News

19 Year Old Super Falconettes Player Rejects $7,000 Pay Because She Feels Honoured to Play for Nigeria

courtney dike ii

Courtney Dike

Say what?

Courtney Dike,  a 19-year-old who plays for the Super Falconettes, Nigeria’s Under 20 female football team has rejected the $7,000 paid to her by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for participating in the 2014 U-20 Women’s World Cup, Nigerian Watch reports.

She is said to have refused to accept the money because she felt that playing for Nigeria was enough reward.

The US-born athlete also plays for the Oklahoma State Football team.

“When we called her mother to confirm the delivery of the allowances, she declined it and insisted that the opportunity of playing for Nigeria was all the reward the family needed,” said Sanusi Mohammed, the NFF’s head of competitions.

Reacting to the news, Dilichukwu Onyedinma,  head of the Nigeria Women League board, said  “She is a star and patriotic Nigerian who put service to her fatherland above money. The minister is aware and we will push the act before the NFF so it can inspire many others. Doing this with the backing of her parents, Courtney Dike should be applauded and perhaps celebrated.”

Courtney’s brother, Bright, reportedly plays for the Super Eagles.

1. Truth

November 5, 2014 at 3:45 pm

This is the main difference between nigerian youths raised in nigeria with all the corruption and quick money mentality, in comparison to american sportsmanship and nigerian good upbringing,…it is called integrity. Thank you Courtney. I hope more nigerian youths can be inspired by you to see service to country above money, especially our kleptocratic government officials. Your action, whether you knew or not has spoken louder than any word those people in government service can muster. Thank you!

• Jennifer

November 5, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Your comment made sense until you had to ruin it with the youths raised in Nigeria, and youths raised outside Nigeria remark. That is incomprehensible and so NOT the case!
      People should learn to make points without being unnecessarily irrational and mindless. That was OFF and unneeded.
      You can make a comment and applaud someone, without slandering another set of people. I’m sorry, but you simply CANNOT come up with that conclusion.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 5, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I agree that youths who’re raised outside the country may have more examples of integrity within their immediate environments to aspire towards.

However, I’ll counter your point by saying that (for me) the main difference between the youths raised in Nigeria and the ones raised outside that country is that the Nigerian reared youths have enough street smarts to recognise that if they leave this money to be “returned” to Govt coffers, it’ll more than likely end up in someone’s personal account instead.

So, whilst I applaud the intentions of this young lady, I wish she’d taken the money and given it to a deserving charity instead.

• slice

November 5, 2014 at 7:48 pm

i wonder if the girl is even allowed to accept the money sef or if there are rules similar to NCAA rules that prevent that for a college football player. i’m not sure

• Exquisite

November 5, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Mz Socially Awkward,
      I love almost all your comments but I do not agree (though it’s your opinion) that the youths raised outside the country have more integrity. There are no substantial facts to come up with that and it’s not an appropriate comment. We simply cannot generalise. We just cannot conclude like that.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

November 6, 2014 at 4:11 pm

@Exquisite, I didn’t say that they had more integrity, I only stated they have more examples of integrity in their immediate environments.

However, I do take your point about generalizing and apologise if my statement came across like I was doing that.

• ATL's finest

November 5, 2014 at 7:37 pm

She’s got opportunities! She plays for OKC, probably on soccer scholarship who knows, attends a great school, etc.. So many back home have what it takes but don’t ve d opportunity. Let’s not forget that. To be honest. as a Med Dr. I don’t care how much I make I will grab EVERY opportunity that comes my way!! If Steven Spielberg wanna feature me in a movie, so be it lmao.. If P-square want me in their video in Nigeria, so be it.. After all. Obama was once a lawyer, a senator and now a President.. I applaud her & $7.000 might not be a lot, but it can do a lot to her trust fund.

• aurora

November 5, 2014 at 10:45 pm

^^^^^^example of youth trained in Nigeria….

• Exquisite

November 5, 2014 at 11:43 pm

See you talking about Nigerian youths and generalising how a set is less corrupt than the other. If you were given the money, you’d collect it like yesterday. Human beings and their misguided conclusions.
      Wrong assumption you typed there in the name of commenting.

• Exquisite

November 5, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Truth:
      Wrong assumption you typed there in the name of commenting.

• ATL's finest!!!

November 11, 2014 at 8:32 am

@ Exquisite exactly! @ Aurora quit been stupid and FYI, my youth life was in overseas and that doesn’t mean because I didn’t grow in Nigeria doesn’t meant I should act silly..

2. cleo

November 5, 2014 at 3:47 pm

What? I am speechless. So she thinks so highly of her country. I need grace to think same way. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Ona

November 5, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Im sorry i only clicked cos i saw a fine girl. She foine!

4. Author Unknown

November 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

When I read “The US-born athlete also plays for the Oklahoma State Football team”, it all started to make more sense. I hope she realises that the officials commending her are the ones that will pocket the money.

5. OgeAdiro

November 5, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Nna, there is still hope for Nigeria!
    Courtney, thanks for representing NIgeria.

6. Aibee

November 5, 2014 at 4:13 pm

She did well and I commend her. I hope Nigeria doesn’t screw her up the way the Country screw up her heroes.

7. x-factor

November 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Inspired…..Well done girl

8. Anon

November 5, 2014 at 4:15 pm

She should have donated it to a charity of her choice because it is still going to end up in a corrupt official’s pocket.

• baboushka

November 5, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Thank you! It would have made more sense for her to take it and share it among various charities or even buy football kits and what not for little footballers . Those officials just got paid!

9. @edDREAMZ

November 5, 2014 at 4:22 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    And they say igbos love money.. Ndi ofia….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

10. Tosin

November 5, 2014 at 4:52 pm

awww, she’s so beautiful, and it says her brother also plays football, how cool.

Next time increase the prize money 🙂

11. baboushka

November 5, 2014 at 4:56 pm

This reference to Nigeria as fatherland (national anthem et al) has got to stop no wonder the society is patriarchal. Homeland would be a better gender neutral reference. Imagine if the US Department of Homeland security was called the Department of Fatherland security lol! All my other African padis refer to their home countries as motherland so this Nigerian one baffles me a whole lot heck even black diasporans are always talking about going back to the motherland.

• OgeAdiro

November 5, 2014 at 6:04 pm

What’s the difference between Mama Africa and fatherland? If i remember correctly, in the Nigerian pledge, we pledge to uphold her (Nigeria’s) honor and glory.
      I just don’t get some of these arguments. Just go ahead and cut off the penises of every male child then we’ll have a truly gender neutral society. A fight for gender equality should include men not alienate them.

• baboushka

November 5, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Looks like you missed the part where i suggested the use of the term HOMELAND to be gender neutral but hey what do I know?

12. O~Intuition!

November 5, 2014 at 5:53 pm

She’s Pretty…#ThatsallIamconcentratingOn…lol

13. Kermit

November 5, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I applaud this girl for what she did but don’t be quick to condemn others that accepted the money. She declined it because she is in a position to i.e. she doesn’t NEED the money. She goes to an amazing school in the US and clearly has supportive parent, incase you don’t know $7000 isn’t much money. Others that collected money are people who don’t have the same opportunity. So please forget all those “Nigerians raised abroad and at home” and which tribe loves or doesn’t love money. All the same, I commend her efforts

• Uju

November 5, 2014 at 7:07 pm

My exact thoughts … The other ladies who took the money may not be as privileged … Probably not even close …hence we need to stop the comparison because it is not a fair one. Thank you.

• ck

November 5, 2014 at 7:20 pm

@Kermit I don’t agree with you. I earn £50,000 per year ($75,000) and I won’t say $7k isn’t lots of money. In some part of the country that 7k will help you pay the mortgage deposit on a flat – some people work their butts out for years to save this while paying bills, tax etc.
      $7k is N1.2m and would be worth to her what N500k is worth to some of our celebs who charge charge 200k per movie and shoot 5 films a month. And trust me some of them would still collect N500k if they were in her shoes in fact they will demand more

14. paloma

November 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm

@Kermit u are absolutely right

15. vicky

November 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm

She is beautiful

16. ofcourse

November 5, 2014 at 6:57 pm

How can they pay her $7000…when they are paying other footballers 20 times more..
    They should read between the lines goo…

17. ATL's finest

November 5, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Lmao! Immediately I read that she turned down some cash, I knew she wasn’t born & raised in Nigeria.. U can’t try this with Ninja babe oo.. I’m glad she plays for OKC football team but let they say, every opportunity U come across grab it & make the best out of it.. She’s young and she’s got a long life ahead of her!

• ATL's finest

November 5, 2014 at 7:30 pm

*like* correcting myself.

• Susan

November 5, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Shallow comment, I’m sorry. “I knew she wasn’t born and raised in Nigeria”. What I find very amusing is, most of you making ridiculous comments like that were BORN in Nigerian. Smh.

• Susan

November 5, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Nigeria*

18. bokun

November 5, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Spot on. She most have looked at the state of affairs of the Nigerian youths and felt they need the money more than herself. She could have taken it and donated it to an orphanage sha.

19. NotBothered....

November 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Keep such opinions to yourself., but whatever gets you off tho….

20. concerned9ja

November 5, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Sensed she lived abroad even before reading the article..
    No comparison!!.. an average 9ja youth brought up in 9ja with those football skills would probably have come from the wrong side of town, parents most likely spent all their savings on the child’s ambition which might pay off or fail no guarantees…this is their just reward and the Youth too..
    Comparing her with 9ja youths is like comparing chalk and cheese…different situation and environment…warrants a different take on what’s wrong or right!!
    And we all know those thieving Ministers would just gobble it all up!!

21. Dzy

November 5, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I truely applaud her for playing for Nigeria and hope she also plays for the senior team. I think she is College athlete, so if she collects money it will make her a pro and disqualify her from playing for her school and she will loose her scholarship. Like I said am proud of her for playing for Nigeria and being proud of it. I think its not fair on her team mates for this story to be making the news, it kind of makes the other girls look unpatriotic. The girls dont all come from comfortable backgrounds and the money will make a significant change to thier lives. Well done to all the U20 girls.

• kina

November 6, 2014 at 8:45 am

That clarifies things. Makes more sense now. Gosh media and their edited take on things!. All aimed at misleading people.

• Olanma

November 6, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I really don’t understand human beings and their reasoning. Just cause the others collected the money doesn’t mean they don’t come from comfortable backgrounds! My goodness, what a myopic way of thinking.
      Most of us commenting, if given, would we reject? Would us not rejecting imply we don’t come from decent backgrounds? Gosh!

22. Atl finest

November 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm

BN post my two comments mtchew

23. Just me

November 5, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Money don’t come easy these days.
    She could have collected the money and given it to her team mates who would need it.
    To each, their own.

24. Jus

November 5, 2014 at 10:47 pm

She plays college soccer in the United States and according to the rules, college athletes can not receive any form of monetary compensation and in other for her to stay eligible and continue to play and keep her scholarship then she has to turn down any monetary offer.

• Olanma

November 6, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Jus,
      Thank you oh!
      And people are here talking bs about how kids raised outside have more integrity. Talk about bs.
      There’s a reason she didn’t collect the money.
      Technology has given people the opportunity to make evaluations and conclusions, no matter how illogical.

25. Chuckleberry

November 6, 2014 at 4:31 am

What if this is a publicity stunt. No one knew Courtney Dike before now but now we all do. She has tactfully made history and her act will linger on for a long time.

• ThatAwkaGirl!

November 6, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Who knew Courtney Dike before now???? Well anyone that watched U-20 World Cup this summer that’s for sure. I saw a couple of live games & she was brilliant and also very talented.
      So just because u don’t know her, doesn’t mean that people that actually watch the sport have no clue!

26. Ijebu Boy

November 6, 2014 at 4:38 am

Jus Just nailed it….

27. halia

November 6, 2014 at 10:29 am

Patriotism with class and sportsmanship. May you find favor on and off the field Courtney! Gorgeous Chika! #inspired #fewgoodmen&women