News

“I went into drug trafficking to pay for my wedding” – Nigerian Man tells NDLEA

Pauline

Chike Pauline

The pressure to have a big, flamboyant wedding has landed a Nigerian man in big trouble.

Chike Pauline, 40, was arrested at Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) in Lagos, after being caught with one kilogramme of substance suspected to be methamphetamine, Vanguard reports. He was apprehended during the outward screening of passengers on a Rwanda Air flight.

During preliminary investigations, Pauline told National Drug Law Agency (NDLEA) officials that he had been lured into drug trafficking because of his desperation to raise money for his wedding coming up in December this year.
“I am a patent medicine dealer in Aba, Abia State. My arrest is very unfortunate because I am a hardworking person. I was deceived into drug trafficking because I was desperate to perform my marriage ceremony by the end of the year. I was optimistic that I will not be arrested, but things did not go according to my expectation. What must I do to set myself free from this predicament?” he said.
He reportedly begged the officials not to imprison him, as he still intends to conduct his wedding in December.
The case is currently under investigation.

1. Lilo

October 22, 2014 at 8:07 am

The dowry from that side alone can push the common man to go and rob a bank. Lol. While he spends time in jail, His in-laws will still give their daughter to the one who peddled drugs successfully . Survival of the fittest

• Iya

October 22, 2014 at 8:50 am

Unfortunately true….:-(

2. bruno

October 22, 2014 at 8:08 am

you are dillusional. some prison time will wake ur stupid mind up.

• stephanie-feld

October 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm

It is ‘Delusional’ not dillusional.

3. Grown Woman

October 22, 2014 at 8:28 am

Chai BN see the pressure your causing with all these extravaganza weddings lol just kiddin.The hussle of weddings these days is just something else.Please people, don’t pressurise yourselves to having a wedding outside your budget.But obviously the reality of things is these days we focus more on the wedding and not the marriage itself.

• TA

October 22, 2014 at 1:13 pm

@ Grown Woman, Lmao! hehehehe. 🙂 BN be putting up pictures of ultra-expensive weddings, what’s a guy to do jor. Lol! Seriously though, was that really the reason the guy gave for drug trafficking?!

• Idomagirl

October 22, 2014 at 4:59 pm

BN is not the problem here! Some tribes put outrageous prices on their daughters’ heads! Let them just take their fiance to see their people and see the list they will give him – amounting to millions of naira. I watched a naija movie last week in the salon, I think it was After The Proposal, starring Uche Jombo – the list they gave the guy totaled up to 2.4m!

In the salon two girls were saying, “if he cannot afford it, why does he want to marry? He cannot get his wife for free”. I just weak. So this one no be BN, na inlaws and so called ‘tradition’.

4. leeleo

October 22, 2014 at 8:33 am

Story for the gods!

5. queenbee

October 22, 2014 at 8:37 am

Nigerians hv to take it easy on this flamboyant wedding pressure o haba kilode gan…………@ Bruno it’s delusional not dilussional

• bruno

October 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm

@queenbe.im sure u got a D7 in english during waec. monkey.

• Pat

November 25, 2014 at 8:33 am

@BRUNO queenbe only just corrected you and I don’t see what is wrong with that. if u needed to comment back u should have just said thanks. no one is above mistake. this does not warrant sarcasm or insults abeg chill!

6. kindly follow back

October 22, 2014 at 8:39 am

I support you @ lilo nd bruno yea dats correct make she go marry for prison

7. wisest duchess

October 22, 2014 at 8:55 am

Hmm…and he just had to be from the east..my two cents are he might also be getting married to an igbo girl.

8. UberChick

October 22, 2014 at 9:13 am

“Don’t do the crime If you can’t do the time”

9. meenah_adee

October 22, 2014 at 9:38 am

Like serzly we ve to take tins easy on dis flamboyant wedding, our pocket are different na. Wedding has turn to competition in Nigeria oga ooo

10. janetheo

October 22, 2014 at 9:44 am

This man is crazy,so whom is he trying to impressed?I suppose the young girl wouldn’t know what he does in addition to his medicine business hmmmmmm now the truth has unveil itself.

11. british/naija/ghana

October 22, 2014 at 9:59 am

……sorry, but this is too funny!

• TA

October 22, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Me too. God forgive me but I just found it so hilarious. Lol!

12. Bar Baric (@Bar_Baric)

October 22, 2014 at 10:00 am

There is something very very wrong with this man. Well, he should go and get married in jail! People don’t want to cut their coat by their cloth. I can’t even imagine the rubbish. I have friends who got married simply by signing a register in Ikoyi, and they’re still together, living their lives to the fullest.

What now happens to the fiancee? This is just nuts.

13. Sandra

October 22, 2014 at 10:21 am

Nigerians shld strt cutting their coat according 2 their material. So now he shld knw better.

14. kenny Jossy

October 22, 2014 at 10:49 am

Another Igbo man caught in the web of madness. 99% of this wanna be or die traffickers from nigeria, are Ibo why? @Bar Baric, answer to your question, some guy is cumin the fiancee right now.

15. jay

October 22, 2014 at 10:55 am

why not …see wht bella advertise every week on this website…as if u wake up n u organise them easily like that…

16. chica

October 22, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Fortunately, ghanaian weddings have some simplicity and class to it.. nigerians can be a bit over the top sometimes…. brides changing uncountable number of times. . Guests trying to outdo each other and e bride as well.. It can be pleasant to watch e photos on bn but damm e pressure..

• Iris

October 22, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I wouldn’t say it’s over the top. It’s a matter pf perspective. Nigerian cultures are somewhat flamboyant so it just translates into the weddings. You may find that Nigerians are just as confused by the simplicity of Ghanaian weddings. As for this guy’s story, I’m not surprised. On BN’s instagram page is a story about a girl who found out her boyfriend gave her an engagement ring with stones that weren’t real and it seemed to be more about the ring than the lie. Everybody looking for stones like they themselves own diamond mines – including the ones that are dating men that aren’t well-to-do. Where is he supposed to bring the money from? I’m not saying this guy isn’t at fault. I’m just saying pressure can come from the one person who should be understanding.

17. KIMMY

October 22, 2014 at 5:29 pm

i donbilivit he’s just using the wedding as an excuse