Music

D’banj premieres “Alaye”, Talks Genevieve Nnaji & Don Jazzy

D'banj - Alaye - BN Music - June 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
D’banj is officially on a roll this 2014.

Earlier this week, he announced that Nollywood star Tonto Dikeh has joined his record label, and just yesterday, he introduced the “Lee” family – see it here, and today we have new music from him.

Titled “Alaye“, the 34-year-old musician is playful as usual and so entertaining. The song is produced by recently signed DB Records producer 2Kriss.

[audio: https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dbanj-Alaye-BN-Music-BellaNaija.com-01.mp3]

Download

Benjamin Njoku of Vanguard Newspaper recently interviewed the entertainer. Here are excerpts from the interview
On mistakes: “One major mistake I made was not doing something differently in the past, considering all that happened between me and my ex-business partner, Don Jazzy. This is because we never really had issues. I believe, people that fueled the problem. May be, I should have fought more for what I brought up.

I personally found and signed everybody that belonged to the one time popular record label, “Mo Hits Records” consisting of major artistes such as Wande Coal, Dr Sid, D’Prince, Kayswitch and co-partnered with Don Jazzy. I recall one time when he told me that he wanted us to go our separate ways. I also remember asking him to give me about six months to fashion out modalities for the separation.

May be, I should have requested for one year. But like I sang in one of my songs “Top of the World”, I have no regrets parting ways with him. However, I should have tried harder, which I did. But in all honesty, I’m grateful to Almighty God.”

On if he misses Don Jazzy:  “Not more than the ordinary. You know, when you say you are missing somebody, it means you need the person in your life. No, I don’t miss him. But I saw him at the MTV music awards, in South Africa. We run into each other every now and then. People are alleging that we have come together again.

Who told them that we are quarreling? It’s just that we are running our own different businesses now. He has his own record label called Mavin Records, while I have my own label, DBM Records. Nobody is saying, we cannot do music together, or perform on the same stage again. In fact, while I am celebrating my 10 years on stage, it also means that Don Jazzy is celebrating 10 years of his musical career.”

On if the split affected their relationship: “Of course, it affected our relationship for a long time. It’s close to two years since we broke up. But we have been seeing each other. Probably, we will get into the studio soon to do songs together.”

On reports that he is dating Genevieve Nnaji: “There have been so many rumours about so many things. I don’t like to talk about my personal relationship again because people always misunderstand me. But rumours must always be rumours.”

On setting the record straight: “Honestly, I’m not dating Genevieve. Let me clear the air now.”

On if he had a crush on her: “I never did.”

On settling down: “Of course, I am thinking of settling down. Who said, I am not married? My private life must remain private, especially to the press.”

On if he is secretly married: “It could be so.”

On the woman in his life: “I wouldn’t disclose her identity so that they don’t plan to kidnap her.”

Read BN’s last scoop on D’banj and Genevieve Nnaji – HERE.

On the part where he said he never had a crush on her. Click here to read an interview, where he said he would love to marry the actress.

1. Joan85

June 14, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Someone is subtly tendering an apology/offer to reconcile…very subtly. 🙂

2. Gistyinka Blog

June 14, 2014 at 5:03 pm

The world can’t wait to see that lucky women you are talking about.

3. Mostest

June 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Sadly, it’s still all about bragging for this young man. All his songs, his lifestyle, when will he realise that the successful artistes are the ones whose lyrics are relatable. This is another great beat he has wasted with rubbish lyrics. He still lays claim to building mohits, “I should have fought more for what I brought up”, “I personally found and signed everybody”, even dprince who is don jazzy’s blood brother? I..I..I !!! Well we all know why he left mohits, for good music and look what happened with that, can only wish him luck with the lee clan. Again if they succeed it will be all him, no one else.

4. Omalicha Nwa

June 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Enoughhhh with blabbing about Don jazzy and Genevieve! They are not even sending u. Jeez

5. Ona

June 14, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Dude ur major “mistake” waS breaking up with Don Jazzy because of ur perceived “american superstardom” once u signed with kanye. E don dawn on u sey getting signed onto an american label doesn’t mean actually being active on the label…now u are back tracking, wishing u “tried harder” and saying that maybe u and jazzy will go in the studio and do songs. You obviously sound somber and regretful….but its too late now. When we were all warning u not to let Kanye’s offer get to ur head u didn’t listen. U let it scatter ur head and u no wan let us hear word about ur master kanye, even trashing don jazzy and co in the process. We never forget o. Smokes and mirrors. Ur eye don clear.

And why is it that u wont just stop addressing this don jazzy and genevieve issue. Its like this is ur ONLY claim to relevance, since u are now old new. And fyi, those of us wey know, know sey u and Gene NEVER dated. U were just stringing along the story to stay relevant.

• Joan85

June 14, 2014 at 6:26 pm

You basically said all I was thinking. “We never forget o…” I still remember clearly. This life ehn, there r some fingers one should never bite, no matter what. *sigh*

• kemi

June 15, 2014 at 2:56 am

I am not even a dbanj fan but yall need to chill! who says this dude can not go far without don jazzy? is don jazzy GOD? how long did it take your so called don jazzy to restructure mavin and come out with surulere, doro bucci etc? jazzy and dbanj obviously have diff personalities.jazzy practically lives on social media and knows how to engage with fans, and that is working for him, dbanj is obviously not a social media person. i believe dbanj is focused and he will do well with his record label cos he is a good entertainer, he just needs to pay hype machines and engage better with fans. those 2kriss guys he signed are good. he will be just fine! if not for tiwa, do you think everyone will be ohing and ahing about mavin? sid, dprince and those small boys he signed are not that good.

• Winston Balagare

June 15, 2014 at 5:15 am

D’banj–Is that you, calling yourself Kemi?

• jhennique

June 16, 2014 at 9:13 am

Kemi Please take seat!

• kemi

June 16, 2014 at 3:22 pm

1. I am not dbanj! be sensible
      2. Have you ever heard of freedom of speech? dont be silly!

• LiZGlamor

October 30, 2014 at 4:11 pm

”Those small boys” do u mean korede & Reekado? U must b a fool sha. So u expect don jaZzy 2 sign in old men lik uR grandfaTher nd his frnd shay? Mumu lik u no supose comment + let me remind u dT mavin record is seriosly ballin wid donJ producin hits! Sit ther n run ur mouth lik a parrot….iiiiiiiiiiiiidiot

• Olori Tari

June 15, 2014 at 7:55 am

Your last paragraph. Yes, of course he is the one asking himself questions and he is the one answering them too. And you read all he said and couldn’t pick up the part where he insinuated the break up came from Jazzy ? HIAN !!!

6. Serene

June 14, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Dbanj you are so full of urself sha. So at this your level of incompetence, you still think people care about you that much to “kidnap” your current babe? LMAO! What was your last hit single again?lol. And please dead this don jazzy issue! He never even talks about you. I always sensed that you and gene never dated because you don’t seem like her type and she never claimed you publicly, but you are just an attention whore for always alluding to you guys dating and even saying a while ago that you love and want to marry her. All of a sudden now, you are saying you never even had a crush on her? Ok. Anything to stay relevant i guess.

7. missme

June 14, 2014 at 6:15 pm

As old as you are you still not know what you want. It’s quite sad. Please keep things real with yourself.

8. Noble (http://www.lagosconvo.com)

June 14, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Hehehe… Grabs a bottle of groundnut and a cup of kunu( the very who send you size). I have a feeling the voltrons will come out in their numbers.

9. wiklo

June 14, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I bet it took him 5mins to write the lyrics to this song…….Using the beat template of Don Jazzy’s “Surulere”

10. Lara

June 14, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Dbanj,pls lets hear word and perform lets see ur stuff with the new group you just formed.Must you copy Don Jazzy style?Must you form group like MARVIN?Signing Tonto of all singers and you publicly brag about that.You think it’s about actress and there popularity?Its about the music o,no one knows the likes of wizkid and Davido before o,it was there good music that brought them to limelight.Mind you,Don Jazzy develop musicians and not look for ready made.It was only when he needed replacement for Dbanj that he signed in Tiwa Savage.So please,affect your generation by bringing up new artist.The way 2face and BankyW does.Muchewwww.

11. Igbos Wan DIE Oh!

June 14, 2014 at 7:56 pm

My Igbo brothers and sisters abeg make una no die bcos D’banj dissed your genevieve and attention seeker don jazzy. Abeg leave am alone. Bella Naija post my comment, thanks.

• Me

June 14, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Its a pity that young people still draw lines of tribalism even over small issues like this. This my dear, is the main reason for bokoharam…the unnecessary division

12. miss fab

June 14, 2014 at 7:57 pm

it feels like DON JAZZY S peeps re the one commenting here o………….ALL THIS JEALOUSY yes they ve parted ways, u guys at least should let him be and be matured about this whole thing please.. if you don’t know the real story about what happen,PLS SHUT THE F UP remember WANDE COAL LEFT AS WELL …so let the sleeping dog lye …

13. MISS FAB

June 14, 2014 at 8:03 pm

like serious enough of you guys bad mouthing D-BANJ, no body knows whos at fault here BSIDE WANDE COAL left as well not just d-banj like seriously guys we need to grow up and stop spoiling peoples career hes making his own money FYI. and why do i feel DON-JAZZY IS BEHIND all this comment?

• Changing Faces

June 16, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Please get off BN and go back to school…

14. Me2me

June 14, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Gennie wears something a diamond ring, without a band last I checked but I feel she is married and its to Dbanj. This is pure speculation too but a lady who can hide her daughter so well can hide anything. Note Dbanj said I never had a crush, maybe cause it was not a crush but like or love. He also said, he could be married, no one asked him

15. ITK

June 14, 2014 at 8:33 pm

is it only me that thinks this beat sounds like SURULERE

16. Wiklo

June 14, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I bet this took him about 5mins to write out the lyrics to this song……..the song even has the beat sequence of Don Jazzy’s “Surulere”…

17. bukola

June 14, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I don’t know y some people do not mind their business. Dbanj said he is not dating Genevieve. There is different btw dating & married. No body shd nose into their affairs. They both knew what they are doing. If he said he’s not missing Don jazy; is there any crime in that. Naija people let Dbanj be. Both Dbanj & Don jazy are making their millions u are all there creating & judging.

18. miss fab

June 14, 2014 at 9:56 pm

19. Marie Antoinette

June 14, 2014 at 9:56 pm

BangaLee!…BangaLiar of life! Smh.

20. missy J

June 14, 2014 at 10:00 pm

People should stop hating biko. Let’s be honest, Dbanj has achieved quite more than Jazzy after the split. You all can come back to talk when Don jazzy or any of his Marvin artistes perform at the world music award let alone win a ‘world music award’

• Orishirishi

June 14, 2014 at 10:37 pm

LMAO!!! Even u don’t believe that bullshit! Dude is living off his past glory. Was his performance televised? WHat in the world is WMA? Its just another award….not as popular as grammys or MTV awards which the mavins and other musicians have bagged. Truth is that dbanj has no relavance besides his association with don jazzy…admit it, u wont die! Which of his songs post-mohits was a hit? All he does is make noise and lie up and down. The guy is an irritant, and even the don jazzy he’s always talkn about never talks about him. Now he wants to do music with him?? LMAO! And u’re saying jazzy never pass him yet? He’s the one chasing jazzy not the other way round so sweety eat ur words right now.

• Lola

June 15, 2014 at 8:07 am

Exactly !!! Dbanj is international and not a local champion . Dbanj performed at the world economic forum , do you know what that means ? It’s not just any tom dick and Harry that would performs at these events . Dbanj is the man who brought modern day Nigerian music to the international scene also if it wasn’t for tiwa people wouldn’t care about mavins . Dbanj continue to be successful jare . Donjazzy isn’t God , people can be successful without him and are successful without him .

• Ona

June 15, 2014 at 1:57 pm

U guys are a joke! Music world story….world music awards….and so?? na today? He is living in past glory obviously! What made him relevant enough to get those opportunities was his shine in mo-hits. Tell me why dude is still performing mo-hit songs if he’s “bigger”? WMA is not the biggest awards in the world my dear so chill. Was his performance televised? His mates in the industry has won bigger and better awards and have been on bigger platforms so pls.

Dude is just a liar. From Mo-hits to good music to universal to sony….now DB records and u expect us to take his corny ass serious?

21. Sean

June 14, 2014 at 10:23 pm

donjazzy is loosing that’s all I can say,always trying to get cheap attention on social media,he uses that to stay relevant

22. DramaQueen

June 14, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Sweetie I’m ur number one fan. Continue with ur fantastic music. I love u so much. And I hope to meet and have a private chat with u someday. Don’t mind the peeps badmouthing u. They didn’t make u. We ur fans will always be here for u. Good luck with ur relationship. But if eventually things don’t work out with u guys, don’t mind to hala at me lmao

23. enkayz

June 14, 2014 at 11:06 pm

i really don’t care about who is more successful, i just don’t enjoy reading his interview. u must not answer all questions asked. try reading Jim Iyke’s interview , that guy is INTELLIGENT.

24. Tee

June 14, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Common sense is definitely FAR from common!So much trash written here,its unfortunate some ppl don’t think before they write.Like seriously,if D’banj is not asked abt Don Jazzy and Genevieve,wld he jus start talking abt them????Or does he beg the interviewers to ask him questions abt Don Jazzy and Genevieve???Can’t some of u think?Isn’t it so damn obvious that for as long as D’banj is in music,he wld constantly be asked random questions linked to Don Jazzy in particular if not necessarily Genevieve?Can’t HATING by some of u be done with a little bit of sense and justification?Does anyone really kno wot went wrong with Mo’hits?U call this guy all sorts of names,yet he doesn’t seem to be going down in anyway!With the way he was overly criticised,I didn’t expect to hear the name D’Banj in Naija Entertainment Industry after 6mths of the split but alas its over 2yrs and this dude is still balling.Mehnnn,na wa o.Some ppl in this life are truly pathetic.D’banj,I can only wish that u rise above ur enemies and make an effort to listen to constructive criticisms.God Bless you.

• Lola

June 15, 2014 at 8:10 am

Thank you o , he was asked questions about them . People are just looking for something to hate on . Dbanj I love you and I wish you more successful years in the entertainment industry .

25. gara

June 15, 2014 at 12:11 am

Damn…Looovee! this song is giving me lifee

26. Winston Balagare

June 15, 2014 at 5:22 am

It’s so sad to see people come here to defend D’banj. He’s a grown man, and a public figure–let him fight his own battle with his reputation. All that is being said about him is largely due to the words that leave his lips. He’s not a likable persona. He doesn’t come off as genuine. And most importantly, his music sucks. It’s quite curious how now that “Dorobucci” is really on fire, that D’banj decides to push his own “crew” down our throats. His “Lee Family” is a struggle-crew; “we don’t believe you–you need more people.” I wish he would simply vanish from the music scene and go make American hip-hop with Kanye.

• ultra

February 10, 2015 at 10:54 am

Ds must b don jatty jatty..

27. don jazzy

June 15, 2014 at 11:24 am

Ah! Dis world.ppl shd just mind their own business and make impact like dbanj and jazzy.stop d judgement and move on.dis boys wey don make am, no even get ur time.be smarter haters and lovers……………

28. Tee

June 15, 2014 at 8:25 pm

@Winston,my friend hold ur lips!!!Who is not a likeable persona?Suddenly he became a “not a likeable persona” after splitting wiv Don Jazzy!You and your likes just chatting gibberish.U expect evryone to beef him rite?And wot has left his lips that is enuf for such dumb hatred frm a a particular group of ppl?My friend go and sit down if u av nothing to say.Hw silly a statement @Dorobucci and relating that to D’banj uploading his Lee Family?U sound so silly.Hw much music produced by Mavin makes sense if I may ask asides Surulere?How won’t D’banj’s music suck to u when u and ur likes are deafened and blinded by the hate u av for D’banj?Do u take ur time to listen to some words being sung?More importantly,D’banj isn’t forcing himself down ur throat so pls be quiet!U have a choice not to click on anything tagged D’banj yet ur unkind self won’t let u be unless u read posts tagged D’banj and worse still,drop silly comments.

29. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

June 15, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I’m a huge fan of Dbanj – as long as he dishes out good music (something he hasn’t been doing of late.). There are several questions an interviewer could ask Dbanj right now without including Don Jazzy or Genevieve. Yes several. Going on and on about Don Jazzy will make him go all defensive. Besides, interviewers need to do more research when it comes to interviewing these people.

Meanwhile, Dbanj didn’t lose out – at least not financially. Yes he’s been dishing out atrocious songs these days but he’s still smiling to the bank via other avenues. The GOOD Music deal was paid for by Dbanj (industry people know this) – it was a management deal FOR Dbanj and it sure paid off. It opened a whole lot of doors for him especially on the international front (not only in music). The deal was for about 3yrs or so which is why he doesn’t talk about GOO Music anymore.

I’m not wen going to talk about his new “Lee” gang. Sigh!

I’d be shocked if BN posts this comment though.

30. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

June 15, 2014 at 9:16 pm

*even. Autocorrect o gbadun o!

31. bukola

June 15, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Whosoever hate Dbanj becos of Don jazy is far frm good things. Do u know how much this guy is making in judt 2 to 3hrs show, yet u re comparing him with Don or marvin records. Enough dhd be enough. Dbanj has represented this country in international conference severely; Nations Cup 2013, AE with President Obasanjo, recently he led the Campaign of Cocoa na Chocolate, ambassador if BOI endorsed by President Jonathan, Ambassador to GLO etc. Banged so many Awards.all these huge success is after he left Don Jazy. So what are u haters talking about than to embrace goods things so that u may be great. …. Dbanj keep on shinning in Jesus name Amen

• Ada Nnewi

June 16, 2014 at 9:11 am

Reading your comment just induced a migraine….#STAY IN SCHOOL#

32. Uche

June 16, 2014 at 9:26 am

….. How people are just focused on personal business and insults that no one evens remembers to comment on the new song……

erm…. or would it be that there is nothing memorable about the song!!!!…. i don;t like thou!

33. Bunmi

June 16, 2014 at 9:46 am

@Ona,ur write up is all so full of crap.Do u know hw the industry operates?U are so full of bitterness abt D’banj.Pls list which award winnable on African platform that D’banj hasn’t cos I am honestly wondering abt the daft statement u made abt his mates in industry winning more awards.Wot better platforms have his mates in the industry been on?I’m listening.Who in this world told u he doesn’t perform other songs asides Mo’hits songs?Like seriously,are u okay?Clearly you are obviously the LIAR here and yes D’banj is BIGGER!Deal with it…And to that mumu who said he has no relevance than his association with Don Jazzy,his recent appointments as ambassadors for the 2 diff banks he is signed onto as well as GLO re-appointing him again has to do with Don Jazzy abi?His Top of the World song used as the theme for African Cup of Nations has to do with Don Jazzy abi?Him being the lead singer alongside 19 other African Artistes thru Cocoa na Chocolate song also has to do with Don Jazzy abi?Clearly u are overly confused!Ppl like u really and truly shld be ignored.

• kemi

June 16, 2014 at 3:26 pm

God bless you! Don jazzy is not God. Tell him to chill with social media too.Does he have a life aside twitter and instagram?

34. sum1special

June 16, 2014 at 11:07 am

D’banj is definitely confused. I watched an interview were he clearly stated that he liked Genevieve and would want to marry her. What is he now blabbing here?

35. Jofjac

June 16, 2014 at 11:50 am

Seriously in my life, I hate people that beef and hate on dbanj. WTF, do U mean he can’t be successful without Don jazzy? To me, Dbanj is doing well and Jazzy to is. If the interviewer doesn’t ask him about jazzy and gene, he wouldn’t talk about them tho. And another thing is, if you don’t like this is new Single “Alaye”, then I will know U can never like any good thing in life.. Even Jazzy doesn’t know what dorobucci mean, and we all liked it, we don’t even care about the lyrics or anything, its only Dbanj music U cool down and listen to the lyrics. Why are U hating on him please, the more U hate on him, the more he get successful.. Free him please..

36. Amh

June 16, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Ride on Eja nla. Why r people forcing genny on him. Genny is the original coded runz babe that has wakaed everywhere. Why, u peeps introduce her to your dad or your brother. Na by force, she has her regular clients she serviced. They were friends with benefit. I think she suits don jazzy more than dbanj. Carry on dbanj. You r no 1 in Africa,

37. kim

June 16, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I don’t hate dbanj or don j but lets call a spade A SPADE. dbanj is actually living on past glory. u can see he his struggling to stay relevant while don jazzy is just cruising with his mavin crew n they(mavin) come out with hit songs. when was dbanj last hit? and who the hell signs tonto dike as an artist? seriously? don jazzy knows profitable business when he sees one, dbanj is struggling and people like him jump on any opportunity they hear of whether its profitable or not and dats his problem. BEING SUCCESSFUL IS ONE THING AND STAYING SUCCESSFUL IS ANOTHER. dbanj pls calm down and think. p.s don jazzy isnt God, he is just a wise, successful and result oriented person, dats all.

• Kwame Honsu

June 18, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Stop talking rubbish! What do you mean “Don Jazzy is not God?” If Don Jazzy is not God, then who is God?

38. kim

June 16, 2014 at 3:10 pm

and besides, interacting or trying to get new fans on social media isnt a bad thing. its good for entertainment and for business. dbanj should learn, it wont kill him.

39. bukola

June 16, 2014 at 3:17 pm

@jofjac, God bless u. When Dbanj said he’s not dating Gene & never had any crunch on her. Dbanj & Gene love each other. Crunch means someone u wish to love if u re opportuned. Pple shd totally free Dbanj cos the d more they hate Dbanj d more he smiles to his banks.

40. Winston Balagare

June 16, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Stupid people, please, stop it! Release your lips from his waist. D’banj is no more a talented artist. If he was so talented, and had so much confidence in himself, why would he try to sign Olamide to his label? Olamide is a star; and D’banj wanted to share the spotlight with him? No–he wanted to use him as a main draw to his label, since his own music isn’t that anymore.

Nigerians are always so sentimental about things that remind them of the past. It’s over! That was then. He’s no longer a muscian. D’banj is now a garri peddler, and professional smirker. Look at his mumu face, always smirking, like he knows a secret.

Yes, they should stop asking him about Don Jazzy, because it seems to upset him. I can understand that, having been replaced by with Tiwa Savage, and with Mavin being as hot as they are right now.

And, yes, maybe they should stop asking him about Genevieve. Maybe they’re asking the wrong question, and they should be asking him if he has a boyfriend. There’s nothing wrong with that. We won’t judge. #COMMOT_DBANJ

41. CoolDJ

September 27, 2014 at 2:49 pm

It is surprising that people want to tear Dbanj apart, if your biz partner refuse to do biz with you will you just stay there & cry. Dbanj achieved more than Mohit+Marvin put together, his last album is not a flop, it is just like MJ not able to do any album bigger than Thriller, that does not mean Dangerous album is bad. Dbanj is a business man & he is able to lock in serious businesses, I still find it funny that recent successes of Don Jazzy were still tie to Loya milk/MTN when Dbanj is rocking Hernerssy/GLO endorsement.