Music

D’banj Talks Tackling Poverty Through Agriculture on ABC News | Read the Transcript

D'banj on ABC News - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
ONE campaign ambassador D’banj and the Africa Executive Director for ONE Sipho Moyo were invited to ABC News to discuss with host George Stephanopoulos about the the upcoming U.S.-African Leader’s summit.

D'banj on ABC News - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02 (1)
You can watch the interview here.
Read the transcript;
George: Africa get something much attention right now. There’s the man they call Africa’s Bono.

Nigerian superstar D’banj. He joins us now with Dr. Sipho Moyo.

The executive director in Africa for the one campaign. Thank you for joining us. One of the goals of the video was to get African countries to invest 10% of national budgets on agriculture.

Why is that the key?

D’banj: Well, good morning, George.

For me, coming from Africa, it is so key for us to know what we have. And if you look through, when I was approached, I wanted to start the campaign. Ten years ago, the African leaders called me and said, 10% for agriculture.

Of the annual budget. Why? Agriculture has been seen to be the fastest way of eradicating poverty and creating job creation across Africa.

By the time we finish this, we have 1 million or 2 million African youth saying we want to support agriculture. “

George: How do you get it done Dr Moyo, when so many African nations are suffering with corruption, weak governance and health challenges like Ebola?

Sipho Moyo: “Well I think what is really exciting about this is that, we have struck a chord with agriculture.

We polled nine countries. Citizens in nine countries about what their real priorities were. One thing we heard from African citizens is it’s important for the leaders to invest in agriculture.

So I think this whole campaign really struck a chord. Because this is coming from the citizens. The pressure is coming from African citizens.

It’s made this a very different kind of campaign. And one which they will keep commitments on. I think that is really what it is.

You have citizens saying to the leaders, you need to keep this commitment. And that’s what is going to make it stick.”

George: And d’banj, what would you hope to hear from president Obama at the summit this week?

D'banj on ABC News - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02 (2)

D’banj: “For me, first of all, the theme of the summit is why we’re here. It’s investing in the next generation. I’m glad I’m privileged to be from the next generation.

Using my music. Using our music, which, ten years ago, we had no record label, no industry. Because we believed in ourselves and what we had, we continued and now the music industry is the biggest export from Africa after oil and gas.

I will just say that president Obama should please help us. Make sure that the African leaders, what they’re permitted in the summit, make sure they implement it. Because we have what it takes to unravel the wealth in Africa.”

Sipho Moyo: “On that theme. George, if I may come in there. It is exciting because this is about investing in the next generation.

Looking for it and hoping that the key discussions will be around agriculture. That is the biggest potential for moving the most number of people out of poverty. At the same time.

As well as talking about energy. That is holding back development in Africa. The lack of energy really holds back and, you know, hampers education, health, and particularly the agriculture.”

1. leetemple

August 4, 2014 at 5:46 am

This guy is a legend !

• www.blogsvila.blogspot.com

August 4, 2014 at 6:32 am

As in! The agriculture thing is really taking him places. Am happy he is excelling in something decent
      www. blogsvila.blogspot.com

• e-bukun

August 4, 2014 at 8:41 am

Legend? as in the beer? :/ I guess we throw that word around easy these days. *but that ain’t even my business though*
      He didn’t sound too “legendary” in that interview. Obama should help you? To do what? Na ya papa?

2. lah

August 4, 2014 at 7:03 am

I’m glad he spoke well

3. Hi

August 4, 2014 at 7:16 am

What energy are we talking about here?!!!!! Are we talking about water and electricity? Or talking about solar energy? Please make it clear for the learner

4. bruno

August 4, 2014 at 7:21 am

This is so laughable.hahahahaaha

5. cicimileko

August 4, 2014 at 7:25 am

the real “EJANLA”. OSHE…………………

6. Hi

August 4, 2014 at 7:25 am

Is it me or the abc News camera angling? Dapo Oyebanjo resembles Fred Amata.

• Anon

August 4, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Yes! A darker version.

7. thewickedone

August 4, 2014 at 7:27 am

Intelligently delivered. Good job dbanj

8. Gistyinka Blog

August 4, 2014 at 7:30 am

Over the years D’banj, path road is different from others. Hope One awereness and obama summit will benefit the local farmers. Eja Nla thanks for making us proud.

9. Olori Tari

August 4, 2014 at 7:32 am

#LeeTemple Alive. Love this guy…Go D’banj!

10. Maz Isaiah

August 4, 2014 at 7:36 am

Am happy as long as he has no other motives. We have had countless celebrates who went through the same path but have not really made any change.

11. funx

August 4, 2014 at 8:14 am

So proud of him

12. Honeymix

August 4, 2014 at 8:26 am

Dbanj looks clean mehn. And he’s gradually rebranding himself. I wish him success in everything.

13. yinka

August 4, 2014 at 8:27 am

I must say Dbanj. looks really different…and I mean it in a good way

14. mandhip

August 4, 2014 at 8:52 am

Now this is leadership! Making a major contribution and maximum impact through your gift, fame and position. He doesn’t sing to get people accolades again on the street or on social media but sing to effect a positive change. I remember when d song cocoa na chocolate is released, a lot of ignorant Nigerians are making a mockery now dat same song is making a difference already in country like guinea. Dat same song has brought him before Bill Gates, recognition on ABC new and now meeting with Obama in few days. This is a new level for dbanj. Haters are catalyst to move someone to a new height. Ride on bangalee you are inspiration and motivation to a lot of people include myself. God bless

15. Ayomikun

August 4, 2014 at 8:57 am

With this interview I can categorically say that nigerians are aggressive. It takes me back to Tara’s interview too when slowly her voice began to rise in the defensive when she was responding to the interviewer. Though a short interview in dbanj’s case, the same happened to dbanj in this video.

• Anon

August 4, 2014 at 1:41 pm

So just two people and you have concluded that Nigerians are aggressive! All Nigerians? Flawed statement.

16. pearly cherub

August 4, 2014 at 9:06 am

Happy 4 bangalee

17. ned

August 4, 2014 at 9:12 am

I applaud d’banj & this agricultural vision. No intentions to seemingly fire cheap shots but can’t d ‘ bank speak articulately? His sentences seems like they’ve been hurriedly thrown on a chopping board and …oh well

18. Riwa

August 4, 2014 at 9:44 am

Creating Job creation,,,,,,,,,#puzzled

19. Busarni

August 4, 2014 at 9:53 am

kudos to you dbanj but be more articulate next time. Study and read wide.

20. Amh

August 4, 2014 at 11:57 am

Eja nla. You r blessed,

21. Desert Rainbow

August 4, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Like my form teacher would write at the bottom of a poor test script “There is room for improvement”.

22. dizzy

August 4, 2014 at 1:56 pm

There is room for improvement.
    But i must say, for his first try , he did really well.
    A few interviews later and he will master it!

23. Teniola

August 4, 2014 at 6:52 pm

@Ned,he can speak articulately but my dear,this is a very tough one for him.Agriculture is super wide and he has to do a whole lot of research so as not to be lost!In the real sense of it,he really tried here but there is definitely room for improvement and he looks like he is on his toes and ready for more challenges in this aspect which is super encouraging.Well Done D’banj dear,more power to your elbow.

24. kaylah

March 1, 2017 at 5:01 am

am beginning to wonder, why we criticize so much,. no wonder a lot of people desire more than enough push to actually go out there and make the change that their hearts moves them to. its really sad that we can sit comfortable and just comment and analyse at every little steps people try to make. am short for words though, let me rest my case.