Scoop

David Oyelowo as Martin Luther King; Watch ‘Selma’ Trailer Starring Oprah Winfrey, Cuba Gooding Jnr & More

selma-movie-david-oyelowoThe last time we saw David Oyelowo, Cuba Gooding Jnr and Oprah Winfrey together in a movie was in Lee DanielsThe Butler. Now the trio are coming together again for a movie that is long overdue – a look into the life of civil rights activist Martin Luther King.

For the movie, British actor of Nigerian descent David Oyelowo nabs the lead role as Martin Luther King. Oprah Winfrey, Common and Cuba Gooding Jnr also star in the picture.

selma-oprahSelma 3 Selma-Common Selma 2 Selma 4 Selma Selma 5

The all-star cast has been assembled for Paramount’s powerful re-telling of one of Martin Luther King Jnr‘s most noble and notable deeds. The movie tracks King’s struggle to secure voting rights for all people, culminating in the Alabama march from Selma to Montgomery and President Lyndon Johnson’s signing of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

According to reports the movie is set for a limited release on Christmas Day and a mainstream push from January 9th next year.

We can’t wait. We can already see that David Oyelowo had to gain some weight for this movie role.

Watch the trailer below!

1. chi-e-z

November 7, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Menh, is Oprah acting as Rosa Parks oh I hope so there is noone better. Like I love Rosa Parks like just love love love her. If you’ve ever seen the woman in an interview or heard her life you’ld know she is the epitomy of grace and dignity.

• chi-e-z

November 7, 2014 at 11:12 pm

*live*

2. LamLam

November 8, 2014 at 1:16 am

Now why won’t i want to watch this movie, the trailer alone is just on point.

3. Ife

November 8, 2014 at 1:21 am

Oh, loving the Southern accents. Haha. I was going to say, we are getting just a tad tired of these slavery/racial inequalities movies but the trailer was convincing to some extent. I will definitely like to see this. I hope they included those parts of Rev. King’s morally bankrupt character the world knows nothing about. Lol

4. BlueEyed

November 8, 2014 at 1:43 am

I smell award season buzz for this movie. A good cast of AA actors who understand racism and the struggle. Biopics are usually a shoe-in and this one is about the Great MLK so fingers crossed. P.s The Oscars should not do to this movie what they did to the Butler.

5. Fabulicious

November 8, 2014 at 4:25 am

I had goosebumps watching the trailer.We have really come a long way.

6. bruno

November 8, 2014 at 4:46 am

I’m so glad its not another black movie about slaves or maids or butlers

This is an Oscar bait movie.

• Beeeee

November 8, 2014 at 5:45 am

I agree. We have enough of those

7. Miss Mo

November 8, 2014 at 7:24 am

Nothing can stop me from watching this movie.

I heart black history 😀

8. Gee

November 8, 2014 at 2:25 pm

David Oyewolo! God Bless that man. Boy he sure can act.
    I got chills watching this trailer. Can’t wait to see this. The scene with Oprah’s character screaming…ohwee

9. Tosin

November 8, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Oprah Winfrey! duh-rama queeen! Yeah, it’ll be sold out in Yankee fo’sho!
    David Oyelowo – I saw him give an ah-mazing performance in Red Tails – great film. Looks like he was also in Small Island – another great film I just happened upon one day. So this Selma film is time for him to get some widespread acclaim, cos he’s gooood at his job. Fun to watch.
    Has all the ingredients…

10. Ides of March

November 8, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Chills! Now that is how you start a revolution! A united front is what t takes, Naija when will we get there so we can kick corrupt officials to the curb, when?

11. me2me

November 9, 2014 at 2:47 am

If a Trailer can make me cry then it will be a great film. Amazing editing

12. Abbz

November 10, 2014 at 1:14 pm

OMGGG!! I can’t wait!!!!!!!!!! Aooow!