News

BREAKING: Malaysian Airlines Plane Crashes in East Ukraine | All 295 Passengers & Crew Feared Dead

BellaNaija.com

Malaysia Plane

A Malaysian passenger plane which has 280 passengers and 15 crew members on board has reportedly crashed in East Ukraine, near the Russian border.

All passengers on the flight are feared dead, The Independent reports.

According to reports, the plane was travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

The picture above is from an alleged video footage of the crash, which has been posted on Youtube. However, according to reports, it is unclear if the footage is actually of this particular crash.

Malaysia Airlines has confirmed the incident, according to Business Insider.

Another report states that a source close to Ukraine’s interior minister said the Malaysian plane was “shot down.”

The minister was said to have come to this conclusion because the Ukrainian air force had been shooting down some rebels’ planes in the same area over the last week.

This plane crash comes 130 days after the mysterious disappearance of the Kuala Lumpur to Beijing-bound Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370, which had 239 passengers on board.

Update:

The cause of the crash is still being investigated.

U.S Vice-President, Joe Biden, reportedly said that the crash was not an accident and that the plane was “apparently blown out of the sky, ” The Independent reports.

Crash 1

Man helping put out a fire at the site of the plane crash

According to reports, casualties – passengers on the plane include 80 children, 23 U.S citizens, six Britons, 154 Dutch, 27 Australians, 38 Malaysians, four Germans, four Belgians, one Canadian, and three from the Philippines. The nationalities of the rest of the passengers are yet to be confirmed.

Meanwhile, a Facebook post from Cor Pan, who was allegedly a passenger on the plane, has gone viral after he reportedly posted a photo of a Malaysia Airlines plane with the caption: “If it disappears, this is what it looks like.”

Malaysia Flight mh17

***

This is incredibly sad. Our condolences go out to all the families and loved ones of the passengers.

Photo Credit: Business Insider/The Independent/Facebook/Buzzfeed

1. geeeeh

July 17, 2014 at 4:45 pm

heeeey, what did they dooooooo? Malaysian so sorry ooo, the first time missing and now crashing.

2. Ada

July 17, 2014 at 4:48 pm

It was brought down by a missile Bella Naija

3. The girl who flies planes

July 17, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Only speculations for now.
    Maybe Russian Seperatists shot it down. Maybe it just crashed!
    MH17 schipol to Kul

4. Easy n Gentle

July 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Don’t be so quick to jump into conclusions and fault the Airline. I understand that “Malaysia” name rings out and blogs will be eager too to create traffic. The reports says it was brought down by Pro-Russia Seperatists in Eastern Ukraine who have been fighting for 2months now to Merge some parts of Eastern Ukraine to Russia. They thought it was the Eastern Ukraine Army re-inforcement. This is not the first time they brought down Aircrafts in the last Month. Its only making news because it contains the word Malaysia and its a civilian flight

• Easy n Gentle

July 17, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Alleged reports…

5. Easy n Gentle

July 17, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Pro-Russian #Separatists in E.#Ukraine confirm they shot down #MalaysiaAirlines plane w/295 ppl on board

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 17, 2014 at 5:22 pm

They did what??? Hot damn. I see a lot of emergency meetings being held by commercial airline carriers as they start measures to redefine their flight paths across that part of the world… or maybe not even fly anywhere near that part of the world…

Seems to the bystanding observer like me that Ukraine should be immediately and clearly labelled a “no-fly” zone after this incedent. And Force Majeure clauses are going to sting like a bee for any passenger (and I’m earnestly praying there’ve been no casualties) who wants to seek compensation. But then again, if the airline could have flown along a different route to the same destination, would it be FM? Watch the International law debates begin to work their way into this one…

• Anon

July 17, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Every flight between London and Dubai flies the entire length of Iraq every day. Most surface to air missiles can’t reach above 11,000 feet. At 40,000 feet airlines are safe from traditional anti-aircraft activity. This is the third (a transport and military jet) plane in days to be brought down. Just about everywhere south of that area is a war zone, So which path will you choose? It’s a moot point really.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 17, 2014 at 6:01 pm

@Anon, I actually didn’t even consider that (about commercial flights passing over conflict areas like Iraq on a regular basis). Not sure what it means, then, if the missiles are now proven to bring down objects at 40000 miles, as I can almost bet that aircraft insurers are definitely going to review change their conditions of cover to completely avoid that risk (in exactly the same way that watercraft insurers started spelling out certain limitations once piracy became an internationally recognized problem). Can’t see any aircraft operator continuing to travel in the same way if that happened so I still wonder how the general flight industry is going to deal with this problem.

• Anon

July 18, 2014 at 8:47 am

Not similar to the piracy one. There is already insurance for terrorism (it covers a whole lot) and they will review or change it if this becomes a usual occurrence. There have been 6 or 7 commercial planes that have been brought down in a similar fashion and they may say this stat is too low to alter anything.

• baboushka

July 17, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Not the first time the Russians have shot down an airliner by the way they also shot down a Korean airliner in 1983

• Anon

July 17, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Very correct a 747 with 290 people aboard. Done in the heat of the Cold war.

• Dr Clandestine

July 17, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Some of you need to log off your computers and go to sleep. You were either too young to have really understood the “Cold War” or were too busy gallivanting to be aware of the gimmicks of international relations, so I won’t expect you to understand the meaning of the keyword “propaganda”.

Who told you Russia shot down this aircraft? And why are you evoking the memory of the downed Korean airliner of 1983? You had to go as far back as 30 years to find a negative point to pin on Russia whereas you conveniently failed to “remember” that UKRAINE (yes, Ukrainian military) admitted to shooting down a RUSSIAN passenger plane just in 2002, which crashed into the Black Sea killing all 78 people on board!

So, you see, Ukraine does have a history of shooting down civilian airliners too!

Like I said earlier, if you are unable to understand the keyword “propaganda”, is better off singing their favorite nursery rhymes OFF-LINE, than typing rubbish on the Internet.

A plane went down just hours ago (this afternoon), yet some people have already started spreading word as to who exactly shot it down. Of course, naturally, the propagandists fingers will all point to the pro-Russia separatists, and even to Russia itself!

I wonder which night school some of una go sef.

Personal Advice: carefully listen to the way and language Western news media are, and will be, reporting this incident and you just might (depending on how seriously you listen) detect a deliberate attempt to pin this on Russia.

Not to sound too pro-Russian myself, I just want you to know that I am not taking any sides here, only saying that:-

(I) it is too early to say what happened to the plane e.g. crash or a missile strike, and
      (II) if it was a missile strike, it is too early to say where it came from, who fired it and the motive behind it.

This is exactly what everybody (military commanders of the West, Ukraine and Russia) is currently working feverishly to determine right now, as I imagine.

Honestly, 33,000 feet is a really lofty target for an amateur with amateur equipment to score a direct hit. Very heavy weaponry was most likely used.

But just to let you know something, the Russian Federation is unlikely to shoot down a commercial airliner belonging to a friendly nation (Malaysia) just a few miles from its borders (the plane was few minutes away from entering Russian airspace when it went down in Eastern Ukraine).

Would you start a big fire at YOUR OWN doorstep just to spite your grumpy neighbour who lives DOWN THE STREET from you? Probably not, unless you’re mad.

Let’s just watch and see how this unfortunate event will turn. As it started in 1914 with the “simple” assassination of an Austrian archduke and his wife, which led to World War One; there is no telling which way this particular incident might spin to or how high it will escalate tensions.

My deepest condolences to the families of the victims and to the entire Malaysian people who now have to mourn the loss of two identical, very expensive aircraft (Boeing 777-200ER) full of their citizens. While they are still trying to locate flight MH370 in the depths of the Indian ocean, flight MH17 was today torn into shreds and shrapnel in a conflict that concerns them not. They were just passing — rather, flying — by.

We all must go on our knees and pray to God to avert such tragedies on our own ways. An aeroplane could come crashing into you bedroom while you sleep. It happened at Iju-Ishaga here in Lagos, 2nd June 2012. I’m sure nobody has forgotten that. No body knows who’s next. Death can come calling at the wrongest hour.

Just live right. Be fervent. Pray without ceasing. Draw near to God and He promises He’ll draw near to you, too.

What a sad year for Malaysian aviation 2014 has turned out to be. My deepest condolences!

• Anon

July 18, 2014 at 8:43 am

Oh shut up Dr Clandestine with your patronising tone. Disinformation agent.

• Dr Clandestine

July 18, 2014 at 11:57 am

@Anon: I am only sorry for people like you (perhaps) who are very ready to swallow Western propaganda hook, line and sinker, without stopping to think about their own health.

For the record — I say this again — I am not taking anybody’s side on this issue, just yet. Facts are still emerging. This is a fresh incident of a very, very controversial nature, as far as international relations go. Expect a lot of selective reporting for propaganda purposes. I’m just not easily taken in by the double-standard media coverage we often see from the Western media powerhouses — BBC, CNN and Co.

We saw this happen recently, and still seeing it.

If an aircraft is shot down over rebel-held airspace in Syria, the West will be quick to say it was shot down by “Government Forces”. They start telling you about the trajectory of the missile that hit it, the sophistication of the weapon system that shot it down and all what not.

Same thing happens in rebel-held East Ukraine, the same logic no longer applies. The sophisticated weapon that brought down this flight MH17 is NOT being mentioned as a possible implication of the Ukrainian government forces (who are obviously far better armed and capable that the separatists, just like in Syria). Instead, they are busy stretching the argument to blame it on the separatists who they say ‘”might” have obtained such weapons from Russia. Why don’t they invoke the same argument in Syria?

Same problem happens, two different logic of reasoning used.

@Anon, if my opinion and tone sound “patronising” to you, I am only sorry for you. Evidently, you do not understand jack about the goings-on in this world.

Even I do not claim to know.

My Personal Advice: Do not swallow what the BBC and CNN dish out to you as news, especially when it comes to non-Western allied nations, in particular, the Russian Federation. You might get a nasty sore throat. As far as the West are concerned, Russia is an old enemy. Go read some books and educate yourself (be careful about the authors).

My condolences to the people of Malaysia. Year 2014 has turned out be an aviation “annus horribilis” for them.

6. aisha

July 17, 2014 at 5:12 pm

So sad…not again.

7. god'slove

July 17, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Extremely sad for the families. The airline has a lot of grieving families to deal with. May their souls rest in peace.

8. baboushka

July 17, 2014 at 5:22 pm

About two weeks ago I had the strangest dream I saw a plane in the sky then it came down low the next thing it was on fire and crashed the colours were blue and red and in my dream it was a British airliner no name but the word British kept hovering in the air could this have been a premonition scary stuff! I have dreamed about things that have happened before I am now even scared to dream again

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 17, 2014 at 5:38 pm

The Bible does say (although I don’t know if you’re a believer or not) that in the end days, young men shall dream dreams and old men shall see visions. I’ve also dreamt of events that have come true, sometimes good dreams in which case I’ve rejoiced exceedingly with those who benefited from the good fortune… and sometimes bad ones, in which case I’ve woken up and prayed, prayed as much as possible that I’ll never see the dream becoming reality.

If you do believe in the power of God, pray against your dream coming true like Hezekiah did against the vision of his own death (2 Kings 20:1-11). And just to butress that, I once heard of an actual situation where someone dreamt his friend’s mother died but woke up and dismissed the dream. It turned out the death occurred to his own mother. My point here is that we may not always know it but those negative dreams could be closer to impacting our own reality than we think.

• baboushka

July 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Awww thanks MZ SA and yes I am a believer this event got me googling “premonitions” and boy oh boy they are plenty of us around the world who see and dream of things that have come to pass. The plane dream lingered in my mind for several days after until I dismissed it and only came back to me judging by the fact that Malaysian Airline colours are blue and red which were the exact same colours the plane in my dream had on it’s logo whose name I could not decipher. Thanks for your kind words:)

• baboushka

July 17, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I have decided to start documenting such weird dreams in a blog just incase

• Kay

July 17, 2014 at 7:10 pm

You may have a gift that not many people have. Be mindful of its power and stay connected to the Spirit for directions. Definitely stay in the place of prayer, as Mz Socially Awkward suggested.

• baboushka

July 17, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Thank you Kay. Be blessed.

• The girl who flies planes

July 17, 2014 at 10:30 pm

two weeks ago i also had a similar nightmarethat a boeing was on fire in the sky and i was crying profusely because in the nightmare i was just standing and watching it. At first i thought it was british airways and when i went close, after the plane fell down, it was aerolineas argentinas also blue and white. I woke up and told my boyfriend and he was like ‘pray babe’!
      Its was so scary!

9. Idak

July 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm

In view of the fact that I fly that Airline weeks back,I have more reasons to thank God.
    Whether it crashed or was shot down,my thoughts are with the families of the passengers. This is a heart wrenching moment.

10. Anon

July 17, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Poor innocent souls caught up in a needless war between Ukraine and Russia. Poor airline. This year will be their annus horribilis.

11. @edDREAMZ

July 17, 2014 at 5:40 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    This is really sad i swear, may the souls of the dead R.I.P…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

12. Mz Socially Awkward...

July 17, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Sh*t. Certain news agencies are actually carrying the story that all 295 have been killed by the crash. This is completely bad, how terrible for the families and the airline management. Competely avoidable tragedy which should not have happened. 🙁 🙁

13. Babawalexy9ja

July 17, 2014 at 6:03 pm

So sad,May dr souls rest in peace

14. shannaro

July 17, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Terrible loss of life R.I.P. Insane airline for carrying on flying passenger jets over a war zone when its known ukraine planes are being shot down

• Anon

July 17, 2014 at 8:48 pm

The flight wasn’t in a restricted area unsuitable for civilian aircraft. So your insane comment is silly.

15. preston

July 17, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Ukraine’s Interior Ministry adviser says the plane was shot down by a missile. More than 290 casualties, including 23 US citizen. Tragic

16. Tru

July 17, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Lord…

17. Tosin Olumito Oladapo

July 17, 2014 at 9:13 pm

May Deir soul rest in PEACE

18. sum1special

July 18, 2014 at 11:27 am

This is no longer funny. What is happening?

19. Flames