News

Enugu State First Lady makes Dramatic U-Turn | Apologizes to Husband & Enugu State Women

Clara and Sullivan ChimeOne of the biggest news stories of 2013 was the curious case of Clara Chime, the First Lady of Enugu State. The wife of Governor Sullivan Chime went public with her marital issues, depression and alleged maltreatment by her husband.

She gave an exclusive interview to Channels Television (Watch Below) and also released a press statement via Sahara Reporters. At the time, the public was shocked by her very different appearance as well as the content of the interview and letter.

Now, the First Lady has taken a new perspective. This weekend, she told Daily Sun that she was willing to make the apology to her husband and all Enugu women, having reconsidered her actions which led to leave her marriage and the state last year.

Below is her letter as published by the Sun Newspaper. Click to read the full report on their site.

Her letter reads: “At the deepest of my thought emanated this truth, which I believe is worth to share with the nation because of the ongoing political movement in Enugu State in which my name is attached.

“At the point I wrote to Human Rights Commission and got linked to Falana & Falana Chambers to facilitate in grant­ing me right of freedom from the Enugu Governor’s Lodge, it was my personal decision because then, His Excellency Governor Sullivan Chime and a brother of mine were brain-washed by a psychiatrist who advised that I should be locked in and confided in an enclosure on the grounds that I was sick, which I’m yet to find out; and must see the end of it.

“The psychiatrist presented to the world that I was suffering from mental illness and till date, has refused to furnish H.E. Governor Sullivan with detailed report of his assumed illness assessment.

“My appearance on Channel TV was to debunk some awkward perceptions, and to be seen and heard by the public, which was triggered on the grounds that H.E. Governor Sullivan Chime permitted dehumanising plans that were targeted at me by his enemies.

“I hereby sincerely apologise and take back my words, leaving other things in the hands of God.

“My dearest Enugu women, like you all know, my teachings, right from the onset have been ‘making heaven a priority; and let the truth be told and accepted at all costs.’ Indeed, I plead with you all to for­give me if by chance I was misunderstood, especially going by the manner the media played out my exit. I still remain that your lovely daughter, teacher, wife and mother.

“I must confess that I miss you all, and please you all should acknowledge that my option of taking an exit then was divine, if you carefully listened to my last speech during my last outing in the state (Enugu) or I advise you renew your memory by getting a copy of my speech, then you will ascertain that it was my personal decision, which was divine from God to take an exit; only that enemies played up my exit like there were other motives they had.

“My dear Enugu women, as we all know, the Bible made us to understand that we must always pray for our leaders at all times!

Like I rightly said to you all three years ago, (during Governor Sullivan Chime second term election) that your votes are for H.E. Governor Sullivan Chime, a man who’s zeal and passion are to create good governance and instill virtues of good gov­ernance in his staff. I remember stressing that your votes weren’t meant for any of his staff rather to him, whom you all know his call for service was divine.

“I hereby state that you all shouldn’t mind the detractors who are using my name to gain cheap loyalty, popularity and distrust towards H.E. Governor Sullivan Chime. He still remains who I have always made you all to believe he was (a lovely God fearing good man!). Please, do not hesitate to ride on with him towards any direction he chooses to go.

“H.E. Governor Sullivan Chime still remains President Goodluck Jonathan’s loyal son and all thanks to Mr. President for believing in him till date. My sincere gratitude and loyalty go to the First Lady of Federal Republic of Nigeria, Her Excel­lency, Dame Patience Jonathan, for the new opportunity God used her to bestow upon me.

“The letter that was published by Sahara Reporters on November 5, 2013 didn’t emanate from me and can never emanate from me.

“Finally, please my family squabbles should be left between Gov Sullivan Ihe­anacho Chime and I, which we too have left in God’s hands. It must seize to be for public consumption. Thank you and God bless.”

1. mulikat

September 2, 2014 at 7:38 am

they told her to said this,or no more money for her and are kid,and she use to have good life with Enugu Govt.Money,in oversea she cant work as a ex.first lady,she need to say this ,if not no money in are acct,i will do same.

• Lois

September 3, 2014 at 9:11 pm

My sister, i will never do the same! As hard as it seems to start again as a first lady, that new beginning is the major milestone to take unto becoming a woman of her own and achieving success if one is not lazy and afraid. I was once faced with a major decision in life; to either take comfort nad confinment of freedom and some rough patches. I chose life. I often say to my man that if by chance or fate we seperate, i will never be afraid to start again even from the barest means so far i have God, my limbs and brains working perfectly. Money is not all, it can vanish anytime and its source sef can even dry-up. Remember, Gov. Sullivan once battled nasal cancer. Nobody is immune to death or lack except God says otherwise

2. BN lover

September 2, 2014 at 7:48 am

So in other words………we should support his political ambition by voting for him. Hmmmmmm, this life ehhhhhh…….things that some people do for money/fame/love etc.

3. yassbeetch

September 2, 2014 at 7:53 am

Msheewwwww

4. baboushka

September 2, 2014 at 7:58 am

She is either bipolar or has been paid some serious money to apologize or is being threatened with dire consequences if she doesn’t apologize

5. ATL's finest

September 2, 2014 at 8:06 am

At least she gave a proper speech, she spoke properly & I give her props for mentioning her size. Dang it I can’t recall when last most women mentioned their size or age. I’m wondering what’s up with these politicians??? I’m glad she’s definitely not putting up with his BS!!! This is thud sting time to have issues with his wife especially if he’s considering running for governorship again.

• ATL's finest

September 2, 2014 at 8:07 am

I meant *wrong time*

• Anon

September 2, 2014 at 11:00 am

He is on his second term so can’t run again.

6. kiki

September 2, 2014 at 8:10 am

Who cares………

7. Robin Hood

September 2, 2014 at 8:11 am

Nigerian women, – and money……………………………………………….an irresistible combination

8. toby

September 2, 2014 at 8:16 am

Oya let the comments roll in.

9. pearl

September 2, 2014 at 8:22 am

This woman is sick. You brought your family issues to the public. So take responsibility

• Nahum

September 2, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Thank you!!!! She brought it to the public and now she is telling us to leave them alone. LIKE WE CARE!!! Take your isht back to your bedroom and sort it out over there lady

10. oge

September 2, 2014 at 8:34 am

And you say you are not mentally ill………… Biko check yourself in before it is too late.

11. Uche

September 2, 2014 at 8:44 am

No comments

12. NIRA

September 2, 2014 at 8:44 am

Clara pls pls pls stop talking!!! Don’t apologise or grant interviews!!! I know you probably want to come back to your husband’s house and this might be the condition you were given, but we do not believe you. The psychiatrist had what to gain by making up lies about your mental state?? I was in Enugu at the time and we all knew you had psychological issues probably from depression at being a very powerless First Lady ( we know who the real female boss in Enugu State is). Pls just keep quiet, face your health, get well for your son, be happy. You were a happy and very beautiful young lady before you became the Governor’s wife. People will just make a mockery of you and you’ll end up sounding crazy if you keep this up. On another note, get someone to properly edit your letters pls. Get your spellings and grammar right before you send it to the public. I rest my case! I nwee nti, I nuru!!

• TO NIRA

September 2, 2014 at 10:11 am

SO NIRA, you want her not to go back to her husband? WILL YOU ALLOW HER TO COME AND SHARE YOUR OWN HUSBAND???

Probably, her money is finished…and she cannot bear her present state, and wants to go back to her old lifestyle – TO RAISE A CHILD AS A SINGLE MOTHER CANNOT BE TOO EASY!

What I am hearing is a woman who wants her old life of sycophants/luxury dwellings -shopping-cars-vacations/ multiple staff/ etc

ITS COLD OUT THERE*

• Anon

September 2, 2014 at 11:02 am

What will you say to the first wife?

• Ada

September 3, 2014 at 10:50 am

Nira! How sure and confident are you about the correctness of your own grammar? At least, courtesy demands that you lead and correct by example. Everybody makes mistake, she is not an exemption. Meanwhile, from what I observed from your comment, she is better than you. Reasonableness does not lie in just criticizing others but in criticizing wisely, logically, meticulously and among all when necessary. Do not get furious but a woman is not meant to say everything cause you may be better or worse off tomorrow. Thank you.

• Nwa Enugu

September 11, 2014 at 10:05 pm

That’s assuming she actually wrote this and not a hatchet job by her desperate husband and who is quickly lossing credibity in Enugu and Nigeria and is in dire need of some proops. Who better to give it than his estranged wife. Give me a break

13. viv

September 2, 2014 at 8:48 am

I tire oh, i dont understand what she’s saying

14. twenny

September 2, 2014 at 9:09 am

Hmmmmm that woman is under pressure, there is something about the above pix she took with her husband

15. i no send

September 2, 2014 at 9:11 am

This thing called OWU ….when it catches you ehn..Lol…very sad that abused women will never have justice with the clara chime”s of this world…im out

16. sum1special

September 2, 2014 at 9:37 am

i feel for her.

17. Tolu

September 2, 2014 at 9:41 am

Lady get some backbone!
    We can see through the BS so please stop the theatrics already…..Bottom line is, your husband was wrong for taking away your freedom, insanity or not! Hell, even in western countries, you need an Emergency Petition from a Judge, two certification forms from two licensed Physicians and a social worker before you can commit a person involuntarily. Your right was violated by your “Governor Husband” Ms Chime….and dare i say, sounds like a whole lot of abuse is going on in that relationship.

Taking back your story and apologizing now makes you look even more unstable than we thought. But then again, i kinda understand your plight, in a country where a woman’s achievement is measured by her marital status, i can see why you desperately want to remain married, albeit to a monster.

Emotional or Physical abuse is NEVER ok, Ms Chime, look out for yourself, (because clearly your family aren’t doing a good job with that if they let you put out a letter like this). Stand on your own two feet, and carve out a life your children will be proud of.

• Nahum

September 2, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Well put

18. Nwa

September 2, 2014 at 9:57 am

I always said that this lady will tire of her rantings and begin to miss being the state 1st lady. Whatever made her think she’d be relevant in her husbands personal and political decisions. I bet she thought she could wrap him around her waist not knowing that Sullivan is a strong man with a strong mind, she should take notes from his 1st wife. Clara you should do what runs ladies who marry men in power do, play loyal shut the hell up and nurse your kids and chop the money, instead you choose to make noise when you know he wouldn’t take your opinion seriously. Anty former 1st lady go find a job or bury yourself with some project and stay away from the media. Enugu gals with hot blood and tear tear eye haff take over…#sipping kunu with kuli kuli#

• Nwa Enugu

September 11, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Ouch!!!!

19. Nwa

September 2, 2014 at 10:02 am

Ohhh!! I forgot to add, Uncle LOOSE THE 1ST LADY WEIGHT…

20. ada

September 2, 2014 at 10:28 am

In as much as i don”t support divorce but when depression and other bad things pop up, please run as fast as you can! It is better to be single and raise your kids in peace than be in a marriage that will eventually cost you your life. This is a case of someone being pressured.

21. Douala

September 2, 2014 at 11:26 am

Chei, the grammar! Who proof-read this? Confusion between cease and seize, and other downright errors and mistakes. I could barely understand what she was trying to say

• ScarletXianne

September 2, 2014 at 11:44 am

She sounds unstable…this woman needs help.

22. yvonnelicious

September 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Mshewwwww, this woman is really nuts….she shld be checked into a rehab…..she don see say life nor easy outside and i sure say she nor fit cope…….This na typical product of greed…abeg make we hear word

23. Cherelle

September 2, 2014 at 12:42 pm

This Clara girl really has mental problem.ooo! what kind of cracy press release is this???smh!

24. Stella Kashmoney

September 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Interesting letter. Lol

25. adukeokin

September 2, 2014 at 1:42 pm

this lady is not depressed. she has bi-polar

26. nene

September 2, 2014 at 1:49 pm

is she bipolar? or has she run out of money

27. Tobenna

September 2, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Biko Nu Rapunu Nwayia aka, Make Una leave her alone.
    If she decides she wants to write letter of apology, its up to her.

28. Omy

September 2, 2014 at 6:00 pm

do you really believe this.???like seriously

29. Name

September 2, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I recall pity her. She must be going through a lot

30. benkid

September 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm

maybe she should go to channels Tv again with all these before she would start denying it just like the sahara reporters letter

31. ijebu boy

September 3, 2014 at 2:20 am

politics… gotta love it

32. Iris

September 3, 2014 at 3:49 am

So…essentially she’s trying to get votes for her husband. GTFOH. I’m so done with spineless, greedy women. In fact, he should kick her out and marry another side chick. Abi that’s how she entered State House. And what is it with Nigerians and pompous titles? “Honourable”, “Excellency” mtchew. Loyal son of GEJ indeed. Aren’t they age mates? Nigeria sickens me

33. ezinne

September 3, 2014 at 10:41 pm

*yawn* … even for those talking of rehab *wider yawn*

34. Onyii

September 4, 2014 at 11:23 am

So i have to agree. She really is mentally challenged to a very large extent. She is just blabbing at this interview. I pray God restores her back to her original state of mind. So sad.

35. Nwa Enugu

September 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm

how can she make a U-TURN when she abandoned everything and ran away from Enugu. If she wants to address Enugu wome, she should come to Enugu. Poor woman. Enugu woman pity you. Your husband is a wicked man and womanizer