News

African-American Actress Claims She Was Detained for Prostitution for Kissing Her White Boyfriend in Public

BellaNaija.com

Daniele Watts - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
A rising actress Daniele Watts, who played a maid in Quentin Tarantino’s 2012 hit movie Django Unchained, claims that she was mistaken for a prostitute for kissing her partner who is white in public.

She was also detained by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Daniele Watts in Django Unchained

Daniele Watts in Django Unchained

In an emotional Facebook post, she said on Thursday she was stopped for no good reason.

Here is what Daniele said;

“Today I was handcuffed and detained by 2 police officers from the Studio City Police Department after refusing to agree that I had done something wrong by showing affection, fully clothed, in a public place.

When the officer arrived, I was standing on the sidewalk by a tree. I was talking to my father on my cell phone. I knew that I had done nothing wrong, that I wasn’t harming anyone, so I walked away.

A few minutes later, I was still talking to my dad when 2 different police officers accosted me and forced me into handcuffs.

As I was sitting in the back of the police car, I remembered the countless times my father came home frustrated or humiliated by the cops when he had done nothing wrong. I felt his shame, his anger, and my own feelings of frustration for existing in a world where I have allowed myself to believe that “authority figures” could control my BEING… my ability to BE!!!!!!!

I was sitting in that back of this cop car, filled with adrenaline, my wrist bleeding in pain, and it occurred to me, that even there, I STILL HAD POWER OVER MY OWN SPIRIT.

Those cops could not stop me from expressing myself. They could not stop the cathartic tears and rage from flowing out of me. They could not force me to feel bad about myself. Yes, they had control over my physical body, but not my emotions. My feelings. My spirit was, and still is FREE.

I will continue to look any “authority figure” in the eye without fear. NO POLICE OFFICER OR GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ME. WE ARE EQUALS. I KNOW THAT I WILL ALWAYS BE FREE BECAUSE THAT IS THE NATURE OF MY SPIRIT.

And moreover, I deeply enjoyed connecting with the cops who detained me. I allowed myself to be honest about my anger, frustration, and rage as tears flowed from my eyes. The tears I cry for a country that calls itself “the land of the free and the home of the brave” and yet detains people for claiming that very right.

Today I exist with courage, knowing that I am blessed to have experienced what I did today. All of those feelings, no matter how uncomfortable. These feelings are what builds my internal strength, my ability to grow through WHATEVER may happen to me.

That internal knowing is what guides me in this world. Not the law, not fear, not mistrust of government or cops or anything else.

In this moment there is a still small voice whispering to me. It says: You are love. You are free. You are pure.”

Her boyfriend Brian James Lucas is also speaking out. He also took to Facebook to share his thoughts.
“I could tell that whoever called on us (including the officers), saw a tatted RAWKer white boy and a hot bootie shorted black girl and thought we were a HO (prostitute) & a TRICK (client). This is something that happened to her and her father when she was 16. What an assumption to make!!!”

A 29-second video has also hit the web. Daniele can be heard saying, “You pushed me against the wall. I put my hands behind my back and I just stood there.”

1. lumdy

September 15, 2014 at 1:49 am

i see racism here and makes me thank God am not An African American,Coz they are regarded as 3rd class citizens ,here in Nigeria am a First Class Citzen,i Own this Country.

• ade

September 15, 2014 at 9:25 am

Yes there is racism everywhere but the racism amongst black men is the most alarming! You cant say you are treated as a first class citizen in Nigeria when you see how we Nigerians treat the whites when they are here! they are the real first class citizens even here! watch how securities open doors and gates for whites compared to black, watch how whites r asked no questions or searched at necessary points but all black are searched! I went to a radisson blu at VI and the white girl drove in with no issues yet they kept asking me questions in my car like i was a prostitute cos I was alone! Went for an oil companies party as my father works there and they checked all IVs except those of the whites! One of the white workers asked why the Nigerians are so nice to them but not to themselves! The whites in companies here get paid very heavily with apartments in exotic places but not the blacks, our fees cannot be measured with theirs for the same work! We dont want them to call us Niggas but we call our selves Nigga…….. I could go on and on but we definitely do not treat ourselves equally too

• Aragon

September 15, 2014 at 10:47 am

When I write here about why I hate Nigeria and why I LOVE Biafra and pray it comes, it is because Nigeria is IRREPARABLY damaged.
      Apart frm all the corruption, the worst injustice the country is doing to themselves is selling their economy on wholesale to foriegners. They literally worship anything that is light-skinned. Even Bangladeshis,, Srilankans and all Arabs are worshipped in Nigeria.
      A kazakh fella I met on a trip abroad asked me what I thought about him moving to Nigeria to save his broke and drowning a*s, I told him to go as quickly as possible cos so far as he is light skinned, he is sure to make it in Nigeria. I told him the country is swimming in ignorance and that absolutely works to his favour.
      I hate the word and the place called Nigeria cos it stands for all things unjust, evil and overwhelmingly ignorant. I pray and am working for Biafra to come today so that we can build a nation from scratch.Nigeria needs to be cast into the dustbin of history.
      BTW, the person who calls herself 1st class citizen in Nigeria is delluded. She is third class or more especially after the foreigners, the government people and of course the armed thugs -police n army, etc.

• Amazing

September 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Well said Ade, i work in an oil company, and this morning my boss who is white cursed every one who is dark skinned just because he refused to follow instructions on the ebola screening. Like you said, the white guys in my company live in exoctic mansions, go around wth police escorts and live like kings while we are paid peanuts. It isn’t their fault that they are like this but, i think our government have enslaved us to them because they don’t check these loopholes. It’s a shame though.

• ak

September 15, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Aragon please go and sit down somewhere.

We don’t want Biafra

Na by force?

• UgoBabeeeee

September 16, 2014 at 9:17 pm

@Aaragon-
      You and those with your mentality are some of the reasons Nigeria is not moving forward. Quick to open their mouth and wash their laundry in public…i really detest your types.

2. gee

September 15, 2014 at 1:56 am

Oh boy! Smh

3. nene

September 15, 2014 at 5:02 am

this is truly sad, and the news reports state that it was someone who called the police on them. a lot of black women in LA sleep with white men, some for free, so the stereotype is there. No offence to the lady, but she did look very unkempt and her husband too, i would’ve thought she was a prostitute and he was her pimp or something. then again the LAPD and NYPD are not known for being nice guys, and most of them are racist regardless of the diversity amongst the department.

• Mrs BBB

September 15, 2014 at 7:41 am

Ive not seen you, but you look like a prostitute regardless of how you look to me. How about that for stereotyping? and your words “No offense”.

• nene

September 15, 2014 at 3:14 pm

that’s your problem

4. teflondray

September 15, 2014 at 7:23 am

apparently, its a whole lots of new and diversified ways of molesting and racism against African American citizens especially by the so called security apparatus in America” you still live in spunged age if think America is still a land of freedom. only immunity made them spare president Obama of those bullshits.

5. Mrs BBB

September 15, 2014 at 7:41 am

*in your words

6. sydney

September 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

SMH

7. Mama mia

September 15, 2014 at 10:24 am

These things happen everywhere. wasn’t Kemi Adetiba refused entry into a Nigerian restaurant cause she was a single female? Blacks are honestly insecure I saw snoop dog dressed as white and none said a word but Julianne Hough dresses like her favorite character in Orange is the new black and is world war 1 all over again. The real truth is blacks are their own problems I was watching a medical reality show on TV and 90% of the blacks cases were all gunshot wounds. why? The white’s on the hand suffered real issues like kidney problems, head trauma, road accidents etc .

• sydney

September 15, 2014 at 11:35 am

are you high?

• Mama mia

September 15, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Nope. Are you?

• ak

September 16, 2014 at 1:37 pm

She is worse than HIGH

She is in Rep. Obahaigbon’s voice “a slogothelaks brougagaga lestyho”

“Blacks are honestly insecure”

” The real truth is blacks are their own problems I was watching a medical reality show on TV and 90% of the blacks cases were all gunshot wounds. why? The white’s on the hand suffered real issues like kidney problems, head trauma, road accidents etc .”

Are you mentally challenged?

Did you ever hear about Apartheid and Slavery?
      Did you ever hear about a systemic mental, physical, economic, financial and social degradation and deprivation of the Black race for over 200 years by the White race?

Blacks are insecure? Are you freaking kidding me?

MLK will turn in his grave,
      Madiba will come out and shoot you

” 90% of the blacks cases were all gunshot wounds. ” – Is this a joke? Are you black? WHen you go to the hospital, did you get treated for gunshot wounds? What about your friends and family? Were they treated for gunshot wounds.

My dear, YOU are the insecure one. Too eager to jump to your master- the White man and please him.

Read about your history. That is what got us colonized.

Msscheww

8. nyinyes

September 15, 2014 at 11:03 am

This is racism in HD.

9. sydney

September 15, 2014 at 11:45 am

@Aragon: If you don’t like our great Nation, get the [email protected]!*&? out of it, denounce it and never ever EVER you call yourself Nigerian or associate yourself with us EVER again. I don’t know you but I honestly hate people with your mentality. Here we are as patriots trying to better our fatherland and then we have some clowns out there that want to continually remind us of the shame of our past. We are united, get used to it or go jump off Kilimanjaro. And how will a separated Biafra solve anything? Don’t you know that there is strength in unity??? Get your head out of your ass and until you have a certified cure for Ebola, a solution for Boko Haram or any other constructive thing to add to the betterment of our great land, I suggest you shut your trap and stop propagating hate and intolerance in our land.

BN: I Know I sound rude as hell but I’m entitled to my freedom of opinion, speech and expression so abeg make una post my comment o. 🙂

• Aragon

September 15, 2014 at 1:10 pm

LOL. I can’t stop laughing here. ‘Unity’, ‘fatherland’,’patriots’, etc; really? Those are your words. Look again at those words and think if any of them applies to Nigeria. BTW, who created this ‘country’ of yours? His name was Frederick Lugard – a scotish man and the name came from his girlfriend. Who and who amongst the indegenous people of the land currently called Nigeria came together and agreed to form a union? Why are we so starkly different in value systems and cultures? Why is sharia happily practiced n the north but not in the EAST? Why are 9 yr olds married off with glee in the North but not so in the south? Why are igbos accused of ‘liking money’ when they open a shop and yet have never looted Nigeria on a massive scale like the other tribes have done? Why is there a place specifically meant for fraud and forgery in Yorubaland called OLUWOLE while nothing of that such is found anywhere else? When any Igbo or Biafran person dies in Lagos or Abj or any other place apart from Biafraland, their corpses will be taken back to their ‘homeland’. Why do you think it is so? What ‘unity’, ‘fatherland’ and ‘patriotism’ are you talking about?
      For one who is apparently educated, you sound very vacuous. I respect everyone who is working for the total dismantling of this contraption and worry very much for those of you who say you are educated but can’t think.
      Chukwu nyelu gi aka.

• ak

September 15, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Aragon, The answer is simple. Because our fathers and fore-fathers, were not as Visionary as The Balewa’s, Soyinka’s and Azikiwe’s

I advise you to take a seat.

Nigerians of our generation- The Millenials- are more united than ever, and will continue to be united. We are fighting for our rights, we know our worth, we marry inter-tribally and more, we are found every not only marrying inter-tribally but also inter-racially.

We are educated, we have values, we have the power and freedom that Western Education provides.

Our parent know that we are the future. Look around you, most of us are sent abroad, not just because of a prospect of a better life, but also in the hope that we will continue to work to better our nation/homeland.

We are willing to fight for our country and develop it- as is evidenced all over Social Media

Our time is coming.

In the future Aragon, people like you will do well to migrate to Sudan.

You will surely eat your words.
      Big head

• ak

September 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

excuse my typo’s- I know one English teacher will feel the compulsion to correct them

• Olanne

September 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm

APPLAUSE!!! You are well read, smart and articulate!!! APPLAUSE!!! As for Ugobabe writing about washing our dirty laundry in public, makes me laugh in Igbo! You deluded souls! Praising Nigeria for what exactly? Nigeria is a BASTARD nation! If you like agree or not, it is a BASTARD nation with BASTARD leaders!

10. sum1special

September 15, 2014 at 11:51 am

Rasicm has got to stop.

11. Blue

September 15, 2014 at 1:35 pm

@ Aragon.. guy, take a chill pill.. I was actually reading on (not necessarily agreeing with you). but I strongly disagree with you on a lot of points you raised. I wont meddle in the discussion between you and Sydney, but I think you should get your facts very right, if you have to give those examples up there.

12. looters

September 15, 2014 at 2:01 pm

It’s always good to look at both sides. The audio of this video BN posted isn’t the best. Just listened to the audio on CNN right now, actually watching the couple being interviewed right now on CNN. According to the audio, the police officer simply asked her to show an ID because there was a report from someone. As an officer, he has the right to ask for an ID if he has received a 911 call. The girl started playing the race card. The officer was like its just an ID and he will be on his way. That officer asked nicely as any officer of the law would. The girl just kept on dragging it.

Racism exists all right, more often than it should and with the kind of unfortunate history us blacks have with the whites, it is understandable to conclude on ‘racist act’ when an incident involves both races. However, as intelligent humans as we have been created to be, we should always try to look at both sides and get to the bottom of issues instead of blindly consuming a reported news.

• No wonder

September 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I wonder o. Any small thing racism, shuo!!!!!! Na wa o. I just came to the USA recently for a work program and I can authoritatively say that African Americans are messed up in the head mehn. And it is because of the bloody Europeans who deemed it fit to transport humans to another part of the world all in a system called slavery in order to make cash. This slavery shit messed up their heads because even when officers are just doing their job, they term it racism.

In Nigeria, some particular tribes are known for some certain things and if you belong to that tribe, you will be subjected to such treatments. It is a human thing and not peculiar to any race. I remember when boko haram just started and I boarded a bus in Lagos where there was an hausa guy with long beards and kaftan, mehn I came down at the next stop sharp sharp. I no fit shout and if I was an official and I happened to screen him, I would have questioned the shit out of him. Call me uneducated or tribalist, I don’t care. If I were white and work as an immigration officer, be sure that I will grill every Black person and Africans especially because I am sorry to say, we are not yet there financially and for now, we go to countries and commit all sorts of crimes. In all my life of travelling, I have been grilled sometimes and I understand them.

Imagine that Michael guy arguing and even fighting with police officer, if na Nigeria, e for don die since. Who born you to argue with a uniform officer? Even LASTMA when no dey carry gun, we no fit argue with them at all and we are all Blacks. Some things are not meant to be said. If Police stop you, stop, and give them anything they want. Period! I rest my case.

• ak

September 15, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Mr No Wonder: The law is not meant to intimidate.

It is meant to protect.

There is also the phrase ” Absolute power corrupts absolutely”

Thank god You are not a leader, because between you and Abacha, i no know who go worst.

• MC

September 16, 2014 at 10:58 am

WOW! JUST WOW!

• UgoBabeeeee

September 16, 2014 at 9:22 pm

i can authoritatively say you are a fool……you can not authoriatively say that AA’s are messed up in the head- how can you make such a blanket statement? about your fellow black, nonetheless….you think you are better than them? Well You are not.

As a visitor who are you to mock those who complain about racism. Am sure you are one of those white is right worshipers and will never see anything wrong done by oyibo….even if they smack you in the face as long as its done by oyibo…must be a reason…… Go back to national stadium and take plenty seats……

• Olanne

September 16, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Let me get this straight, ask yourself a very important question: Why would any officer ask a citizen for her ID? I live here in California, no bloody officer has the right to walk up to me as long as i am not doing anything wrong and ask for my ID. Like why? Knowing the history of the LAPD of course as a black person you will feel targeted. Stop trying to sound all political correct and such. Do you realize how white washed the area is? I believe that has to be studio city in the valley. There are some areas here in California you can feel how visibly different you are. I don’t care how they try to sell SoCal (particularly LA) to some of you guys, some LAPD officers are still bloody racists. So, why on earth will she not get pissed when randomly she is asked for her ID? Like are you guys serious? Are you kidding me? Please biko, i understand her anger when it comes to that, no matter how “nicely” the officer asked, his intentions were clouded with racism. Asking “nicely” does not remove the fact that the officer targeted her as a black woman, it does not remove the fact that she has the right to feel targeted. Asking “nicely”? oh lord! Tell that to black folks who are stopped and frisked in NY, how “nicely” they are asked. Story for the gods!

13. Naveah

September 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Aragon,
    If Biafra does come to be, are you Biafrans going to import angels to come and run it? No be the same Nigerians go dey run tingz except under a different moniker? Abeg, let’s quiet the noise about Biafra. Fight to change what is wrong in Nigeria instead of hoping that secession is going make a difference when the disease is deep in the core. This is like a woman having breast cancer but instead of treating it, she decides she wants to get a breast augmentation instead…probably not the best analogy but at the end of the day what I am trying to say is becoming a new country will not stop the deep seated issues in Nigeria from continuing. See Congo, see Sudan…what has changed in both those places that decided to split up? SAME BS!

• Olanne

September 16, 2014 at 10:04 pm

See North Korea and South Korea. See Pakistan and India. Oya! Make we start to name countries na. See Swaziland, Lesotho and South Africa. Don’t think for a minute you can throw some countries and leave others out. Maybe it will not stop, but it will also have us as an independent nation where our own history will not be erased from the so called “nigerian history” and at least we can start from there. I understand why someone would want Biafra, i mean take a look at the bastard nation of Nigeria.