Scoop

No Vital Part of My Body Was on Display – Omoni Oboli Replies Critics on Her Controversial Dress

BellaNaija.com

Omoni Oboli at Presidential Villa - August 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01 (1)
When Nollywood actress Omoni Oboli got invited by President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for a private screening of her movie – Being Mrs Elliot, it was an exciting day for her as well as other Nollywood practitioners.

Hours later, photos from the screening were shared by the Presidential spokesperson Reuben Abati. In one snapshot, Omoni Oboli is seen shaking the President with her decolletage on full display.

Her dress was highly criticised but in other photos, the dress seems a little more appropriate, which made many defend her and say it was the angle of photography.

In an interview with Punch, Omoni speaks on that dress as well as if she got any money from the President.
On the dress: “I styled myself and I thought the outfit was appropriate because there were no vital parts showing. Sometimes the angles with which pictures are taken can portray certain things you do not have intention of portraying. We have pictures from the event and you won’t see what people are seeing.

The truth is that a lot of people are very bitter and when people are bitter they try to look for a lot of negative things in every positive thing. It is unfortunate that we are in the limelight because if someone else wears that outfit no one will say anything. I don’t even read blogs and see the comments. My true fans know who I am and my intention when I am doing things.”

On if she got a package from GEJ: “Before the screening, they asked me what I wanted and I said I didn’t want anything but that the President and his people should see the movie and give their blessings. For me that is good enough for the industry. The first time I ever saw the President was at his brother’s burial ceremony, which I attended. I don’t know him from anywhere or personally.

During the event, President Jonathan said the government didn’t have money to give me and he said this in front of everybody. So if anybody is going aside to say something else, they are wrong. I returned to Lagos with the small purse I took to the event and after the event I went back to my hotel room and left for Lagos the next morning. I didn’t stay back in Aso Rock or sneak out to meet anybody. I am still hoping they will call us to come and take something, that they are impressed.”

For the full interview, click here.

1. bruno

August 20, 2014 at 6:29 am

How are we bitter, aunty we could see all ur milkshakes in that dress.it was inappropriate period.by the way,I’m sure the movie would be whack.

2. Bullet

August 20, 2014 at 7:03 am

Abeg keep quiet jorrr…..you dont have anything to say in defense of this dress…….it simply is NOT APPROPIATE for this occassion…..common this is a PRESIDENTIAL event …..theres something called CLASS……there isnt any classiness with this dress…its simply makes you look cheap and classless……personally this puts me off and i dont think i wanna waste my money to watch the movie self.

• slice

August 20, 2014 at 1:54 pm

why not just be happy for her. congratulations dear. they showed your movie at aso. maybe when they invite you guys, you can dress appropriately and show her how to do better

• moi

August 21, 2014 at 9:19 pm

happy why?
      lets learn to tell ourselves the truth
      I like her but in this one she goofed

3. del

August 20, 2014 at 7:07 am

Hmmmmmmmmm madam we saw different angles of dat dress, bt sha na ur body after all it is call show business.

4. ade

August 20, 2014 at 7:11 am

The dress was highly inappropriate to see the president! its nothing to do with the angle of the camera….its so silly to be that exposed. Omoni please go check out how beyonce and madonna and the likes dress to see the president of their country! it was an award night! i dont think they should have let her see the president dressed like that! its distracting or mayb she had an agenda

5. ade

August 20, 2014 at 7:12 am

***it was not an award night

6. Bev

August 20, 2014 at 7:19 am

A better person would say, “I made a mistake”. Her dress was cut so low, I could see her belly button. Pure trash.

7. toby

August 20, 2014 at 8:03 am

Omoni Take five there.The main thing is that there was exposure.Didn’t you see how your film and work was not commented on but that rubbish dressing of yours was the subject.FACT:you f****d up.

8. Zirazinny

August 20, 2014 at 8:14 am

Madam please I hope your not blind

9. Ada

August 20, 2014 at 8:18 am

Madam, it is good u confessed you styled yourself. Pls note that your dress was inappropriate to meet a President! As per money, na u sabi. U will not be the first.

10. Anon

August 20, 2014 at 8:31 am

Dim! Stories people tell.

11. tamax

August 20, 2014 at 8:37 am

story for the gods …

12. Emem

August 20, 2014 at 8:43 am

Abeg leave the babe ojare!!! Maybe one contract go fall from this divine meeting… N1.5b contract to supply movies to the National Assembly….

• nene

August 20, 2014 at 5:42 pm

lmao

13. edie

August 20, 2014 at 9:00 am

Angle how? lol, a very odoriferous saga.

• chai

August 20, 2014 at 10:59 am

Kumgaga tuaga! Sorry I could not resist completing this. Lol.

14. Alero

August 20, 2014 at 9:05 am

Of course no “vital part” of your body was on display. They seem none existent!

• nene

August 20, 2014 at 5:43 pm

burn!

15. Adrianne

August 20, 2014 at 9:08 am

Story Story Story… So your husband approved of that cloth that you wore. A married mother of three. I have that same dress in another colour and I had to take it to my tailor to sew in a makeup camisole in front before I could wear it for a wedding
    My dear, you have a hidden agenda. Nonsense

16. pj

August 20, 2014 at 9:12 am

Your dressing would have been nice if the cleavage is covered, the only thing left to see is your nip**le*.

17. Marie Antoinette

August 20, 2014 at 9:15 am

Really? Omoni is shameless sha.

18. kristin

August 20, 2014 at 9:18 am

Omoni’s chest region is not a vital part of her body. Amen!

• Desert Rainbow

August 20, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I mean,the lady’s right.It’s not like we can see her spleen or her ovaries,right? Lmao!

• cryingneversolvedanything

August 24, 2014 at 4:12 am

Spleen ke? Chineke!

19. xyno

August 20, 2014 at 9:20 am

This is what annoys me about our so called ‘celebs’. They just cant handle the truth without calling people ‘bitter’, ‘broke ass’ or the likes. The dress was awful and innapropriate for a meeting with the number one citizen. Just admit the faux pas and move on. It wont kill u Omoni. And ahh how i laugh when some of these z list ‘celebs’ say they have fans.

20. www.thelmathinks.blogspot.com

August 20, 2014 at 9:27 am

“I said I didn’t want anything but that the President and his people should see the movie and give their blessings.”
    “I am still hoping they will call us to come and take something, that they are impressed.”
    Their blessings are no longer enough?

21. Oyoko

August 20, 2014 at 9:50 am

Sis na wao! boobs things for them them lol

22. sum1special

August 20, 2014 at 10:02 am

Madam your flat boobs are showing, that is a vital part of your body…freak. Next time dress appropriately.

23. al

August 20, 2014 at 10:10 am

but the dress was inappropriate. whatever angle the shot is from. yea, the boobs aint showing what the chest is all out.. haba! how was she even comfortable??…the babe has got so much confidence

24. tinnnnnu29

August 20, 2014 at 10:28 am

This woman is sick.so your fans are now Bittered.she keeps styling her self and she keep getting it wrong.i can never be ur fan mrs Eliot.mchew just accept and appologise.wear club dress go meet president.shameless woman.

25. Uju

August 20, 2014 at 10:28 am

I am shocked Omoni………I actually thought you were one of the sensible ones……….smh

26. tinnnnnu29

August 20, 2014 at 10:30 am

Where is her follow follow husband.abi them don devorce?

27. MissW

August 20, 2014 at 10:39 am

Sorry o, madam Omoni, i love you alot but this is not what you wear when going to see the president maybe you should have gotten a stylist instead of styling your self, cos for an A-list actress like you this highly unacceptable.

28. chai

August 20, 2014 at 10:44 am

Madam. I would have been shocked if you came out and admitted you made a mistake. I know you and I felt like calling you to tell you there is a way around this. But my fear is I will be called a hater. Yes you do read blogs and read comments. All your pics that you posted on the internet show you seek validation from your clueless followers. Our celebrities do not know how to absorb criticism. If I were you I would do a reality show tagged “Be my Stylist”. Up and coming stylists would apply for the show and with this “tongue in cheek approach ” People will see your positive and humourous side, while you make money too. Lick your wounds and get a team to assist you. This your one man business has grown and you now need professionals to take you to the next level. People do not like Genevieve or Rita but watch and learn the way they handle their celebrity. Also keep your boys a little bit out of the limelight. Your desperation is not attractive mainly because it is evident. Take care.

• nene

August 20, 2014 at 5:44 pm

you have said it all.

• slice

August 21, 2014 at 2:12 am

with a friend like you, she sure needs no enemies

29. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

August 20, 2014 at 10:46 am

Omoni, to label us all as bitter is coming off as very unfair to we who believe in you and watched you grow over the years and are so proud of who you are today. A woman who is diligent in her ways would stand before kings and not before mere men. Your hard work over the years is beginning to bloom. A private viewing with the president is no mean feat no matter our feelings for towards him. Nobody has it down pat. There would always be faux pas and other misses although well intentioned. We do not have to be bitter to disagree. We only have to ensure that our disagreement comes from a place of love. Sincerely, this should have been one of the times you just kept quiet and let other news overtake the day. Now, unfortunately. your movie which must have taken a lot of creativity and finances has taken second seat and your dress is all about “the cacophony”.

I really pray that your movie does well. I would watch it when its open to the public, but please, next time, don’t go on about haters and bitter people when you hear things being said about you that you do not like,

30. Mahmoud

August 20, 2014 at 11:34 am

Why don’t you show us the other pictures you’re talking about that shows a different angle.

31. adelegirl

August 20, 2014 at 11:35 am

No ma’am there is no justifying that trashy outfit you wore to a viewing of your movie with the President of one of the greatest nations in Africa. Nope. None at all. Just slink away quietly. Your trashy ways which have long been the subject of whispers on gossip blogs are now being exposed. SMH. And to think I doubted those stories about you. Now, no one is really talking about the movie but your trashy outfit. Have several seats pls!

32. Childish feedbacks

August 20, 2014 at 11:36 am

First remove that big a$$ stone wey ur eye b4 u luk anoda person own. Inappropriate ko inappropriate ni. Wey tin do dis dress elegant dress??? Please get your minds out of the gutter b4 degrading with out dated comments. – Edi Yots

33. Iphie

August 20, 2014 at 11:46 am

Ok! maybe a skirt would have been appropriate? or a pair of white pants? any which way, She wear cloth. she was not looking beggerly. her skin is flawless – check. nice smile check-makeup-check. By the way if Angelina Jolie had worn this dress, would the comments have been the same? The joke would have been on GEJ for looking at fine babe. We don’t even know if it was a dinner movie viewing something. Ma people let the matter rest abeg. Let the woman enjoy her hard work biko.

Now to the accused please take time before replying to comments and remarks. Ignore if you can because you are fighting people you hardly know. but take heed because now the public is SERIOUSLY watching you.

You are greatly admired Jare.

• MissW

August 20, 2014 at 3:37 pm

My dear check out wat Angelina Jolie wore to the white house during are meeting with Barack Obama and then you’ll understand that this is a no no.

• nene

August 20, 2014 at 5:45 pm

how many times have you seen angelina jolie dressed inappropriate?

34. chy

August 20, 2014 at 11:48 am

Omoli wore dat dress cos she was so confused of wat 2 wear which led her 2 make bad choice. Sorry ma’mm

35. Hurperyeahmie

August 20, 2014 at 11:53 am

but some parts of your body was on display shameless woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• name

August 20, 2014 at 1:49 pm

ahn ahn! shameless?? it doesnt call for that

36. Sugar

August 20, 2014 at 12:09 pm

In a world where nakedness is now celebrated, I’m not surprised she’ll say that no ” vital part” of her body was on display. Truth is bitter, most of can’t handle it

37. tayo

August 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Haba aunty omoni so u still have the gut to say der is nofin wrng with the outfit na wa o

38. LALA

August 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm

She is as dumb as her comment. She claims that no vital part is on display, but she forgot that here clevage is also called vital part. She claims that she went home with a small purse, but she could have received her money in form of a check. Not a smart lady, so think before talking.

39. Fols

August 20, 2014 at 2:04 pm

You know what, to judge between what Omoni says and what we all saw, let’s call Madam Patience Jonathan to give her 2 pence. Something tells me she does not have kind words for a lady who dressed up like this to meet her husband. She might think you were “auditioning” for a special role in Aso Rock. Lucky for Omoni that the Dame no dey that day.

40. Mary

August 20, 2014 at 2:11 pm

they will always claim that they don’t read blogs and comments, trust me, thay do, that is why they quickly call people haters, they never want to accept their mistakes, if you styled yourself to that event then the only favour you’ll do to urself is to get a stylist, you have never been a good dresser though but other events i have seen you at, you usually cover up in a motherly way and drag your hubby to almost every event, so what happend to this particular one, over excitement made you to go almost half naked and ur hubby couldn’t make it with you. omoni just shut up, who are the true fans you are even talking about, everybody now has fans, fans don suffer sef.

41. Kathryn Cage

August 20, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Madam keep quiet, the dress is outrageous and makes you look like you need help. Next time eh kwa, if you don’t know where to get a classy outfit, try NHN Couture in Lagos or House of Farrah in Abuja. They will cloth you appropriately for a presidential visit. If you like don’t learn.

42. $exyD

August 20, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Why are you people so pained on top cloth matter? I remember when Jlo went to meet d Prince William, what she wore was even worse but some of you applauded her. Running down your own but glorifying foreigners is our way here. Una welldone

• nene

August 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm

nne, please jlo is not nigerian and doesn’t live in nigeria, and she’s known for dressing provocatively and gets insulted for that. madam oboli is always covered up (albeit with a poor sense of fashion), but when she chooses to see oga jonathan, this is what she pulls out of her wardrobe. hymn

43. Bumsy

August 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm

This woman is sick. Your fashion sense has never been it really.
    The dress was very inappropriate, shikena! A nice designer suit or no chest bearing dress would have been better. Someone above said my mind on American celebrities, they don’t ever dress trashy to the white house.
    Then madam, what stupid private viewing are you doing all over the place? Are GEJ, Muazu, etc movie critics now? Abegi, GEJ has some over 200 girls to rescue.

44. Ben Wise

August 20, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Na wa, we can be so critical of people at times. How is that dress inappropriate? I don’t know the type of world you people live in, but let me guess, you do not know anything about class or fashion and you people are calling someone classless.

The dress was beautifully made for the occasion she went to and it fits her perfectly…she went there for movie premier not on official matter, so get that straight.

Besides, these same people criticizing her for her dress never say shit about all these political leaders stealing us blind and ruining the country. And most of you commenting are the first to cheat on your husband and the guys, probably are married to more than one wife, and those are all okay. Such a hypocritical people, sickens me.
    Here is a link to people who wore these same style of dress including First Lady Michelle Obama to a White House event:
    obamadiary.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/obamas-flash-matching-waves-white-house-correspondents.jpg?w=1215&h=1295
    t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-dVGGkMmAU111ISuW1J-U1r5URyAIHaof7GVFvvLIm51-D4se

45. Anonymous

August 20, 2014 at 6:28 pm

LOL!inappropriate to see the president?! So it’s appropriate where na? This goes to show how much hypocrisy has eaten deep into us! DRESSES THAT EXPOSE ANY VITAL PART OF A WOMANS BODY IS INAPPROPRIATE!!! President or not! NONSENSE!!!!

46. Shadie

August 20, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Vital part of your body on display or not, that has never stopped you before from Delta to Bayelsa to Lagos And now Aso rock. Woman pls park well joor for the sake of your children even though your Husband gives his approval to all your sundries. Fear the God that you call all the time. Thank you.

47. Tina

August 20, 2014 at 10:53 pm

That dress is no no please.are there no personal stylist in Nigeria?iam a personal shopper and style Advisor,some nollywood artist needs real help.

48. anne

August 21, 2014 at 12:05 pm

someone just made reference to prince William, the fact that he is the grandson to the queen of England, does not make him a president of a nation. I bet JLO would not appear that way to see the least president in the world. Omoni’s dress is a no noooooooooooooooooooooooo for a presidential meeting. Besides she wasn’t going for a party or AMA awards.

49. T-GLORY

August 21, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Highly inappropriate dress, seriously u would have done better

50. tee babe

August 22, 2014 at 2:27 am

Wen I saw d pix was so surprise dat she culd dress lik dat even though she appears to b decent.4 moi d dress is a no

51. Miss H

August 22, 2014 at 8:19 am

While I agree with everyone about the dress, I am just wondering why the President’s protocol didn’t do anything. Isn’t there suppose to be a dress code for visitors to the Presidency? Or may be they really didn’t see as much as the photographers camera.

52. mercii

August 22, 2014 at 11:13 am

did she think she was going on a date with GEJ? You fall my hand jare!!!

53. pearl

August 23, 2014 at 7:05 am

Omoni I used to respect you. But you disappoint me big time. Now u come online to defend your foolishness. My friend don’t allow your fans weep for you

54. jwezee

August 24, 2014 at 2:16 am

Na only Ompni waka,come…..these comments just killed,me,*Rotflmao*

55. jwezee