News

Burkina Faso Crisis: President Resigns | Military Takes Over

burkina NEW

Following violent protests in Burkina Faso over President Blaise Compaore‘s attempt to extend his 27-year-rule, he has resigned, and the military has taken over the ruling of the country.

Compaore, announced his resignation via a statement read on television, BBC reports.

Here’s an excerpt:

“In order to preserve the democratic gains, as well as social peace, I declare a power vacuum to allow the establishment of a transition leading to free and fair elections within a maximum of 90 days. For my part, I think I have fulfilled my duty.”

Military Chief Honore Traore has taken over as head of state.

Photo Credit: BBC/AFP

1. Shadie

October 31, 2014 at 6:08 pm

The power of people to effect a change, I wonder if that will ever happen in this country.

2. bruno

October 31, 2014 at 6:12 pm

“you have fulfilled your duty” you rule a country for 27 bloody years and you feel fulfilled. many black people are not human beings at all.

3. omoibo

October 31, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Karma is a mutha! Blaise Campore betrayed his own very best friend Thomas Sankara that was bringing much needed change to Burkina Faso and challenged imperialism, he was overthrown & killed in the process.
    To all you African leaders, your day of atonement will come.

4. Busarni

October 31, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Confused moron; you have fulfilled your duty and yet you wanted an extension. Liar from the pit of He’ll.

5. ly

October 31, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Change is coming to Nigeria too pretty soon. I have heard politicians say that Nigerians are too poor and lazy to force change to happen. But I see change coming to our great country.

6. tunmi

October 31, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Hopefully the military rule quickly changes hand to a people elected government. U less the people voted for the military

7. mulikat

October 31, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Fulfilled is duty he said,not ashame to say that out,after pocketing money for 27yr,that black african man for u,only me ,no body else,he want to die in power b4,hwo i wish they kill him like samuel deo of liberia,afterall he kill ex president b4 he become leader and happen to be is close friend.

8. Tony

October 31, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Hahahaha. This is great. Times are changing. Power to the people. This is how it starts and the good wind would blow all through the continent and cleanse us from the vampires who call themselves rulers. Zimbabwe and Cameroon buckle up. Day of reckoning is by the corner. Let me drink wine. lillll

9. Jena

November 1, 2014 at 12:00 am

Hum i am on my way to Burkina Faso. There is vacancy for a First Lady position lol

• Iris

November 1, 2014 at 2:22 am

LMFAO!
      On another note, that didn’t take very long. The military has already insinuated itself. When people pray for a revolution in Nigeria, I take God beg you, please pray that the military will never take over – even for one hour. Because we know how that one will end. Look at Africa’s history. Look at Egypt now. Please oooo, complete your prayer when you pray

10. jirla

November 1, 2014 at 6:09 am

This is the best news all week ! I hope they get their transition right. Nigerians politicians be warned……

11. Kuka Zeba

November 1, 2014 at 11:15 am

I really happy for my people but let this be the new change we need not the worst one

12. Pachi

November 2, 2014 at 12:10 am

Lets see what the military are capable of

13. pear ice

November 3, 2014 at 8:17 am

This is a great news.i hope the people of cameroon see this as a charlenge and do the same thing to president paul biya ,who has been rulling for over 30 years.