News

Idris Elba is Oh So Dreamy for Rolling Out Mag, Speaks on Fatherhood & Why He Doesn’t Pray

BellaNaija.com

Idris Elba on Rolling Out Magazine - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01
Okay, Idris Elba, you have to calm down on looking so picture perfect, it is not fair.

The handsome actor who stars alongside Taraji P. Henson in No Good Deed, is the cover star for Rolling Out Magazine‘s new issue.

Flashing his white pearls as he sits on a wooden chair in a T-shirt, denim and white sneakers, the man candy spills on being a father, his role in the thriller and keeping everything balanced.

On fatherhood: “I love, love children. I love being a dad; it’s one of the joys of life. In fact, you can take it all away from me tomorrow, but don’t take away my children. That little young girl [Mirage] was such a great little actress. She was also great to work with.”

On the perception he wants his kids to have of him: “I just hope my children grow up saying my dad was my good friend and supporter…I was fair and just, helped them whenever they needed me to. And, that there was love. One thing I am very aware is that I love them and I love to embrace my children. My children know what it is to have a hug and a kiss, be cuddled and feel comfortable. My parents were not cuddlers or kissers, but I am.”

Idris Elba on Rolling Out Magazine on BellaNaija.com 02

On how he stays balanced? Does he pray or meditate: “I don’t pray. I don’t meditate. I do a lot of deep breathing whenever I get five or 10 minutes. It’s something great about oxygenating your body. It is a real good thing to do in moments of stress, weakness, tiredness…if you give yourself a little oxygen, fill your lungs to capacity and do it eight times, three to four times a day, it really helps. I am a multitasker. In my 24-hour day I am working 19. I get three to four hours of sleep, wake up and then I go again. I rejuvenate by drinking lots of water and doing my breathing exercises.”

To read the full interview, click here

Credits
Interview: Yvette Caslin
Photography: Kawai Matthews

1. Joan85

September 15, 2014 at 1:07 am

Lol so y’all still crushing on him or nah? 🙂

• Leah

September 15, 2014 at 1:48 am

I am “still” crushing on him, any reason not to?

• Ada

September 15, 2014 at 7:13 am

Buahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaa

Mr Elba diaris God o!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha!!!

2. lumdy

September 15, 2014 at 1:42 am

his really a cute guy..

3. ba

September 15, 2014 at 5:31 am

So fine, so darn fine

4. ba

September 15, 2014 at 5:31 am

yes because crush yato si life partner

5. tt

September 15, 2014 at 5:34 am

U dont pray?
    goodluck to you, you fool
    Do you know how blessed you are as a foreigner in america and black, yo always be getting jobs on. The regular while ya counterparts who are even Americans sit on the side bench

I know he cute but I don’t care for him.

Stupid idiot

• sunshine

September 15, 2014 at 10:01 am

How about you pray to God that he releases you from all the bitterness you have towards someone who is not even aware that you exist? Self-righteous Panadol drinker.

• jhennique

September 15, 2014 at 10:31 am

Lmao. Nice one sunshine! damn! just look at all that hate? LOL

• AK

September 15, 2014 at 2:00 pm

And whose fault is it that there are no jobs in your country?

Abeg, go sidon somewhere.

Religion has always been an avenue for the lazy minded people to “pray” rather than “Act”

6. bruno

September 15, 2014 at 5:48 am

D.I.L.F, Dad I Love to F…K, he is looking old tho, but he’s british,so that’s a huge plus.

7. ade

September 15, 2014 at 6:39 am

U play and not pray. What an irony.

8. If-i

September 15, 2014 at 9:52 am

Idriss oooo……….and i was considering marrying you!!..u don’t pray? no way boo

9. Bella

September 15, 2014 at 9:54 am

Well in these days of the devil and all things his worshippers, I pity him when he says he doesn’t pray, I don’t know how he came to have his fame and all, but poverty (or rather lacking something good for most people will always bring you to give thanks to God) as most actors etc start! . That said, I am not poor but I pray, I was raised by strong African Christians and I am very glad to know where i stand, to be with a man who blatantly says out he doesn’t pray well, good luck to him, I guess he knows what he is or who made him and where he is going. I am not judging but I would be uncomfortable to know and be involved with a man who doesn’t know there is a higher power than him out there. Yes he is fine o but he will age and get old, then what?

10. Mystique

September 15, 2014 at 10:27 am

you don’t pray? not happy about that but you’re still my man. with that look, can’t stay mad at you……….love you bae

11. jhennique

September 15, 2014 at 10:33 am

Awww. Idris my Crush forever. im a bit dissapointed that he dont pray tho and bringing up kids that way too? but then……whatever rocks his boat. hez not my husband 🙂

12. bruno

September 15, 2014 at 11:13 am

Some of u are so stupid, why should he pray, he isn’t brain washed like you people, rubbish pastor worshippers. It will take 500 years to eliminate religion and religious thinkings in nigeria.

• India

September 15, 2014 at 11:38 am

Dear Bruno

I don’t think there is a need to eliminate religion. But there’s definitely a need to eliminate self righteous attitudes of people who think because they pray they are better than others. I pray everyday but that doesn’t make me better than my atheist friends. They choose to live their life differently. God gave us free will. My God is a loving God who loves all of his children. I don’t ascribe human proclivities to God. There’s way too much judging and way to little introspection in Nigeria

• funbaby

September 15, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Bruno Bruno you make me laugh all the time, keep being you jare!!!!

13. AVID BLOG READER

September 15, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Faith is personal. To each his own.

14. Bewa

September 18, 2014 at 12:40 am

But the headline states “why he doesn’t pray” Bella naija, so where is the why nau. He only said he doesn’t pray. He gave us no reason Please stop with the misleading titles. Thank you