Music

DJ Cuppy talks about Misconceptions of being Billionaire Femi Otedola’s Daughter

BellaNaija.com

DJ Cuppy & Femi Otedola - August 2014 - BN Music - BellaNaija.com01

She may be Daddy’s Little Girl but DJ Cuppy wants to be known for her talents rather than just the daughter of Nigerian billionaire Femi Otedola.

The father and daughter have such a sweet relationship. Every time, the fast rising DJ has an event, her proud papa drops all to support her.

In an interview with Encomium Weekly, Cuppy who has been making headlines for months chats about her plans for the music industry, her background and being in a male dominated industry.

On if people take her serious as a DJ: “There are times when I go to an event and I am with my manager, they look at him and not me. There is this assumption that I can’t be the DJ. It’s something they don’t expect. But I love my job, yes!”

On how long she plans to be a DJ: “That is why I started my music company. As far as Nigerian musical content is concerned, there is so much potential here. I want to take Nigeria to other places that have different sounds, and with my job I am so fortunate to travel around. We underestimate the power of music here, people use music to interact.

In the long run, I want to have a company that will give opportunities to African artistes, a platform to launch themselves into the world scene. It’s great that I have a talent but how do I commercialise it? I am doing my Masters in New York, US. I am concentrating on Music Business. I am looking at the legal side of entertainment.

A lot of music artistes waste away because they are not well protected. So, my 10-year plan is to bring all these into the Nigerian entertainment scene.”

On her parents’ reaction when starting out: “I am lucky to have supportive parents. What stops young people from following their passion is the lack of support, not necessarily financial support. I have the most amazing team and people around me always advice me.

My parents push me to be a better version of  me, I am not trying to become someone else but just being myself .

Growing was scary, I am very excited about my projects that sometimes I am overwhelmed. My dreams are bigger than me. I am blessed to have parents that support me  in what I do, they push and challenge me.”

On getting recognized because of her father: “It’s true, I am following my dreams and doing an exciting project and yet it’s overshadowed by my background or influence. It’s quite difficult, talent and passion speak for themselves.

People sometimes doubt I could actually do the job. It’s a bit disappointing, I am a honest person, people should identify more with what I do and how passionate I am about it. We all have our platforms, it now depends on how you are making use of that platform.

You can get opportunity based on different platforms that can only take as far as you go.

After a while, if you are not good at what you do, then you won’t have anything to do afterwards.”

On if she will take over her father’s business: “My parents are so supportive of what I do, especially my mother. She inspires me, she is such a strong woman. Regarding future prospect, I think it will be better to do what you love.

When you do what you love, you do it well. It doesn’t feel like work because it is what I love doing. I see myself in the future doing what I love. I have a Masters degree in Business and if I decide to delve into business, it will be fantastic, but I am more passionate in what I do now.

I have always wanted to do my own thing whether creative or not, I got that entrepreneurial spirit from my father.”

On if being a billionaire’s daughter is an advantage: “There is always a good and bad side to everything. There are opportunities and there are things I miss out as regards personal life. Anybody that thinks being a billionaire’s daughter is an advantage must also remember there are disadvantages.”

Photo Credit: Ebenezer Dada for Insigna Media | DJ Cuppy PR

1. deb

August 12, 2014 at 6:41 pm

The disadvantages of being a billionaire’s daughter are better weighed than been a common man’s daughter. If I hear you say ” the rich also cry, I will tell you the poor always cry”

• CLARI

August 12, 2014 at 7:09 pm

You are absolutly right, the rich also cry but the poor people always cry everyday

• sandra

August 12, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Spot on! You have to be thankful if you are rich because life will be manageable even though you will have problems cos we are all human

• Azzin! What does IT have to complain about? #RichPeopleProblems

2. Jenny

August 12, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Oh please who is the talentless rich kid buying column inches with her fathers money!! Rubbish
    She’s a DJ…meaning she’s plays OTHER PEOPLES Records!! Anyone with an iPod can do that kmt

• hiu

August 13, 2014 at 9:19 pm

what the hell, why are you being so rude.. calm down, i met her once and she is actually a really nice person who is trying as hard as she can to make a name for herself as opposed to wasting her parent’s money.if someone who wasnt as ‘financially-able’ as her had all these interviews you wouldn’t be talking like this.. all i got from your comment was JEALOUSY and HATE. Pray to God to change your own struggles, don’t you worry about what she’s doing because my dear she ain’t worrying about you or all the other haters out there

• Sherif

August 14, 2014 at 4:18 am

Don’t be a hater! Must you comment if you got nothing good to say?

3. Mademoiselle

August 12, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Ohhhh my goodness!!! How many more posts on this girl??? And no, I am not hating. Just think she, as a topic, is being dragged the hell out!!

• jegede

August 13, 2014 at 9:23 pm

no my dear.. you are hating.. you saying you are not hating doesnt mean you’re not.. You really DID NOT have to type your rude comment, instead if you’re really bothered about seeing all these posts on her, you wouldve continued to scroll down on bellanaija. instead you chose to open the link, read the article, and then comment.. my dear… eeslikeyouhaveissues
      just saying….

4. Dee

August 12, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Girrrrrl I’ll take the disadvantages 🙂

She’s cute though

5. Muse

August 12, 2014 at 7:40 pm

OK it getting ridiculous no. Aren’t you bloggers and pr guys even feeling like sycophants now? enough biko.

6. Dekunle

August 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm

At least she didn’t say there are no advantages. Lol. Cheers to her though. Being a “creative” in this part of the world in particular isn’t easy. Billionaire father or otherwise

7. Kia

August 12, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Enough! With this girl pl.

8. sandra

August 12, 2014 at 8:04 pm

DJ Cuppy, Omo daddy ( daddy’s baby girl). I always like to see the pictures of her dad looking at her with that daddy and daughter look. It is good to see that even Naija billionaires can be responsible family men and appear so involved in their kids business ( even a daughter). However Nigerians are facing so many challenges now O ( DJ Cuppy). Try and also get involved in social awareness programs that can be relevant to Nigerians, you can produce music that is ethnic Naija and also address some of the social problems we as a people are facing, we dont need too much Oyinbo people stuff now abeg.

• PurpleiciousBabe

August 12, 2014 at 10:25 pm

True say

• troublemaker

August 14, 2014 at 2:23 am

exactly!

9. TA

August 12, 2014 at 8:08 pm

*Big yawn* . Yeye dey smell for here.Barman,please pass me another shot of mojito.

• Que

August 12, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Hahahahahahaahhhaaaaa!!!

10. BabyDee

August 12, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Yawnnn….BN, please enough of this girl.

11. niyola

August 12, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Man its good to have a rich dad oh. I mean talk about branding herself. All I hear is cupp this cuppy that. Trust my naija celebs to attach themselves to her. Like does a DJ need this much branding sef or am I missing something

12. temibalo

August 12, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Lmaooo

13. Bewa

August 12, 2014 at 10:14 pm

nawa o, you guys please stop hating. she’s a billionaire’s daughter, yes! but that doesnt mean she’s talentless. she seems passionate about what she does, so give her a break biko! most of you wanna be in her shoes, just admit it. The fact that her dad is a billionaire means she buys her way out of things? you people with your myopic orientation sha. and being a DJ is more than just playing other people’s records. get enlightened!

• tola

August 12, 2014 at 11:44 pm

its just hate that is wrong with them . have realised people who hate are secret admireres

14. koseyan

August 12, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Oshi o da.we haff heard naaa….Next is how DJ Cuppy got her name,her dog’s role during her grad…eish!!!
    if u like,no post my comment.

15. Sabongari

August 13, 2014 at 2:17 am

Brown envelope journalism toh bad o

• Owelle

August 15, 2014 at 9:11 am

Asin eeh

16. Amh

August 13, 2014 at 2:41 am

You wish you were in her shoes. Little sparrow. Good luck beautiful cuppy. You are talented. I reckon the hateful comments came from. Those whose dad. Is not aware of their exsistence.

17. Lindsey

August 13, 2014 at 3:39 am

On a second thought…even if BN ruins this girl’s career, she will be just fine. So carry on BN , knock yourselves out on DJ Cuppy matter

18. Jimmy

August 13, 2014 at 4:20 am

Poor and Broke ass people talk to – much. Shut up. I mean do u even have to comment. If you had the problem with a thread subject like DJ CUppy why did you click to read further and then comment.

Thats why you will be forever broke 10 generations to come. Cos you heart is JEALOUS and you are a HATER.

God has put PAUSE on you!

19. ROBINAHOOD

August 13, 2014 at 7:25 am

bella naija needs to chill!! damn!! we get it! nigerians love to be associated with OBO’s lol! (omo baba olowos) aka rich ppl children.

20. ZeZe

August 13, 2014 at 7:27 am

haters stay sippin…cuppy stays slayin. It’s as if people are upset she’s rich, and she’s an otedola. Be proud of her, she puts nigeria and music in a positive light. Plus house music is the future.

21. Tiki

August 13, 2014 at 9:13 am

Please tell me this was not the English she spoke. PLEASE BellaNaija tell me that the problem was with the copywriter!!

22. sum1special

August 13, 2014 at 10:57 am

I love her.

23. Vocalcords

August 13, 2014 at 11:50 am

LOL! I thought I was the only person who noticed the ”English”.

24. nnennia

August 13, 2014 at 2:33 pm

She made merit in kings college,she is doing her masters now.for someone to make such a great mark,the person has to be disciplined and focused.she wants to follow her own dreams and her father’s name will always be an advantage for her.I don’t know why people cannot appreciate good things in others.for those saying her english is wrong,I hope u have billions in your account as a result of your good command of english.she is young and talented and forever she will not lack.Dj cuppy go ahead and fufuil ur dreams

25. sparkles

August 13, 2014 at 5:57 pm

She is talented. STOP! Hating!

26. solayo

August 14, 2014 at 4:23 am

Pure fresh beef

27. adesuwa

August 16, 2014 at 4:28 pm

@TA LMFAO

28. iAM SOP

May 1, 2015 at 11:22 pm

All dz new sch Djs ehnn, they now av hyping like artists..even more than sef…pls can evrybdy be real here? Shoutin Talent…wat Talent does it require to b a Dj?? When ur nt singing or rapping…to mix songs again is Talent bai??