Sweet Spot

Imagine your Male Gynaecologist is Caught Secretly Photographing/Videotaping your Pelvic Exams – What Would you Do?

BellaNaija.com

The above headline is more than just a hypothetical question. It was a question that thousands of women had to ask themselves, after it was discovered that their male gynaecologist, whom they trusted, had secretly recorded their pelvic examinations.

For those who don’t know, a pelvic exam is a relatively short procedure whereby a doctor manually and visually assesses a female’s reproductive organs. During the procedure, the doctor checks the vagina, vulva, uterus, cervix, rectum and pelvis, including the ovaries, for growths, masses or other abnormalities. It is usually recommended that women have pelvic exams at least once a year.

The doctor who was caught recording his patients’ pelvic check-ups was Dr. Nikita A. Levy, a gynaecologist and obstetrician at Johns Hopkins Community Medicine in Baltimore, The New York Times reports.

Doc Nikita Levy BN

Dr. Nikita A. Levy

One of his colleagues noticed that he always wore an awkward-looking pen around his neck, and became suspicious. It was later discovered that the “pen” was in fact a concealed camera, which he had used to record the examinations for years.

Hospital authorities fired Levy in February 2013, and he committed suicide ten days after.

After conducting investigations, the F.B.I and police discovered over 1,000 images and videos he had saved on various computers at his home. However, they concluded that Levy hadn’t shared the photos and videos with the public, and so no criminal charges were filed.

A class-action lawsuit was subsequently filed against the hospital, accusing  Levy of “harmful and offensive sexual” contact with patients.

Earlier this month, Johns Hopkins Hospital agreed to pay $190 million as compensation to the women “for the gross violation of doctor-patient trust.”

However, patients have to wait for final approval by the Circuit Court for Baltimore City, before the money can be released to them.

Speaking about the case, a lawyer for the patients, Jonathan Schochor, says:

“They [patients] feel an extreme breach of faith, breach of trust and betrayal…many have had changes in their ability to focus, problems with sleeplessness. Some have had changes in their relationships with spouses and significant others.”

***

Bella Naijarians, what would you do if you were in a situation like this? Would the monetary compensation be enough for you to move on? Have you ever been in any situation where you suspected your gynaecologist of malpractice? Share your thoughts/experiences with us.

Photo Credit: The New York Times/Dreamstime/ Michael Zhang

1. nira

July 29, 2014 at 5:25 pm

This actually happened to my boss last year at one of the general hospitals here in lagos. She had gone for cervical cancer screening and after being led to the examining room, and her legs wide opened, she was waiting for the doctor to come examine her only for him be followed by quite a number of students doctors, as in he wanted to her as specimen for lecture without even asking her for her permission. She was so outraged, she started shouting and the students doctors were like” madam, please now, please help us now”. Lwkm it was so funny when she was narrating it. She was so outraged. Doctors need to stop this, really, cos I m sure he aint the only one doing it.

• NaijaPikin

July 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Well it’s not quite the same…….bringing in other learned doctors (for professional purpose) is allowed and is quite common in teaching/general hospitals (it’s one of the reasons why costs are lower at teaching hospitals). However they should have informed her prior.

Recording, now that’s just crazy. You’ll go crazy wondering what was done with it. guess lawsuit is the only remediation for these folks since the doc decided to take his life.

• Jennifer

July 30, 2014 at 1:56 am

Naija Pikin, what are you saying? What do you mean it’s allowed? It is NOT allowed without permission. My goodness! What a preposterous comment you made.

• Eniola

July 30, 2014 at 1:54 pm

which kain stupid allowed!!!abegi… they r supposed to ask you before.

• Elizabeth

July 29, 2014 at 6:04 pm

lmaooo what rubbish. not only madam help us, which type of stupid help?? smh

• Idak

July 30, 2014 at 8:44 am

They often need to have been present at a specific number of examinations to qualify for end of year exams. So it is not uncommon for students to be found begging patients to be willing specimen for these tests and examinations.

• fisa

July 31, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Madam help us……………….lol i can just imagine the look on dr faces. This really cracked me up

• Phatchick

July 29, 2014 at 6:08 pm

LMAO!!!! @Madam please now, please help us now”. Chai! Diaris God O.

• Chike

July 29, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hahahaha “madam, please now, please help us now” LMAO!!! I just cant…. hahaha

• keep calm

July 29, 2014 at 7:34 pm

LMAO. its expected. thats why it is called a teaching hospital. only problem is that the woman should have been informed prior.

• Bumsy

July 29, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Hello Nira, the two scenarios are not the same. In teaching hospitals there are always medical students in different phases of learning. Since they will be treating human beings they have to learn using patients. In fact, I am sure one of them would have clerked the patient, present to senior register or Consultant before examining together. So along the process introduction would have been made and consent issues sorted out. Your boss couldn’t have been bombarded.

• Bumsy

July 29, 2014 at 10:03 pm

* presented to a senior register…..*

• Idak

July 30, 2014 at 8:15 am

It is not the same at all.
      Anyway,on. A related note, I knew a house offocert who was a member of such team and a lady like you boss reacted in same way. The expletives the boy poured on the woman was crazy. He asked her what was special about her intimate organs? Whether she knew how many of such he had to examine on a daily basis and that he was even tired of seeing and touching such. Asked her to please open her legs as he had other things to do.
      Not the best customer service but the woman was ‘humbled’.

• Idak

July 30, 2014 at 8:45 am

House officer

2. anonymous

July 29, 2014 at 5:56 pm

imagine.. that Doctor is a goat. that is one thing i hate that is being done at teaching hospitals. why would u use a patient without permission.

3. Ruby

July 29, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Lool! @Nira Straight out of a Nollywood movie! Are you for real? The man is an idiat! Mscheeew!

4. Nelly

July 29, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Been to the gynae(male) a few times but ‘ve never have I had to spread for him. It’s predominately females nurses that do the screenings here (London) & such intrusive examinations or a ladydoc. Plus even if it is a male doc, I hear it it is rarely ever without the presence of a female nurse.

5. Sage

July 29, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Lol @ nira’s comment. As in it’s just hard for me to imagine it. The way I will woz the doctor ehn? Hmm

6. sharon

July 29, 2014 at 6:33 pm

@nira that was very funny,can’t stop laughing. Well if it happens to be I don’t think it will affect me that much since dere is notin abt women he has not seen or touch, an dere are others apart frm me and the video was not shared to the public. But I will make sure he pays for it

7. Someone

July 29, 2014 at 6:41 pm

This is one of the major reasons some men will not allow their wives to be examined by a male doctor.

• Iris

July 30, 2014 at 3:47 am

NO. This is one of the major reasons some women will not want to be examined by a male doctor.

• Idak

July 30, 2014 at 8:28 am

Insecure men.

8. Gorgeous

July 29, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I have gone to a male Gynae before and honestly felt so violated. I wonder how they make it in their profession with guys like this. Smh

9. Ftm

July 29, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I remember my last examination, I saw a female nurse and only for me to enter the room off my pant and a male dr walks in to do the examination, I flung off the bed and requested for a female asap. The male dr looks like one of the Decon in my church. God forbid, they were telling me he is the head dr I told them I don’t care I want a female asap. When I told my hubby he was laughing at me all week.

• Idak

July 30, 2014 at 8:37 am

What if there was no female gynae?

10. Ngo

July 29, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I honestly don”t understand what men do in this field. I find male OBGYN doctors to be perverts…. I’m sorry, but that’s what I’ve come to believe. It sickens me why anyone female will want to spread open for male doctor…. I don’t understand…

• Stephanie-Feld

July 29, 2014 at 9:14 pm

What would you say about men who have to get a hollow Colposcopic evaluation by a female OBGYN. Perversion knows no gender. There are female OBGYN’s that have done the exact same thing that Nikita A. Levy did and gotten their behind fired. There are terrific male and female OBGYN’s out there. In the same manner there are perverted male and female OBGYN’s. The only thing one can hope for is that they don’t end up on one of them’s (perverted) obgyn exam table.

11. nikky

July 29, 2014 at 8:22 pm

If labour was the case, those legs will be wide spread! You will be begging for check up lol

• D

July 29, 2014 at 9:26 pm

lmso… ain’t that the truth…

• Dee

July 29, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Thank you jare, I don’t care about the gender of my gynecologist I just want the best available and someone professional. If I feel he is acting inappropriate at any point I’ll get up. I don’t have time for any fake modesty when it’s about my health. Male Gynecologists have generally seen enough vaginas to last them a life time so nothing special except for a few perverts.

12. daydayg

July 29, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Some ppl are pervert. What if the female doctor or nurse is a lesbian?

• D'Mamma

July 29, 2014 at 9:39 pm

You have raised a valid point o

• Idak

July 30, 2014 at 8:27 am

Double wahala for dead body!

13. mide

July 29, 2014 at 9:34 pm

@ nikky pls tell them. Una go spread taya

14. nira

July 29, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I know its a teaching hosptial, but why do dat without having to ask for the patient’s permission?

15. omo

July 29, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I wld totally freak out,I had a vaginal examination last year which was done by a male lab attendant ;i felt so violated(he kept pushing the probe in like his life depended on it) and to mk matters worse,I hadn’t shaved in weeks,I never,ever want to go through that again.

• Nini

July 30, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Sooooo funny @ not shaved in weeks

16. vickky

July 29, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Please girls there is nothing like a “student doctor”. It is either a “medical student” ( an undergraduate studying medicine) or a “resident doctor” (who is a fully qualified doctor working full time, being paid a salary for it and at the same time undergoing further specialist training in a particular field of medicine). That terminology does not exist and shouldn’t be used.
    Regarding that doctor in USA, he was truly a pervert and escaped proper punishment by taking the cowardly option of suicide. Remember too that his colleagues noticed his camera pen and exposed him.
    Regarding the issue in Nigeria, the incident in the government hospital, the lady ought to have been pre informed that medical students (probably undergraduates hence their apologetic plea’s) would have been in attendance.
    The truth is that teaching hospitals by their very name are established for the primary purpose of training medical students and doctors. The very elderly specialists that we all prefer to see were once medical students. I concede that being attended to with an audience is an occasionally unpleasant aspect of receiving healthcare in a training institution.
    Regarding the issue of males in O and G, people should first of all think of how many female doctors we have as a whole in Nigeria then think of how many want to really do O and G. It is really quite a stressful specialty with numerous night calls and emergencies. That specialty is not all about pelvic exams. There are a lot of stressful life and death moments. The C section that has to be done in the next few minutes, the battered rape victim, the pregnant lady with heart failure, the unconscious convulsing pregnant patient, I could go on. Factor in the Nigerian challenges of water and electricity, the problem of supplies and patients who present in extremis then one needs a strong constitution to undertake the specialty.
    When its a critical situation you wouldn’t care the sex of the obstetrician, heck you wouldn’t even care if it was an alien. you would expect the life (yours or your loved one) to be saved.
    On a final note the Medical and Dental council had recently struck off a very perverted young man who molested his patient.
    It seems like a rant, please bear with me.

• NaijaPikin

July 30, 2014 at 11:41 am

To clarify, undergraduates do not see patients. You start seeing patients from medical school (graduate).

17. Steph

July 29, 2014 at 11:36 pm

This is why I feel much more comfortable with a female gynecologist.

• Idak

July 30, 2014 at 8:15 am

Same reason why I rejected my female urologist. 🙂

18. kiki

July 29, 2014 at 11:52 pm

thanks Vickky . you made some valid points

19. keechi

July 30, 2014 at 6:33 am

Hell yes I would gladly take the compensation money! Are u kidding me? That’s at least half a million if not more. I won’t be that upset either bcos obgyn see hundreds of vajayjay everyday so it is what it is. I would just think it was weird!

20. Ftm

July 30, 2014 at 8:15 am

Yinmu @ whoever said in labour you go spread taya, maybe in naija sha but in uk o my midwife is female & I’m 9mnths preggers but will be giving birth at a midwife led birthing centre. Meaning females only no males and if I see a male il be requesting for a female before the pain enters my brain lol

21. aleesha

July 30, 2014 at 9:36 am

as long as the gynae is professional, i have no issues. the gynae who saw me throughout pregnancy was male. but i felt sorry for myself after delivery, cos the audience i had while i was being stitched up ehn! my holy of holies in full view just like that. *sniff*

22. Omo1

July 30, 2014 at 9:52 am

And he had to be black! Hiss

• AfricanDaisy

August 1, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Plenty male gynecologists of all color have done the same! Just look up Dr Paul Becton or Dr Davinder Jeet Bains…. Men of all color get aroused by naked women… fact. That’s why I only go to women gynos.

23. ego

July 30, 2014 at 10:35 am

Una never see anything! When you are in labour and ten male doctors, or even fifty, come to examine your cervix let me see if you won’t open your legs. All this story will be forgotten. As for me all the cervix examination was done by male docs. My cs was also done by males. As far as I know there are more males than females in that field of medicine.

24. NIRA

July 30, 2014 at 10:55 am

My OBGYN is a man, saw me through pregnancy and delivery and I’ve never felt violated in anyway. If I were those women, I’d collect the money, definitely. Thank goodness the videos haven’t been shared with the public, and the Dr. is dead. It doesn’t matter to me what sex the OBGYN is, as long as they know what they’re doing.

25. HonestJohn

June 23, 2015 at 8:36 pm

If you sleep with dogs be prepared to deal with the fleas. These women knew this was a man when they spread em. No sympathy here.