Music

At 37, Timaya explains Why He is Too Young to Get Married

Timaya on BellaNaija.com 01
Egberi Papa 1 of Bayelsa Timaya is not feeling the pressure to tie the knot with any special lady in his life.

In an interview with Punch, the musician explains that although he is 37, he is not ready to sacrifice his time.

“I am not yet ready to get married and anyone who is looking for that is only being deceived because I am too young to get married. Marriage is not all about money and nobody knows what I have in the bank because they are not my accountant. Musicians lie a lot, so don’t believe most of what they tell you.

They are only trying to ‘package’ themselves. I am not prepared for marriage because I am not yet ready to sacrifice for any woman, I am sorry. My daughter is my life and I love her so much but marriage is not on my mind. I don’t want a situation whereby I will tell a woman I want to travel somewhere and she would be complaining.”

1. Eileen

December 20, 2014 at 3:19 am

Truth be told I feel sori 4 chick who give all dis guys kids..imagin nd d woman who has ur child is suppose to put her life on a pause 4 u.

2. Ona

December 20, 2014 at 3:24 am

I respect his honesty!

• anon

December 20, 2014 at 10:20 am

what fu**ing honesty are u talking about, if u like continue to tap the ”love this” so people will think u are making sense, my dear you are just as foolish, stupid and idiotic as he is. As much as i love Timaya, this is jus stupid talk

• NoDeceit

December 20, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Why are you pained? Marriage is not by force and it certainly isn’t for everyone. Unless, you are one of the girls he slept with – and you were hoping for a ring. I don’t see why it should pain you like this!

• Chacha

December 21, 2014 at 8:11 am

Why are so highly painedddd? Chai. Is this his baby mama?? Why are u cursing someone just because they have a different opinion from u? Will the beans timaya is eating make u poop? Why exactly are u taking this ish personal? I hope u get a man like timaya who will pretend and marry u so you can know what it feels like. instead of u to be happy and count him out of the list of potential men to settle with you are here ranting like a rabid dog. You are obviously the one liking you dumb, ratchet comment.

• Zoe

December 21, 2014 at 8:19 am

Did you have to curse her out tho? All for having a different opinion from you?! Why are some of you so aggressive and disrespectful for no reason? You really think your opinion will pale and be so empty if you didn’t throw in all those curse words? So unnecessary. #Growup

• Eileen

December 20, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Wat stupid honesty?? I can imaging how she feels when she reads stuffs like dis..its not his fault really.

• Tosin

December 21, 2014 at 11:39 am

I respect his honesty too.
      Who sets the age for these things?
      It is not by force. Ha. I taya.

3. 9jahub

December 20, 2014 at 4:29 am

interesting…. time dey delay sha

4. iseemaths

December 20, 2014 at 5:37 am

Can you take several seats at a bus park somewhere? instead of you to say you cannot be committed to one woman you are here talking and anticipating a woman complaining that you want to travel…. you are just enjoying the groupies all over you and the girls (hustlers) that feel they stand a chance with you. Goodbye Bloop “in my nene leaks voice”

• nne

December 20, 2014 at 10:24 am

But he’s telling the truth…allow it. Each man to his own

• Ona

December 20, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Ummm he obviously insinuated that he can’t commit to one woman, how else do u want him to spell it out? He doesn’t have to admit anything to anyone. The most important thing is that he was honest that he is not ready to commit to anyone. Its no one’s business whether he wants to marry or not geez! Not everyone is meant to marry, and they don’t owe any body a darn explanation.My problem is with those people who know they are incapable of committing to one person, yet go into marriage making their spouse so miserable. I respect his stance so much more than these married men running around sleeping with everything in skirt(and pants even). So many women/men are miserable in their marriages due to infidelity, and alot of times the people they married were pressured into it because of societal expectations….even tho they know darn well that they are not ready, or will never be able to commit to one person. In this case a man is being brutally honest and he’s still being attacked. Can we learn to respect people’s choices in life, and accept the fact that we can’t all live a uniform life?

• Didi

December 21, 2014 at 3:21 am

Lol. He was being real and i absolutely respect that. What it means is that women who obviously know this and still want something serious with him are obviously waiting on a lost cause; at least for now.. I had a guy tell me something like this and even said “if i have to travel for business right now, I don’t want anyone nagging me”. What will i do nah? Obviously we were not on the same page but am i mad? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I admired his honesty. His thought process is that “if i have to still be running after money,, then im not ready to be married”. A little shallow? for me, yes but hey, its not my life. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Women too need to stay focused on God and go about your money. Marriage is not beans so pray u get it right the first time.

• ada nnewi

December 21, 2014 at 8:31 am

By the time he gives himself a disease that debilitating and no woman wants to stand by him, he will say all women are fickle and wicked…mmmsssccchhheeewww!

5. BarnyG

December 20, 2014 at 7:04 am

Pretty lame reasons why you don’t wanna get married.. “I’m not ready to sacrifice for any woman” “I want to travel somewhere and she will be complaining”… Lool ..

• idomagirl

December 22, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Actually they aren’t lame. Marriage involves making sacrifices for your partner and creating time for them, If he isn’t ready to do that then he is right not to want to get married just yet. At least he’s honest and open about it.

6. Annonymus

December 20, 2014 at 7:23 am

SMH! Loser 101; dude is the perfect definition of what not to open your legs for! Single women take note! This one NA bad market! Lol….God bless his baby mama with patience!

7. naijasinglegirl

December 20, 2014 at 7:30 am

Wow! Its a man’s world afterall. I can imagine a 37 lady uttering such when menopause is giving her side eyes from one corner. This life…

naijasinglegirl.com

• idomagirl

December 22, 2014 at 6:52 pm

If na woman dem for abuse am tire…

8. Atl's finest

December 20, 2014 at 7:36 am

I’m glad U have got a daughter, if at 37, and the reason he could come up with why he’s not ready for marriage is a woman complaining when he want to travel, is your decision. But grow up & FYI, not every musician out there is telling a lie.

9. madman

December 20, 2014 at 8:09 am

gbabe…. I like when men are honest with themselves. Enjoy ya life sir, only one life to live.

10. baboushka

December 20, 2014 at 8:57 am

At least he is being honest. Btw Timaya your bank knows what’s in your account lol.. I never knew Naija newspapers asked male celebs these marriage questions I thought they were reserved for just female celebs. Marriage in Nigeria is truly overrated abeg people calm down not everyone is meant to be married or to be a parent some people like their single childless life exactly as it is. Meanwhile if you are Timaya’s current squeeze and was hoping this was the last bus stop just press the bell or tap the conductor if that is what they do on Naija buses, get off and hop on another bus dem plenty for road but not all are roadworthy so check well before you hop back on.

11. i no send

December 20, 2014 at 8:57 am

i love his honesty..hes not too young physically but perhaps emotionally

12. deb

December 20, 2014 at 10:04 am

Marriage comes with a lot of responsibilities which obviously he is not ready for. BTW, Hello!!!! Musicians are not the only ones that travel, business men, corporate men, public servants, engineers…. do travel a lot.

13. fashy

December 20, 2014 at 10:35 am

In all honesty

14. omoibo

December 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm

At least he’s being honest, marriage isn’t the end all..

15. benny

December 20, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I love his honesty tbvh

16. D main man

December 20, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Wow…Timaya i would have loved it if you had said you aren’t ready for marriage and FULL STOP…. saying you are not ready when you want to travel. your wife will start complaining…Omo na small pikin reasoning oh, its a caring wife that will complain of your incessant travelling oh…
    AGAIN…There are one millions girls out there to grant you a WHOLE YEAR PASS to travel when you want to come back come back…infact when you tell them Europe i go…then they tell you please manage a Year pass.

17. kenitola

December 20, 2014 at 12:26 pm

which honesty? he doesnt want to be committed to a woman when many are at his beck and call.. timaya ride on.

18. Tina

December 20, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I don’t know why baby mamas feel they are owed marriage and get upset when relationship don’t work out or the guy moves on to somebody else. If you’re stupid enough to pop out kids without marriage, be matured enough to take disappointment and move on. I don’t why some feel the guy most marry them for the sake of kids. The guy does not owe YOU anything, his only responsibility is the CHILD. I’m tired of seeing girls being bitter and even go as far as attacking the other woman for stealing their baby daddy, saying “he should marry me because I have so so… number of kid”. Again, kids are not reasons to get married. I see people commenting that Timaya’s baby mama should patiently wait. Let her wait in vain, I bet when he’s ready to get married it’ll not be to her.

19. Ngozi

December 20, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Eileen and Tina… I completely agree with you both.. Women please be wise with your body.. Have fun but don’t go doing baby mama things for some silly guy.. Not worth it. Take care of yourself women!!!!!!!!!

• Eileen

December 20, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Tanks..

20. Jacob

December 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm

This guy is always controversial. One minute he is ready to marry his baby mama the next minute, he is professing love for a faceless woman. I don’t understand this guy at all and all the things I read about him. Is this guy on some drugs? This is another way for him to seek for attention. We know he doesn’t owe his baby mama marriage but for crying out loud, he needs to stop shaming her and turning her into overused goods. Her future husband will one day read all of this about her. WTF! I feel so sorry for the woman in question. One minute he loves her, next he is bashing her. Wonders! He is not okay in the head. I won’t do this to any woman.

• Tina

December 20, 2014 at 3:40 pm

No body can be used unless they disrespect themselves enough to be used. Every adult is responsible for their actions, it’s called “free will”. Even God allows us that

21. jane

December 20, 2014 at 2:31 pm

He looks good for a 37 year old..

22. Johnmatilda

December 20, 2014 at 2:38 pm

@tina, wat was d essence or importance of the relationship in the first place?. Was it just for procreation?

• jacob

December 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm

It’s not about that Johnmatilda. This guy has already said he wants to marry his baby mama. Pls use google and find some of the things he said and that was when she just had a baby. So what is his problem? Why drag her down the line and keep hammering on his idea of being too young for marriage? I married my woman when I was 21. So what does he mean? 37 cannot be his real age. This guy talks like 1982.
      Procreation or not, don’t bring the woman out like this all the time. It’s getting boring.

23. BN lover

December 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Hmmmmm honesty ikwokirikpo………abeg make I hear word……if he wasn’t getting everything a woman should offer free…..he won’t say this…… una sef check am na……he has a baby….FREE,so he can even decide never to get married

24. EMMA

December 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm

HE S A FRESH MAN GO AHEAD TIMAYA

25. mujer

December 20, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I hear you Timaya. Wait until you are 70 or even 80. Makes sense. that way you don’t have to be responsible for anybody except yaself. You also have a daughter so at least you have released your seed into the world to continue your name. About a woman complaining – just don’t pick on someone with insecurities or a prolific nag and you can tell these types right away. Clingy behavior is not love. It is evidence of psychological incompetence. Find someone independent and you will change your mind.

26. NoDeceit

December 20, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Why are people mad at him. He has spoken his mind and been honest. If any woman still decides to devote her life to him, she only has herself to blame. He is not ready for monogamous committment and marriage – It isn’t by force. Timaya 300% better than men that get married, make vows to their spouses and continue living like irresponsible dogs by sleeping with everything in a skirt; then coming home to give their wives diseases! If more Nigerian men were honest with themselves, they should have never married!

• idomagirl

December 22, 2014 at 6:54 pm

GBAM!

27. diana

December 20, 2014 at 8:45 pm

He is definitely looking for an independent woman to get pregnant for him so that he will dump her with the baby and come back when the child is grown. I know his type. Irresponsible. He should just stop this talks. They are way way too petty. D’banj is busy doing business hanging out with international stars, this one is here with woman talk everytime. Too petty! Doesn’t he not get tired of small talks?

28. Chacha

December 21, 2014 at 8:13 am

Why exactly are people offended by this man’s stance?? Does the beans he eats make u poop in anyway? There are billions of men in this world and u people are convulsing over one man who doesn’t wanna get married? Sometimes i think some of u deserve the shitty men u get because a lot of the time all the signs are there, and the men themselves even hint to u that they aren’t able to commit, yet u desperately pressure them into marriage, and then cry foul later. Just pitiful!

29. churchmama

December 21, 2014 at 9:08 am

Timaya, stop deceiving yourself I beg u. No woman wants u. No classy woman wants to end up with u. That’s why they all run away and u end up with women who want ur money and they use ur head and also run. Timaya ur character sucks! Ur attitude is terrible. U have to change it. No woman in her right senses also would get pregnant for u and keep it. Unless u tricked her into believing u are a good guy.
    Even the woman that is genuine u still abuse her Timaya. U abuse people’s family, people’s lives and put them down. But you are not God. That woman you are abusing, God will lift her up. You will be surprised. All the laugh you and your crew have laughed at her, God will lift her up.
    Stop deceiving Nigerians. They are not stupid anymore.

30. Danielle

December 22, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Is it not this same boy that goes about asking babes to marry him and have a child for him so that his baby mama will run? Why is he changing talk now? He is always talking two two. If he is not the marrying type, he should allow all his girlfriends, including his baby mama to have boyfriends. But he will not. Very jealous. Insecure. Bitter. And stalks.

31. Lydia

December 23, 2014 at 11:58 am

Timaya. Timaya. Timaya. How many times I call u. Timaya goes about threatening women who does not want to date him,. He has even threatened my friend that he will make sure she runs out of Lagos, and he will make sure he makes her mad, all because the woman came to Lagos for her music career. Timaya that she knows that is a little boy threatening her because he feels she no longer has money? Ah Timaya change your ways. Port Harcourt women in Lagos are holding meeting for you. Change my brother, change.

32. Lydia

December 23, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Timaya you have threatened the woman so tay she is afraid of even leaving her house. Ahhhhh! My fellow naija delta brother. As soon as she came back from UK, she met you and was happy you were doing very well, then you showed her your true colours and then she checked you on the internet. see story,. only for you Timaya my brother. She is tired of trying to match with you. She is not ghetto like you but a very classy woman. Your character is changing her into a different persion. Please, leave her in her world, before she change completely because you no go like her. Change my brother. Allow my friend. she no do you anything. She does not deserve the abuse Timaya.

33. Laura

December 23, 2014 at 4:48 pm

To add to what Lydia said Timaya we are pleading with you seriously before this blows up into something else that you cannot handle that you should please stop playing with our friend, a single mom who mistakenly had a couple of flings with u and u begged her that u hoped it was not just a one night stand & she allowed you into her life & for years you tormented her and made her almost lose her senses with your near-madness nature and razzness. Please, she is a good woman. She just loves to be in harmony with everyone she used to know. Don’t spoil her good nature for us. She has a good heart and has worked hard on herself. You are not a good person Timata. Pls stay far from her. Thank you. We rest our case.

34. Da'king

June 22, 2015 at 12:04 pm

looking at it shall if u ask I don’t have to blame him na own life so anything e choose no be anybody business because if u talk from na til tomorrow e nor go choose anything