News

Chris Okotie calls for Oritsejafor’s Resignation as CAN President over $9.3 Million Scandal

Chris Okotie

Head pastor of Household of God Church, Chris Okotie, has called for the resignation of the President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Ayo Oritsejafor, over the $9.3 million arms deal scandal, which his private jet was involved in.

He expressed his thoughts in a write-up on the Church’s Facebook page titled –  “$9.3M Scandal: Oritsejafor Should do the Right Thing.”

Here are excerpts:

The recent seizure by the South African authorities of $9.3m found in a private jet owned by Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, has aggravated the image problem of this country at a time when the narrative of this government is brimming with negatives under the leadership of President Goodluck Jonathan.

The South African government took the action on the alleged charge that the undeclared $9.3m found in the plane might have been laundered. This revelation came when the dust generated by the seemingly dubious donation of the jet to Pastor Ayo is yet to settle. His friendship with the President has been at the centre of the controversies that mark his explosive tenure as the leader of the eponymous religious organization in Nigeria.

Not that it is a sin to be the President’s Pal, but when such relationship becomes provocatively patronizing, or self-serving, it is unacceptable. The Pastor does not show restraint in the way he goes about, publicly hobnobbing with the President as if he is the Chaplain of Aso Rock. This certainly has compromised the integrity of his office as CAN President and this latest incident is just the climax of embarrassing incidents we can’t tolerate any longer.

Considering the collateral damage Pastor Ayo’s close relationship with the President has done to the Christian community, it is fit and proper for the Pastor to resign immediately as CAN President to salvage what remains of the battered image of the association.

This is without prejudice to the on-going investigation on the matter. Denials of his culpability by the Federal Government, CAN officials and his own recent defense, does nothing to reduce the moral burden this whole saga places on his shoulders. As the titular leader of Christians in Nigeria, there’s now a serious crisis of confidence on his leadership and he ought to respond to it by resigning from his exalted position.

Read the whole article on Facebook

1. ChelizRuby.

October 10, 2014 at 7:30 pm

This is getting serious o!
    theshapecube.blogspot.com

2. Chukwuma

October 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Check the write up very well (it is a sin to . . .) or (it is not a sin to . . .).
    God save the religion that a religious, Jewish Rabbi, Jesus used his own life to plant. Investigations by CIDs should not stop Intercessions by CHRISTIAN faithfuls.
    God bless Nigeria.

3. Mystique

October 10, 2014 at 7:38 pm

The proverbial ‘pot and kettle’ situation……….Don’t know why people in glass houses are always the first to throw stones.. I don’t have the habit of talking bad about men of God but there’s a lot in this man’s life to make ‘sensational’ headlines. Mr Pastor sir, pls give it a rest. haba. You are as controversial as the man you’re castigating.

4. Kina

October 10, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Yep, totally agree. Forgive me for been even more controversial than Bboy xris but I think babangida would be better placed on that throne.

5. ak

October 10, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Pot calling Kettle black, #Yimu

6. A.K

October 10, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Hahahahahahahahahaha

• A.K

October 11, 2014 at 11:47 am

This made me laugh so hard that my iPad almost fell off my hands. This man is a joker! Sounds like an angry, bitter, confused, jealous man. Politics things….. shame!!!

7. @edDREAMZ

October 10, 2014 at 8:37 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    I never supported this man’s rule frm the scratch and is ryt abeg, he should just resign….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. mico

October 10, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Are you kidding me.. Nigerian doesn’t resign.. It is against our understanding.. He will only decamp…from CAN to PDP… Though there has been flirting

• amx

October 11, 2014 at 5:23 am

@mico ur really funny abt saying Nigerians don’t resign…but dats d truth

9. deb

October 10, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Lol. Okotieee baba, kettle calling pot black, maybe because the kettle is an electrical kettle or always placed on a gas cooker with the blue flame so we won’t see it is black as well…

10. bruno

October 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

This is game of thrones, naija version, this pastors are all the same, so shameless and disgraceful, look at the kind of things they are doing and an idiot will open his/her mouth to say “touch not my anointed, blah blah, blah” mumus. Nigerians if you keep giving them ur entire salary, u are not giving to god, you are giving to them, that money is going to their bank accounts.

11. Joy

October 10, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Hmmmm, God pls I wanna obtain permission from you before I say something concerning your so called son, Pastor Chris, this is just a kettle calling pot black, if there are people to say something concerning this scandal, obviously not pastor chris Okotie, gosh!

12. Hadassah

October 10, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Let him who has no sin be the first to cast a stone Mr. “Divorce Vashti and marry Esther”

13. RICHIE

October 11, 2014 at 3:42 am

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WHAT HAS A PASTOR GOUGHT TO DO WITH BUYING OF ARMS

14. suwa

October 11, 2014 at 4:39 am

POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK! shut d hell up Okotie! If other pastors are or talking, you cant open your mouth! uh huh uh hun!

15. chy

October 11, 2014 at 7:49 am

for the sake of God i will try not to insult an anointed man of God, but Okotie comes off as a whiner looking to drum up support for his political ambitions when the time is near by throwing another man under the bus. he uses every opportunity he can get to push himself forward and others down. The man has so many unanswered questions about his character to openly throw aspersions on any other man of God and we are not buying it. He is very intelligent and charismatic whom i presumed would do great at the presidential office at the beginning of his elective ambition but i don’t have such respect and admiration for him anymore and wish for him to take a fat seat somewhere and leave sleeping dog lie.

i don’t know the transaction between Oritsejafor and the FG but i am sure that it is possible that when men of certain financial degree and official responsibilities make certain decision or decisions are made on their behalf they are not even aware of it until it had taken place. the transaction may have been done and Oritsejafor was intimated on it later. granted its not excusable its still possible. if Okotie wants a private jet he should order one if he cant, he should wait his turn.
    am done.

• bruno

October 11, 2014 at 10:19 am

@chy, pls explain to us what the meaning of anointed man of god, who anointed this men, is it jesus that came down to anoint them. Nigerians pastors are fraudulent scammers who take and take, they don’t even pay tax, so how are the contributing to the development of this country.

• T.

October 11, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Chy, I disagree with your comments and that of many others in this thread. Whilst Okotie may have his own controversies, it does not take away his right to have an opinion on Oritsejafor’s predicament. After all, all of us on this platform have our own flaws and yet are making comments/casting stones at these people too!
      Anyway, straight to the reason I chose to reply your comment. You say “when men of certain financial degree and official responsibilities make certain decision or decisions are made on their behalf they are not even aware of it until it had taken place”
      I personally think that’s UTTERLY wrong! Any man or woman of integrity and standing, no matter how highly placed, or whatever, SHOULD MAKE IT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK WHATEVER THEIR NAMES ARE PENNED TO! Why? If anything goes wrong, they’re the ones who will take the fall, not the subordinate that penned their name as we see in this case. If you have a GOOD name and you value your NAME at all, you will rather take the pain to know what you’re signing up for NOW, rather than take the fall your your carelessness LATER,
      A similar scenario played out in South Korea where Pastor Yonggi Cho is currently being held in prison for crimes such as tax evasion and mainly misappropriation of funds. As he admitted, ‘he did not realise his son was using the church’s funds for personal business”. In the simplest of terms, Yonggi Cho was punished because as the overseer of the church, the South Korean government expected him to know what ALL (not some) of the movements of church’s monies (especially as his name was signed in the documents). His defense that he trusted his son and subordinates wast sadly not enough!
      First of all, the FG has no reason to use a private jet for whatever ‘transaction it claims the $9.3m was for. the FG has its own fleet of jets and if it were a responsible government with nothing to hide, they did not need to use Oritsejafor’s jet in the first instance.
      Seccond, that Oritsejafor now released his jet for such questionable transaction is even more worrisome! And I would rather not even talk on that point alone.
      Reading this article, I personally blocked my mind from what I felt about Okotie so I could be as objective as possible. I must say Okotie’s points are very right and valid. Though, I’m in no position to condemn anyone, Oritsejafor’s romance with the government and showiness has done more harm than good to CAN. Even non-Christians that I know often joke to me that he’s a pop-star. I don’t think that is a good thing.
      Sigh, I better stop here. I have written more than I intended to and I would rather not begin to go off point…Cheers!

• me oh

October 11, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Apt!

• mrs chidukane

October 12, 2014 at 9:06 am

@T you just said it all. In fact this saga made me realize why my church refused to join CAN. I thought it was arrogance but who wants to be a part of such nonsense?

• Zubby

October 12, 2014 at 5:08 am

by calling any obvious dubious character anointed don’t you think you are bearing false witness against your god and therefore guilty of blasphemy. Why o why do pious people make it soooooooo easy for satan. So any person calling himself a pastor is automatically a man of God. Have you ever read the warnings in the bible about false prophets. Please use common sense in all matters, not just in were you put your valuables, becos I am sure you use your common sense for those small matters of life.

16. yuht

October 11, 2014 at 8:31 am

they are now eyeing the CAN presidency after seeing how Oritsejafor added swag/style to the post… ! the old mans’ game is at its peak right now.

17. Binta

October 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm

T! Best comment on this thread so far! take the messenger out and focus on the message. I personally have my doubts about okotie, but I totally agree with him on this one. Besides, the man has a right to his opinions.

18. Zubby

October 11, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Personally I agree with kina. I would vote the devil I know babangida onto that post before I cast half a vote for any of these suspicious Angels of light.

19. hilly

October 11, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no one is perfect ooooo. PCO shouldn’t be the one to judge at all.