Music

I’m Not Fake! Muma Gee speaks on Half a Million Hairstyle, 500 Pairs of Shoes & Surgery

BellaNaija.com

Muma Gee - BN Music - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com
Singer and actress Muma Gee has kept a low profile after welcoming twins – a boy and a girl in April 2014.

Recently, she spoke on her reason for not choosing to give birth to her children abroad.

In an interview with Punch Newspaper for its “Fashionista” column, she opens up about being called “fake”, her expenses on hair, and shoes as well as her thoughts on cosmetic surgery.

Muma Gee also revealed that she is going back to school to study Marketing at the Rivers State Polytechnic, to refine her skills in the business world.

Read excerpts;
On how much she spends on her hair: “The hair piece alone costs a lot of money, especially in these days of human hair. I normally use 11 packs of human hair and each piece is not less than N60, 000. At the end of the day, I end up spending about N500, 000 to do my hair at once.”

On changing the hairstyle after a month: “Don’t get me wrong. It is actually the hair pieces that can go for that amount and those hair pieces can last for years. I have had hair extensions that have lasted for over 10 years. Each time I remove the weaves, I take it to hair companies and they treat the hair and they are as good as new.”

Her thoughts on low cut: “I have never worn low cut, even as a child. A woman’s hair is her grace and glory. Even though I am an artiste, I am a born-again Christian and my Bible tells me a woman’s hair is very precious. I have never cut my hair. Even now my hair is as long as 20 inches and it is very black. But I don’t carry my natural hair at all.”

On her shoe collection: “I have about 500 pairs and still counting. There are some I have not worn for over two years and they are still trendy, I love heels.”

On her bold fashion choices: “I used to be very daring but with my current status as a wife and mother, I am not that daring any longer. Gone are the days when I had to dress crazily because I am an artiste. Now, I am crazy but with a touch of class. Then, nobody cared about class, you just wanted to be crazy and be an artiste and dress like one. Now, I am a CEO and I have to dress responsibly. Even as I wear full hair, I still have to pack my hair. As a housewife, I wrap it up somehow. But when I am on stage, I can go wild. It depends on the kind of show anyway. If it is a corporate show, I have to look responsible and wear a classy dress. At a time in my career, I couldn’t care if the event was classy or corporate; I just came out as Muma Gee. Now, I have to depict the mood of the event.”

On her look at the Ovation Red Carol: “I think we were all given uniforms. Everybody was going to wear the same thing and I wanted to be different. With my level of understanding now, I could have been different in a different way. But I had bow legs and I wanted to flaunt my bow legs for the first time so I even wore black tights under the skirt and the fashion police snapped me. Some said I exposed my private parts but that is not true. I wore black tights and that was what was in the picture,”

What she thinks about cosmetic surgery: “If it is corrective surgery, I don’t think it is bad. But I don’t believe in unnatural things. I don’t like fake things. I don’t believe in fake boobs and butts. The little you have, God has complemented you with what you have, so you should be contented with those ones.”

On often being referred to as “fake”: “It is quite unfortunate. I don’t know why people see me as a fake person but I don’t believe in such. People think I faked my age and lied that I was younger than my real age. Everybody in the industry claims they are ‘20’ and because people have been hearing about me for a long time, they think I should be 70. I am unfortunate in things like that. During the celebrity Gulder Ultimate Search, some of the contestants said I was fake because I came to the forest with my make-up kit.”

On why she sleeps with make-up: “I say to people that I make-up and go to bed in case I die in my sleep, I want to still look beautiful. As a nursing mother, I could leave the house without make-up but not completely. I must have my powder. When you see my face look bare, I am wearing make-up. I cannot sleep and wake up and take my bath without wearing make-up. Even before I come out of the bathroom, I would have had my first make-up on.”

1. @edDREAMZ

June 14, 2014 at 4:34 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Well i still believe she is fake and she said is pure watch though….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

2. Wale

June 14, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Wow!

3. Marie Antoinette

June 14, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I never knew she was called fake but now I know why.

• Idak

June 14, 2014 at 8:35 pm

🙂

4. osy

June 14, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Perhaps its the constant use of make-up that has made you older.

5. missme

June 14, 2014 at 6:26 pm

You are not fake my dear. You are just not authentic either.

6. Ani

June 14, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Funny woman.

7. lola

June 14, 2014 at 7:17 pm

self image challenges, not good but her cup of tea

8. Selasisse

June 14, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Hahahaha,dis woman is not serious.The hypocrisy and contradictions are too musshh.U dont believe fake things yet u cannot go without ur make up and u spend up to 500,000 on hair extentions.Even if its real hair as long as it not what ur Genetics gave u den its not urs.All she said na washhhh.Abeg madam,go and take care of ur home and stop forming for ppl wey no care.

9. omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

June 14, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Wow! She goes to sleep with make up on? Lady, do you dislike your face that much? Haba!

10. Mabel

June 14, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Everybody has their own hobby I guess hers is shoes, hair, and makeup.

11. nene

June 14, 2014 at 9:05 pm

i agree with her on a woman’s hair. i had seeing women with low cut. one thing that makes black women seem unattractive in comparison to other races is hair (ugly hairstyles, low cut hairstyles, bad weaves, bad blending of hair and weaves, scanty weaves, very old braids,etc). in all, i don’t know if numa gee is fake but i know she is a big liar.

• nene

June 14, 2014 at 9:06 pm

i know she bleached her skin and she’s very artificial/high maintenance.

12. nke

June 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm

You don’t like fake things but you admit that you wear hair extensions. How fake can that be?

13. Gold

June 15, 2014 at 12:21 am

She is so fake

14. Bliss

June 15, 2014 at 2:11 am

If I had 20inches of long black natural hair, why on earth would I be spending 500k on fake hair? In fact I will sell my own hair sef. Hmmmm anyway, to each his own.

15. ICANTDEAL

June 15, 2014 at 3:33 am

Serious question, what exactly does she still sing or perform? And If you have to wear makeup everywhere even to bed, you have some deep rooted issues that you should be working on. How does her skin even breathe? I just can’t deal

16. chy

June 15, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I love u muma gee. Greet ur family 4 me. U know wat marriage means. God bless.

17. libby

June 15, 2014 at 5:22 pm

“I don’t like fake things” but you would wear hair extensions that supposedly cost 500,000 ? Lol Girl just have several seats!

18. sum1special

June 16, 2014 at 11:12 am

Its her life, and how she chooses to live it is entirely her business. I dont see anything fake in her lifestyle. That is how she likes to live. Since when did that become a crime. Everyone is on a personal race in this life and is accountable for the choices she makes. Whatever she does with her life doesn’t influence mine or yours, so why bother?

19. Amh

June 16, 2014 at 2:35 pm

500k for the amigoes or is it amingoe abi wetin de dey call am. Wetin you Have on your head. Your hair look very cheap. 11 packs ke when you r not. Humpty dumpty.your head must be lala. Compare yourself madam to otedolas girl, dj. Cuppy, who wears 500k.nhair between the two of you. Pele it is well. I presume she doesnot wear 500k hair. You r ob the same level with beyonce my dear muma gee.

20. le coco

August 5, 2014 at 7:33 pm

lool 500 k for hair..is alot considering i hvnt ever seen her hair look particularly nyc.. let us c th 20 inches hair.. mtchew.

21. O g o

August 8, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I love muma G.you are better than your haters