taste.
2. For herbs, take the herb of choice and slightly bruise the leaves by gently mashing – this helps release the natural extracts and oils from the herb.
3. Lastly, add some sparkling water or any clean water of your choice. You can also add more flavour with coconut water. Get creative with it.
A great aspect to infused water is after you have finished the liquid, you can just eat the fruit that’s left over.
Another great way to get in on the infused water trend is to ice your fruits.
This is a convenient alternative where you just have to cut the fruits into small pieces (small enough to fit in the ice cube tray pockets) then place them in with a little water and put in the freezer till solid. Then when you are ready to drink up, you just pop them in a glass like you would a regular ice cube, and as it melts, you get the fruity flavour.
When it comes to storage, it is pretty easy. It can be stored in an airtight bottle or jar, in a mason jar, glass pitcher, a water dispenser keg, bottle, gallon jug etc – whatever works for you. It can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or until the flavour is no longer present.
BN Beauty has a few menus you can try, but remember to always have fun with it and use ingredients that you enjoy, to make for a more pleasurable drink.
1. Lemon + Cucumber + Mint Leaves = aids bloating which is mainly caused by alchohol and carbonated drinks
2. Pineapple + Strawberries + Sage = Helps you relax especially with the sage which is a fab calming agent
3. Blueberries + Blackberries + Pomegranate = Helps with fine lines & wrinkles with their immense anti-oxidants & anti-ageing properties
We have a couple more:
1. Oranges + Lime + Strawberries + Mint
2. Watermelon + Strawberries + Rosemary
3. Kiwi + Strawberries + Mint Leaves
4. Lime + Coconut Water
5. Blackberries + Raspberries + Strawberries + Mint
We are already getting in on the fruity drink with our Orange + Lime mix.
So tell us – is this something you are willing to try; and if you already drink infused water, let us know what you think and what your favorite combinations are. Stay beautiful!