Music

Femi Otedola’s Daughter WuMi Releases new Single ‘Don’t Break my heart’ | Exclusive Premiere

BellaNaija.com

WuMi Otedola

WuMi, an alternative soul singer and one of the daughters of oil magnate Femi Otedola has released a brand new song called ‘Don’t Break my Heart’.

The rising star joins sister DJ Cuppy, who made her own debut into the music industry a while ago, as well as other female artiste who are giving Nigerian music a new sound.

WuMi made a decision to go into music after her studies in psychology and philosophy at St Andrews University and a Masters in Music at the Vocal tech in the UK.

Her new single ‘Don’t Break My Heart’ is a solemn love song produced by Anthony Marshall.

Listen.

A few days ago she performed at the Nigerian Presidential awards ceremony for the top 100 businesses. She performed the National Anthem with the brigade of guards and a cover of ‘Bibanke’ with Mike Aremu.

Check on it.

1. jessica

December 8, 2014 at 2:10 pm

The babe has seen that her sister wasnt smiling and was cashing in on their popsy’s money…she thot it wise to up her game. LoL :d

2. CITYFIRM

December 8, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Cgrt wumi wish u best of luck.

3. Ebere

December 8, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Wow what a talent

4. Ron

December 8, 2014 at 2:29 pm

She’s good

5. nono blessed

December 8, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Good luck to her

6. Tuu

December 8, 2014 at 2:38 pm

This is so good, I must confess! Wanted to say “must every1 be in music” but this nice, I like, very original.

• TheRealist

December 8, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Exactly the same here…lmao!

7. AA

December 8, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Literally must everyon be in music! But this chick is really original, looking forward to more…

8. paulmirabilis

December 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Wow, she’s very good

9. Motunrayo

December 8, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Goooooo Wumi!! You have a fan here

• tunmi

December 9, 2014 at 11:05 pm

My namesake!!!

10. jhennique

December 8, 2014 at 3:22 pm

surprisingly nice!

11. VeryAngryNigerian

December 8, 2014 at 3:25 pm

mmmmmmhh…….was she trying to sing Asa’s Bibanke???……oh my my my ….smh….she actually sounded like she was crying.

• peace

December 8, 2014 at 5:22 pm

U MUST REALLY BE A VERY ANGRY NIGERIAN , U RE PAINED MORON NEXT………………………PLS AND PLS WE SHOULD START SCREEN PEOPLE BEFORE THEY COMMENT

12. Magdaline

December 8, 2014 at 3:27 pm

She is very good but sounds nervous singing live. I wonder how the other females in the industry feel about her presence. DJ Cuppy came from nowhere and started booking big gigs left, right, and center. This girl will not have to struggle to book shows like the other new female singers. Daddy will hook her up real nice & I am not mad at that. Why would I allow my kids suffer when I am capable to making things happen?

13. bruno

December 8, 2014 at 3:37 pm

will she be sharing free cupcakes like her sister.

14. tinnnnnnnnu29

December 8, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I applaud an encouraging father honestly.Mr femi otedola I hail you sir,for letting your children folow their passion, and i know you ve spent so much money on this passion. Wish my some dad will learn from such parent and let their children follow their passion. Wish my father inlaw will let my hubby be! All cos he does nt want a salary paying job.since he started his own bussiness it been problem from this man,.he has refuse to talk to him nor support him unless he get a job.what a life and the bank are not helping too.it is well.
    some fathers are not just getting it,all they want i
    Children to put on suit abd tie every morning and earn peanut,they refuse to learn.
    Davido is in million now cos the father supported him and many others like that.

15. Asgrl

December 8, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I’m so mad she murdered my favorite ASA song…..

16. Alero Mii

December 8, 2014 at 4:24 pm

AVERAGE. I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM LEVERAGING ON THEIR FATHER’S CONNECTION, BESIDES THE FATHER MUST HAVE PAID HIS DUES… I WISH HER THE BEST.

• peace

December 8, 2014 at 5:19 pm

JEALOUSY WHO DOESN’T PRAY FOR HIS FATHER TO BE RICH. WHATS UR POINT…. SEFINI THE SONG IS A GOOD SONG. HER FATHERS CONNECTIONS OR NOT IF UR FATHER HAS THE CONNECTION WONT HE HELP UT TOO ? COMMON ALERO STOP SOUNDING LIKE U RE PAINED

17. mujer

December 8, 2014 at 4:29 pm

goodluck hon. tone. get lessons. the voice is there, could not hear many words.

18. www.simeonscripts.wordpress.com

December 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm

two sisters set to rock the industry… wow

19. peace

December 8, 2014 at 4:37 pm

DIS GIRL BROUGHT TEARS TO MY HEART…… BAE U AINT COMPETING WITH NO ONE, U NOT JUST DIFFERENT U RE UNIQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! BAE U BROKE MY HEART OFFICIAL. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED IN NIGERIA A SONG WITH NO NOISE THAT WILL MAKE YOU REASON ND THINK WELL. THANKS WUNMI …………..I AM NOW UR NO 1 FAN I WILL SPREAD THE NEWS. @PEACEY_PHERRARY

20. nystyle

December 8, 2014 at 4:48 pm

To see that everyone says she’s good especially these merciless BN commenters she should be proud, it’s like an award trust me bcos it’s hard to pls them folks lol.

21. Ngozi

December 8, 2014 at 5:35 pm

She’s so pretty and striking, great voice, great song. Can’t be easy being a ‘big man’s’ daughter. A lot of people will compare her and judge her. Just keep doing your thing, haters will always hate

22. Fabulous bunmi

December 8, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Wunni I’m glad you pursed your dreams . Beautiful voice . Love always .cocodd1

23. mulikat

December 8, 2014 at 6:27 pm

nice nice up u go gal,sound like American music.

24. GEJ

December 8, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Haters wil alwys hv somtin 2 say! Wumi’s genre of musik is rock; u hear d passion in d singer whilst it get u finkin! Wat a grt voice & song u gat! U r natural in ur own way jst lik Asa. I lv u

25. IT

December 8, 2014 at 9:42 pm

sorry…not impressed at all….have you heard waje sing??? or omawunmi….or Asa…infact omotola and genevieve ….Seriously love forget the liars and pychophants…. it will be hard to compete in d market o….but ur dad gat some cash so he can promote you sha…he will hire a good voice coach and get marvin records to sign you….i feel really bad saying this cos i love women that follow their dreams….just work on it

26. mrs chidukane

December 8, 2014 at 9:50 pm

LMAO! I had to scroll back up to check the commenters names.

27. Asgrl

December 8, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Before you all start shouting haters. Can we all agree that when you call yourself a singer, you SHOULD actually be able to sing. I judge my favorite artists based on their ability to sing LIVE not based on what is crafted in the Studio. Waje, TemiDollface, Yemi Alade, Omawunmi, the two Chidimas (although the bigger one be hella yelling sometimes), go and listen to this women live in concert and then comeback and tell me I’m a hater. WHET???!!! Miss me with the bullcrap and have several seats \_\_\_

• FoB

December 9, 2014 at 3:04 am

The recorded song is very nice without doubt, but that live performance!!!! No NO NO!! It sounded horrible, if BN had introduced her with only the song she released, it be clapping and praising her, but after listening to the live performance, i would say she needs to develop a bit more before coming out.

28. brownchocolate

December 8, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Wumi Otedola’s got talent! Nice production, nice delivery.

29. Alero Mii

December 9, 2014 at 12:16 am

How did you pass examinations in school? Please read carefully before responding, it might cost you a lot in the nearest future. I reiterate that I do not have a problem with them leveraging on their father’s success, which is only natural, since their father must have paid his dues, and that statement was in response to a previous statement in that thread.

30. Lola

December 9, 2014 at 12:43 am

Some people are deaf or need to turn up their speakers. She can sing. I think it is extreme to say she can’t sing. We are all entitled to our opinions. But her talent is not questionable just because she isn’t shaking her butt to some Azonto knock off. She’s different from the crowd. Kai haters sha ohh Abeg WuMi go on with your bad self. #fan #Wumi Stan!!!

31. blaise

December 9, 2014 at 12:56 am

Ohhhh such hateration, chill on that haterade. Sip on some water it’s healthier for the mind, body and soul.

32. amaka

December 9, 2014 at 12:56 am

Really! Let’s be frank here, that girl can’t sing. Don’t get me wrong, she has something there but not good enough to earn her a high position in the industry. I mean, I can do better! Taking on Asa’s song didn’t help matters girl! A good musician should be able to know the type of songs or should I say the pitch of the instrumentals that would to with her voice. Please she needs to rethink this properly not just because her father is who he is.

33. Springz

December 9, 2014 at 8:08 am

awwww…I think bra. Otedola has done good for himself and proven that he’s such a learned person.For someone like him to give his YES to his kids going into music considering the platform they have , thumb ups….And to those crucifying them, their father’s gat the connection to put them on spot light which is what every artist looks forward to,thats the work of your manage and promoter , making sure you get a platform…now, is that a crime?Absolutely NO, Trust me if it were to be some of this pako gals, all u will see them doing his showing off their fake bags and phones in some cheap hotel in south africa not even europe….we see them from time to time….BRAVO wunmi , you just need a good producer and work on ur sessions …trust me you can sing, all you need is just a producer and ur vocal coach, do a couple of stage presentation and get use to the stage…AND boooomb ur there! Wish ya success gal

34. Ninjachic

December 9, 2014 at 6:45 pm

From all the comments here, my only thought is we truly live in a land that hails mediocrity as excellence. If this passes for talent these days, then I’m worried for what our generation and the next has to offer. By the way, I say this because of the live performance not the tune churned out from the studio. I have absolutely no problem with her being Femi Otedola’s daughter or using her father’s connections – the Nigerian music industry isn’t that hard to break into anyways, I’ve heard people make hit records with much less singing ability. I also believe in using what you have to chart your own success whether it be beauty, brains or wealth, God has blessed us all in different ways. However, from the live performance, this girl cannot sing – she was off key from the start, in the middle and at the end. The sound clip from her album is much better but like another commenter said, you judge a singer’s ability and range from his/her live performances. The studio does wonders to voices , even the small microphone from that karaoke place on Idowu Taylor with its small sound effect and echo will convince you that you are Adele’s flesh and blood until you try the same thing with a raw mic and speakers. Maybe, it was a bad day, even the greats have them, but at their very worst I can’t remember the last time I heard someone claiming to be a professional singer sound this off. So imagine my surprise at all the praise. Her voice didn’t even sound tired or worn from use, it was just meh…

35. tunmi

December 9, 2014 at 11:11 pm

One does not simply take on an Asa song

Bibanke (frankly any of Asa’s song are not a fit for her voice). When we have Omawumi and Seyi…maybe she can compete with Tiwa

36. RRL

December 10, 2014 at 12:30 am

She is a great artist and will prove to have substance in her own artistic expression that does not get distracted because of name. GO OLA !!!!!

37. purplegirl

December 12, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Shes good. very good. Can’t wait to see how she blossoms.