Music

Lil Wayne Says Him, Beyoncé & Kanye West are the Last of a Dying Breed; Covers Nylon Magazine

nylonguyslilwayneDo you think Lil Wayne is the last of a dying breed when it comes to music?

According to the rapper, himself as well as Beyoncé and Kanye West are “the last of a dying breed”. In an interview with Nylon magazine (which he lands the cover), he talks about his upcoming album, rapping and much more.

Read excerpts from his interview below:

On rapping: When I first started doing it, you only did it to be the best— not to have a hot song or popularity or for Instagram or Twitter. I’m one of the last of a dying breed…the ones who are only about the music. You have to want to be unforgettable. The only other people who I can think of like that are Kanye West and Beyoncé.

On his process: I’m just a regular street n____ that’s a little smarter than the rest. I rap whatever comes up in my head. Whatever rhymes with the next word and how I’m feeling. I start rapping and we find something within what I just said and make a song out of it.

On weed: I don’t know how it works, but I know that I need weed…extra when I’m creating. It helps in a major way.

For more on his interview pick up the December/January issue of Nylon magazine.

1. newton

December 30, 2014 at 4:20 am

I realy love like wayne and i think that he ils the n’est singer in the world.

• mamamia

December 30, 2014 at 10:15 am

Only, he isn’t a singer

2. jay

December 30, 2014 at 6:40 am

How on earth is Beyonce a dying breed! Girl can’t even sing! There so many that are far better than her! Brandy for example, even if she doesn’t have hit songs of late! Her music are not forgettable, unlike Beyonce! That her albums are forgettable! Same year it’s drops!

• mamamia

December 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

I thought I was the only one that saw past the Beyoncé craze… she’s aite especially as an entertainer nothing mre… I can never rock a Beyoncé album to sleep she will scream me back to earth note how I used scream not sing the girl can scream 4 africa… this album was even better she had a lot of mellow/subtle songs… Kanye on the other hand is a legend!!! Don’t care 4 his person but can’t deny hw much of a genius he is…

• jay

December 30, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Aunty if u r looking for lullabys, u can listen to some Jhene Aiko. Yonce’s voice wouldn’t be so hoarse if she used a lot of autotunes like most of the new breed singers…like it or not, Wayne is right.

• zzzzzzz

December 30, 2014 at 7:52 pm

you know you’re bugging, I don’t even listen to her music like that, and she’s a really good singer, to say otherwise is pure dishonesty.

3. annalise keating

December 30, 2014 at 10:47 am

I love, love, love Lil Wayne. I find him sooo sexy in a dark, twisted s&m kinda way.

4. bruno

December 30, 2014 at 11:07 am

you people should be very careful when you mention beyonce.

many people are still stuck in the I am sasha fierce era. beyonce can’t do the same thing she did in the past. she’s not a nigerian musician that will remix their former hit over and over. (p square and dbanj)

I know what she’s trying to do. she’s trying to create a new sound and push boundaries and make unusual songs. example no angle or mine. thats why her album 4 didn’t sell well. people were not prepared for that kind of sound.

• Anonymous

December 30, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Thank You Bruno. Spot on. Nigerians are always looking for the same boring predictable sound. When someone switches up things, they don’t know how to adapt to the new sound.

This is why our artists will never grow. Nonsense