News

UK-based Nigerian Mother Pleas for Help as Daughter is allegedly Kidnapped by Grandma

Abduction BellaNaija

A concerned mother’s plea for help has gone viral.

The UK-based woman is alleging that her child’s paternal grandmother, Annette Ehiemere, kidnapped her daughter named Liya and took her to Nigeria.

She posted the photo above on Instagram, along with the caption:

“Yesterday, my daughter’s paternal grandmother kidnapped my daughter while I was in Uni and took her to Nigeria without my consent. There are speculations that she might still be in the UK but I have also gotten information that she is in Nigeria. If you hear or see anything or see my daughter, please call the police or inbox me.”

Here’s the background story on the situation, as reported by YNaija:

Temmy  who lives in London, had gotten pregnant in 2012, for a man she was in a relationship with. However, when he found out she was pregnant, he revealed that he didn’t want the baby. But she decided to have the baby and take care of her as a single parent. The man is based Port Harcourt.

Liya’s grandmother had gone to the UK to visit Temmy and her daughter, and had been staying with them for about 5 months. A few days ago, when Temmy came back home from attending classes at her university, she discovered that Liya and her grandmom had disappeared.

It was later discovered that the Annette took Liya and boarded a flight to Nigeria from London.

It is suspected that the grandmom may have taken the child to her father in Port Harcourt, as that is where she also resides.

“I feel like this a bad dream and I am going to wake up soon. I see these things in movies and never thought it could so easily happen to me because I was stupid enough to trust someone who I thought being my daughter’s grandma was automatically family. I can’t survive without my baby. She has never even travelled without me to another town in England here, talk less of another country

I am never one to put my business out there because I have always felt like I was strong enough to handle anything that life throws at me because I had Liya to keep me going, now my baby is gone and I am weaker than I have ever been in my life, that’s why I need you to help me raise awareness or get someone to help me. I don’t mind getting Liya back and then going through custody battles with them the right way but the way they took her was so wrong. I miss my baby so much and I need help,” said Temmy.

Grandma BellaNaija

Grandma – Annette Ehiemere

Here are some more photos Temmy posted on her social media:

Kidnapped girl BellaNaija

kidnapped girl 2 BellaNaija

Kidnapped girl 3 BellaNaija

She also posted this video a few hours ago, promising she is trying her best to reconcile with her daughter soon.

I miss you munchkin… I am so sorry this had to happen, even if they v taken you to a place filled with the most amazing toys to distract you, i know you miss mummy so much, i know everything feels odd atm… But i m trying my best. I❤️u and again i am so sorry.

View on Instagram

1. bruno

October 9, 2014 at 11:01 am

Why is she worried, Nigeria is a wonderful and safe country, nigerians are kind, truth worthy people.

• zak

October 9, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Bruno…why do you have to be so obtuse?

• bruno

October 9, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Olodo, I was being sarcastic. My comment was suppose to be opposite.

2. Tilly

October 9, 2014 at 11:05 am

You Bruno are an I.D.I.O.T!

3. BlueEyed

October 9, 2014 at 11:09 am

I was waiting for BN to post this and thank God they did. Really praying for this mother to be reconciled with her child, you can’t imagine how it must feel. However the kind of mother she might be, it’s her daughter and if the baby daddy and his family have issues with her parenting they should go about the custody the right way, kidnapping the child is another crime on it’s own. However (just a thought) what kind of Man and Grandparent abandons a child during the initial stages and now feel the need to raise the child now?

4. LILO

October 9, 2014 at 11:24 am

Baby daddy tinz sha

5. Changing Faces

October 9, 2014 at 11:43 am

I can’t imagine what the mother is going through right now. ..thankfully the little girl is still at an age she won’t understand what’s happening. I’m glad it happened in the UK, that grandma go hear nwi by the time the authorities are done with her. .. Over entitled grandma #issheyourchild

6. lizbeth

October 9, 2014 at 11:54 am

may God grant the lady in question the strength to wait till she finds her kid.
    but na wa for the grandma o. even if she has issues with the mother of the kid can’t they settle their differences amicably? oga o, i believe that she (the grandma) will have lots of explaining to do when the hands of the Law catches up with h. Its well o

7. Cece

October 9, 2014 at 11:54 am

I really don’t see how Instagram is the best place to raise this issue. The police station would have been sufficient. Quite embarrassing for the entire family. Nevertheless, I still hope they will be reunited soon.

• benny

October 9, 2014 at 12:05 pm

U r obviously not a parent. If u were, “quite embarrassing” wont b what u wld b worried about. Social media is a tool these days. U think she didn’t go to the police because she used instagram to help spread awareness? Are you ok? Some of you are just plain ignorant and insensitive. I can’t imagine my darling son taken away and someone somewhere is only thinking about how embarrassing it is.

• @babylasugar

October 9, 2014 at 2:03 pm

God Bless You

• lotus flower

October 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Actually, when a child is kidnapped,the best thing to do I go to the police and use all means available to appeal to the public so that you have extra eyes searching for the child. Have you ever heard of Amber alert? There is nothing embarrassing about using all means to find an innocent, defenseless child.

8. NNENNE

October 9, 2014 at 12:06 pm

We should always do things that are to the best interest of a child. Kidnapping a child from the only parent she knows is very traumatic.
    After carrying a child for nine months, then you suddenly decide she is yours? I can’t imagine myself in this position.

9. G

October 9, 2014 at 12:50 pm

oh Lord.. Please help this mother. Coming to think of it…. Most Naija’s are very controlling. Looking at this girl, I c they have sized her up. Y have they sized her up? They insulted her kindness. To the extent of accommodating the paternal mother despite his son being irresponsible when the baby was conceived.
    Life has thought me that there are few unselfish and kind people out there. If some1 shows you their true colors… believe them …Their family members included… be civil to them but don’t be besties…
    May the Lord heal your heart and reunite with your daughter in Jesus Name amen.
    I pray the British authorities handle this.

10. Omoté

October 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Which kind nonsense b dat??? Now dey know dey av a child??? Where was grandma whn the son rejected the pregnancy??? She would have to come to Nigeria and get her child if indeed the grandma is back with d child. She has to be ready for battle oh, dis gentle woman approach no go work here.

11. baboushka

October 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Wicked grandmother very wicked! Isn’t there supposed to be some sort of border control watch at UK airports looking out for minors that could be being kidnapped or girls being taken abroad for forced circumcision and arranged marriages? I read something like that…she needs to seek the help of the high commission in Lagos if this woman is truly in Nigeria that is a clear case of kidnap how would she have felt if her son was kidnapped by his paternal grandma as a toddler some women are just wicked!

12. Blessing

October 9, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Her case is quite pathetic nd I really feel for her,but posting Dis on the social media is not going to help.she is only making the situation worst rather she knows the right thing to do and the right authority to contact. And I feel it might not really be outright kidnap.

13. Tiya

October 9, 2014 at 1:58 pm

This could never happen in the US. Right at the checkpoint, they will be asking you questions. You will have to have one of the parents present for you to take the kid out of the country. I Saw it happen at the airport last month and the TSA folks refused to let this lady travel without the presence of either of the parents or a written consent from both parents. But that is a really mean and heartless mother-in-law. Did anyone take her son from her. She is such an enabler with an irresponsible son. – Nonsense

14. ceetoo

October 9, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Provide the man’s name too… let us be on the look out in port harcourt.. it will be easier to find the man than his mother.it is all out there now, so no need to protect or hide anyone’s identity anymore. let us hunt them out in portharcourt. it is a small town.

• BlueEyed

October 9, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I think his name is Izuchuckwu Ehiemere, very irresponsible sombori

15. Thatgidigirl

October 9, 2014 at 2:11 pm

This is so callous!! But if she’s serious, she can trace this woman, she’s not in hiding…..even I know who she is, isn’t she supposed to be enlightened? Embarrassing her kids! and she has female children oh! Wicked Caribbean woman!!! She didn’t even put herself in Temmy’s shoes as a mother??? The poor lady must be out of sorts right now.

16. eesha

October 9, 2014 at 3:32 pm

This is really sad. I pray she gets reconciled with her daughter soon. What i dont understand is how the woman managed to get the grand-daughter’s passport easily.

• Trina

October 9, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Biko, did you miss the part where it was stated they’ve lived together for 5 months? Isn’t that enough time to strategise and know where the passport is?

UK houses are notoriously tiny so it’s not going to be rocket science to locate where important documents are kept. Plus it’s very unlikely anyone would be thinking of a possible kidnap and start hiding passports.

17. @edDREAMZ

October 9, 2014 at 3:35 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Well is her grand daughter and is not like she is going to do anything bad to her….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• bee

October 9, 2014 at 3:45 pm

really??? A kidnapper grandmother?? How are you sure she won’t do anything.

• benny

October 9, 2014 at 4:55 pm

These ignorant LIBers

• Bola

October 9, 2014 at 7:28 pm

You’re displaying your foolishness with that comment

• girl

October 9, 2014 at 9:47 pm

wasn’t it on this same BN that we read a grandma used her grandchild for pepper soup? eau mme

18. Single Shalewa, Bitter Binut!

October 9, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Mazi Edwin, really? She already did something bad to that child by abducting/kidnapping her to Nigeria.
    Why am i even responding to you sef?

• Hurperyeahmie

October 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

Rotfl at Mazi, biko you people should leave Edwin alone he is always writing out of point even at local pakurumo they always insult him for his lack of wisdom

19. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

October 9, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I THINK IT IS WRONG ON ALL LEVELS TO STEAL AND SEPERATE A CHILD FROM HIS/HER MOTHER W/O HER KNOWLEDGE. WHAT AN EVIL THING. ONE WORD TO THE GRANDMOTHER, WHO TOOK YOUR CHILD(REN) AWAY FROM YOU AT ANY TIME. IN YOUR LIFE?

• Chiangel

October 9, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Thank you ooo! I am really taking this personal!!! How dare she?! That is if she’s even human with a heart.

20. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

October 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm

STILL TO THE GRANDMOTHER, YOU HAVE BEHAVED THE WAY A WITCH BEHAVES. THIS BEEN SAID, YOU BETTER SLEEP WITH ONE EYE OPEN BECAUSE GOD DON’T LIKE UGLY, WHAT GOES ‘ROUND COMES ‘ROUND, YOU REEP WHAT YOU SEW, KARMA NA B***H!

21. baboushka

October 9, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Dear Grandma please do not let your granddaughter grow up resenting you due to your actions.

22. atlstyle

October 9, 2014 at 8:03 pm

God save this silly grandmother that it wasn’t an American child she took..hmm she wld hate the day she was born smh sheeeeeew..rubbish, ur son doesn’t want the child so u ‘ all can go to hell. I blame the girl for letting ur ex ‘ mother to stay with u for 5months!!!!!!!! R u insane?

23. Jumz

October 9, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I am actually shocked that she succeeded in carrying the baby out of the UK, the law does not allow you travel with a minor without a written consent from both parents. I have had issues with the UK border security severally for not having a letter from my hubby to travel with my daughter. So how this grandma was able to take the baby from the UK still remains a mystery to me. I feel terribly sorry for her I cant imagine my daughter been taken from me for a sec..

24. wunmi

October 9, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Na wah o, This granma is senseless. who send her evil job that she cant use her brain? Who knows maybe she stole her son somewhere sef. she come turn pro!….

25. khaleesi

October 9, 2014 at 11:20 pm

that woman is just a witch. the girl even tried, letting her stay with her for 5 months. she must really love her baby father to have done than. 5 whole months…

26. Precious Ephraim

October 10, 2014 at 3:00 am

U could always fake a “letter of consent” .. they are such cowards , they had to steal the child .. i just pity the girl sha , annoying thing is she will have to stop concentrating on her studies because of all these

27. Wifey

October 10, 2014 at 4:52 am

Something smells fishy about the story. “Reacting to the report however, the father of the baby in a chat with blogger, Myne Whitman claimed it is a legal matter and blogs shouldn’t just jump into conclusion on the issue”

So… a child is gone, and the father is more concerned with blogs than the police?

This story has k leg. Even the comments from the mother. ” I didn’t get to hug her goodbye, I didn’t get to kiss her good bye.”

Emmm, how about saying ” bring my daughter back now!

28. Laura

October 10, 2014 at 9:50 am

So wrong! I dont care the circumstances, no one has any right to take a child from their mother, albeit without her consent!

29. Hian

October 11, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Thank God Liya is now with Temmys mother. Izu, God help you my brother. You and your mother are evil. Evil people.