Style

1st Photos of Lisa Folawiyo’s Spring/Summer 2015 Collection Showcase in New York

Lisa Folawiyo Spring Summer 2015 Collection New York - Bellanaija - September 2014001

Today, Saturday 6th September 2014 Nigerian Designer Lisa Folawiyo of the eponymous womenswear label Lisa Folawiyo (formerly Jewel by Lisa) showcased her Spring/Summer 2015 collection in New York, and we are very excited to share the 1st photos with you.

Lisa and her team showcased the collection for press and buyers at the Laudrée in the big apple and from the 1st photos we can already tell the collection was one to behold.

The pieces were made from the brand’s signature silk ankara, organza and lot of fringe detailing, fabric inserts and layers. We love the twist on each piece transforming what starts off as simple/basic silhouettes, transforming into more complex designs. We can tell that detailing was key for this collection.

Lisa Folawiyo Spring Summer 2015 Collection New York - Bellanaija - September 2014002

The venue

Lisa Folawiyo Spring Summer 2015 Collection New York - Bellanaija - September 2014003

One of the showcase models during early morning fittings

Models Behind-the-scenes

Models Behind-the-scenes

Lisa Folawiyo Spring Summer 2015 Collection New York - Bellanaija - September 2014004

The Lisa Folawiyo Team and Interns – Zara Okpara, Lisa Folawiyo, Henrietta Audu, Chika Nwam…

Supermodel Oluchi Orlandi stopped by to show her support in a fab Lisa Folawiyo dress and.

Lisa Folawiyo Spring Summer 2015 Collection New York - Bellanaija - September 2014005

Stay glued to Bellanaija.com for more photos from the collection and showcase.

Photo Credit: Instagram/Lisa Folawiyo & Jewel by Lisa

1. bruno

September 6, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Thank god she changed the name, that “jewel by lisa” was so basic and didn’t sound commercial enough. But must u use print. Just because u are african that doesn’t mean u should use print 24/7. There’s nothing complex about the designs if u ask me.

2. bruno

September 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm

There’s nothing complex about the designs, I can’t see structure, or draping, this clothes are just regular ready-to-wear.

3. Carliforniabawlar

September 6, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I prefer the brand Jewel by Lisa sha! I’ve always been intrigued by branding and marketing. It’ll be interesting to see how/if the name change affects her brand.

4. @edDREAMZ

September 6, 2014 at 8:02 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Lovely stuffs she gat there…… More grease to ur elbow gal…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

5. Temitope Oluleye

September 6, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Short of words……..

6. nia

September 6, 2014 at 9:25 pm

why do we need white models for god’s sake? black models barely have jobs in the fashion industry and now the few black designers need white models to wear african cloths? shaking my head!

• hmmm

September 7, 2014 at 9:18 am

Actually it might also seem a bit racist if she only uses black models when on the international scene (it works both ways) I don’t see anything wrong with having a mix, but hey what do I know.

• S!

September 7, 2014 at 10:06 am

She is showcasing in NewYork, obviously she has to use white models to show the versatility of her clothes on white people. You don’t expect a lot white people to be thrilled if it’s seen on a black model.
      Again we don’t know if the model agency she used/could afford had black models, so please move your sentiments aside and be realistic!

7. Lady D

September 6, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I am proud of Lisa, surely intend to support. Naija represent and God bless. 🙂

8. muse

September 7, 2014 at 2:26 am

Nia because white models gonna pay her bills. shame!

9. muse

September 7, 2014 at 2:31 am

Bruno I agree with you be original or fall out. Her designs of before were more aligned to the new name. This one is very RTW in an awfully basic way and better aligned to JBL as a brand. You should have kept the name if you were falling out of originality for this.

10. Caligula

September 7, 2014 at 4:49 am

I see haters commenting.. As of y’all big heads can do a quarter of what she’s done? Her shit is solid, period. If you all know what it takes to put a collection together & show at fashion week – y’all would show more respect. Congratulations Lise! 🙂

11. fbi

September 7, 2014 at 5:56 am

**jogging &surfing**

12. humm

September 7, 2014 at 9:02 am

Oluchis outfit appears to be the only good looking outfit of them all. Perhaps if she shows the rest of her collection, one might have an idea of what she is about as a fashion designer. Good luck to her, because showing in NY doesnt mean that you are going to be a successful desgner.

13. Modella

September 7, 2014 at 10:06 am

Oluchi is all I see! BN were is Elite model pics? I keep refreshing this page

14. nene

September 7, 2014 at 10:26 am

this collection is not good. can’t african designers use other types of textiles (chiffon,silk,etc) instead of only ankara? ankara is not that versatile and the texture is hard.

15. Little birdie

September 7, 2014 at 10:41 am

Why are her designs soo ugly. I personally preferred the old jewel by Lisa, everything was so lady like and pretty. Her collections now look like a mix between what an old woman bought and what a 5 year old threw on. The thing with Lisa is that she is trying to convey a crazy mix of Alexander Wang and Chanel. Pls stay true to your ascetic and stop making ugly clothing’s that are only good for editorial use. Look at Valentino and Chanel they still maintained their ascetic for over 40 years, it just evolved. Lisa if you are reading this, pls go back to doing something more feminine not patching prints together and calling it a collection

16. Tenga Davies

September 7, 2014 at 6:39 pm

To be fair, the pictures don’t capture the bling on the fabric, which is the wow factor. i saw a short video clip of the show and the fabrics looked really nice. However I only liked a couple of the designs. I think, Lisa is trying too hard with putting complicated designs out there. The over mixing of prints is a bit nerve jarring. I liked the dress she wore. it worked perfectly. I used to be a huge fan but it seems after her first few runs she is struggling with what to do. You don’t have to keep trying g to redesign the wheel when you have one that owls perfectly well.
    I think her JLable is the best thing in the group at the moment. The designs are simple, classic and absolutely lovely

• Non professional opinion

September 8, 2014 at 12:31 am

I agree with everything you said…..except for the jlabel which I think is ok but too pricey for how basic it is. I feel that way about most of Lisa’s stuff because you have to do more than beadwork to have me shelling out thousands of dollars.
      I think when it comes to positioning the brand she does a great job and because she flys the flag abroad one wants to be supportive…..it’s just that the clothes ain’t great, and this collection was in general, ugly.
      She did her best work when she was making beaded ankara girly dresses but once that market filled up and she tried her hand at being edgy and ” designer” her limitations became obvious and the fact that her pieces never lasted more than 1 season in any store outside of nigeria shows that the west isn’t really enamoured either.
      She is fortunate that she doesn’t need the money to survive which means she can keep pushing till she finds a formula that works for her and she will then translate great press into great sales……and I like the name change.

17. jay

September 8, 2014 at 9:48 am

basic confused designs. nice fabric.

18. sum1special

September 8, 2014 at 11:44 am

contemporary.

19. Sola

September 30, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I think sometimes she tries too hard to make her stuff ‘happen’ but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have one or two nice outfits admist the not so nice stuff. To be honest, I wouldn’t buy her clothes because I don’t think there is anything really spectacular about them but she does seem like she has a lovely personality which unfortunately doesn’t translate into good sales or a popular brand line. Thank God she doesn’t need the money anyway and it’s just a hobby. She should stick to making household stuff with the ankara and beads. I once saw her cushions and things in Selfridges and they actually looked stunning!